Unicorn

Unicorn

A Poem by Seren
"

time to say goodnight; rhyme scheme abcddcba.

"




















~ * ~

I saw the last Unicorn

On the side of the road.

It was lying, dead, 

Where someone hit it as it crossed.

Diamond tears hung in the frost 

Which crowned its magnificent head,

And silver blood flowed

From its broken horn. 

~ * ~

© 2014 Seren


Author's Note

Seren
I hate myself for resorting to the use of the word 'diamond' but it was very late, at the time, and I hadn't used that, it might have been 'crystal' instead - and before you know it, I'd be writing Mary-Sue fantasy stories about someone called 'Crystal Moonshine Forgotten-Princess Elfsdaughter,' so please, excuse me...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Real nice. Short, but to the point. Great imagery packed into this. A very real sadness sets in...

Posted 14 Years Ago


this is incredibly poignant in its spareness. but what's really brilliant about this also is the sense of subversion you evoke with the by taking this magical symbol usually associated with gamboling springtime and fantasy and couching it in this very stark landscape. and for that reason the diamond works here. it serves as the magical bridge between the dusty gutter and the fairy forest. there's also the additional backstory suggested by the narrator knowing it is the last unicorn -- whether this is true or not, it certainly is for the narrator, so in that sense we see irony and innocence lost at the same time. something blake might've perhaps invoked with a lamb owned by a chimneysweep. well done!

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is such a poignant, beautiful write. The imagery brings about such a sadness at the loss of one so majestic... The Last Unicorn is one of my favourite fantasy books, and this brought me back to the stirring emotions of that story.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

270 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 13, 2010
Last Updated on August 8, 2014
Tags: unicorn

Author

Seren
Seren

the Graveyard of Ambition, Lovely Ugly Town, United Kingdom



About
Having first managed to drop out of an art school, I graduated from University with an English degree. Please, don't take that to mean I know what I'm doing. Prose is my first port of call, but I spor.. more..

Writing
The L Word The L Word

A Story by Seren



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sleepwalk Sleepwalk

A Poem by Robin


Labyrinth Labyrinth

A Poem by Doreen