The last wolf

The last wolf

A Chapter by Shadow666
"

First chapter, tell me what you think so far!

"

There was a wolf by the name of Felgrand. He gazed upon humanity, and watched as they slowly became a plague upon the earth. They were tearing down their mother, poisoning her. The sky was no longer blue but grey, and the ocean no longer shown with the brilliance of the stars, but shimmered with the sorrow of their mother’s tears. The wolf asked, “Why?” he could only feel pity that the humans had forgotten. They had forgotten that they are not alone on earth. His hatred for them grew, and he wondered as if he could do anything to stop this. Every day he saw more creatures fall to technology, pollution and fear. His heart turned bitter as he journeyed farther to escape their terrible insanity. He searched for a way, hoping one day he would find it. His search led him far into the northern regions of North America.



                Felgrand was padding through a thick evergreen forest, scenting the air for any sign of deer. The frosty terrain dusted his black coat with crystals, making even him shimmer in the early morning dawn. His eyes flashed a deep gold in the morning light, reflecting what he saw before him. His breath steamed in the autumn air as he caught the scent of prey nearby. Catching the sight of a herd of mule deer in a small clearing, his tail raised in anticipation. His hackles rose as his heart began to race. He slowly approached them unnoticed, and spied a weak looking doe. Age seemed to have drained her strength. He quickly lept from his hiding spot, and immediately they were darting away. Adrenalin surged through Felgrand and he quickly advanced on the old doe, and snarled as his fang sank into her exposed neck. Felgrand brought the deer down with a mighty jerk, ending its life in a few moments. He held it there, just to make sure it was dead. He then tore violently into its flesh. Blood poured from the wound as the wolf sated his hunger. His white razor sharp fangs were stained with its blood. He let out a small howl to declare his victory as a predator. As he finished, a single raven descended from the sky and perked on a branch near the kill. It waited for him to finish his meal.


“Fresh meat, come it may. Thanks to thy wolf.” called the bird, and Felgrand immediately jerked his head towards the bird. His hunger sated, he eyed the creature.


“You may eat bird.” The wolf replied. “But first, tell me of any news.”

“News? What do you seek?” the bird asked carefully. The raven eyed the wolf with glittering intelligence. Felgrand was silent, his eyes showed hesitation on wanting to tell the bird.


“Have you seen more…of my kind?” he growled. Felgrand had not seen another wolf, even after he had left the human area known as the United States. The raven immediately fluffed his feathers with anger. It hopped off the branch towards the wolf.


“Thy humans hunt them wolf sire. They kill them with their loud sticks, riding on the wings of the metal dragon.” The bird called, as if he too was enraged by the act. “Their howls will haunt you in your dreams. You sire wolf, are the last that I have seen.”

“Why …?” Felgrand snarled. Knowing full well how dangerous humans are. They were capable of killing from long distances, without even touching them with their guns. Felgrand’s heart was now enraged by humans even more. His eyes seemed on fire, bent on revenge.


“I heard from a crow of the south. He said all wolves are gone now. He doesn’t know why. He says all his kind is suffering in the wild areas without the wolf. They have to move closer to humans now. They say it’s a horrible place indeed. All wolves were driven north, or killed, or so he says.” The raven screeched his answer. He then flew to the half eaten carcass and began gorging himself. Felgrand just stood there watching in disbelief. He could not wrap his mind around the fact that all of his kin was vanishing. With a whine, he ran through the trees to ease his mind. The earth felt cool beneath his paws as the sun warmed his back in the east. Coming to a halt, he gazed at the scene below him. A small human settlement was carved deep in the mountain ravine he had made his home. Felgrand eyed it with hatred, knowing if he got too close it could mean his life. He howled angrily at the sky, digging his claws in the earth to relieve some of his stress. Turning around, he headed back east away from the vile humans. He began running again through the cedar forest. He began following a game trail. Not really having a clue on where he was going. He just knew he had to move. After what seemed to be hours of running, he came to a halt. He had a feeling that this was where he had to go. As if an invisible hand were guiding him. He gazed out in horror of what was before his eyes. A massive wasteland stretched out across the great water that blocked the two landmasses. He could see the skeletal like trees protruding from the ashen ground.


“What is this place?” Felgrand whined, not understanding what could cause such a site. Felgrand scented the air, and all he could smell was ash and salt across the empty grey waterway. He smelled the water, and noticed several dead fish were floating on the water’s surface. He watched them bitterly. He heard the great flapping of a bird, and he turned to see an osprey approach him from the open waters. It landed gently in a tree above him. Felgrand knew immediately the bird was at its end.


“Wolf, you see this terrible site yes?” the great bird asked. Felgrand just nodded. He felt pity; he saw the bird was losing feathers. Its eyes contorted in pain. Felgrand whined softly for the bird.


“This calamity was caused by the humans, their great metal birds that dive from the heavens. They breathed fire and poison…I must tell you something. The great sky has told me this, to pass this message to the last wolf.” The bird let out a terrible screech, his mind seemed scrambled with pain. It glided painfully down next to the wolf. Felgrand let it approach, wondering what kind of thing a bird could tell him.

“The great sky dictates that the last wolf is the one that will summon the sun. You alone will bring back our mother from her dark slumber. Take back the world as it should be. You must travel beyond the moon and stars wolf sire. Be born into the world of the demon, and with their own teeth, bring about their rebirth.” The bird shuddered at the thought, and in agony.


“You are speaking in metaphor…I’m not sure if I understand.” Felgrand tried to say, but the avian shuddered again.


“I know what you seek wolf, this is your answer.” And the great bird shuddered once more and was still. The glow in his eyes left and he was no more. Felgrand held his head low. He looked at the overcast sky now, and howled a song of mourning into the sky.


“Great bird, I hear your words. All I ask now is how? I do not know of a way to travel past the moon, and…” as he said it again. Felgrand knew what it meant. His mind raced, and he didn’t like the idea. The middle aged wolf padded through the ash once more. Memories of his past reached through his mind. Of the last this he was ever taught by his mother.

*****


                Many years ago, the 1 year old Felgrand sat waiting in front of his mother patiently in front of an old oak tree. His tail wagged as his mother approached. They nuzzled each other in greeting.


“What are you going to teach me today mother?” Felgrand asked his mother. Her old ash colored coat was streaked with silver.


“Today…is when we learn of death.” She replied softly. “All things in life must end dear; it is part of the great cycle. For each time you die, you are reborn again until you reach Paradise.”


“Death…” the young Felgrand pondered. He had seen his father die of old age. The memory panged in his heart.


“Paradise is a place where there is no struggle and you are free. It is a place of happiness beyond the moon and stars. You can gaze upon the earth again and watch it change and you may guide others from there. Or so they say.” She continued.


“You mean you don’t know?” Felgrand growled.


“I don’t know everything dear, just what my mother taught me long ago.”  The old wolf laughed.


“Mother, will you go to paradise?” Felgrand asked suddenly. “To be with father…”

The old wolf seemed taken aback at the question. She just nodded.

“I’ve heard that being a wolf is the second to last reincarnation of the great cycle.” She replied. “I will see your father again someday…” the old wolf was silent. Her eyes seemed full of sorrow. Felgrand felt guilty for invoking the memories.


“What is the last?” he asked, wanting to know more.


“To become the greatest of all creatures…the human...” She replied, and immediately Felgrand found it appalling.


“To become one of those monsters…?”  He snarled. “That has to be horrific…”


“I would not know…” she replied, thinking of her mate, wondering if he really was a human now.


“You can be wrong too mother, there could just be paradise…” the young Felgrand explained. He nuzzled his mother lovingly to comfort her. “I understand what you are trying to teach me. You don’t have to say anymore.” His mother whined affectionately and licked her son’s forehead.


“You are so…different son.” she muttered. 


                “I must die…” Felgrand muttered to himself. He had to journey past the stars. He immediately knew what he had to do. He must be reincarnated as a human. He had to become one of the demons to change the fate of the world. He had to save the world from the human’s destructive nature. He pushed his fear from his heart, and ran as hard and fast as he could. He knew it was his last. He felt the world and all the energy around him. He prayed to the great predator that he would accomplish his goal. Felgrand only slowed when he came close to the human settlement again. He felt as if his heart was full of energy he had never known. Without fear he walked into the village. When he reached its center, he howled a song so full of purpose and longing. A howl of his soul, that seemed to make the world fall silent. A human boy looked out the window in wonder. A great black wolf was something they had never seen. Its song seemed to strike fear and wonder in the young human. Across the way, the boy saw a man emerge from a house with a rifle as he approached the wolf. Felgrand just watched him, and sat down in front of him as if asking him to kill him. The wolf lay his head down on his front paws. It cried as if it was already injured. The man with the gun was taken aback. He lowered his gun, and approached the wolf. Thinking maybe it was a tame husky of some sort. Right when he was about to touch it, it lunged and Felgrand sank his teeth into the humans’ throat and gave a mighty jerk and a snarl. The man fell immediately, and the boy in the window screamed in terror. He made it known he was not a tame animal, but the bane of mankind. The wolf howled again, this time as if vengeance had been taken. Its tone seemed to entice fear in everything around it. Several more men emerged with guns, and surrounded the lupine and with a single shot, Felgrand yelped in agony as the bullet pierced his spine. Blood sprinkled the snow and Felgrand whined loudly. Then, with his last effort he howled once more. As if his every essence of sorrow and his purpose was carried to heaven on his last song. The last wolf on earth had died.



© 2013 Shadow666


Author's Note

Shadow666
Thanks for reading, tell me what you think of the subject material!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

268 Views
Added on April 10, 2013
Last Updated on April 10, 2013
Tags: wolf therianthropy therian other


Author

Shadow666
Shadow666

Coure d' Alene, ID



About
I don't post anymore on here. more..

Writing
The Wolf The Wolf

A Book by Shadow666


Forgotten Forgotten

A Poem by Shadow666