No One

No One

A Story by Obscured by the Shadows

The sun rises up right behind the leafless tree in my backyard just like it does every morning, giving it the illusion of it being aflame. It is undeniably beautiful, but that doesn’t cheer me up, not even a little. When someone dies in your life, someone you loved, it is impossible to be truly happy ever again.

            She was the most amazing thing that had ever happened to me, her big eyes, smiling faces and adorable laugh that could make any sad occasion cheerful. She was taken away from me in a matter of moments. One b*****d with a gun, one b*****d who’s day had been a little too off. So much so that he had to take it out on someone else - a little girl, only four years old.

            I remember it vividly: walking down the street, her tiny pink hand wrapped in my own, giving her the impression that she is safe, that I will never let go, that I’ll be there forever, when in reality I needed her almost as much as she needed me. I heard the quick footsteps behind us moments before I heard the click of the gun being loaded. Turning around, I saw his face go from twisted rage to an almost unimaginable calm in a matter of milliseconds, as if the idea of seizing someone else’s life took all his pain away. “Don’t…” I sputtered out before I heard the shot. I waited for the agonizing grip of pain to take hold, but it never did; could he have missed?

            Her small hand goes limp in my own, a tiny squeak escaping her lips as blood blossoms down the front of her shirt. My first thought was blunt, No he didn’t miss. Of course he didn’t, he was three feet away. I sunk to my knees and held her against me, painful, chest-aching sobs shaking my entire body. How could someone do this to a child, such a sweet and chaste child? The last memory I had was watching his slim form disappear around the corner. I looked down into my dying daughter's eyes and watched her life drain away, taken to a place I can’t go just yet.

            I learned that day that no matter how heinous or impossible it sounds, no matter how much you think that it could possibly happen to you, it can. There are horrifying and evil things out in the world and every single one of them is after you - you’re never safe, no one is.

© 2016 Obscured by the Shadows


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

An extremely sad tale. Interesting that she does not consider at first that her daughter could be the target. Who would target one do innocent

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I haven't read a great story like this one is such a long time!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, pretty deep write hey. Truly hope whoever this is for that, that person is aright and knows that everything will be okay as long as she/he stays true to him/herself. And stay strong.
Very nice though

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Obscured by the Shadows

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much
Omg, this story has moved me and made me cry. I hope if this is about you, that you are okay. love this story

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Obscured by the Shadows

8 Years Ago

I am so sorry, this story must have hit home then.
Rose Jaeger Kaneki

8 Years Ago

yeah, but it is okay. she died in my arms and i can't stop crying at all...........................
Obscured by the Shadows

8 Years Ago

I don't even know what to say! That is... so unimaginably terrible.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

319 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 21, 2016
Last Updated on May 6, 2016

Author

Obscured by the Shadows
Obscured by the Shadows

Flagstaff, AZ



About
Hello all. I have been absent from this glorious site for some time now. However, I have decided to try to be a lot more active, post new stuff, reading other people's writing, and entering contests! .. more..

Writing