Boxing Shadows

Boxing Shadows

A Poem by ShadowWolf
"

This was inspired by a young Marine who served two combat tours in Iraq I had the honor of meeting and becoming friends with just over a year ago.

"

Somewhere outside of Time

He stands alone

Somewhere within

The depths of his mind

Crouched in the boxer’s stance

 

Dancing in circles

He jabs he punches

Bobbing and weaving

Battling each murky foe

 

One by one

Each dark lurker

Comes forth

A left hook

An uppercut

 

On and on

He contends

For sanity

For his humanity

 

The smoke the flames

The screams of pain

Then the blow comes

Forcing him to his knees

 

Off balance

Straining to rise

Refusing to be overcome

Denying the horror

Onward he survives

 

 

Until the next round

 

 

 

“For all who have gone before and those yet to come.”

 

© 2008 ShadowWolf


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ohhhh, ShadowWolf.

This is exceptional writing. You've captured so very much here and it has impeccable imagery that leaves little doubt to the horror of it all. Actually, this is the second writing about a marine I've read this evening and I was in the process of writing about a marine that I had the privilege of knowing. Remarkable writing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is just remarkable. Particularly the opening lines:

"Somewhere outside of Time
He stands alone
Somewhere within
The depths of his mind
Crouched in the boxer's stance"

Awesome I tell you!


Posted 15 Years Ago


this is so graceful and elegant. i applaud you

Posted 15 Years Ago


I salute you, for your poignant tribute to this young soldier. So very eloquently written. Nicely done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Shadow Wolf-I read Liz's piece and then I came here--you have captured the torture, the ongoing battle within that I saw so clearly in my friends who returned from Vietnam--some still alive, others who have gone on far sooner than they should have. All tortured by what they experienced. I bow to your words. Well done indeed.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is so beautiful. Truly. Such an understanding of PTSD! Wow...I loved it. Thank you for writing that one.
Brought tears to my eyes...

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well done.

it's sad to know what we as a country allow our politicians to do to our children... taking away their youthful innocence so abruptly, then giving them a lifetime of horrific nightmares to remind them each day of what their service to their country has cost them. not just american soldiers, but all military personnel around the world.

Faerie Blessings

--faerie whisper (breaking the silence...)

Posted 15 Years Ago


Ohhhh, ShadowWolf.

This is exceptional writing. You've captured so very much here and it has impeccable imagery that leaves little doubt to the horror of it all. Actually, this is the second writing about a marine I've read this evening and I was in the process of writing about a marine that I had the privilege of knowing. Remarkable writing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I love how you've made the foe unknown. He is never really seen, only in the mind, but it there in form. I wonder if this is how combat is now. Do they see their enemy or are they ambushed?

Well done!!



Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Again my muse you have inspired me. Through this piece. I have come up with an idea. Our feet walk in the same direction. Wildfleour and Xtabber have done a writing collaboration, theirs on love. Let us do ours, poetic as I do not write prose well maybe, let us do ours on our beloved Veterans. I will have a response poem sometime. Now I am going into the city streets to photograph.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I particularly like this piece. The image of a boxer, fists up, fighting in the ring is very potent. We all have issues where we must "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" .



Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

503 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 17, 2008

Author

ShadowWolf
ShadowWolf

Dallas, TX



About
An "old man", not by choice in the sense of years since I am five years older than dirt and two years older than baseball. Age is simply a state of mind and that being the case then my mind tells me I.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Old Man Old Man

A Poem by ShadowWolf