Cupid

Cupid

A Poem by Shaurya Gulati
"

This poetry is inspired by the music video of "Give me love" by Ed Sheeran.

"
She was a girl,one of her kind
No one loved her, thinking she was out of her mind
Her loneliness grew stronger and stronger,
The hunger for love so unbearable,she couldn't bear it longer.
 
One day she woke up in surprise
she had a pair of wings on her back,with bow and arrows in quiver
The heavens had some plans for her with these gifts in disguise
She felt the power from her heart,for a moment she felt a shiver

She went for her late night walks
Aiming at people,shooting the arrows
At random strangers, who felt a surge of affection
Their barren hearts had finally been treated with a harrow

She saw in surprise the wonders of her power
The change in feelings to sweet from sour
She hit a man,and he fell for the woman next to him
It looked like mad love,developed in a whim
She saw two women kissing after they got hit
Showing their true passion with the conviction of a writ.

She continued this venture till her legs were sore
She was happy that she was spreading love around,living happily daily,a little more.
Till she felt the need of love for herself
went back home and took an arrow 
She felt the pain as it pierced her marrow
and became unconscious, till someone called for help.
As the doctor arrived, to inspect her wounds
The arrow disappeared,and he saw her rise up,a new love story had just bloomed.

© 2017 Shaurya Gulati


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hi, Shaurya. Jay has covered the technical aspects of your poem quite well, so I won't add any more thoughts to that. I liked your subject matter and the way you told the story. You used an Ed Sheeran song for inspiration, that's okay.
One thing I was taught was the best readers make the best writers.
Study Robert Service, Frost, Poe, the romantics, in fact, read any poetry you can get your hands on. Not to copy their work, but to get a sense of how they write.
We each have a style, a voice if you will, but we need to develop it.
Song writers all had influences to draw from to help them develop their own style.
Poets do as well.
Good luck, get reading, keep writing.
Ted

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A Female Cupid... Finally...

I loved the story angle and the flow in this poem. I am actually planning to write a poem with a story theme myself and this write is a good example for me to learn from.

Great job man

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hi, Shaurya. Jay has covered the technical aspects of your poem quite well, so I won't add any more thoughts to that. I liked your subject matter and the way you told the story. You used an Ed Sheeran song for inspiration, that's okay.
One thing I was taught was the best readers make the best writers.
Study Robert Service, Frost, Poe, the romantics, in fact, read any poetry you can get your hands on. Not to copy their work, but to get a sense of how they write.
We each have a style, a voice if you will, but we need to develop it.
Song writers all had influences to draw from to help them develop their own style.
Poets do as well.
Good luck, get reading, keep writing.
Ted

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It is good for a writer to write on something which deeply moves him/her. Keep writing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

One of the things we need to watch out for when writing structured poetry is forcing the line to the rhyme. For example:

“Their barren hearts had finally been treated with a harrow”

You needed a rhyme for arrow, so you created the line to fit the rhyme. A harrow is a blade that breaks up the soil, which doesn’t fit getting together. But you just said that she shot at random. So if everyone she hits has a barren heart, that says everyone has a barren heart, and that she’s breaking up marriages and families by splicing random people. That makes her more a troublemaker than a cupid.

See the problem? The story you’re telling is of far more importance than the rhyme, and must come first. You need to look at logic problems, like telling the reader that she wakes up with wings, which are pretty obvious, then saying they’re gifts “in disguise.”

But more than that, it’s structured poetry. And there’s a lot to it that’s not obvious to that form, so adding the techniques of the form to your toolkit will multiply your possibilities. For example:

• With your first stanza you set up a reader’s expectations. So when you use two rhyming couplets there, in an AABB rhyming configuration, the reader expects that to continue. But in S2 you use ABAB. In S3 it’s ABCB. S4 is AABBCC, so stanza length changes, too. And S5 just meanders, and relates to the rhythms you’ve set up not at all.

• In addition to the flow of words, the stresses placed on the words within the poem add a cadence that keeps a beat, which is why it’s easy to set a poem to music. That means selecting words to keep that beat, in addition to any rhyming at line ends. That’s something that matters even in unstructured poetry to make it flow, as Shakespeare said, “Trippingly from the tongue.”

Have your computer read the poem aloud and you’ll hear the problem. And it matters a great deal because poetry is meant to be read aloud.

It’s not a matter of talent, or how well you’re writing. It’s that lots of things, in any field, aren’t obvious till they’re pointed out. And as Mark Twain observed, “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”

Take a look at Robert Service’s, The Cremation of Sam McGee. The link below sends you to Shmoop, where they not only present the poem, they explain what the writer was doing, and why. The poem was written more than 100 years ago but it’s still fun to read.
http://www.shmoop.com/cremation-sam-mcgee/

Another great resource is the excerpt to Stephen Fry’s, The Ode Less Traveled. He provides exceptional insight into the basics of rhyme and prosody.

I’m sorry my news isn’t better, but no matter what, Hang in there, and keep on writing,

Jay Greenstein
https://jaygreenstein.wordpress.com/category/the-craft-of-writing/

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shaurya Gulati

7 Years Ago

Thanks for the wonderful review, I honestly need such advices and honest reviews. I'll surely make a.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

238 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 2, 2017
Last Updated on February 2, 2017
Tags: Love, Cupid, Arrows, Heart

Author

Shaurya Gulati
Shaurya Gulati

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India



About
I'm a teenager pursuing computer engineering. I love to write poetry, though I never had the courage to publish them anywhere. For me,poetry has always been a powerful tool for expressing my thoughts... more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The End The End

A Poem by Giulia King