Chapter 1-1: A Young King

Chapter 1-1: A Young King

A Chapter by SheaRyhai
"

With the death of the King, Queen Aailyah and Lord Chancellor Balloch must move quickly to secure their hold over the young prince and his throne.

"

Ash & Soot © 2012 by SheaRyhai


Chapter 1: A Young King

Queen Aailyah waited in the throne room, standing but a few feet from the seat of power now relinquished from her husband’s dying hand. It had finally come to this point. So many careful plans, bribery, torture, threats, and other deeds she did not care to remember. What did the past matter when the present was here, blessing her with this victory.

She raised her chin and proceeded up the steps, stopping just inches from the chair, eying it’s red satin fabric laced with gold thread. Unquenchable hunger etched itself across her beautiful face as she raised a trembling hand to reach for the royal scepter that rested on the cushion.

“Your majesty, the Lord Chancellor approaches,” a herald called from behind the purple and black curtains bearing the royal emblem of the unicorn and lion.

Aailyah withdrew and turned to face the royal court now bare except for a few servants. Her ladies-in-waiting moved to flank her on both sides, their wary eyes waiting for the Chancellors appearance. A small smile touched the Queen’s lips as she watched two of them reach within the folds of their skirts for daggers. Many were on edge with the King’s sudden death, but Aailyah was far from afraid.

Chancellor Balloch marched into the throne room alone. At thirty-three he was ten years older then the young queen, who was the late kings second wife. He was a handsome man, but one to be cautious of. Still, Aailyah knew it was only with his help that she would hold the throne from any greedy rivals.

“My Queen,” he bowed politely at the neck, his wavy brown hair falling forward to caress his bearded cheeks. “The physician has left the royal chambers.”

Then it is done, he is finally dead…

With a deep sigh, she bowed her head in a display of grief she did not feel. Relief washed over her, and she unwittingly swayed in place drawing concerned murmurs from her ladies. She could not afford this weakness now, there was still so much to be done.

“Leave us,” Aailyah ordered coldly, eyes on the hem of the silk black dress she had chosen that morning in anticipation of this news. Her ladies hesitated, casting looks of distrust and unease at Chancellor Balloch, but obediently made their way past him to the door. Aailyah waited until the swishing of their skirts had faded behind closed doors before she raised her head and smiled. “There was no trouble with his death?” she asked walking past him, gray eyes searching the shadows of the court room for any unnecessary ears.

“The physician was baffled, and there are plenty who suspect foul play, but you have the favor of the lords and no one would dare to whisper murder,” Balloch answered confidently. He watched her with those keen dark brown eyes and waited patiently until she circled back to him.

“They are with me only if the child rules and I act as regent,” Aailyah remarked with a ting of bitterness, stopping before the throne once more.

“You act as regent, I enforce your wishes as viceroy.” Balloch moved behind her, eyes roaming the long dark waves of her hair, the pale white skin of her neckline and shoulders. “The prince will be nothing but a symbol to the people, and a puppet to our wishes.”

“Our wishes?” Aailyah turned to regard him coldly. “Do you presume that I will become your puppet as well?”

“No, my Queen,” Balloch bowed his neck once more, though a smile played on his lips. “But you can not hold this throne without me.”

Vicious, arrogant dog…

Aailyah smiled with dangerous charm as she turned to approach her ‘partner’. Gently she stroked her fingers against his bearded check, while her eyes searched his for the desire she knew was there. It was her beauty and youth that had brought her here, carried her into the bed of the king as his consort and then Queen. This same beauty that blinded her husband, dying slowly of poison that mimicked a strange illness. She watched Balloch’s pupils expand, felt his breath quicken, and the rapid beating of his pulse when her finger tips slid down his throat.

“If that is all,” she stepped around him towards the door, “I have a funeral to arrange-”

“Wait.” She froze eyes darkening at the commanding tone in his voice. “There is a matter that must be attended to immediately,” he added with more humility. Replacing a subtle smile on her lips, she turned back to him.

“And what matter would that be?” she asked patiently.

“General Asher,” Balloch answered grimly.

Closing her eyes briefly, Aailyah nodded. Of course her late husbands ‘dearest friend’ would probably be the first to suspect them, and with his influence over the King’s army and other lords-

“He has already spoken publicly in favor of granting regency to Lord Feagan, another of the King’s closest friends,” Balloch added bitterly.

“He thinks to take my duty as Queen-”

“General Asher argues that you are not the child’s true mother, nor are you likely to raise the prince in a manner his father would have wished.”

Aailyah laughed bitterly, marveling at her husbands interfering friend’s usual ability to get under her skin.

“Then we must silence his tongue and settle this matter quickly,” she declared coldly.

“And how do you purpose we do this?” Balloch asked curiously, watching her with keen interest.

“The solution is simple, Asher must die too.”

~*~

Prince Cailean followed the steward to the throne room with unease. His eyes were red from crying and he knew the Queen would criticize him for showing such weak emotion. His step-mothers usual sweet nature had changed drastically over the past month since the King’s strange illness began. At first he thought she was simply frightened by the Kings daily weakening and loss of speech, but he had seen her that day during the rituals for the three moons. He had slipped away from his servants to bring her flowers, and she had been smiling. That cold smile had haunted his dreams for weeks, and now that his great father was dead, Cailean feared he would see its true meaning.

The Royal Guard greeted them in the Hall of Knights, their black armor and red decorative capes marking their deadly rank among the king’s army. They formed a circle around him and the steward, then escorted them the rest of the way to the throne room. As always their presence made Cailean feel small and helpless rather than protected and safe. The Royal Guard’s true loyalties lay with the High Lord Chancellor, especially now that the King was dead.

Queen Aailyah waited inside with her ladies-in-waiting. He recognized the Lord Chancellor Balloch whispering in her ear, and the cold knot in his stomach tightened still further. The herald announced their arrival belatedly, all eyes turned towards him as the Royal Guard parted in the front.

He walked forward, determined to show no fear. He would not let his father down. Tears threatened when he saw the empty chair, but Cailean tightened his hands and looked away meeting the gray eyes of the Queen.

“You poor child,” Aailyah swept down the stairs and knelt to hug him fiercely. Cailean stiffened, surprised, and waited until she released him. “Our beloved King is gone,” she whispered pulling him down on his knees with her and pressing him against her chest. He felt the wetness of her tears on his ears and neck and was baffled by them.

Perhaps he had been wrong…

“Come, my King,” she released him and Cailean felt his throat tighten as that cold smile spread across her face.

King…

“Allow me to escort you to your seat.” Her grip tightened around his wrist as she rose to her feet, but he hid his pain and remained, kneeling on the carpet floor. “Do not be afraid dear child,” she murmured soothingly, though her tone held a hint of laughter. Cailean felt his blood boiled, but he allowed her to lead him up the stairs to his father’s throne.

What was her meaning…why name him king? He was obviously to young to assume that title.

The empty chair was before him, and with it the ruler’s scepter. Aailyah released his hand and went to stand in front of her usual seat beside the King’s. She turned to face the court room, a confident smile on her pretty face.

His fear hummed frantically, turning his body numb as Cailean turned to face the court room, taking notice of the faces there, and the many not present. None of his father’s friends were among them. Like a mouse in a trap he contemplated any means of escape, but knew there were none. If he stepped away from the throne now he was only giving more power to Aailyah and Balloch.

With a pounding heart he picked up the scepter and took his seat. All the lords present hastily dropped to their knees before shouting, “Long live the King! Long live the King!” Their voices cracked at him like whips, and his grip on the scepter tightened.

“Thank you gracious lords for showing your support to my young King,” Aailyah murmured with motherly pride, reaching over to grasp Cailean’s hand. “Your loyalty will be rewarded, as will you strength against the traitors.”

Cailean did his best not to pull away. What traitors was she speaking of? He searched the crowd of nobles again, hoping to see the face of his father’s most trusted friend, General Asher. Balloch stepped forward to address the nobles, a scroll of parchment in his hands.

“Our King has not grown cold and already those, who called themselves his friend and loyal servants, dare to challenge his son’s rightful claim to the throne,” Balloch roared with indignation. The lords stood fist and voices rising in a show of anger. “King Cailean may be young, but he is the rightful heir to the throne!” Again they cheered Balloch’s words with enthusiasm. “And though Queen Aailyah may not have given birth to him, she has been his mother for two years and is the rightful Queen!”

Cailean whipped his head towards her, feeling his skin crawl as his young mind grasped the meaning behind those words. Aailyah sensed his gaze and turned towards him, her pretty face did not mask the intensity of her vicious smile. It was he who looked away first, feeling helplessly out-maneuvered. Balloch approached the throne and knelt before them before he passed the scroll to Aailyah.

“My young King,” Aailyah opened the scroll and held it out to him. “You must sign this in order so your loyal subjects may save your throne from these traitors.”

“You would have me kill my father’s friends?” Cailean asked, his voice barely above a whisper. Balloch’s head rose sharply and his gaze swept to the queen. The prince ignored him, inwardly shrinking as Aailyah smiled broadened.

“Do you think me so wicked?” she chided patiently, presenting the scroll for him to read. “If you truly want to save your father’s friends then you will sign this. It only calls for the death of one man.”

Cailean read the scroll hurriedly, skimming over the lines of falsified claims of treason until he reached the name of the accused. Lord Eagan Asher, General of the King’s Army.

“Impossible,” Cailean recoiled from the scroll. “I will not sign it.” Inwardly his fears that his father’s death was not the result of some unknown sickness roared to life, and with it silent understanding that his own life could be taken.

“You poor dear child,” Aailyah murmured sympathetically. “Perhaps they are right, thirteen years is too young to rule. Then it shall fall to me to look after you as your regent, and of course I can not afford to be so forgiving to the traitors.” Balloch passed her another scroll which she held out to Cailean. The list of names was vast and he knew most of them. Aailyah turned from him and motioned to a page who quickly hurried forward with a writing desk, pen, and ink.

“It’s your decision,” Aailyah explained carefully rolling out both scrolls and weighing them down with small golden lion statues. “One of these will be signed, either by a King - or his regent.”

~*~



© 2012 SheaRyhai


Author's Note

SheaRyhai
Looking for feedback about the characters and story plot. Is there any confusion, any parts that could use more detail?

Editing and critiques welcome but please give examples.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I enjoyed this, however there were a few things that could be touched up. Mostly the description. Your dialogue is very good and only needs some minor polishing in a few places. The characters were interesting, but I felt like you over complicated them and tried to get too much out of too little. If this is a fantasy world, you should probably add a little more detail as to what's going on outside the room and who's who.
About the description, my main criticism is that you kept attaching detail to everything, like in the beginning when you mention the herald walking through the curtain and describe the curtain at the same time. Try to split up the description of the action and the setting into separate pieces. Besides that, I thought you started off with a bit much in the beginning, a little too thorough on the desription, maybe start with a description of the coffin, but don't get too detailed. It's just an opinion.
Anyways, pretty good overall.


Posted 12 Years Ago


I loved the story right from the beginning. The way you described her actions, like how she was looking at the throne, tells the audience what kind of person she is. Aaliyah most defintely likes power and you can tell just by the way you described her interactions without having to tell them yourself. And I liked how the young boy kept on doubting his own mind that he might be wrong about his stepmother, clearly shows that he is too young to see the world around him. It's a very nice, thought-out plot. Good job.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like your story. Maybe you could explain more details about how Aailya looks like. kkeep on writing ^^.

Maybe you could feedback my book as well. I am not english, so i guess i made some mistakes.. i wonder what you think of it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Hmm... at first reading the story was a little confusing since it was a little hard to figure out what was happening presently (character exposition and whatnot), but without overdoing the information overload you managed to pull off an interesting start to a story I hope to read more of in the future. :) Cheers~!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

311 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 15, 2012
Last Updated on January 15, 2012
Tags: king, queen, throne, death, loyal, friends, general, murder, regent, young


Author

SheaRyhai
SheaRyhai

Wonderland, TN



About
Hello Dear & New Friends and Readers It has been a while since I last logged onto this or any writing account. It has also be a rather long time since I publicly published any of my stories or poem.. more..

Writing