Chapter 1-2

Chapter 1-2

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 1-2


Ma dressed quickly even though she was very drossy, Mary and Lizzy waked up their sister Betty to get her moving; leaving the other girls in their bedroom with Steve's wife guarding the door. Pa picked up EJ out of the tub like a limp rag doll. He’s was so tired EJ barely opened his eyes, almost delirious. Pa dashed down the hall out onto the porch and quickly wrapped him in damp cold quilt folding another around him with some ice to keep him cool. Pa placed him in the back of the pickup with Ma, putting EJ's head in her lap and jump into the driver seat with Doc on the other side. Robert and Will climbed in the back with Ma. Pa yelled back to Julie. “Take care of the little ones and get some sleep.”


Doc screamed. “Wayne, mind the ruts and don't spare the horses, let’s go, man, your grandmother and them got it, boy.”


Doc was right; Grandma and the aunts had everything under control. The first thing they did was send Julie straight to bed. “When breakfast is done dear will bring it into you dear, now go to bed,” Grandma said.


“But Grandma the chores still have to be done, and little ones need to be watched, you need help with breakfast,” she replied.


“Hogwash child. You have done more than your share… now scoot, off to bed.” She said with a kiss on her cheek and swift kick towards her room.


Mary waked Anna and the girls. “All right you three. We have a very busy day, especially you two.” Mary said as she pointed to Peggy and Dona, placing her arm around Anna. “Anna dear, your sister Julie has been up half the night, so please let her sleep. Your brothers have gone with your parents to take EJ to the hospital, so you'll have to help Richard with their chores.”


“Yes ma’am,” she replied. Anna was a tomboy at heart and could feel comfortable wearing jeans rather than nice farmer dresses unlike her sister Julie and her mother. She was considered short for her age at five feet-two inches, but that didn’t stop her from beating her brothers when came too wrestling.  Her eyes where a soft chocolate brown which went well with her light brown hair that when the morning sun shined on it turn golden honey.


Anna was known for her stubborn streak that matched her mothers. Sometimes she worries that her family hid things from her because she does not act as mature as her sister Julie. Thinking they need to always have to handle her with kid gloves. If only they could see her who she really was, not a little girl anymore but a young woman. Perhaps after she graduates from High School this coming year, things will change for her as they did for her sister. There is nothing more she loved than having her bothers around her all the time and being with her sister and mother. She hoped when she grows up she can make them proud of her.


“Now then you girls hurry and get dressed, we have lots to do today before they get back,” Mary said. “Steve you need to stay in that bed,” as he tries to get up and his wife sits him right back down in it. “And when Richard gets done with the chores that's where he's going.”


Loraine pointed to him walking down the hall shaking her head.  “Us woman folk and can handle things just fine around here without you men for awhile,” shaking her fingers at them. Loraine was Steve’s better half and always let him know it. She stood just a few inches taller with her long nimble legs reaching six feet one and a half. She was three years older than her husband of six years and been hoping for children, but so far hasn’t had any and not for the lack of trying, times have been hard when they discussed the idea, but there is still hope; more so now, considering she found out she is pregnant and hadn’t yet told him.


Perhaps when he wakes and if he has been a good boy she will tell him her little secret. She has high cheekbones that set off her green eyes and short brown hair hiding the gray when she tied into a bun and has been known to be stubborn or just as stubborn as her husband when comes to getting her way. Her style of dress wasn’t that much different from Martha and her daughters even though she might not be in woman’s fashion magazine. It was comfortable and yet plain. She was a stay at home wife taking care of other peoples children in her home for extra income to help pay the bills. She rubbed her stomach feeling a little bump thinking how nice it would be to raise her own children for a change.


* * *


Pa parked the pickup right at the hospital doors; Payson Hospital wasn’t as large or fancy as Provo’s with only thirty-five beds and had no emergency room like the larger hospitals. Pa picked EJ up in one swoop in his arms; the boys help Ma out of the back of the pickup.Doc in the lead banged on the doors for the nurse to let them in. “I am sorry sir, we’re not open yet,” she replied as the nurse came to the door.  “Can you come back in a couple more hours?” She asked.


Doc and Wayne forced their way through the door, Doc said. “Listen here missy; I will not come back in a couple of hours we need that Doctor… NOW!”


Doc stands right up to the nurse, his face turned red. Walked right passed her down the hall with Wayne, Ma and the boy's right behind him. Another nurse pops right in front of Doc, he just pushed her to the side as he grabbed a gurney for EJ for Wayne to set him on. “You can't go in there, sir!” The nurse said as she tried to step in his way.


“Watch me, missy! I have just about enough of this! Now git me that Doctor on the horn!” he said as he watched that nurse turn white.

|
Robert whispered over to Will. “I wondering if Doc himself might need Doctor,” watching the blood vestals pop on his head. “I've never seen him so mad, but man can he make a nurse jump,” Robert said watching them scurry down the hall.


Ma wiped the sweat off EJ's head with a towel that she had found off the cart; Doc found some more ice for them. “What's all the racket in my hospital?” Doctor Whitmore said seeing the Doctor Hatfield walking through the door. A nurse pointed at Doc Hatfield. “Well I’ll be a Sunday preacher if that doesn’t sound a lot like Doc Hatfield,” he said. 


Doctor Kollie Whitmore. Born and raised in a small village of Kenya Eastern Africa which was near the Indian Ocean. His parents died when he was two, leaving his grandparents to raise him and when he turned nineteen sent him to Emory University School of Medicine. To become a Doctor in specialized medicine and served in the Vietnam war where he met Doctor Hatfield and worked by his side for nearly five years.


During that time they traveled the United States training nurses and young doctors for the Red Cross. He met his young wife Rena at a local dance in a small town of Evansville Kentucky where he was stationed at the time and was married week later. Not once has he ever looked back as he held a locket of her hair around his neck. He towered over most men reaching the height 7 feet tall due to his long legs. Having brown hair, blue eyes and a strong jawline. Like his grandfather and had his mother's aristocratic noses. Kollie loved his life as a doctor and being the father of two boys Frank and Mark the spitting image of him when he was a boy.


“Doctor Whitmore he's early according to the schedule, he's not supposed to be seen until noon, you are booked up until then,” the nurse replied.


“I see,” he said looking at the schedule. “Doc you must have had a good reason,” Doc Whitmore said as he looked at the boy on the gurney.


“I did or I wouldn't be here, you know that?” Doc said as he started to turn red again.


“Let’s take a look see then shall we?”


The nurses stepped in his way. “You can't Doctor, your schedule is full and their not even checked in,” she replied.


That did it, Doc Hatfield blew a gasket right there in the middle of the room, as his face was about to explode fiery hot; Robert and Will knew that nurse better run because she was going to need a Doctor and soon.


Before Doc was able to mutter one single word. Doctor Whitmore, just picked up the clipboard with schedule tossed it out the door. “Now as I was saying,” he said bearing down at his nurse. “Let’s have look see shall we?” The nurse looked at the clipboard on the floor than at the Doctor, her lips trembling, he just muttered calmly. “Just have them rescheduled since they are here already,” and went on about his work.


“Now than Doc, tell me what you have brought me?” He said seeing EJ all wrapped up like Thanksgiving turkey. “I see, yes, hum, that is a problem.” As Doc tried to explain, “Can’t keep him cool enough, infection bad, wounds won't heal… Humm, I see.”  Doctor Whitmore said.


“Well Doctor let’s get a cracking instead standing there looking at him,” replied Doc Hatfield.


“Doc simmers down; you need to calm down a bit. How many cups of old Joe have you had today?” He asked.


“Why you..." Doc Hatfield was getting redder by the minute, steam blowing out of his ears.


“All right, all right; man you have gotten uptight over the years since I've known ya.” Doc Whitmore replied. Doc Whitmore slowly uncovered EJ. “What a mess,” seeing some the wounds that were still healing. EJ incoherent and mostly dozy like sleep, mumbling of heat and pain as Ma wiped the sweat off his face and head, wiping a tear from her eyes with the back of her right hand. “You are right Doc, this boy is burning up and those wounds are infected. Let's go get an x-ray of those ribs. Nurse, find this boy a sheet and some ice packs, move it! You say these are his parents?” Doc nodded his head yes.


“Nurse, give them the paperwork while we're getting the x-ray. Oh, that schedule cancels it looks like I'm booked for the day. Well, Doc let’s go or are you just going to just stand there,” he said throwing him a coat.


“Yes, I see.” Doc Whitmore said as he looked at the x-ray pointed with his finger. “Snapped clean through and this pouch behind the ribs got something in it, got to be removed; nasty business Doc. This boy going be in a lot of hurt after we re-break these ribs, but I think if we… maybe, yes… I think I can do it with re-breaking two instead of three,” putting his hand on his chin looking at the boy.


“Doctor he's burning up again,” the nurse replied.


“Thanks, nurse, let’s dip him in the cold tank first, and give him something to help him sleep.”


“Doctor what about those stitches?” The nurse asked.


Well, we are going to reopen them, so it’s not going to matter much. Just put him to sleep and cool him off.”


“Yes Doctor,” the nurse replied.


Ma, Pa and the boys went down to the waiting room and paced back and forth as they seemed to be wearing the floor out. Doctor Hatfield walked into the room, they rush over to him. “He’s doing fine. They just put him to sleep and cooled him off and removed all the infection. The Doctor is just getting ready to,” Doc swallows. “To re-break, those ribs Martha too remove that pouch. There's a small cafeteria down the hall if you folks want to grab a bite? He'll be in surgery for least another hour or so,” he said.


Martha, Wayne tried to smile, Doc placed his hand on Martha's shoulder “he'll be fine” and walked back down the hall. Wayne wrapped Martha in her arms held her close to him. He does what he can to comfort her and the boys. None of them really felt like eating, but Pa took them down there anyway to pass the time away. After an hour, then two, then three went by; Doc Hatfield finds them grinning ear to ear, nearly laughing as he carried a small jar. “Wayne, Martha, boys; he's in his room recovering. You can go in and see him if you like, but we’re going to keep him overnight I'm afraid. Martha, you would not believe what we found?” Doc said showing them the jar. Inside the jar was bits of pieces of Mr. Scarecrow and some tiny bits of glass and straw unwrapped.


“That scarecrow was the source of the infection behind his ribs; the glass would keep reopening the wound,” Doc said.


Martha didn't find it nearly as amusing or as funny. In fact, she wanted to take that glass jar and toss it to the moon if she could. “I never did like that scarecrow,” Martha said her eyes barring down on Doc and that jar. Boys and Pa didn't say a word, they knew better to mess with Ma on this point. Doc carefully put the jar back into his packet wiped the smile from his face, keeping the treasure for himself.


Doc leads the way down the hall toward EJ's room, safely tucked in bed “Doctor Whitmore says he'll still have the fever for a couple more days at least, but it won't be as bad, he just needs to sweat it out, Martha. Now we have to keep him overnight, so they can keep an eye on him. You are welcome to stay if you like, but he needs his rest,” Doc said.


Martha finds a chair in the corner of the room near the window. “You got that right Doc, I' am not leaving this spot,” as she pulled a chair right by his side his bed taking his hand and placing it in hers.


Doc turned to Wayne and the boys. “Wayne, I'd doubt you could drag her out, so stay few minutes then we’ll head on back to the farm,” he said.


Wayne nodded his head watching Martha taking EJ's hand in hers, stroking the other against his cheek. Wayne bent down gave her a kiss on the head. “Wayne I won't leave him, not for another minute dear,” as tears ran down her cheeks.


“I'll take the boys back dear, and come back,” Wayne said.


EJ sound asleep Robert, Will, and Pa each placed hand on his shoulder whispered in his ear. “Stay put,” Pa whispered. “I will be back, stay put and Ma's right here.” 


Doc followed them out the door leaving orders at the desk, telling them to make up bed for Martha in the same room and they will be checking in on him throughout the day. “And next time when I come, you better let me in or else!” Doc said glaring down at the nurses.


Pa, Doc and the boys returned to the farm, Pa thanked Doc for all his help and sent him on his way. Pa went into the house and updates everyone on the news and sent his boys back to bed. Seeing the women folk have the run of the house, they pushed him out the door. “Wayne, we don't need ya, were fine, go back to your son and your wife,” Mary said.


Grandma opened the door with a swift kick to get him moving. “Now scoot boy, and stop doodling.”


Pa laughed. “Yes, ma’am.” He turned the key headed back down the road, back to his son and his wife, with another clean sheet for EJ and overnight bag for him and his wife.


Ma sat in the chair next to the bed, holding EJ's hand, EJ started to wake up. Ma could feel his fingers moving in her hand and looked at his face as his eyes are slowly open. Still drowsy from the medication, he moaned from the pain on his side and his legs. Ma leaned over close to his face whispered to him. “It’s ok EJ… I'm here son, your Ma's here,” she said kissed his cheek and stroked his hair. The nurse came into the room. Ma sees her and she tells the nurse he's waking up to find the Doctor.


The nurse nodded her head making a quick note on the chart. After a few minutes, Doctor Whitmore walked into the room. Ma nearly gasped at the sight of him. Doctor Whitmore laughed at her. “Oh, this?” Pointing at his clothing. “This is my native clothing from my homeland.” He said as he spins around. “It’s called a “Kitenge gown.” Very comfortable I might add… keeps me cool and dry, my wife made it for me,” he said.


“Where are you from Doctor Whitmore if I might ask?” She asked.


“Oh didn't Doc tell you? Well, that old sawbones. I'm from East Africa, came over during the war,” he said. “Let me see,” as he turned towards EJ’s chart then glanced over at him seeing him starting to wake up. “Yes, yes I see. Good. He’s coming around, nasty business those wounds of his, but I think got it.” Wayne walked in the room seeing Doctor Whitmore; his eyes nearly hit the floor. He's never in his life or thought he sees a man in the dress. Now he's looking at his son.


Martha laughed seeing the expression on his face and whispered in his ear. “He’s from East Africa dear. It's called a “Kitenge gown” trying not to stare.  “EJ's is waking up dear.” She said as she pointed to the bed Pa smiles at EJ not yet fully aware yet.


Doctor Whitmore turned to Wayne. “Give him another hour he'll be awake I think. Then will bring him in some food and lots to drink, lots, and lots.” He makes another note in the chart. “The nurse will be in few minutes to give him something to help with the pain. I'll be back in while after I make my rounds.”


Wayne and Martha watched him leave staring at that colorful dress he was wearing going out the door. It had so many colors that seemed to blur together. Three kinds of reds and yellows as well what you might think it was a bright orange as bright as it was. It had V nick with white lace around the neck and the sleeves and was almost as long as a woman’s dress except it went only past his knees. Heck, he even had a necklace of sort of tooth and black beads on a gold chain “Oh my dear, did you ever see such a thing?” Wayne said as he disappeared around the corner.


EJ hearing voices in the room. “Ma is that you?”


Ma leans over to his bed taking his hand. “Yes son, I'm here and Pa is here too.”


Pa grabbed a chair sitting on the other side of the bed taking the other hand leaned over so EJ can see him. “I’m right here son.” EJ sighed with relief and relaxes a bit, turned his head. “Ma it really hurts… and it so hot,” he replied.


“I know son. The nurse will be in to give you something for the pain. Doc said fever will lesson in a couple of days.” Ma said as she wiped his forehead and face with a cool towel sat with him and tried to make it as comfortable as possible. The nurse finally came in with the meds; Martha gave her a stern look as it took her long enough.


It wasn’t till later that afternoon when the Doctor made his appearance again; EJ eyes went wide as he walked in the door seeing this man in this flowing rob dress, EJ whispered over to Ma. “That mans wearing a dress Ma?”


Pa and Ma trying very hard not to laugh or stare at the Doctors dress. Just whispered back “I know son, try not to stare,” she said.


“Well, well. Look who’s awake,” as he walked in. Doctor Whitmore went over to EJ picked up his chart. “Son I see you have been busy, yes sir.” Doctor Whitmore said sitting on the bed, picking up his dress and bending his knees. EJ’s eyes never leaving the sight of this man dress. It could stop a horse in the middle of the street; they would go blind by all the colors. “Let’s take a peek shall we at those stitches,” he said.


EJ eyes drifted toward Ma then at Pa she nods and whispered in his ear. “It’s all right.” EJ swallowed hard then nods his head closed his eyes.


Ma and Pa held his hand why he lets the Doctor look. “Much better, if I don’t say so and I do. Yes, you are going very tender I see son for quite some time. I understand school starts in a couple more weeks.” EJ nods as they cover him back up. “Well you won’t be going not with those wounds I am afraid,” he said.


Ma turned to Doc. “We were already been informed, thank you, Doctor,” Ma said as she brushed EJ hair.


Doc laughed. “I know Martha, Wayne, Doc Hatfield filled me in,” as he smiled rubbing EJ’s head. “Old sawbones doesn’t miss a trick,” he said as stood shaking his dress. “He said you had a problem and I have the solution.” He said as he spins around in his fancy dress.


Martha gasped. “No Doctor!” Her eyes go wide, “you got to be kidding?” She said when she looked up at him and then EJ in the bed.


“Martha, when I was a boy in my country, we were poor. This is what we wore. In fact, we still do, just not as fancy as this. Here I brought some pictures.” He said as he sets down a photo album from his country with him and Doc in it. Wayne and Martha turned the pages, eyes glaring back and forth. Never had they seen such a sight, Doc never looked so young. “Doc was the one that brought me and my family over after the war you know. That old rascal, a country Doctor; who would ever have thought I ever see him again?”



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I’ve noticed that grammar might not be your forte, but this chapter’s a bit of a mess. Sometimes I wasn’t sure what was happening, though I enjoyed the last parts.

The part after the first part where you talked about EJs relatives at home doesn’t seem to serve an obvious purpose to the story, so I don’t feel like you should keep it.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shep

4 Years Ago

Thanks for the review, I will consider it and go back through it. And no grammar is not my best su.. read more



Reviews

I’ve noticed that grammar might not be your forte, but this chapter’s a bit of a mess. Sometimes I wasn’t sure what was happening, though I enjoyed the last parts.

The part after the first part where you talked about EJs relatives at home doesn’t seem to serve an obvious purpose to the story, so I don’t feel like you should keep it.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shep

4 Years Ago

Thanks for the review, I will consider it and go back through it. And no grammar is not my best su.. read more
Ooh, I like Doc Whitmore. I assume this is set in the 1950s or 60s, and that costume sure would be astonishing. I love that little EJ is told to not stare. They are raising him to be polite and open minded. despite being quite overwhelmed by the novelty of the costume as well.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


Shep

4 Years Ago

Thank you... actually the setting is closer to the late 70 Doc Whitmore from South Africa its one of.. read more
I have to pause here, Shep, just for a bit. I'm about to get a shower and get ready for dinner, but I am enjoying this story and will be back in a couple of hours. I am taking my niece out for her birthday tonight.
During that time I'll be playing what I've read so far back and forth in my head.

I shall return soon.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Shep

5 Years Ago

ok have fun
Wesley Dingler

5 Years Ago

i'm gonna read one more first.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 10, 2019
Last Updated on January 16, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep