Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 2


Wayne, Martha was having a hard time taking it all in looking at this dress this man was wearing. “Tell you what, I have a boy at home just about his size. I’ll have my wife bring him over one and he can try it on for size. My two boys at home love them during the summer after the sun goes down. Their cool, dry and they are just what this poor boy needs if he wants to go anywhere that is without a sheet. Because we need him up and moving out of that bed in two days no more than that. In fact, day after tomorrow would be good too as long he takes it nice and slow,” he said.


“Now then,” he paused, making last of the notes in the charts. “I’ll see you,” pointing at EJ, “In the morning.” Doctor Whitmore said pausing before leaving. “Doc says that you are staying with him that’s fine. I’ve ordered the nurse to set up a bed next to him; if you need anything just yell. Doc says you are good about that and keeping my nurse’s on their toes,” as he laughed then walked out of the door. The three of them watched that dress, shaking their heads as it disappeared around the corner. Pa and EJ crack up laughing, EJ grabbing his sides because hurts too much to laugh and he could barely breathe.


The nurse came in with a large tray of food for EJ to eat and two full pitchers of water and juice. “Doctor said he wants you to eat it all and drink all this and eat every last bit.” EJ stopped laughing looked at the tray piled high with food.


Ma cracked up and smiles at the nurses. “He will.” The nurse set down a tray for his Ma and his Pa on the table. “I’ll make sure of it,” Ma replied taking the tray and helping her prop up EJ in the bed. Ma helped cut up his food and Pa smiled and grabs a seat next to the bed. She did too; until every last crumb was gone then she wiped his chin and kissed his cheek. Then setting the trays outside the door they cooled him tucked him in his sheets in bed and they never left his side all night long.


The next morning Doctor came by with his wife and his boy wearing a similar dress made of blue swirls carrying a package under her arm. “Good morning Martha, Wayne, EJ,” picking up his chart. “This is my wife Rena and my son Frank.” He said introducing them.


EJ says “hi,” staring at the boy and the Doctors dress.


“Please to meet ya’ll,” they replied Wayne and Martha nodded trying so hard not to stare at the dress.


Rena whispered back.” You git used to it dear,” giggling. “They really are quite comfortable and the boys do seem to like them,” seeing their expression on their faces. “Personally I think my husband likes the attention he gets wearing it. It always causes such a disturbance in the room. I, myself think it looks little too flashy, but the boys like it so hey go with it. Besides who cares what everyone else thinks I always say,” she said.


Rena Roslyn Whitmore named after her grandmother born and raised in a small backwoods town in Evansville Kentucky and was married by the time she turned seventeen like most girls her age. She was small in statures like her mother at 5 feet 6 with long raven black hair and blue eyes. Her face rounded around the corners with slim but patine button nose giving her the look of angel according to her husband and her two boys. She had a stubborn streak that would put a mule to shame and was happy to be a stay at home mom, but she had the knack of a seamstress and made leather sandals and other leather goods to sell in the market during the long summer months and was known for her homespun clothing.


Frank was the oldest and took after his father with his short brown hair and bright blue eyes and chiseled chin. He was growing fast for a boy of 14 almost 6 feet tall. But he was his mother's pride and joy and had her stubborn streak, but he was smart as a whip and loved the outdoors like his brother Mark just a year younger than him and his best friend Peter.


Martha could see she liked this woman right away started to giggle herself watching Doc walk around the room like its no big deal to him if they stare or not as he winked back at them. “EJ are you ready to go home son?” Doc asked.


“Yes Doc,” he replied.


“I see, too bad. The nurse wouldn’t’ have anything to do. Did you eat all that food like a good boy?” He asked.


Ma nodded. “Yes, he did, every crumb,” as she laughed. 


Doctor Whitmore looked at the chart makes a couple more notes. “Your fever has come down a bit too, I see still running hot. That’s expected for couple more days or so,” as Ma wiped the sweat off his face. “Before you go, I brought you something and I want to make sure you eat one more meal and drink some more than you can go. I left instructions with Doc Hatfield to check up on you in a day or so,” he said.


Doctor Whitmore hands EJ the package. “Well open it, it's not going to bite.”  EJ opens the package finds a “Kitenge gown” made just for him. It was almost a duplicate to what the Doctor and his son Frank were wearing. EJ flabbergasted, he never received a dress before. He looked at Pa then at Ma then held the dress in his hands. He almost wanted to cry; a dress was a dress. 


Pa was trying to do his hardest not to crack up. Martha gave him a hard stare; trying her self to keep things in perspective in the room. Thinking how do you tell your son, that’s ok to wear this kind of dress when she not all that comfortable about it herself.


Remembering about something that her husband said to EJ the other night came to her mind. ‘It’s not the clothes that make the person it what inside that counts.’ The dress wasn’t important anymore. EJ was… Not what that Doctor was wearing nor his son. It was how they are individual people that’s all, nothing more, nothing less.  So what they are from a different culture. If they want to wear it and it makes them feel comfortable, let them. Ma picked the dress up in EJ’s hand standing up and admiring the craftsmanship. “Mrs. Whitmore you do have a fine hand I must say. Do you think I can get the pattern from you?” Then taking the dress standing it up against Wayne; “I have 3 boys at home, I just bet they would just love to have one. I might even make one for my husband too,” Martha replied.


Wayne nearly swallowed his tongue when she said that then and saw where she was going with this train of thought. Martha whispered to him. “You are the one that said clothes don’t make the person dear,” she said and winked to him.


“Humm you are right,” he said taking the dress from Martha holding against him studying himself in the mirror so EJ could see him. “Fine looking, I must say, got to be cool, smart even, much better than a plain old sheet,” winking back at his wife. EJ thinking Pa had lost his mind wearing a dress; he would be laughing stock of the entire town, the world. EJ speechless as he watched Ma and Pa going nuts, feeling the fabric lays it back on the bed as he rolled his eyes.


Pa and Ma thanks Doc for the lovely gift and for their help with EJ wave them out the door. EJ waited for everyone to leave. “Ma, you can not be serious?” As she laid the dress on the bed next too him.


“EJ why not?” She asked


“Why not? Girls wear dresses that’s why not. I’m not a girl and I don’t wear dresses.”


Ma placed a hand on his knee. “Doctor Whitmore and his son wear them all the time and their not girls,” she said.


“No. Their nuts Ma,” EJ said looking at the dress on the bed.


“EJ it’s not a dress son it’s a Kitenge gown for men,” she replied.


“Ma, call what you like, it still a dress.”  Pa laughed Ma stares at him with a cold stare.


“Your Ma’s right son. Different cultures different taste, different types of clothing; remember what I said when I told ya couldn’t be a farmer or Indian son,” he said.


Yes Pa I remember, but Pa, a dress?” As EJ picked it up in his hands laid it back down on the bed. Pa tried so hard not to laugh, Martha to for that matter.


The nurse brings in another tray of food with some more for him to drink, seeing the dress on the bed. “Oh I see he left you one too, my Peter loves his.” EJ couldn’t believe his ears," another one?" Martha folds up the dress and sets it on a chair then helps prop EJ up in the bed. “Doc says?”


“I know I have to eat all of it before I can go,” and sighs.


The nurse smiled setting down the tray. “And I’m sure your Ma will make sure you do it too,” gives her a wink.


Ma wiped his chin sets his tray out the door Pa loaded the stuff into the pickup. 
“Alright son time to go,” Pa said looking at the dress on the chair. “What’s it is going to be son? There are a whole house full of women at home that would love to see you dressed in a sheet and the nurses down the hall or you could try?” Pa said pointing to the chair...


“Alright Pa, but if they laugh?” He replied.


Ma stood up to her full height of the room. “They wouldn’t dare son.” That’s because Ma already called them and warned them not so much as smirk not even from the girls. EJ still not liking the idea, but knowing how the sheet likes to blow in the wind which was worse he sighed. Ma helped him put it on, it went past his knees he was glad, but a dress was in his mind was still a girl's dress or not. Pa carries him out to the pickup setting EJ on her lap in the front seat laying his legs and feet across the seat, they headed back to the farm.


Everyone seeing the pickup pulling up to the house dashed out with smiles except for two girls Mary locked them in their rooms. She wasn’t taking any chance of them ruining a homecoming for him. Not when what they were told on the phone he would most likely be wearing. They could scarcely believe their ears when they heard it. It was another when they all saw it. Robert and Will they didn’t care what he was wearing by the look in their eyes or faces. He was their brother that’s what matters most and he was home.


Julie and Anna were just a little surprised, but that lasted about two minutes when he smiled. With a simple kiss on the cheek from them both, they had let the poor boy come up for air. The only ones that really did care it seemed, and that it mattered on what he wore. Was he’s two Aunts, his two Uncles and maybe his grandmother, but everyone else it didn’t make a lick of difference, he was EJ all the same.


Pa picked up EJ carried him into the house back into his room, sets him on the bed. Ma turns it down removed the gown tucked him back into bed. Pa set up chairs around the bed so he can visit with everyone before she cleared room so he could rest. After all, two days or day and a half she planned to keep him there if she has to tie him down herself in that bed.


Ma tying on her house apron; taking look down the hall towards EJ’s room making sure he was still in that bed where he belongs and sighed; takes a look at her full house as if she’d been gone from it for days. With a final glance and nod of her head. “Alright girls, its time we get things back on track,” she said.


Mary and Lizzy looked at Martha and laughed, Marry said. “Martha dear were fine, you are the one that needs to relax,” Mary said as she sent her back down the hall to EJ’s room pushed her into a chair, giving her a needle a thread and little sewing to keep her busy. “Now that’s better,” as they smiled at her with her sewing basket by her side. “Lunch will be ready in about an hour dear if you need anything… you know where to find us,” she replied.


Wayne started to head out the door to put the pickup away. “Wayne just leaves it there dear,” Mary said while Mary and Julie made a list of things they needed from the store.


Wayne shrugged his shoulders started to do something else gathering tables and chairs from the outside. Lizzy went out brings him a glass of lemonade. “You look thirsty Wayne, try my lemonade it’s homemade.” They watched him drink the entire glass and winks at Julie giving her the cue to go get Richard and Steve.  Wayne started to yawn as Steve and Richard come through the door. Mary pointed to Wayne, “boys?”


“Yes ma’am,” seeing him yawn.


Wayne watched them from across the room as they giggled “Time for bed dear,” as the boy’s helped Wayne to his room put him to bed and closed the door. “Julie reminds me to thank Doc for that sleeping medicine, it works like a charm,” as Lizzy giggled. “Now then, where were we? Oh yes, we need 3 lb of butter makes that 5 lb just in case. Flour, salt …?”


Grandma walked down the hall to EJ’s room to visit for a while. “How’s my grandson doing?” She asked as she sits on his bed and wiped the sweat off his face.


“Better Grandma it hurts,” rubbing his leg and chest. “And I am little hot but not as bad as it was,” he replied.


“That’s good,” she said kissing his forehead. “You gave me quite a scare you know.”


“Sorry Grandma, I didn’t mean to,” he said.


“I know you didn’t you silly boy,” she said gives him another kiss on the cheek. “Now then since you are going to be fine.” She said her eyes never leaving his. “Grandma needs to go see if she can chop down a few trees of her own.”


Martha and EJ giving her a strange look, Grandma laughed at their expression. “Not to worry I won’t be far if you need me, but right now,” looking at Martha. “I believe you have all the help you need.” Gives them each hug and whispered in Martha’s ear. “I’ll be at his parent’s house if you need me.” Martha hugged her back wiped a tear from her eye thanks to her for all she has done. Grandma slips her a note in her hand winked and whispered. “Read it later,” as Martha slipped it into her pocket. Grandma closed the door walked down the hall.


“Alright Steve let’s go before they know I’m gone,” she said.


“Yes Ma, are you sure?” He asked.


Grandma takes one more look at the house.” Yes, son, they need me more right there,” she said.  Steve put her suitcase in the car drove her to EJ’s house. She knocked on the door Steve carried the suitcase, Jim answered the door. “Hello, Jim,” Jim seeing Steve and his mother. “May we come in,” she asked. Jim shrugged his shoulders lets them in. “Where’s Linda?” his mother asked.


“In the bedroom… I’ll go get her,” he said.


“No. That’s fine Jim, leave her be.” Jim seeing the suitcase gives her a worried look. “Steve the boy’s room down the hall if I remember right, just set them in there,” she said.


“Yes, Mother.” Jim’s mother opened the cabinet pulled out a kettle for some tea taking out a tea bag from her purse. Steve shook his head. “I know, just a little now then not going to hurt and I have my pills,” she said. Grandma opened up the cabinets. “Looks like will be doing some shopping to by the looks of things,” shaking her head. Steve gives his mother a hug and kiss closed the door behind him.


“Mother you can’t!” Jim said.


“Can’t what dear?” She asked pouring the tea into a teacup. “Oh did you here? I’m moving in here for a few days,” she said. Jim nearly hit the ceiling and nearly fell onto the floor onto his knees begging her not to do this. “You alright dear you look kinda of peaked. If you want I can call the Doc to have you looked at?” 


Jim ran outside looked for Steve hoping he hasn’t left yet.  Then hangs his head low, “she going kill me when she finds out.” Which didn’t take long before he made it back inside the door, there was loud pounding on her door


“Linda, are you coming out or do I have to come in get you.” Then it happened. “JIM!” He was dead and he knew it.


* * *



Steve on the way back to the farm laughing imaging what was taking place back at the house where he just dropped off his mother. “Oh well, they deserve it and more,” he said as he pulled back into the farm. Walking back into the farmhouse as he passed her sisters in the kitchen he just nods his head walked down the hall towards EJ’s room gives Martha the keys to his mother’s car.  Checks the hallway for his aunts and closed the door.  “Martha me you need to have a little talk,” he said pulling up a chair and taking out a pad and pencil. “I’m on a secret mission of sorts,” he said checking the door.


“Oh really what kinda of mission?” She asked as she set down her sewing for a minute.


“Let’s say for now. I need to know what you are looking for in a house, bedroom wise the works,” and smiles.


“Steve, we can’t?” She replied


“Details, details; dream a little, it will be fun,” he replied.


“Martha laughed. “Well,” she said as she glanced over at EJ asleep and thinking of next spring and all the guests and the possibility of more she giggled. “Alright… just for fun. If you tell Steve,
Wayne will kill me,” she said.


Steve laughed and pats her on the knee. Martha picked up a sock and needle and tread. While watching EJ sleep they talked and he noted and smiles and they laugh. Mary knocked on the bedroom door bring in the trays for lunch. “There you are Steve,” seeing him in the room with Martha. “Have you seen my sister Betty? We can’t seem to find her anywhere on the farm and the car still here,” she said.


“Oh didn’t she tell you? Humm...  It must have slipped her mind, that’s my mother,” taking the tray sitting on the table for Martha.

 

“Tell me what Steve?” Mary asked.


“She left a couple of hours ago... “Yep,” as he nodded his head.


“How?” She asked standing furiously with her hands clenched to the side in the doorway.


“I dropped her off myself, she’ll be fine. Doc told her to chop down some trees so that’s what’s she doing I guess,” he replied.


“When I get my hands on those two?” She said storming out the door Martha and Steve laughed watching her go out the door. Finding Lizzy to tell her what her sister has just done under their very nose.


“Well thanks for the chat,” he said putting the pad away smiling at EJ waking up from his nap and looked at the gown hanging around near him. “Yes sir, that would blind a horse in any direction,” he said.


“Now Steve!” She replied.


“Sorry Martha, it’s just hard for a man to accept wearing a dress I guess, but hey I’ll try,” he said. Martha gives him cold hard stare as he leaves the room helped prop EJ up in bed for lunch.


“He’s right Ma,” EJ said.


“EJ, are still worried about what people are going to think?” She asked.


EJ says. “Yes, Ma.”


Actually, Martha was to tell you the truth, but she wasn’t going to let him think that.  “Well don’t sweat the small stuff, now eat your lunch.” She said as she tucks the sheet around his waist kiss’s his head.


The lumber had just arrived for the rooms while Wayne was asleep.  Steve just laughed and told the boys to go ahead put it away over by the barn for now. Signed for it thanked the men and sent them on their way. “Richard?” Steve called.


“Yes, Steve?” Coming out of the barn and leaned against it as he wiped moped the sweat from his brow with the back of his hand


Steve leaned against the barn next to Richard. “Mother wanted me to ask you if you wouldn’t mind staying on the farm a bit longer.” As he discussed his secret plan with Richard and Richard laughed as they looked at the house.


“Are you kidding?” He asked.


“Nope… I’m not. Remember Aunt Margaret down in 
Salt Lake City?” He asked.


“Yes.”


“Well,” showing him a telegram he had just received the other day.


 Dear Steve, yes I would love to help. Stop...

 Mike’s lumber mill is overstocked with lumber. Stop...

 Please tell me what you need, I’ll send it to you. Stop...

 I have an old friend at Stringum Hardware. Stop...

See him, left word for him there. Stop...

Aunt Margaret, see you at the picnic. Stop...


“You mean?” Richard replied.


“Yep, we plan to build a house.”


“But how Steve?” Richard asked.


“Not sure yet; Aunt Margaret said contact this man so I am going to see him while the women are out shopping,” he said.


“What an about our house Steve?” Richard asked realizing it stood empty and lawns need to be mowed and cleaned after all he had been here for about a week. But thought of leaving made him sad and he didn’t want to think about being there all by himself when all the fun was here. He liked being a farmer and the smell of fresh hay and soil running through his toes as he wiggled them in the dirt in front of him…


“Don’t worry about that Richard,” Steve said as they watched the two girls Dona and Peggy with Anna right behind them heading out to collect eggs and feed the chickens. Steve put his arm around Richard tells him what his mother has done and what they have planned.


Richard laughed. “That means,” as he looked at Danny playing with Sam still dressed as Indians. “She left him in my care for a few more days,” slapping his brother on the back laughing. “Oh, they are going to be so mad when they find out. Of course, I’ll stay, besides I like it here so does Danny and its much more fun then empty old house any old day,”


“Fine then, I’ll go take care of things. You just keep things quiet, not a word,” he said.


Richard smiles looking towards the house, “Steve they won’t expect a thing,” he replied going back inside to water the horses and give them some apples for a treat as he scratched them behind the ears.





© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I can't seem to get into anyone's head in this chapter. I don't write third-person narration myself, so I cannot offer much. But I know that there are many writers on this website who do and would make a really good example. Also, it's generally frowned upon to mix tenses for no reason. This writing being from a year ago, I would imagine your writing is better now, but I am still concerned about the various mix-ups. For example, "Steve put his arm around Richard tells him what his mother has done and what they have planned."

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


Shep

4 Years Ago

Thank you for the review i will take that under advisement.
Shep

4 Years Ago

Please continue on with the story i hope it will make sense even though it it is third person.
Still having a bit of trouble sorting everyone out. And wondering what kind of mischief that horrible Peggy will get up to.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


Shep

4 Years Ago

Thank you... lots mischief consider she really hates EJ.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 10, 2019
Last Updated on January 16, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep