Chapter 2-2

Chapter 2-2

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 2-2


The phones were ringing off the hooks and wires and the switchboard operators, papers were going crazy, by pigeon, by mail by horse and by the stream, anyway, possible news carried across the valley.  County mayors, Judges and Lawyer’s offices were in a panic going over to Stringum hardware for answers. 


“Mr. Stringum,” Judge Parker said seeing Stringum leaning back in his chair. Judge Parker aka Brad T. Parker: Judge and Mayor of Santaquin County. A fair man and considered to be an honorable man in his late sixties. Graduated the top his class at Harvard University at the age of 26, Married Mildred F Swanson soon after. Raised ten children, seven boy’s three girls; his youngest child off seeing the world and studying to be a lawyer for defenseless children, and married a congressman. A Republican running for mayor somewhere out north last he heard.


“Hello, Judge Parker.” The Judge seeing Doc Hatfield in the room also with him gives him a quick nod. “It’s about time you boys came over to see us,” Stringum said as they laughed.


“I hear you are holding a function of your own without us and we don’t like it.” Judge Parker said and the county boys nod in agreement.


“Oh sorry Judge, I thought maybe you be too busy for us simple farmers,” he replied.


Judge Parker laughed. “Too busy? Heck, my phone won’t stop ringing. I have to go home to my wife and she won’t leave me alone for five minutes. Now, what’s all this about?” As he pulled up a chair and they poured him a cup of Joe. He laughed and slapped his knee. “Doc why didn’t you say so, well we will just make it official. Nobody but us will have to know.  Now then boys.” Judge yelling at county boys outside the door. “I need this, and this done yesterday,” making some notes on a piece paper.


“Thanks, Judge, now then we just have one more problem,” Mr. Stringum said.


“What’s that?” He asked. “Oh, her,” looking at the picture of Mrs. Collins on the calendar of the annual picnic.  Mrs. Gertrude Collins a lady of high society at the age of 65 she may be short and stubby with spindly arms and legs, but she could move down a street faster than a bug on a windshield. Gertrude was a woman of means and knows more about people and their secrets then most people would like her to know. Considering she was born and raised in her home town of Payson. Her husband died in the war leaving her well provided for in real-estate and stocks and bonds.


But it was her highfalutin ways that seemed to be her downfall when it comes to people not made of money or high status. She walked tall and seemed to rub people the wrong way, but never stopped her from gossiping about others less fortunate than herself. She was always nicely dressed and always stayed in the current fashion. Silver hair and round beady eyes that matched her pointed nose and angle chin. Yet nobody knew she wore a gray powder wig, ever since she began to lose her hair within the last year or two.


Judge laughed. “That old gossip? I got it boys; you are looking at the master of ceremony at the advent. She’ll be putty in my hands especially when,” he whispered… (Sorry, best to keep it a secret for now.)


They all laughed. “You wouldn’t dare?” They replied.


“And why not...? That will get her tongue stuck on the line for a year at the most I think,” Judge said.


“Well back you up of course Judge that will make things even better, the icing on the cake. Heck, throw in some extra city official in cake mix batter and watch the sparks fly.” Doc said as he busted a gut thinking of the images of old gossip face when … It happened.


“Well, we better get back to the grindstone boys,” the Judge said laughing himself out the door. “And I’ll inform the Mayor in Payson to. He is buried in paperwork, never seems to get a break anymore,” he said leaving with a nod.



* * *

 


Mary looked over the list as they walked down the aisle of Payson Market. “Julie dear can you grab six cans of shorting dear?”


“Yes, Mary,”


“And a box of soap... Julie, tell me, dear, what do you really think about EJ and that dress?” She asked looking over the list.


“What dress Marry?” She said placing the items in the cart and continued down the aisle


Marry looked her straight in the eye. “The dress Julie,” as if she didn’t hear her.


“Oh mean that Kitenge gown?” She replied.


“Yes wh
atever it is dear it is still a dress,” she said.


“I like it why?” She asked.


“You mean to tell me, dear, it doesn’t bother you that he wears it?” Mary asked.


“No not all,” Julie said looks at the list. “We need a box of wax to… here it is.”


“Why not Julie? Why doesn’t it bother you?” She asked halted in the middle of the aisle.


“Because he’s my brother I guess. Oh I know he’s not flesh and blood but makes no difference to me. I’d walk through fire for him all the same. I’d fight for him, cry for him just like I do for all my brothers. Mary, I love him don’t you see. It’s not the clothes that matter. They don’t make you who you are or what you become or what you do,” she said picking another box of wax off the shelf just in case.


“Do you know what my brothers went through this past summer I do?” Wiping a tear from her eye. “It may have been the most silliest thing, but took a lot of courage for them and heck a lot of love,” Julie told her about the promise her brothers made to EJ and Indian story with tears in her eyes, some of the things what grandma left out.

“No Mary a dress compared to that is nothing at all.


“All I see is EJ and my four brothers. I love them all the same.”  Mary had no more doubts about the love Julie had for her nephew or this family and their feelings for him; she could see why and wiped the tears from her eyes. So they continue on shopping with a list which they divide with Lizzy and Anna and agreed to meet back at the cafe in an hour for a quick bite before heading back.


Lizzy and Anna were in another part of town looking at gifts and nick-knacks and things for presents for everyone. Lizzy asked Anna the similar question looking at spice rack hung on a wall. “Anna tells me how do feel about a having large family of boys only two girls,” she said.


“What’s wrong with that Lizzy? Boys or fun to wrestle with and I don’t have to worry about how rough to be with them,” she said.


“True, but don’t you wish there were more sisters? Does it matter to you if EJ, not your real brother?” She asked.


Anna turned red with a fiery temper. “Lizzy, he is my brother if anyone says he not.” Seeing the fire in her eyes, clenching her fists like she about to punch someone’s lights out even mentioning it.


Lizzy puts her arm around her. “I’m sorry dear he is,” calming her down.


“Lizzy it’s just I love him so much and every time some tells me that it makes me so mad. Then I watch him smile, my heart melts. I just want to hug him to death,” she said.


“I understand dear,” gives her a little squeeze. “So I won’t ask about that dress because you might slug me right,” she said.


“What dress?” She asked Lizzy pushed her laughing.


“That’s what I thought. But I heard your brothers were going to wear one, does that bother you?” She asked.


“Big deal! Why should it bother me? Look,” putting on feathers around her neck and fancy silly hat, “who am I? Lizzy?” She asked.


“A fairy princess,” Lizzy said.


“Wrong, guess again.”


“A lady looking for a man?” Lizzy said.


“Anna laughed. “Wrong, I am just Anna... I could run around town in my birthday suit and get arrested, but I still be Anna all the same. Pa taught us that clothes are just a covering, nothing more, just fabric that can be stripped away. Take that way you have nothing but the person.” She said looking at items on a shelf. “My brothers are just my brother’s, framers, Indians, boys. Doesn’t matter to me; I love them and their mine every last one them and Danny to if you want to know. I think he would like this, what do you think?” picking up a stuffed teddy bear and one for Sam too. Lizzy to had no more doubts about how much a simple stupid dress or brothers love they had in this family continued on shopping for the things on the list.


Meeting everyone back at the café after loading things back into the pickup for a bite to eat as luck would have or I would say bad luck. “Hello, Mrs. Collin.”


“Hello, Julie Anna, fancy meeting you here; where’s your mother that poor dear?” She asked.


“Oh she back at the farm with my brother EJ,” Julie said.


“Oh I see,” she replied.


“These are his Aunts, Mary, and Lizzy they're staying with us for few days,” Julie replied.


“How many people do you have at that farm of yours; you poor dears?” Mrs. Collins replied.


I’ve lost count, does it matter really? We always have room for more with his two sisters and two uncles. I might have to remove my shoes to count them all. Oh well, but that’s not the best news, have you heard? We are going to have a baby in the spring. Isn’t that exciting?”


Mrs. Collins swooned putting her hand to her head. “You poor dears.”


“Better make lots room at a picnic for us this year, we’re going to need it some extra tables too. Who knows next year it could double in size at this rate,” Julie said.


That did it, she nearly fainted from the news. Mrs. Collins recovering, “your brothers were in town last time I saw them said there were Indians down there,” she replied.


“Oh yes, they come out every so often those boys of ours. All five them or is that six lost count. They took all their clothes too; we don’t mind thou. Save on the wash and easy on the shoes too. Now we're having to dress them up a little wouldn’t you say, Anna?” Julie replied.


“They’ll look so handsome in their new Kitenge gowns, much better I say then those old farm overalls. Bought material today, going home to sew them up for the picnic, what do think?” Anna said shows her piece of the fabric. Mrs. Collin’s turning white as a ghost starts screaming down the road.


Anna and Julie laughed nearly falling off the bench watching her go. Mary and Lizzy looked over at the two girls then watched Mrs. Collins pointed her finger at them talking to someone else. “Girls you mind telling us what was so funny?” Looking at the lady waging her tongue and shaking her finger at them.


“Oh, that just the biggest gossip in town that’s all; we never care what they think do we, Anna?” Julie said.


“Nope, because more fun to watch the sparks fly,” Anna said.


Mary and Lizzy turned towards each other and shook their heads, whispered to each other “and we were worried about Betty; oh my,” as they looked at these two.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I see your sitting the stage for a big payoff. Can't wait to see

Posted 4 Years Ago


Shep

4 Years Ago

Thanks for the review

Yes things are just getting warmed up.
Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

I've started this story once before. This story is rich in details and interaction.
Shep

4 Years Ago

yes but never finished it LOL
Well, well, we have a mystery now, what will the Judge do?

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


Shep

4 Years Ago

you will have to keep reading to find out won't you? thank you for reading and your comments.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 10, 2019
Last Updated on January 16, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep