Chapter 4-1

Chapter 4-1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 4-1


Peggy and Donna in the backseat, thinking and talking up a storm, telling them how mean and cruel they weren't to them, making them work all hours of the day and night. Treating them like slaves. As they forced to do all their chores for them; never allowed to have any fun or play or anything, working all the time, shocking their parents with one horror story to the next.


Feeding them only bread and water as if they were locked in a prison cell; getting as much sympathy and attention as they could squeeze from each lie they told. Telling them how Grandma left them there to rot, chained together in these rags like common criminals.


As the girls walked into the house still telling tall tales. They find Grandma sitting on the couch doing some sewing she looked up and smiles, “Hello girls.” Peggy and Donna nearly turned white as a sheet seeing their grandmother. “Aren't you going give me a hug, oh how I missed you?” She said. The girls looked at their parent's. “I guess they didn't tell you I was here did they?” Girls shook their heads, “well I am, now go change you are clothes girls, help your mother with lunch. Then well all go shopping how does that sound the four of us?” She said.



* * *

 


Wayne and Steve went over the plans for the new house laying them across the table in the barn. “Steve I just can't get over it,” Wayne said looking over the plans. “You want us to build a two-story home with three bathrooms and bedroom for all the kids plus a nursery with a playroom beside.”  Steve just nodded his head. “Steve it would take a full year to build this house,” Wayne putting his fingers through his hair then tracing the lines with his fingers. “You even doubled the square footage,” Wayne said as he looked at the figures on the lines. 


Steve laughed looking around the room “Wayne I know you and Martha you'll grow into, it. I have no doubt about that,” pats him on the back.


“I tell you it can't be done Steve, not by spring,” Wayne said shaking his head looking at the plans again.


“Pa there are some men out here looking for you,” Robert said.


“Alright son be right there,” Pa said as he rolled up the plans.


“Hello Mr. Downing sir we are here to help you finish with your crop in the field over yonder, so we can start setting up for the picnic sir?” The man replied.


“How much space do you think you boys are going to need for this picnic?” He asked.


“Hard to tell, last time it was counted over two hundred and that was 20 years ago. The man replied.


“Two hundred!!!” Wayne said hitting his head with the palm of his hand.


“Yes, sir.”


“Small gathering my foot,” Wayne looked again at the flyer over by the phone.


Steve laughed, “Wayne, don't sweat the small stuff,” and slaps him on the back and leaving him standing there.


Wayne headed for the door and yells for his boys and slaps Steve's on the back, “looks like we have work to do,” points him towards the barn. The boys climb in the back of the wagon, Pa in the front with Steve. Pa hands the reins over to Steve as the boys and Pa brace themselves. “Steve just lightly flick with your wrist because if do it to harrrrrddd.”


The horses come to life with a hard start and a jump, leaving the barn, and then started to gallop; Steve trying to pull back hard on the reins bouncing up and down on the seat turning white as a sheet; Robert, Will and Richard hanging on tight as they go past the house and down the road a few paces, Pa and boys laughing in the back.


Ma, Mary, Lizzy, and EJ busting a gut laughing as they watched Steve and the boys fly past them. Steve's wife Loraine yelling back, “don’t work too hard now Steve I'll bring you some fresh lemonade,” while laughing so hard she nearly fell right off the porch.


Martha watched the dust clear and her boys go down the road wiping the tears of laughter from her eyes. “Well, I guess we better see about lunch for our silly boys,” as they wave them goodbye.


EJ holding his ribs from laughing so hard turns to his Ma, “I'll be fine Ma,” watching Sam and Danny playing outside. Picks up another block and smiles looking down the road towards fields where his brothers are, wishing he could have gone with them, “maybe next time.” He said then whittled and sands his blocks of wood laughed some more at Steve learning how to drive a wagon.


Pa and his boys, Steve, Richard, and the farmers cleared the hay field for the picnic all that afternoon. Loading the hay bails on to the wagons and helped them store it away for the season. Wayne was very grateful for the help. “Oh it was t’was nothing Mr. Downing glad to help another framer that's all,” with smiles on their faces. Martha and girls brought them all refreshments and provide them with a nice lunch for all their trouble with fresh baked cookies and fresh lemonade. “Thanks, Ma’am,” each one smiles back and waves, “just remember to keep your porch light on,” as they drive away headed back down the road.


The boys unhitched the wagon put the horses away wiping the day sweat from their faces. “Well Pa that’s that,” boys said as they looked at the fresh bails of hay in the barn,


“Not bad for a day's work I'd say” Pa replied. Pa takes his arm puts them around his boys. “No sir, not bad at all. Too bad we had to do it all at once, but it is nice to be done I have to say,” he said.


“So Steve would you say it drives like a car,” Richard asked slaps Steve on the back.


“Ouch that hurts,” he replied.


“Sorry.” as they all laughed noticing that he is little sunburned.


Robert notices it too. “Did forget something today Steve? “Slap.”


“Ooooh.”


“Sorry.”


By the time Will got his chance, Steve was running into the house with the boys laughing right behind him. Steve yelling, “not fair, I was tricked,” as Martha's hands Loraine the bottle of lotion laughing. “Come on dear,” taking him down the hall, Loraine winked at her. “I got just the thing for those sore muscles too and that sunburn,” closed the door behind them. The next thing you hear from the room. “Oh, that's cold dear!! That tickles!! Ahhhhh…”


“That's a good husband.” Loraine laughing like schoolgirl inside the room and humming to her man and the moon.


Martha convinced them to stay one more day, she wasn't taking no for answer and neither was Wayne; just too make sure Steve would stay put they took his shoes again and his keys. After desert he had an extra glass of milk with something extra, Martha whispered “thanks Doc.”


He yawns with the words coming out of his mouth as they take him down the hall, “not fair,” sleepily like with a yawn.


They laughed, “Goodnight Steve well see you in the morning,” they all said.


Martha and Aunts finishing the boy's kitenge gowns and placed them on their beds, as they turned in themselves; Ma and Pa make their rounds like they do every night. First stopping in the boy's room wishing each boy goodnight and then into the girl's room Ma and Pa smile, laughing at their silly girls because they pushed both their beds together to create one bed. Brushing their hair away from their faces as they bend down softly kiss their cheeks whispering, “goodnight our silly girls and sweet dreams” and closed the door behind them.


Heading back down the hall to their bedroom they closed the door behind them; their house still busting at the seams just a little. With a warm embrace, they thank each other for the meal for their hearts and home is filled. “Martha dear do you know how much I love you,” Wayne asked whispering softly in her ear.


“Yes dear, I do” and hums softly in his ear.


Morning sunrises early on the farm with the day breaking through the sky; Mr. Rooster springs to life with a magical c**k doodle do. Ma in the kitchen humming along with the aunts getting breakfast ready with a smooth start, “good morning girls Julie go wake the boys tell them breakfast is almost ready dear,” she said.


“Yes, Ma.”


“Anna dear please help me set the table.”


“Yes, Ma.”


Boys all gleaming with joy seeing their new kitenge and hurry to put them on; the first thing they do is spin around the room with EJ grabbing his ribs from laughing so hard. Richard can't believe his eyes watching these two in these things, but he couldn’t help but laugh. Sam and Danny on the floor rolling with laughter watching their brothers spinning around, Julie and Ma can hear them clear down the hall. “Alright boys your breakfast getting cold,” she yells.


“Yes Ma,” Robert said and Will helped EJ with his crutch as they all go down to breakfast. Ma seeing her three boys all wearing the kitenge brings a smile to her lips and whispers “thank you to each one.


They just smile, “Ma that's what brothers are for, besides their fun,” and spins.


Ma their sisters laugh watching them. “What silly boys I have,” she said.


Everyone seated around the table for one last breakfast together. Pa stands by clearing his throat and taping the orange juice glass. “First off I have some news,” he said as he looked around the table looking at his little family. Then looked at Ma across the table she nods with a tear in her eye, “it looks like family we are moving.” That got everyone attention as Ma and Pa smiled.


“Where Pa?” they all asked.


“Oh not far,” he replied.


“When Pa?” Robert asked.


“They tell me by spring. I don't know how,” he said. His sons and daughters gave him a puzzled look.


“But Pa we just started the rooms,” Will replied.


Steve and Richard burst out laughing. Pa himself trying to keep a straight face,” yes I know,” looking at the three of them. “You are still going be building those rooms sons, you'll just be building them with a new house, that's all,” he replied.


Watching everyone jaws hit the table. Steve and his wife Loraine and EJ's Aunts laughing around them than got up from the table, giving each of the children a big hug before sitting back down. The children did not know what to say looking at them speechless. Martha wiped the tears from her eyes. Steve stands, “it’s our way of saying thank you,” looking at EJ, “from his aunt Margaret and his grandmother.” Sits back down again nods to everyone, Ma and Pa thanks them again.


Pa brings the table back to order. “We also with great sadness like to wish you a safe return to your homes and hope you will come to back to our farm as often as you can because you too have become part of our family.” As Pa tries to hold back the tears from saying goodbye. He raised his orange glass with a toast of gratitude sits back down. Ma passes down the hot biscuits and the ham wiping the tears with the back of her hand. The breakfast table all buzz about the new house.


After the chores were done Steve and Loraine packed up the car and gave everyone a final goodbye before heading back home; Mary and Lizzy giving each a hug and kiss on the cheek.  “Martha do not be so hard on yourself if you need us just give us a call,” Mary said.


Martha wiping her eyes as she pats them on the back, “thank you for all your help,” walked them to their car.


Richard follows them, they shake their fingers at him give him a hug. “You mind them you hear,” Lizzy said.


“I promised mother I would didn't I... and I plan to stay put,” he replied.


Martha laughed with a tear in her eyes and puts her arm around him. “Thanks, Richard,” kissing his cheek. He didn't even blush just smiled. Everyone gathered around together to waved them down the road. As they all looked back at the farm it seemed quiet now and the house seemed lonely as they all walked back inside.


Well Pa,” Ma said as she looked around the house and Ma sighed “boy's looks like we have work to do.”


“Yes, Ma.”


“But the question is where do we start first,” Ma asked. Everyone laughed as Will and Robert spin around the room making themselves dizzy. Julie rolled her eyes and picks up Sam turns him upside down and Anna spins Danny. Pa went over to the sink picked up a glass of water and pours it down Ma’s back. Ma screams, “Wayne?” As the boy's headed towards the barn, Richard picking up EJ running and heading towards barn with the rest of the boys.


Grabbing their buckets the war was on the right where they left off, “Splash.” This time EJ was in the cart while Robert and Will pulled him so he could splash buckets of water that afternoon. Everyone soaked including Ma laughing till it hurt, Ma passing out towels. This time everything ends well as Ma changed EJ's bandages and a hanged up all the gowns too dry. She put on the second gown she made him sent him on his way with a smile and kiss on the head, “remember son take it slow now,” she said.


“I promise Ma” and watched him hobble out the door.


Pa and the boys outside the house with the plans of the new house Ma and the girls in the house putting the little ones down for their nap, make a few minor changes to the house since their guests are gone. There are no major changes needed to make this time; they didn't need the men's help. The girls figured the boys could all stay in the same room. They weren't about to give up their dressing room as they giggle to themselves. Changing all the sheets and making all the beds. They decided to put the Sam and Danny back into their room and in a single bed, but that still left one more room leftover.


Ma really didn't like having the boy's room all that crowd not when there was not a need to be. “Julie go ask Richard if he would like to have his room back. That way we can move his things back while were add it dear,” she said.


“Yes Ma,” Julie said and went out the back door to find the boys and Pa measuring trying to find a spot for the new house. “Richard, Ma would like to know if you would like your room back since we are in the process changing things around a bit,” Julie said.


“I haven't given it much thought,” he said.


Robert overhearing Julie ask him slaps him on the back, “what tired of us all ready Richard?” Robert asked.


Richard laughed. “No, just can't get enough of that rooster. I miss looking at him in the morning out the window.  Alright, that's fine since I'm not going anywhere for a while,” he said looking at the spot where the new house is going to be built.


“Richard, how long is a while?” Julie asked.


“Oh let’s just say could be fall, could be spring not sure yet.” He replied slaps Robert on the back “your not tired of me yet are you?” He asked laughing.


“Not the way you drive a wagon,” Robert said, “besides the rooster would miss you too,” he replied.


Julie gave him a hug and kiss on the cheek, “thanks, Richard.” He didn't even blush just smiled and watched her go back inside.


“Well, boys are you going stand there all day?” Pa asked.


No Pa. No sir,” Pa laughing putting his arms around them.


“I am glad because I have not a clue how we are going build this by spring,” Pa said looking at the squire footage whistling between his teeth. “Yes sir boys, its big one,” he said.


“Pa you keep saying that,” the boys said as they looked at the plans not understanding them.


“Alright boy's, let's see if I can break it down for ya. Follow me, boys… Robert, you stand here and don't move,” he said.


Pa counts the spaces as he paced one foot in front of another counting, “one, two, three….” as he makes giant strides looking at the plans,” Will stand here, Richard,” after whole bunch more space, “stand here.” Then Pa picked up EJ moves him clear over there almost to the northern field, “Alright boys this is the size of the house.”


Pa standing in the middle placed two rocks in the middle, then found a rock for each boy. “Alright, that's how big it is; now these two rocks here are the top and bottom of the house. This house will have two floors; Bedrooms on both floors and three bathrooms on both floors, with a kitchen, Dining room, living room on the main floor. Now, this house also has a nursery with playroom,” he said.


The boy’s whistle, “wholly cow pa this supposed be built by spring?” Pa nods. “Man we are in a heap of trouble,” they said.


“Pa tries to laugh, “and Steve's says the lumber is on its way.”


“Pa your joking?” Pa shakes his head showing them all the bill of sale. The boys all fall on the ground putting their hand through their hair. “Pa we are in trouble aren't we?” Robert and Will asked.


“Yes son and Steve's say’s it can be done, I just don't know how,” Pa said looking towards the house.


Ma and the girls bring the boys out some cold sandwiches and fresh lemonade with a quilt to sit on under the tree. Pa the boys tell them all about the new house shows them how big it is they get all excited giving the boys all hugs. Trying to cheer them up seeing them worry how are they going build such a monster of a house in time. Ma reminds them annual picnic is in two days hoping that would cheer them up a little. What they all been looking forward to all year; seeing all their friends from school, the fireworks, the games, the dances, the food, the music the event of the summer before school starts. The boy’s groan of the word school, meaning homework now added to list with building a house plus farm chores just make them more depressed.


“Are you Mr. Downing?” A kid on a bike out of breath says running over to where they are sitting.


“Yes lad, I'm Mr. Downing,” Wayne replied.


“I have a telegram for you sign here please sir.  Man sir you are long ways from a town I must say,” The boy said trying to catch his breath.


Richard laughed “I know what you mean.” Robert and Will start cracking up as Pa signs for the telegram. Ma offers the boy some lemonade and some cookies watch him down two glasses in a single gulp.


Pa said, “sit son and relax I'll have Richard take you back to town.”


“Thank you, sir,” the boy replied looking down the road.


Pa reads the telegram:



Mr. Downing help is on the way ...Stop...

Keep your chin up and the horses running. Stop...

Aunt Margaret and the boys are on the way. Stop...

Remember to keep the porch light on. Stop...

Give EJ a kiss and squeeze from me Aunty M. Stop...



Wayne hands the telegram to Ma so she can read it and passes to the rest to read. Robert grins. “Well I guess,” looking over at Richard, “you are stuck with us,” pushed him over, the boys laugh.


Richard grabbed each of their heads locks them under his arm. “That's just so I can do this,” and tickles them to death until tell they scream uncle, EJ, and girls helping of course. Danny and Sam dog pilling on top of Richard. The poor telegram boy thinking they all lost their minds steps out of their way. “


Alright boys,” Pa said laughing trying to bring things back to order. “Richard take this poor boy back to town,” hands him the keys to the pickup.


The boys helped him load his bike in the back and climb in for the ride, to take him back to town. Ma and the girls sigh looking towards the house and the new house, then laugh thinking about how crowded they thought they were. “Wayne when she says boys,” Ma rereading the telegram again, “how many is she talking about?” She said


Pa shrugged his shoulders, “2 maybe 3 dear I don't know dear. You are asking the wrong person, it just says they are on their way. I have a house to build,” he said looking back at the plans “and not a lot of time to do it in,” he said shaking his head leaves her sitting there.


Pa starts finding his stakes and marking the ground, measuring as he goes. You can see the worry lines in his face as he looks at the plans then at the house. The boy’s worked all day into the night figuring this and that. Burning the midnight oil until Martha comes out makes them stop. “Come on boy’s dinners ready,” She said Pa sighs blowing out the light. He and the boys are silent throughout dinner looking towards the empty lot, worrying about how much time it's going to take.


After dinner boys and Pa are still out back working by lantern light till wee hours of the night. They finally go to bed exhausted and drop off to sleep when they hit the pillow. They grab a few hours of sleep before breakfast and do the chores and hit it again, building as much of the foundation as they can. Ma shakes her head at the boys watching them work all day. Bring them food and snacks to keep them going. Checking make sure EJ not tearing any of his stitches while cutting wood on the wagon. “I'm fine Ma,” he said as she makes him stop for a minute to rest seeing the sweat drip from his face. “It’s just hot out here that's all,” He replied as the boys worked up a sweat.


Ma whistled for the girls for buckets, but Pa just puts his hand up, says “not today dear.” Continues on working through the afternoon, until Ma puts her foot down and puts a stop to it.


“That's it Pa,” Ma said and soaks Pa anyway and girls do the same to the boys. Ma takes Pa's hammer away gives him a bucket, “that's enough for one-day dear,” she said and soaks him again then tickles him tell he laughs and Danny and Sam knock him over. Ma wins the day and war is on. Pa tries to go back to work, but Ma won't let him taking all the tools and belts away. “Wayne the Annual Picnic is tomorrow and I will not have my boys too tired to play,” she said. With that, she soaks him again and the girls tickle him till he screams uncle. “That's a good boy,” Ma said as she smiles and laughs. Pa picked her up in her arms puts her right into a tub of water with her screaming, “you wouldn't dare?” she giggled like a schoolgirl kicking her legs and feet in the air laughing “Splashing” than Ma chasing him around the farm with a bucket of water.


The chickens in the pins were squawking as they got wet by the water that missed the person. Poor Mr. Rooster was soaked accidentally when Richard moved out of the way from being hit. A causality of war, wet rooster, he'll survive to crow another day. Everyone soaked to the bone nicely cooled Ma hanging the clothes on the line to dry in the sun including Pa's and the boy's work shoe's, “oh well” she said and giggled, “they needed a little fun,” she said as she watched them dripping on the line. “They won't be needing them tomorrow,” she replied.


The fresh apple pies and her famous bison berry pie cooling for tomorrow. Ma and the girls prepared an early dinner tonight, putting the boys to bed early as well. To make sure they get plenty of sleep for them to play all day tomorrow. Ma the girls choosing out what they wanted to wear. The boys just little nervous, but not a lot as they all put on their Kitenge gowns for a quick spin before bed, EJ and Richard laughing watching till it hurts. Ma opening the door to their room “alright you two silly boys time for bed she said” giggling to herself.


“Yes Ma,” they laughed taking off the gowns climbing into bed.


Ma and Pa making the early round’s before bed tonight tucking in all the kids, Ma cussing Pa out for making the boys work so hard and making her worry so much. “Wayne everything will work out have a little faith dear.” She said putting her arms around his waist walking down the hall to the children rooms. First to the boy’s rooms giving each boy a kiss on the cheek from Ma. And a pat on the shoulder from Pa, “thank you for a hard days work son” Pa said as he wished them a good night.


“Thanks, Pa,” “thanks sir,” “thanks Ma,” “thanks Ma’am,” the boys each replied.


Ma, Pa closed the door walking down the hall to Sam and Danny room and smile and seeing them both in the same bed again Ma and Pa just covers them up leaves them alone giving each a kiss on the head. Ma wipes a tear knowing how hard it's going to be seeing Danny going home in few more days and how much they all are going to miss him. Closing the door behind them, and turn around the corner to the girl’s room the beds are still side by side, “what silly sons and daughters we have Ma,” Pa said as they both smile. Leaning over giving each of their daughters a warm kiss on the cheek and whispers. “goodnight my darlings sweet dreams.”


Ma and Pa making a full circle to their rooms closing the door behind them. The house now quiet not as full as it was before. It seems lonely, but their hearts are still full of joy as they embrace, thanking each other for the meal as they climbing into bed as they listened to the quietness the stillness around them drifting off to sleep.


Within a few hours a knock at the door then another Wayne and Martha fly out of bed, “Who could it be at this hour?” Pa asked going to the door and finding ten men and several semi size trucks in the farmyard shining their headlights.


“Is this Downing Farm?”  The man asked.


Wayne, Martha wiping the sleep out their eyes. “Yes this is the Downing Farm” Wayne replied.


“Are you Mr. Downing?” The man asked.


“Yes, I'm Mr. Downing.”


“Sign here please, where would like your lumber?” The man said as Wayne looked down the road of his farm seeing large trailers full of wood, he nearly faints.


Then two more men come forward. “Mr. Downing sir we are here to help to set up the picnic tables and tents and things sign here please.” The man said. Wayne stares at them with glazed eyes and shock. How much more can this poor man bare?


Martha whispers in his ear and puts her arm around him, “Wayne it will work out,” she said not convinced herself looking at all the lumber and all the trucks lined up down the road.


Wayne nods with a sigh, “just set it over there for now,” he said as he goes and wakes the boys to help unload the lumber in the nearby field.


Will, Robert, and Richard eyeing the mountain of lumber and trailers fully loaded. They could just feel their arms and backache forever. Pa and the boys were surprised how quickly the men worked unloading it. They unloaded it within a couple of hours; they didn't even break a sweat. “Thanks, boys for the help,” the men replied as they all headed back down the road. Watching the empty trailers go. The men yell back, “remember boys keep your porch light on,” as they all go down the road.


Ma, Pa and the boys went back into the house and climb back into bed falling to sleep. Pa tossing and turning throughout the night, with headlights every so often, shining through the window from up the road. You could hear pounding of little tiny hammers pound stakes into the ground. Planks of wood being nailed together, the fabric is being stretched across the ground. Then there was silences, complete silences before dawn.


The rooster was mad sulking from getting wet as he jumped on top of the house screamed loud "C**K DOODLE DO" for all he was worth. Wayne and the boys jumping right out of their beds Will hitting the ceiling with his head, Richard and Robert falling on to the floor; EJ laughing so hard watching Richard, Robert as he wrapped his arms around his sides because they hurt so much, seeing them sprawled out on the floor. Wayne muttering under his breath, “I need to get a new rooster.”


“Dear he just mad dear that's all.” Pa pulling himself together from the quick little morning jolts to get the blood pumping; Ma in the kitchen fixing a quick breakfast. Nothing to fancy this morning, considering the’ll be lots to eat at the picnic all day


Sweet rolls, muffins, eggs, bacon, orange juice setting the table herself.” Boys go do your chores first this morning then well all have breakfast; then get cleaned up then we will head out for the day,” she called out.


“Yes, Ma. Yes, Ma’am.”


“Julie go ahead get the little ones bathed and dressed,” she said.


“Yes, Ma.”


“Anna you can help me get things gathered into the baskets and packed,” she said.


“Yes, Ma.”


Everyone busy bustling about the house getting ready to go to the picnic, excitement was in the air. Pa was even whistling; thinking about all food and taking Ma dancing tonight as he polished his dancing shoes.


Will and the boys are out doing chores, “EJ if anyone asks you just say ya fell out of a tree,” Robert said seeing him worry about what to say.


“Thanks, Robert,” he replied.


“Besides we won't leave your side for a minute will we Will?" Robert said as the boys put their arms around him.


“Not for a single minute,” Will said as he rubs his head,


“Now stop worrying you'll be fine,” replied Robert.


“But if they are there Robert?” EJ asked as he swallowed hard.


“So what, Pa and us will be right next to you, they wouldn't dare come near you, now stop worrying will you or,”  Robert said Will taking a feather.


“You wouldn't dare?” EJ said as he laughed grabbing his ribs “uncle, uncle.  Alright” helping him off the soft hay, “you know Ma's going to skin you,” EJ replied laughing picking up a feather chasing Robert, and Will back into the house... Ma laughed seeing EJ hobbling after them trying to catch them with straw in his hair with a feather.  She stopped Robert and Will so he could catch them and with his sisters help.


Tickling them till they give in, “alright boys,” Ma said shaking a finger at the three them “go get cleaned up,” she said.


“Yes, Ma.”


Ma giving each one a pat on the head points them down the hall. Ma checks just to make sure all the stitches are in place and whispers, “good, you are doing just fine.”


“Thanks, Ma,” he said, sends him on his way and grins watching him go.


Everyone at the breakfast table for a quick bite before they go; Girls and Ma quickly clear the table loading things in the cars. They decide to leave the pickup home take Richards and Grandmas car today, lots more room for everyone and EJ could stretch out a bit more. They locked up the house, Ma, she was proud of her little family. Robert, Will, and EJ dressed in their new kitenge. Oh, how they glistened with colors that dazzled the mind. To her, they looked so handsome in them. Richard and Pa and little ones in there new farmer overalls and shirts and play shoes. Knowing the shoes will be gone within hours or sooner knowing the little ones. Her daughters in a nice new dress that would turn a young fellers head. Yes, she was proud of her little family.





© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
Added on February 12, 2019
Last Updated on January 17, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep