Chapter 4-3

Chapter 4-3

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 4-3



In the background, small tents sprang up like weeds around them. Some framers and folks drifted back to their homes, but not many after all this was a framers picnic after all. One only comes around about every twenty years or so at last count. Doc Hatfield, Mr. Stringum in the corner by the table talking to Judge Parker and the rest of the staff, forming a small committee, sending out orders and runners.


Aunt Margaret walked over to the table with Betty and plops down on a stool around them. “Well, boys how you been, everything in order?” She asked.


“Yes Margaret the lumber arrived last night and we are just getting things ready,” the men replied.


“Good I understand you still need a school teacher and midwife. Well, I got just the two gals,” Margaret said looking over at Mary and Lizzy as she points, “good choices I would say. Mary would make excellent midwife Doc and Lizzy over there a school teacher for the children here. Plus that will keep them out of Martha's hair,” she said.


“Betty you keep working on those thick trees of yours. Now than Stringum, You think your boy Dave can run things at the store while you set up shop down here,” she asked.


“Yes Ma’am,” Stringum said.


“Good, all right boys let those horses out of the gate,” she said.


“Yes Ma’am,” they replied.


Wayne looked at his two worn out tired boys Sam and Danny. “Martha looks like we better start for home dear,” he said.


“Just one more dance Wayne, their fine” as she lays them on a quilt. “ Just a few more minutes dears, it only comes, but once a year.”


“Yes dear,” he said.


Ma tells the rest of the children it was time to go, “O Ma,” do we have to?” They all pleaded.


“I'm afraid so,” she said.


“Yes Ma,” the children said one by one sad seeing the farmer’s picnic coming to an end.


After they spend another hour dancing and playing some more summer games, they all load the children back into the wagon leaving their Aunts, Uncles at the picnic, giving each of them a kiss and a hug goodnight. “See you the morning dears,” They said as Pa and Ma drive them home and putting them to bed.  Pa puts the wagon away Ma and Pa drives back to the picnic in Grandma's car to bring everyone back home when they are ready.


Wayne, you didn't have to come back dear, didn't anybody tell you?” Aunt Margaret said.


“Tell us what Aunt Margaret?” They asked.


Aunt Margaret rolled her eyes. “The only one going home with you is me, that's it, Steve here watching his mother house while she’s away and Richards with you. Well come with me it will be just little easier if the Doc and Judge just show you,” She said watching him taking out a map of a diagram of the field.


“We have created a small city we call Downing Villa right here,” she said.


Wayne and Martha gasp looking at the map “your joking?” They replied.


“Nope, Judge Parker made it legal. You gave permission and it's all nice and tightly. Right on down to a couple of Doctors and school Marm,” she said looking over at Lizzy. “Oh that's right we didn't tell you that did we dear or you Mary. You are Doc’s new midwife,” she said smiling. “Don't worry dear well have you a nice little tent for you teach school in and the kids will love you I'm sure of it,” she said and pats her on the knee. “Mary dear Doctor Hatfield and Whitmore will be glad to show ya the ropes so not too worry your pretty little head, you'll do just fine,” she replied.


“Now then as I was saying Martha, Wayne… Betty here will be busy with those stubborn trees, so that leaves me with you, of course, me and my boys. Now it’s getting late dear and I'm tired and we do have a long day tomorrow and more to come. Boys?” She said as she stood.


“Yes Ma’am,” they all replied.


“See ya all in the morning. Such good boys, shall we go my dears?” Aunt Margaret said grabs Wayne and Martha by the arm walked to the car, “Aunt Margaret what about your boys?” Martha asked.


“Martha, their fine dear,” she said and hops into the car.


Steve drives back his mother to Jim and Linda's house gives her a hug and kiss, “thanks dear,” and sighs looking at the house and walked in and down to the girl's room and tucks her granddaughters into bed, gives them each a kiss goodnight hoping their parents at least did this much, but knows they didn't and just sighs with disappointment. Then walked down to the bedroom to the boy's room where she has made a bed for herself. Climbs into bed smiling thinking; “that was a pretty girl Richard was with tonight,” as she drifts off to sleep.


Wayne and Martha show Aunt Margaret the guestroom they have made for her bringing in her suitcases setting them in the room. “Thanks, dear,” she said as she looks out the window noticing the rooster pin, “I feel at home already,” she said.


“Can I get you anything Aunt Margaret?” Martha asked as she turned down the bed.


“Yes dear just call me Aunty M please  Aunt  Margaret makes me sound old and this old horse not ready for the pasture just yet dear. I still have plenty of race to run in these old legs of mine dear.” She said doing a jig on the floor. “A glass of milk would be nice to if you wouldn't mind, good for the bones you know,” she replied.


“Yes, Aunt Mar. Sorry Aunty M,” she said.


“You'll get it dear, now scoot the both of yeas and close the door,” she said.


Martha went into the kitchen pours her and Aunty M a glass of milk takes it down the hall, knocks on the door hands her the glass to her. “Here you go Aunty M,” she said.


“Thanks, dear,” she said closing the door.


Ma and Pa make their nightly rounds, tired from the night. Stopping first at the boy's room, you could hear Richard humming in his sleep then muttering something about those eyes. Wayne and Martha smile then tucks each boy into bed and giving them a kiss on the cheek as she whispered. “Goodnight son, sweet dreams,” as they close the door. Walking down to the Sam and Danny's room, candy apple still stuck in their hair and little bits of chocolate still on their face's. Ma laughed a little thinking how much fun these two must have had and how hard it’s going to be to separate them.


Pa puts his arm around her, “things will work out dear.” He said as Ma covers them up leaves them alone, it was no use putting them back in separate beds, they seem not to stay there. Ma and Pa making the circle to the girl's room, Ma can see a warm glow on Julie's face. Thinking of that nice boy she was dancing with… actually, there were three, she liked or was it four, anyway she'll be a head turner that's for sure. She bent down to each of her daughters sleeping peacefully. “Sleep well my dancing angels,” gives them each a kiss goodnight. Then making the full circle back down to their room they close the door behind them. “Yes dear our house is full and our farm is bursting thanks for the meal,” as they embrace falling softly into sleep.


All through the night, work was being done around them in shifts down at the Downing Villa as it springs to life. People were coming and going all the time, tents were going up. Blocks were being set up and organized while some sleeping passing news throughout the little Villa. By the time the rooster crowed the next morning, you could hear pots and pan banging in the distance and little hammers hitting anvils. A small smithy has been set up and Doctor's office was in the process.


“Rise and shine children,” Aunty M said knocking on the doors. “Wayne your rooster late,” she said when he sounds off by the time she reached the kitchen, “c**k doodle do…” hearing him, at last, announcing the day to begin.  “That's better I was worried there, thought you need a new one and might be haven chicken for sup tonight. Darn, I haven't had a rooster in a long time.” Aunty M said looking out at the rooster eyeing her on the fence. “Let's get cracken and let those horse out of the starting gate. Wayne, Martha is you alive in there,” she asked knocking on the door.


“Yes Aunt Marg; sorry Aunty M,” Martha said with a yawn.


“That's more like it. Now then I like a hot cup of Joe in the morning Martha,” she said Aunty M opening the cabinets, “none of this weak tea stuff from England. No, sir, they can keep it, I need something to get the blood a pumping. Wayne, don't you have anything?” She asked Aunty M searching the cabinets.


“Sorry Aunty M,” he replied.


“Nuts I'll have to remedy that in a hurry when we get back to the Villa… can't go without my Joe. No sir, not natural. Well, are ya going to lay there in bed all day? Oh there you are dear,” she said. Aunty M grabbed a bowl starts making hot biscuits, “come on Martha we got these poor children to feed, need something to stick to their ribs.” Flapjacks, corn muffins, ham stakes, and eggs tossing them in a pan on the stove.


Martha thought Mary and Lizzy was a handful together, this woman Martha struggling just keep up with her and she was in her 70's running all over the kitchen. Aunty M made the boys hop to when they walked in the kitchen. “Boy’s hands… let me see those hands. No sir those won't do,” she said and points and sends back down the hall, “I want clean hands boys.” Aunty M said turning over Wayne's, “these I like, strong, firm yet soft, but not clean,” she said gives him a swift kick down the hall, “now scoot.”


“Martha my boys I insist have clean hands when they sit at my table,” she said. “Yes, sir.” Aunty M waiting for the boy's hands, “now that's better, next,” checking every boy's hands before they sit down at the table. “Unlike the girls dear,” looking at Julie and Anna, “come dears front and center, let’s take look what we have here.”  Aunty M said lifting their chins, “yes nice cheekbones,” turning their head side to side. “Anna dear looks like you could use a brush with that hair, little ruse on those cheeks of yours, not much mind ya. Just enough to keep the fella's eyes popin that's all. Julie straighten that back, that's better girl, you got your mothers eyes and smile. Put some that lipstick on girl rose petal you’d melt a fella's heart and little lavender scent perfume they'll go wild.”


“Yes, Sir. Wayne, Martha fine stock I must say, you are going have to keep your eyes on these prizes jewels and all these boys. The fillies will snatch them up in hurry as handsome as they are. Yes sir fine-looking stock every last one of them,” she replied.


“Why thank you Aunty M, I think,” Wayne said giving Martha and girls a weird look of expression.


“Well don't just sit there looking at the table,” she said slapping a ham steak on the plate. “Breakfast is getting cold and we have work to do now, pass down those biscuits and the butter,” she said.


“Yes Ma’am,” Wayne replied.


Aunty M making sure everyone got plenty to eat before clearing the table. Slapping extra helpings of ham steaks on the boy's and Pa's plates. Wouldn't let them leave the table to tell they ate every last crumb. She gave them “no sir’ery bob” and gave them each two glass of milk to wash it down with. “I want to make my boys strong, healthy,” lifting their arms flexing their muscles. “I need to put some meat on these bones Martha, they have a house to build; I need strong healthy boys, every last one. Not a week and puny little men. No sir that won't do around here, not on this farm,” she said.


Aunty M looked over at EJ shook her head, “Boy” flexing his arms we got our work cut out I am afraid, yes sir. This poor horse can't even leave the starting gate,” slapping another ham stake and pours him another glass milk. The boys and Pa bellies bursting by the time they left the table; Pa and the boys running out the door before she could add more food to their plates. Aunty M yelling to them, “hurry now 'git' those chores done.”


Martha, never seen the boys run from the table so fast. Poor EJ nearly fell over trying hobble out the door, before she added some more food to his plate. The girls cleared the table doing up the dishes, Aunty M going through the cabinets making a list. Martha tried telling her they’d already been to the store, but she just ignored her made a list of things anyway, Martha sighs. Margaret kept saying the boy's need more than what she was giving them. That she needed strong boys and that's what she going to get one way or another.



* * *

 


Things down at the Villa were moving right along too, it was a town within a town. Little store's started popping up right out of nowhere, little vegetable and fruit stands and gizmo and gadgets of all sorts. Quilts and fabrics of cloth, rug weaver, toy makers, music shops, pastry shops with pies and cakes. You name it you might be able to find it down on the Downing Villa Square Market Street. Doc's office was open for business and a Dentist office being built right across from his, with Stringum hardware and goods right next to it and the temporary Mayors office for him and the Judge.


Little street signs were being posted. This will be known as Downing Business Villa Avenue. Heck, there was even a post office for the mail. So the Mayor and the Judge and others wouldn't have to go clear back to town to sending things to get things done. It was a home away from home without the burdens of screaming clients at the door, well almost anyway. The Mayor and Judge where still in the process of finding a Sheriff for Downing Villa and watchmen to keep the peace. Other than that things were running smoothly. Aunty M will be pleased when she comes to visit her boys down in Downing Villa I think.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great opening, loved the popping tents.
Excellent touch making boys wash a second time.
Really comfortable kitchen scene.
A really good chapter.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Shep

5 Years Ago

thanks glad you are enjoying it i lots of surprises coming that I think you are going to like.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

89 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 12, 2019
Last Updated on January 17, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep