Chapter 6-1

Chapter 6-1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 6-1


Wayne does a quick swearing in of his deputies and Villa votes them all in as the Judge slams the gavel everyone yell's “yea haw.” Wayne pats them on the back. Ma, aunts and their sister gave each boy Robert and Richard kiss on the cheek and hug. As they blush. “Ma, Mrs. Downing not here, everyone's watching,” they replied.


“Oh don't sweat the small stuff,” she said giggling at them for being so foolish. Mr. Stringum leads the six men into their office and closes the door behind them, hands them each a package and smiles. “Alright, boys the towns all yours the orders on your desk. If you need anything just ask,” closes the door behind him as he leaves doing a quick little jig. “Oh, one more thing school starts tomorrow Robert thanks have a nice day.”


Robert looks at Pa; Pa puts his arm around him, “don't sweat the small stuff,” and laughs “you are now the Sheriff son and deputy,” he said opening the package. Each of them finding a straw farmers hat with a gold and green trim, three shirts with a patch that says Downing Vila deputy on the sleeve to wear with their overalls, there was a small desk for each of them. With sash for their horse that says “Downing Villa Deputy's” or Sheriffs” and map of the town.  With a list of work that needs to be done plus a mountain of paperwork for the Sheriffs and for the boys to look over and sign for the duty rosters to check. The boys looked at all the work and wanted to cry. “Boys we are in trouble aren't we?” the Sheriff asked looking at all the list


Robert and the other boys burst out laughing, “Now he thinks we are in trouble,” hitting him with their hats.


The boys work all afternoon almost late in the evening, until Wayne tells them, "boy's time call it night. We still have chores do on the farm and they can't wait,” he said.


“Yes sir,” they replied.


“So I'll see you boy's back here in the morning. Robert, Richard let’s head for home I'm sure everyone waiting for us there with supper on,” he said turning out the lights.


“Yes pa, yes sir.”


They locked up the office got on the horses and head back to the farm. Everything was quiet not a soul around. “Pa that's strange?” Robert said walking into the house “theirs no food on the stove, no food on the table where is everyone?” He asked.


Richard comes back from the barn, “sir all chores are done to sir all the animals feed cows milked,” he replied.


Pa and the boy's sit on the porch for a while, here comes Brad, Chris, and Bill... “Sheriff Downing?” They yell.


“Boys I thought I told you to go home for the night?” Sheriff replied.


“We did sir; we were told to come to get you and we're not supposed to leave your side. They moved our tent over there by the barn,” the boys pointing next to his barn. “It's the rules, sir. Dinner is almost ready and they told us not to come without you unless we didn't want to be feed.” Bill said.


“Well then,” Wayne laughed, “I guess we better not disappoint them boys let’s go on back,” shaking his head.”


The new Sheriff and his boys all head back to Downing Villa Square. The music and dancing were just beginning as they pulled up to the stable. Stablemen take the horses, “well take real good of care them boys for ya” the stableman said giving them to the stable boy.  “Boys give them fresh feed and water, good brushing and a nice set of shoes for all the horses.”  The man said.


“Yes sir, right away sir.”  The stable boy said to the stable man.


Wayne and the boys walked into the dining hall, everyone whispering as they came in for them to clear the way for the Sheriff and his Deputies. “Well it's about time you boys got here; we thought you boys were going to work all night.” Judge Parker replied.


“Sorry we got lost along the way,” Wayne said.


“Oh I see,” Judge Parker said slapping Wayne on the back.


“You forgot to tell me about few things I think” Wayne replied.


“Age you know must have slipped my mind happens to all of us when we get old,” Judge laughed then walks away.


Wayne finds Martha and his family sitting at the table waiting and sits down beside her. Bill, Chris, and Brad grab a seat on the other side and joins them and smile, Martha nods to them to be friendly and whispers in her ear, “their not allowed to leave my side dear.” He said and stands up to introduce the three boys and welcomes them to make them feel more at home. Julie and Anna giggle and smile whispering back and forth. One of them she has a crush on already as Julie bats her eyes at him. Robert, EJ, and Will just roll their eyes think good grief watching their sisters stare at these boys. The problem was the boys were staring back, Pa was glad the tent was clear out by the barn. “Yes, he was defiantly going have to keep a close eye on these boys and his daughters.”


Aunty M was having a good time watching the young lovers, remembering what it was like back in her day while looking for that young lass for Richard. Trying figure away get him snared into her trap, “Betty would love that. A nice shotgun wedden just the two of them she could see it now. That would be icien on the cake with a cherry on the top,” as she pulled out tissue dots her eye thinking of hers and Mikes wedden day, “where did the time go?”


Judge Parker gets up on the podium bangs the gavel couple of times, “folks before we get started with tonight's festivities,” pulling out a list from his pocket. “I have some business we need to take care of first. The schoolhouse is now ready and I have a list here of the students that should be attending. We will add more call more teachers if need be, but for now, these are the students that will be attending there. We have made arrangements with the school broad do to the needs and so forth,” he said.


Judge Parker calls out the names of all the children, “EJ, Robert, Will, Anna, Sam, Danny, Bobby, Frank, Mark, Luke, David, Lisa, Sue, Lori, Peter...


“Not called will be attending later or at regular school, they would only compromise so much; give a little if you know what I mean… government official and such,” he said as he snaps his suspenders. Every likes Judge Parker; they yell, “at least you tried,” Thanks them all tells them not give up hope.


“At least we have our little picnic,” he said everyone laughs including Pa. “The biggest one yet on recorded still growing” someone shouts. “Ye haw” as everyone toss their hats in the air. He gives few more announcement and yells, “let’s 'git' these festivities started” someone rings the Dinner Bell and Yells, "COME AND 'GIT' IT!”


Everyone piles to the tables where the food is piled high. Tonight we're having roast beef as tender as you like it with mashers, colored greens, and corn on the cob, brown gravy, turnips, and carrots. “Mmm, mm.”  Homemade apple pies with fresh cream from the cows "WOW!" our eyes were hitting the walls looking at all the food. Yes, sir dinner was a feast down here that's for sure. Had to be when we're feeding 500 people or more. In the distance, you could shotgun firing off one, two, three, and four. Someone was a Pa; he was dragging the preacher by the arm.


Oh no there goes Richard young lass that Aunty M was looking for. He wasn't quick enough, today is her wedden day. After dinner tables lined up against the wall four wagons with teams of horses in the background laid waiting stacked with new quilts, a tent, pots, and pans on the side of each wagon. A new shotgun for hunting game and enough packed supplies to get them started.


Ju
dge and the preacher in the middle, four grooms on one's side, four brides on the other. Mothers behind their daughters, giving them each last minute advice, as the mother placed flowers in each of their hands and giving each a gentle kiss on the cheek and swift kick to give them luck. Men and boy are on the other side with their Pa's and brothers holding the shotguns. Giving them each a last word or two and quick smile and pat on the back. “Good luck son you are on your own,” with a swift kick towards their brides.


The brides and grooms taking their gals hand, looking into their eyes, then looking back at their bride's brothers and Pa's holding the shotguns. Placing the butt's on the floor, leaning on them and giving them a quick nod. As the grooms swallow hard with a quick reminder.


The bride’s looking at their mothers giving them a wink and smile as they wiped a tear from their eye with a tissue. Remembering this was how it was on their wedden day and sigh looking over at their husband across the room. The preacher saying the vows, “this is your husband this here is your wife.” Everyone patting them on the back to congratulating them, then picking them up, placing them all in the wagons, Yelling, “Good luck to ya all sees ya when we get back. Ye haw.”


Pa's, Ma's, and the boy's and old Grandmas grabbing a jug off of the table. “Stump your feet clap yer hands. Grab yer partner and head for the middle. Raise yer hands high into the air and listen to the beat. Slap yer knees swing those feet; gals and lads were about to have a how down.” They dance and dance all rest of the night. Aunty M staggered across the floor with one jug, two jugs of moonshine. She could kick up a storm with the best of them. Martha, Wayne watching her couldn't believe their eyes. Yes, sir. She could work you to death party till she drops.


Doc Hatfield told them that the last jug just had water in just and a hint of vinegar, she wouldn’t know the difference. Watching him stagier himself he said as was headed back to his cot, for a nice pot of Joe. He'll be right as rain by morning gave Wayne some advice. “I can do that?” Wayne said.


“Why not you are the Sheriff. Just get some more help "hic-up" you don't need to be in that office all day son. It’s called delegation “hic-up” boy delegate. Look around son, you have people “hic-up” use them,” he yawns and goes to bed. “Hic-up” staggered to the door.


Martha and Wayne gathered their children, Wayne laughed, “dear how are we going to get home, all we have are the horses and one buggy,” he said.


Wayne dear don't sweat the small stuff, right girls?” His daughters laugh. Ma went over to Mary and Lizzy points over to Aunty M, they laugh and nod. “Wayne we girls will see you boys at home, want to race?” She said as Julie and Anna picked up Sam and Danny headed for the stable. Pa and the boys grab EJ run towards the stable, Ma hands girls Danny and Sam into their laps


Ma takes the reins of the buggy, yells as loud as she can "SNAKE!" People scream this way and that way out of her way as Ma with a flick of the wrist. The horses came to life with a hard start and jump ahead, down the rows of tents down the road towards the farm. Pa and the boys are stunned watching them leave. “Pa I didn't know Ma could drive a wagon?” Robert replied.


“I, I there's lot things you don't know or haven't tied son,” Pa said.

Richard hurry's hands up EJ to Pa and climbs on to his horse as Will and Richard climb on to theirs. The boys dashing out of the stable in a mad dash after them, nearly running people over, yelling back “watch where you're going,”


“Sorry.”


“Oh, just you Sheriff yell “snake.” A man said ducking out of the way.


"SNAKE! SNAKE!!"  Pa yells as everyone moves out of his way faster than grease on a pig; women picking their dress up heading to their tents as the Sheriff heads for home down the road. It wasn't long after his three Deputies Chris, Brad, and Bill noticed he gave them the slip again. Asking around the room where he went? They all laughed and teasing them because he was able to slip right under their noses again; they run to the stables hoped on their horses and headed for the farm as fast as they can yelling "SNAKE!" At the top of their lungs. Those poor women will never sleep tonight looking under their cots for that dreadful snake. Must be academic tonight or the field is infested with them.


Ma beating the boys home by a nose or should I say a wheel as they put the horses away in the barn and two very tired little boys into the house as they all walked back to the house. Here come’s the three deputies dashing into the farm, Robert laughing as he waves to them. Wayne whispering to Martha, “they moved them by the barn,” pointing over to the tent as they walked into the house.


“They what?” She said.


“I told you dear rules,” Wayne replied. Martha sighs and walked on down the hall; helps put Danny and Sam to bed.


Down in the Villa, the party was still going strong. Some were heading off to there tent’s that had children, putting them to bed like good parents should. Mary and Lizzy had a special mission in mind for a certain Aunty M who got left behind and who was too drunk to the gills too drive or ride a horse that night.

Now it just so happens there was a nice creek nearby, where the children have been swimming in and have built a small raft to play on. Finding a couple of nice strong lads and bribing them was not too difficult for two pretty ladies if done right.


They gave her a nice soft cot to sleep on. Put on say this nice raft then tied it on good and tight. Just to make sure she wouldn't hurt herself or scare the fish. It wouldn't be too nice either if she fell off and hurt herself or drowned. They didn't have to bribe someone to camp there tonight, they didn't want to miss the fireworks when she woke the next morning. As long you are part deft it was alright and was going to be a sight to remember for a long time as he laughed. Even the fish were laughing on the other side of the pond, just waiting and popping worm popcorn for the festivities when she awakes.


Ma putting the little ones to bed for the night tucks them softly in and wishes them goodnight. Ma and Pa walking down the kitchen both grabbing a glass of fresh milk, “Aunty M was right,” wiping her sleeves, “there's nothing like having it fresh from the cow.”  Ma and Pa having another glass walked back down the hall, they stopped into the boy's room wishing the boys each a goodnight. Pa whispering to Richard, “sorry about the lass,” he said.


He sighs, “I meet another sir just before we left, and she is twice as pretty,” and sighs. Robert rolled his eyes and throws his hat at him and Will and EJ laugh, “Oh please.” Roll over on their sides snickering at Richard’s next girlfriend .mumbling, “how long is this one going to last?”


Ma and Pa smile closing the door, walk down the hall,” Wayne do you think Aunty M she’s alright?” Ma asked.


“Oh knowing Mary and Lizzy she probably sleeping it off in a nice cot and will wake up really refreshed in the morning, back to her usual self,” he said.


“You think so?” She asked.


“I know so dear,” Pa replied.


Ma and Pa turn the corner to the girl’s room they can hear them giggling inside the room. Talking about the boys they met today as they open the door, “alright girl’s time for bed,” Ma said.


“Yes, Ma,” Pa warning them to leave those boys outside alone. “Yes, Pa.


“I mean it,” he said then giving them each a kiss on the cheek and wishing them goodnight. Closing the door behind them walking down the hall to their room. This time not closing the door all the way, just to makes sure that they and everyone stays where they belonged, all girls and boys.


Ma and Pa thank each other for the meal since she did help prepare it and her house still full just slight scattered here and far, and her heart is full. “Martha dear I forgot you knew how to drive wagon. Glad to see you have a good time dear,” as he folds his arms around her.


“Goodnight my Sheriff and my man and the moon goodnight.”



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

66 Views
Added on February 12, 2019
Last Updated on January 17, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep