Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 8


Mr. Rooster took a walk that fine morning along the old farm road. He was headed for Downing Villa Squire, he was afraid he might end up being fried chicken. Too many women around with kitchen knives for pies, he wasn’t planning on being in one either. He also knew the men down there most likely couldn't cook worth a lick.  Not to mention too drunk to stick him or catch him in net, to put him in a pot for chicken or rooster dumplings.


Climbing on a pole to have a little fun, he cleared his throat with a little cough after a quick swallow of moonshine that he stole from Aunty M window. Pops an eyeball, with a shake of his head “oh that's good stuff,” ruffling his feathers, puffing his breast feathers. Then with full force yells, "C**K DOODLE DO!” Just to makes sure, runs to the others side with a slight stager of the yard does it again, “C**K DOODLE DO!”  He falls and hides in a barrel with a jug of moonshine and pan of leftover sweet cornbread tucked under his wing.


Men falling too the ground as they stumbled left and right, scattering out of the tents in their drawers. Carrying pee shooters and their nets only wearing a half shoe, or barefoot, holes in their socks with their big toe sticking out. Mr. Rooster laughed so hard nearly rolled his barrel as he plucked pieces of cornbread into his mouth downed the jug of moonshine. "C**k," popped an eyeball, ruffling his feathers, “ooh that's good stuff.” Hiccuping, blenching ... “oh my that's gooood stuff.” Taking another couple more swallows. As he watched the men stumbled around after him while he sits and laid safely tucked away in the barrel.


His new friends the cows are waking the farm, understood his predicament gave him the day off. “Thanks, ladies, Mr. Rooster won't forget the favor.”… Hiccuping… “C**k” ruffling his feathers... as he heads down the road towards Downing Villa.


Rose and Clementine took charge of the farm this fine morning as they stroll over by the winder of Robert and Will "MOOOOOOO, MOOOOOOOOO” as Will hits the ceiling and Robert and Richard sprawl onto the floor wondering what happened to Mr. Rooster. Dashed out the door towards the barn yelling, “Ma please tell me you didn't cook him?” with tears in their eye's.


“No boy's we would never do that; now go milk your cow’s boys.” 


Ma dashed down the hall pounding on Aunty M door waking her up asking her about Mr. Rooster. “No dear I thought it was strange he didn't crow,” as she looked for her missing jug by the window then dashed out of bed in her nightgown out to the pin.


Everyone one looked all day for Mr. Rooster out on the farm. He wasn't in the hen house, not in the barn. He was nowhere to be found. Granny scratched off chicken off the menu until he was found. Hoping it would make the boys happy as they laid a reef around his pin and left the gate open and a card with a note. Saying they were sorry and they missed him, even Aunty M made him a whole pan of sweet cornbread set in his pin in hopes he come back home soon. They even sent out for a friend so he’d have someone talk to. Another rooster to keep him company when he came back home, so he wouldn't be lonely anymore. They had the boys build another pin right beside it to put him in.


The Sheriff and the boys gathered horses head for the Villa with the roster in their hands. Yelling “come on boys let’s get cracken,” as the dust flies from the hoofs of the horse's feet, down the old road towards the squire. The six men side by side taking no prisoners and not taking “no” for an answer. There was work to be done and it was a new day. The Sheriff pulled into the squire right in the middle yelling at top of his lungs. “I need,” calling names off the roster, dressed in twenty minutes at Sheriffs Office, and then take his horse heads on over.


Next, Richard yelled. “I need” calling names on the roster, dressed in twenty minutes at 
Chapel Drive then take his horse heads over there. Next, Robert yelled “I need” calling names off the roster, dressed in twenty minutes at the Square and then take his horse heads on over there. All the boys and men worked in pairs taking their group of men where they needed to be today. The other three Deputies making sure the Villa is running as did the day before. Organized, clean up, setting up committees so things don't fall apart again the way they did.  This time setting rotation schedules like the women at the farm. Someone shouted in the crowd, “When are they coming back?”


Sheriff laughed from distant. “Boys when you showed them you want them back and you can learn to behave yourselves until then you are on your own.”  Sheriff waved his hat.  “Yee-haw, let’s get cracken boys daylights a burnen. Oh if see our rooster please don't eat him, boys, we need him back at the farm.”


The Sheriff and his men met all at the office, he lined them all up to be counted then looked them straight in the eye. “Men are you ready to go to work?” Walking down the line of his men. “Good, says here there's a barn that needs to be built over at Mr. Crawford's farm. It burned down six years ago, he’s been trying to build new one ever since. I say let’s go build one men.”


“Yes sir” the men replied.


The men all piled into the wagons loaded the supplies they needed then headed to the spot designated on the map for the day. Wagons rolling, men singing in the fields, what a fine day for a barn raising as they clear the old burned wood, laid a new foundation and walls in a half day.


Richard and his men and boys are down by the tent schoolhouse. Richard walked up down the yard of the school. “This won't do boys,” he said as he looked at the tent school, “no sir. I need something stronger, closer,” pacing up and down the line. “The rains are coming soon,” as he looked at the sky shaking his head, “can't have sick children, can we? No sir this won’t do.”


“Take to long build schoolhouse sir with brick and walls to support,” a man replied in the crowd.


Richard smiles, “don't have to, do we men? No not when I have a nice comfortable barn to put them in and house right next to it.”


They all laughed, “Why didn't you say so?” As they grabbed the benches from the inside and blackboard's and empty the room, down comes the school tent house, neatly folding in the pegs and back into the wagons. Men and the boys singing merrily towards the farm to set up the new school for the children in the hayloft in the barn where it's warm and dry when the weather starts to turn.


Robert waited patiently and nervous as a cat on stilt's since he was the youngest of the group of Deputies and not so sure how men and boys are going to respond to him giving orders from such a young boy. Doc Hatfield is in this group whispered in his ear. “Just act like your Pa son they'll come right around,” he said.


“Thanks, Doc,” as he whispered back and swallowed hard, “Boys,” looking them straight in the eye, “it’s our job too clear and plants this field,” Robert said pointed to a place on the map.  “200 hundred acres for next years crop for Mr. Summit. He's been ill for some time has not had a chance to do it as he tries to get back on his feet. Do you think you can do it?” He asked.


“Yes sir,” they replied.  The men and boys all hopped into the wagons grabbing their horses and plows and shovels and whatever they needed with song and jig they headed yonder to the field with Robert in the lead. They plowed and plant that entire field by that late afternoon with brand new fruit trees. They hoe and sang a merry oh song as they headed back down to Downing Villa.


The three Deputies’ have been busy as well reorganizing the town, they found some cooks that new a thing or two. Making sure chicken was not on the menu. Not until Mr. Rooster was safe and sound where he belongs back on the Downing farm. I think the other chickens were missing him too.


Girls went out to do their chores to collect the eggs for the breads and desserts. Showing Ma their basket of eggs, bring in half a dozen eggs. “This all we could find, I think chickens are on strike,” they said showing them the empty baskets and passing it around the room. Aunt Mary, Aunt Lizzy looked towards the rooster pin shaking their heads. “Oh my, what are we going to do? No eggs for breakfast, no eggs for bread or desserts, oh dear I do hope he comes home soon,” they said.


Mr. Rooster passed out in his barrel, boys and men return to Downing Villa while the Sheriff and his boys head on back to the farm yelling, “thanks boys see ya tomorrow behave yourselves,” as they head up the road to the farm. “Ye-haw.”


Pa and the boy's greet old granny at the gate with a smile shouting. “It's just us and the boys, how are ya and Ned and his foot?” The Sheriff asked.


Granny waves them in without her gun. “It was double loaded it went off shot off his big toe last night.”


Robert and snickers, Pa laughed, “I knew we should have checked that gun,” shaking his head. Shouts, “Granny we will get you another one, it's behind the barn,” he said.


“Thanks, Sheriff,” watching her smile pick up skirts and run.


Ned shouts, “watcha do that fer?”


“Son to match the other one,” The Sheriff said and slaps him hard on the back. “Don't sweat the small stuff son that gun not loaded,” rubbing his chin. “Lest I don't think it is,” He said.


Martha rang the dinner bell yells, "Come and Get It." Everyone around the farm piles to the tables Ma waited for the boys and the Sheriff. “Hands boys,” then give them a swift kick towards the house and smiles with Aunty M approval. Opens the door gives Wayne an extra kick through the door to make him hop.


“Alright, alright I'm moving,” he said as she smiles.


“Yes dear, I know. I just like the way you move,” she said as she laughed.


Aunty M hearing soft whisper, “me too” from the corner of her ear a shadow leaving a chill up her spine. “I can't wait for my wedding day… it has been such a long time since I had a dance with someone who will be my wife.” Aunty M looked towards Lizzy and Mary “with children and some fun,” as he hums softly in her ear then disappears into the shadows of the night.


Things have slightly improved and changed for some of the women; for they have taken pity on their dear husband after many have come groveling back on their hands and knees. I think it had to do with the cooking personally and the fact they were just lonely and knew better and after the moonshine had run dry. They let some of them come back to their wives setting conditions. “Yes, dear, whatever you say, dear,” as the men looked watched the boys down at Downing Villa still suffering and laid back. The men up on the farm had little bit different somber life that's for sure.


Aunty M had them clear another field, small one just for them. They named it "
Cracken Town.” To remind them all to let’s get cracken boys when they went to work. It didn't have the nicety of the Downing Villa because it was just a place for the families to rest their heads. Plus stay out of Sheriff's way and to keeping everyone together when he called them too work and filter out the laziest stiffs. The good apples from the people that were just passing through as he called them and still keeping Downing Villa because they were still pouring in by the hundreds last counted 800. “Shush” theirs meeten going on.


“Well boys,” Margaret pouring a cup of Joe pulled up a stool. “Looks like things are going well. I talk to Marty the other day, say's herd will be down here tomorrow I reckon and to start setting up the next batch.
Wayne still needs more boys I think and were still short-handed elsewhere too if you know what I mean,” giving them a wink. “Mike lift me a job to do we need to do it,” she replied.


“Yes, Ma’am.”


“So let’s get cracken… quick does the light,” as Wayne walked by Mr. Stringum's Hardware and Goods. Opens the Sheriff office for more charts and papers he paused, “Na just the wind,” heads on back to the farm.


Aunty M and the boys sigh with relief as they looked under the tent flap, “that was close. Well, I better head back to the farm myself Doc mind walking with me for while?”  She asked watching the shadows casting off their light.


Doc laughed, “You're not afraid of the dark Margaret are ya?” He asked as she slugs him in the arm.


“Na just wanted your company, you old sawbones.” Margaret said as she and Doc walked few paces, “Doc do ya get the feeling someone watching you?” She asked.


Doc turned to Margaret then sees she not kidding. “Why?” Doc asked.


“Oh just something Mike said to me once, never paid him never a mind, now wishing I did that's all. Just being foolish, old age I guess, thanks Doc,” and pats him on the back leaves him standing there.


Doc rubbed his chin watched her leave, feeling a cold chill run down his spine, out of the corner of his eye just for a minute, “Na” then turned around. Heads back to his tent back in Downing Villa.


Margaret walked back to the farm along the dirt road not paying attention to looking ahead as a figure steps out. “Hello Margaret minds if we walk a bit,” he said as they looked towards the farm.


Margaret turned to see his face, “oh it’s you again. Don't you have anything better to do than pester an old woman?” She asked.


“Oh come on now, is that the way to great a friend soon too be a member of the family,” Death replied.


Margaret stumbles as he catches her, a chill runs up her spine from his touch. “Sorry it’s been a long time for me, need to work on that, please forgive me.” Then tries to offer his hand again she refused he just smiles and understands. “Maybe next time, Mike says hello by the way and says you are doing just fine if you would like to know we talk all the time; he is feeling much better now,” he said.


“Mike says you are right, he does need more men to help build more and need more strong lads to lead them too, and you will be just fine. In fact, I sent the word out myself to help you... Hope ya don't mind,” the man called Death said as he smiled. “You are in it for the long haul, their comen. So I would get on the horn get cracken,” he said as he fads back into the shadows leave her standing there.


Margaret turned, gasp then laughed at herself, “I thought I was the one calling the shots,” picking up her skirt and runs to the house. Yelling, “Martha put on the pot make it strong dear and put on a second,” screaming all the way in.


Martha seeing Aunty M come charging into the house as white as a sheet grabbing the pot right off the stove and a cup downing it one, right after another nearly drinking the whole pot of Joe before seating down in the chair shaking like a leaf as she stared out the window. She could barely hold the cup in her hand as the screen door slams shut, nearly jumps right out of her chair. Aunty M begins to pour her another cup. 


Lizzy stops her, “Alright Margaret,” taking it out of her hands, “I think you've had enough,” setting it on the table.” Aunty M looks at her and grabs the cup and swallows it whole and then another. Slams the cup down right in front of her, “now I have had enough,” she said. 


Then sits the cup in front of Lizzy pours her a cup looking her straight in the eye without blinking. “I don't drink Joe you now that Margaret, it's too strong for me,” Lizzy replied.


“Dear, you will after what I have to say and tell you both,” sitting Mary down as well. “Martha sorry dear,” passing the tea to her. “Best you can have dear. Not good for the baby if know what I mean,” putting some milk it patting her hand. “Now then where do I begin?” Pouring herself a cup making sure everyone has a cup and nods.


“It was just that other night you remember,” glancing over at the window towards Downing Villa............Mary, Lizzy, and Martha gasp watching their faces turn white, getting goosebumps as she nods as she tells them her tale about the conversations she been having with a party of one called death. She left out the marrying part of course to Lizzy and Mary. Some secrets were best not to be told if you know what I mean? Mary and Lizzy dumped the teapot down the sink. 


Somehow as Mary and Lizzy looked at the shadows “The English can keep it.” Mary said still shaking rubbing her arms from the goosebumps, listening to Margaret on the phone.

“Marty I think we need to double that order,” she said as she looked outside at the lumber in the yard. “And start shipping earlier than planned, they say theirs a storm coming I can feel it in my bones. That's right to send some those down to as well and the herd put them on a train and start the next one. That's right. You better get those boys moven thanks, Marty. Such a good boy Mike would be so proud and I bet he is too.” Not waiting for a reply from the shadows.


Aunty M sends off a telegram to before going to bed then grabs glass milk and couple of drops to help her sleep and turns off the light. Wave's goodnight to Martha and Wayne and yawns falls to sleep. “If he safe let’s keep him that way. Keep those other two and his parents from doing any more mischief further away than we can.” She said rubbing her arms looked down the hall towards EJ room and out the window. “I hate to break up a party of two, but it must be done for both their sake if my hunch is right.” She said as a soft whisper with a nudge, “good thinking Margaret it is time, past time goodnight.” The voices in the shadows said.


Wayne and Martha make the rounds like they do every night stopping first in the boy's room giving each of their sons a kiss on the head. Martha noticed EJ head is a little bit warm tonight wiped the sweat of his head turned down his sheets. “Maybe he’s just hot that's all,” gives him kiss. “Goodnight son,” moves on; places Richards hand back into bed smiles. Then brushed the hair out Will and Roberts's eyes whisperer, “goodnight” then closed the door.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

58 Views
Added on February 13, 2019
Last Updated on January 17, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep