Chapter 11

Chapter 11

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 11


Granny was the only one left in the house as the shadows leap about the room as she warms her hands by the fire. Tossing EJ's shoes into the fire which she found under his bed marked school shoes for the winter. A small whisper enters the room, “Granny,” cold chills, heading down towards hall into the room with a jug in his hand and card with a present to her and from an old friend.


Dear Granny, I thought you would like to try some of my corn husk moonshines it's from an old recipe.


Granny turns around. “Na just hearen things,” tossing the shoes into the fire taking swallow before heading down the hall too bed. Opening the door to the room seeing the jug on the table she smiles seeing the note beside it. “Oh how sweet,” looking towards the window where Aunty M and the Downing's are sleeping. “They left me a gift,” wiping a tear from her eye. 


Pulling the cork taking a whiff, a small wisp of wind tickles her ears, “no Granny it's from me,” as she turns around seeing him sitting in the chair with two glasses. Mr. Golden Eyes himself, sickness and health another man called Death introducing him as the door closes locking them in.


Granny throws back her head and laughs as he poured her a glass and one for him. He is too handsome to resist as she looks deep into his golden eyes, he knew she was his. They drank few glasses danced to soft music in the room, talked until wee hours of the night then as she dozed off he crept off into the shadows of the night


As the Downing family slept outside on the foundation while Granny slept down the hall in Aunty M’s room in a nice soft feather bed. Smoke slowly filled the house from the shoes that were burning in the fireplace. From the rubber soles as they leaped out onto the wooden floor, melting the hot liquid rubber onto the rug in front of the fireplace. With a little help from Morgan as he lures Margaret right where he wanted them. He also knows he needs a way to get the Dark Prince out of this home and back into his parents care. Knowing if he doesn’t and doesn’t do it soon, he could lose the opportunity and his chance of getting the prize.


The Downing’s were incorruptible, every time he has tried; they have turned down the chance of making them rich and powerful. Most of all the Council Of Light are watching the boy to closely here. Twice he has had to intervene and stop them. Twice he has tried to hurry things up, so this boy will be ready to take his place by his side. Only to have them interfere with his plans.


It didn't take long before the rug ignited into flames and started to spread quickly throughout the house. Doc felt the sudden heat from the house and the light from the widows hearing someone yelled “FIRE! FIRE!” Coming from Martha as she woke her husband with a start and the children, running them to safety. While Wayne and the boys were grabbing buckets of water.


Doc counting heads noticed Granny and Aunty M were not there. Panic struck him as heard the window break seeing Aunty M diving into the house after Granny through the back door rush in after her to help. Doc and Aunty M retrieved Granny from the room coming through the open window, yelling for Wayne as he rushed over pulled everyone out before the beams come down around them. All they could do was watch as the house went up in smoke as they huddle around dosing the flames, with their small buckets water.


Others down the road came to help, but it was too late. The house was gone they were only able to save a few things, but everything else was gone as morning came. Help finally arrived after they were putting out the hot spots and the cinders with shovels. The children in tears as Ma and Aunts, other farmer ladies try to calm them.


EJ was really worried and started to panic now that house was gone, so was he because nobody had a place to live and feared that he would have to go back. Fear started working back into his mind he needed a place to hide. He knew a storm was coming he needed a place to hide from it.  EJ looked at his new family, he knew they could not handle what's was coming. They had more problems to deal with than they can handle. It was time to leave as he looked towards the road.


EJ making sure the sheet was tied around his waist grabbing the crutch slips off into the darkened shadows and disappears, wiping the tears from his eyes. Not knowing that a dark wizard named Morgan was behind this, knowing that he wanted him to leave the Downing’s, so he could take him and turn him against the world he lives in and destroy it like he has done with so many worlds before. He didn’t know that he was destined to be the Dark Prince, He didn’t know that until last night as the visitor came and took him away to warn him, and to prepare him. He had no idea why this visitor seemed so familiar. Every time he tied to access that memory it was if something was blocking him.


Everyone busy bustling about in the commotion never noticed EJ missing for at least an hour as Ma and Pa gathered the children to take them all to New Downing to one of the barracks to get some rest. “Will, have you seen EJ? He was right here,” Ma said pointing to the spot under the tree where they left him.


“No Ma,” he said.


“How about you Robert?” Ma asked looking around the farm begins to panic.


“No Ma he was right here,” Julie replied couldn’t believe he was really gone and where would he go and why.


Martha turned to Wayne with fear in their eyes gazing towards the remains of the house then up and down the road of the farm. “No Wayne,” she said as she gasps putting her hand to her mouth, “he wouldn't?” Martha said and stares at Wayne as they begin to start tearing the farm apart looking for him, but never could find him.


The family all in a panic dashing about the farm calling out, “EJ,” hoping he would answer; “he couldn't have gone too far,” Ma replied as the tears flowed down her cheeks as they searched. Which was true, he was hiding in the best place of all. He wasn't' going to tell, he was too busy eating sweet cornbread.


With EJ gone missing, they didn't know what to do; Ma and Pa knew they all need some shelter for all them. New Downing was the place that had everything they needed. Of course, Cracken Villa would be closer, but temporary considering everyone was moving over to New Downing where the barracks and trade are coming through. The tents will be coming down in another month or two as the people started settling in and returning back to their homes. The Farmers Picnic was coming to a close according to the latest news was the largest on record 900. The problem was more are still coming every day we have 6 to 7 weddings a night, 25 new babies, opened a new cemetery.


Aunty M pacing as she looked down the road feeling useless. “If you want I can take the little ones and the girls to New Downing send back some clothes for the boys then when you find him and when you come back well have everything set up for you, and I’ll give that boy a piece of my mind. Imagine running off like that,” Aunty M said looking towards the house still smothering with a little wisp of black smoke... “It wasn't his fault, just dumb luck that's all,” she replied.


“Thanks, Aunty M,” Martha said giving her hug wiping the tears from her eyes. “I wonder why he left, we can replace a house, but a family,” she said wiping the tears from her eyes.


“I know dear now scoot I've got it, well see you ya in a while and if I see him I'll hog tie him to a bed for ya dear. He won't dare move a muscle,” she said climbing to the buggy. “Alright Julie how about you drive dear my hands are a little bit sore,” she said.


“But I've never,” Julie replied


“Oh, you haven't done a lot of things dear,” giving her the reigns holding on tight. With a flick of the wrist the horses came to life with a hard start and jumping leaving the front of the barn, and then they started to gallop, everyone hanging on tight as they go past the remains of the house and down the road few paces. Girls holding onto Sam and Ted, boys laughing and Julie trying to hold tight on to the reins of the buggy her face turned white as a sheet trying not to panic as they turn around the corner the wheel slightly lifts off the ground when she turns.


Aunty M face was calm and collected as a cumber, then buggy swerves just a little as it gets back into control Julie lets out a big sigh. “That wasn't so difficult,” looking at the Aunty M faces for a just seconded as the horse even out to nice clip clipped clop down the road. Aunty M laughs, “Julie dear you are on your way to becoming a fine woman.” Sam and Ted in the lap heading down the road waving to the people as they go down the road in their buggy to New Downing. “Next time will let Anna drive,” as she puts her arm around her. “Would like that dear?” Aunty M laughed.


Pa, Ma, and the boys searched high and low all over the farm, “EJ,” calling out his name. Derrick was angry as he watched the Downing search for the boy he was doing his best to protect them from Morgan this is the fourth time he has had to intervene because of him. Now he was trying to get the boy to leave the home, so he could manipulate advents that he and the Council Of Light were doing everything it takes to prevent the Dark Prince from rising. Now that Jeff was dead and could no longer be the White Solon as the prophecies stated that was the key to returning the darkness where it belongs.


Yet that left the Dark Prince, and what they had gathered was the boy EJ was the Dark Prince if Morgan could complete the rituals that not only free his master Hess but allowing the Dark Prince to arise… something that couldn’t be allowed to happen. All the work would be for not. They had hoped that if they found a loving home such as the Downing’s the boy would be safe, and people would gather around him not only to protect him but provide help to save this world and the other worlds beyond, but not allowing the Dark Prince to rise.


With a wave of his hand, he blows sleeping dust on to the boy and takes his other hand forcing the white sheet around the boy to push through the cracks and with a nod of approval he plants an idea in the minds of Robert and Will where to look. His job was done at the moment. The boys discovered EJ’s hiding place. He could hear Morgan cursing and smiles as he dissipates and calls reinforcements to help protect the boy as time is growing short and Morgan is desperate and more powerful.


Robert noticed a piece of the sheet in the corner of the rooster pin, tucked in the corner sticking out of a hole from the ground. The brothers sigh with relief as they find Pa and Ma telling them they found him. As Pa opens the lid of the pin of the roosters finding him fast asleep covered in dirt and feathers. Mr. Rooster snuggled up with him on his lap. Will, Robert carefully remove the rooster, why Pa picks him up in his arms. Then setting him down next to Ma where he belongs. Ma takes a handkerchief to wash his face rocking him gently against her until there was nothing left. Ma and the boys all head back to New Downing where everyone was waiting happily, and all aunts giving him a piece of their mind.


Pa told him, the house was not all that important, it was just made of wood filled with stuff, and we can always build another. He just doesn't know how we're going to do it by spring, but that's not important, Pa said as he puts his hand on his shoulder and smiles. The import thing is we're all safe and altogether that's what count's and matters most, “right boys?” he replied.


Right Pa, yes sir,” as his sister smothers him with kisses and hugs. Ma cleans him up changes his bandages putt's him back to bed sits in the chair next to him begins sewing him a new set of clothes.


Pa and the boys headed on back to the farm to see what they can salvage from the house after finding them all a change of clothes. When they get there they find a whole crew of men with wagons lined up. “Well, are you just going to stand there gocking at us boy's we have a house to build?”  Mr. Stringum's said pulling out an extra set of plans.


“Yes, sir.” The boys and Wayne replied as they ran into the barn grabbing their belts off the wall. Wayne laughing and flabbergasted at all the men as Aunty M and Marty come pulling in with another supply of lumber. Yelling “YAH!, YAH!” with three more right behind them, enough to get them started.


Wayne we just thought you could use some more,” she said slapping him hard on the back knocking the wind right out him. “Now let’s gets cracken.” Aunty M replied. The men and boys cleared the entire old house away, laid part of the new foundation of the new house by suppertime. It was impressive, to say the least except for a few minor details.


Martha comes over with Aunty M walking over inspecting the work looking over their shoulders. “So where's the storage room, fruit cellar gonna be located for the kitchen roughly Scott?” Aunty M said looking at the foundation.


“Fruit cellar?” He replied lost scratching his head looking at the ground then the general direction of the kitchen then looking at the list of items planned to be built. “Nobody said anything about a fruit cellar,” he said.


“Well we can't have a house without one,” rolling their eyes, “just not natural, no sir,” hands him a shovel.  The boys spend another day digging a hole in the ground big enough to suit them and laying the foundation again re-figuring in adjusting making things a little bit bigger.


Things were going smoothly until the walls started going up and more minor details. Scott was standing in where the living room supposed to be. “I can't put my finger on, but isn't there supposed to be a fireplace in here somewhere?” Aunty M said looking at plans “I don't even see a chimney that's strange, all that firewood going to waste out in his barn and no fireplace. Who drew these plans?” Aunty M said looking over his shoulder.


Scott threw down the clipboard steaming, “I did, they said nothing about no fireplace, no cellar, and no chimney!” Walked away too cool off.


“I was just asken,” Aunty M said watching him leave. Rolling her eyes, “men are so touchy.” Aunty M decides better make a copy of this here list see what else was missing making few extra notes adding few additions to it why he's gone he'll never notice the changes. “Oh, there you are, Scott, me and ladies noticed a few more things,” handing him a list. “That they noticed these items missing,” leaving him standing there.


Mr. Stringum's reads the list eyes popping staring at them walking back to the buggies, then back at the list then at the plans taking the plans rips them in two throws them into the air. Putting his head in his hands and laughs looks up at Wayne, hands him the list, slap’s him on the back. “We are in trouble son,” pointing to them going down the road.


Wayne throws back his head grins then laughs, “now he thinks we're in trouble.”


He wasn't kidding they needed brick for the fireplace. It would take at least a week to get it here and another week to build it. Not mention they add three more, one for the nursery and play area and one for the master bedroom. Plus extra window here and a porch that goes halfway back and a deck she loved the foundation for dancing and a little bit larger kitchen with two extra windows with breakfast nook for sewing and stuff. The list went on and on.


Wayne and Mr. Stringum headed to the barn to draw up some new plans for the house with the list the ladies made and with the one they already had to make the changes and additions they needed to make. Setting some guidelines that no more major changes where allowed. After they complained they finally agreed by adding a couple more. They compromised on certain terms as women folk do are give a little goes a long way. They lost the breakfast nook kept the window and the deck would be added on later. Kitchen and fireplaces there was no compromising they drew the line. So they finalized the plans men rolling their eyes and sleeves pervading some of the simple farmers had any.


Wayne's boys were still working with one pair overalls which was fine considered it was still summer but that was coming to an end. “Well since it is gone a take week for the brick we might as well get you boys some more clothes and we have a lumber mill to look at, sheep that need sheering and cotton that needs be worked. So let’s get cracken.” Pa said.


“Doc what do you think? EJ well enough,” Aunty M asked lifting his chin, “to get out of this bed.”  She asked turning EJ head side to side.


“Yes sir, fevers gone, removed couple more stitches. Martha got him a new pair of shorts. I got the other crutch right here not that he will need very long. Gals made him a new Kitenge, yes sir, its time get him moving,” Doc said.


“Did you say sheering sheep?” EJ replied.


“Yes I did,” Aunty M said with a laugh.


“What sheep and how?” EJ asked feeling surprised as Aunty M laughs.


“Boy there's lot things you haven't done,” she said pulling out her knife. Ma helped EJ get ready to go to town with the boys and Aunty M and Marty.


It was easier getting around with two crutches than one. It just took a little more work that's all. It still hurt putting weight on his left side trying not to pull any faces as he moved around a bit.


“Take it slow now EJ,” Ma would tell him.


“I know Ma, I know,” trying to hurry out the door as she shakes her head at him and sighs.



* * *

 


Pa loaded them all into the pickup and headed for Payson stopping, to buys some more clothes too wear. Man was they a sight, three boys all dressed as simple farmers covered in dirt and black stains from the fire, which would never wash out. EJ in kitenge, Aunty M and Marty ranchers, Pa dressed part framer part Downing Sheriff.


“Hello Mr. Downing, boy's fine day wouldn't you say?” Mrs. Collins said not really caring for the first time to them what they are wearing. “Glad see that you are doing well, how's that wife of yours?” Wayne the boys shocked watching her. “I don't believe we meet,” as she introduces herself to Aunty M and Marty.


“Well hope to be seeing you real soon, plan on coming down that way. My grandson you know he just loves it down there,” leaves them standing there. Wayne and the boy’s just watch her go bewildered and stunned.


“Who was that woman Wayne?” Aunty M asked watching her go down the street.


“Not sure anymore,” he said.


Pa fitted the boys out for some new clothes again, bought extras this time even bought a new pair of boots for Ned and Aunty M bought him a hat, jeans, and a rope. Pa filled the pickup with gas so the boys could change and toss the overalls, Aunty M would not hear of it, put them back in the pickup make good scarecrows she said.”


“Are you crazy?” The boys said; knew just what do with those, leaving them behind on the bench. Replacement for one good scarecrow straw hat said the note pinned on top as Pa drove away before she could say no. For the boys and Pa knew better than Aunty M not mess with scarecrows or Ma's.


EJ and Pa folded the Kitenge in the box placing it in the back of the pickup. Oh, how good felt to have a nice clean pair of overalls and a pair of shorts to wear. Only a farmer boy, but that's ok as he looked at Will, Robert, and Richard, and these shoes on his feet; compared to that nothing seemed all that important as he looked down the road towards his parent's house which some people would call that home. “Why sweat the small stuff, but man he hated wearing shoes.”



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

61 Views
Added on February 13, 2019
Last Updated on January 18, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep