Chapter 14

Chapter 14

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 14


Hello boys my name is Mr. Larry Grams, looks like you'll be working for me,” he said as he looks up from his printing press. Wearing a black apron which helps covers the ink stains off the print. Mr. Grams was the run of the mill guy and had been the newspaper business like forever. He still used the old printing press compared to the ones they use in the modern world. Made of wood and metal using elbow grease and turning drum of ink that turned by hand then when satisfied he turns on the motor. He had gray-white hair and thin white mustache and was the average height of 5 foot 9 or so. Strong as an ox with a pot belly that jiggled when he laughed.  Blue eyes and round soft complexion with aristocrat nose and double chin. 

He said. “Yes sir we got work to do boys, but I think you might want to change those clothes you'll find them on your beds. I'll have your first set of papers ready in few minutes when you get back,” Mr. Grams said went back to printing the papers, Sheriff and the boy's wave thanks to him before leaving and go next door. To the New Downing Post Offices, they enter the door finding Mr. Jason Rivers waiting at the counter for them.

Mr. Jonathan Rivers was the opposite of Mr. Grams tall reaching the height of 6 foot 7 at least as he towered over you. Brown hair cut short, and lot younger than Mr. Gram. With brown eyes and more of a chiseled face with short stubby noses which seemed big compared to his small round blue eyes hidden under his steal frame glasses that sat on the end of his nose. He had larger hands and long fingers, to go with his two long tree branch arms. He gave them a quick nod as he was just finishing up with a customer at the counter. 

“Hello, boy's Sheriff Whitmore, top of the morning to ya. I see you brought me some new helpers since mine are elsewhere these days,” Mr. Rivers smiling at the boys. “Yes, sir sure could use the help thanks Sheriff just send them by when they're ready. I'll have their mailbags and packages waiting outside on their horses,” waves them goodbye turning to the next customer at the counter. 

The boys and the Sheriff leave and head back towards their cottage. Where they found Ma and Pa waiting with Rena beside them, Ma giving each of her sons a kiss and a hug before letting them inside the door. Pa telling them how proud he is of them with a tear in his eye as he puts a hand on their shoulder, “you are on your way son in becoming a young man, leaving the boy behind,” Pa said as he watched his sons go through that door he whispers to himself what more could a father ask for?

Once inside the boys find 3 bunk beds one for each boy with a footlocker to store their clothes in and nightstand with cubby hole to place keepsake or picture. On the beds are their uniforms for work with hats to wear. 4 pairs of jeans, 4 works shirts with patches that say New Downing News and Post Boy with matching cowboy hat with the logo and sash for the horse. The cottage had a small kitchen and living room with a table and chairs for them all and bathroom right down the hall with a tub. 

There was small pot belly stove for heat and wood stacked nearby to last for a day or so with tender box and ax for chopping more and a box of coal. The cabinets were filed so was the small pantry with food and supplies and a fridge was chucked full of meat and food. On the counter was recipe box on how to prepare the food and what ingredients they would need to make it with. They had everything they needed as if they were on their own as they sat on the bed looking at each other thinking of the mess they were in, more so as Robert and Will looked at EJ next to them and out the bedroom window.

Robert being the oldest of the group stood up looking around the room, “Heck this not so bad,” he said looking around the room. “We can do this, it could be worse, a lot worse,” as he looks over at EJ. 

“How?” They all replied.

“For starters” Robert replied. “We could have nothing at all and have to start from scratch. Find a job and buy everything first to just to survive. They just want to see if we can make go of it and I know we can with little help and guidance from them, we will be just fine, besides as we always say don't sweat the small stuff. Now let’s change our clothes and stop hanging our heads and go out there like men and show them we can do it.”  Putting forth his hand, lifting them off the bed, they quickly change their clothes setting their farmer clothes and kitenge into the footlockers head out the door as young men on a mission. They headed right to the News Paper office opening the door. “Mr. Grams we are ready,” as they said as they lined up at the counter all dressed in their uniforms. 

Mr. Gram’s smiles at them shook each of their hands, “glad to meet you, boys. Alright, papers are ready,” pointing to the stack. “I want you, three boys… EJ, Will, and Frank for today too start selling them on these corners. Yell at the top you are lungs the headlines of the front page that catches your interests at 50 cents a paper. Robert, Mark and Peter, you go over to Mr. Rivers Post office today.”

“Yes sir,” they replied.

Robert and the two boys head over next door leaving the other three with a pat on the back whispers, “se ay later alligator.”

Them whispering back, “see ya later bunk-mate.”

The boys noting the three horses outside with saddles and bags filled with letters and packages. They whistled, “Wholly cow, it's going to be a long day,” as their eyes popped out of their heads walk inside the post office. 

“Hello, boys your horses are ready,” and handing them each a list with a route map of directions with the address on it.

“Now then to make it a little fun,” he said as he laughed slapping a five dollar bill on the counter. “The first one done with his route and walks through that door gets this. One, two, three go.” The boys run out the door as fast they can jumping on their horses, kicking dirt, heading in three different directions with a letter or package in hand. Mr. Rivers laughing watching them go with dust flying down the road, “yep works every time,” rubbing his chin laughing. Thinking of Ned and Bill then sighs, yes sir what more can postman ask for?

Mr. Gram’s sets up a nice create for EJ with a pile of newspapers beside him on his corner too sell in full view of him and the Sheriff's men and placing the other boy's on the other two corners selling theirs as well. He would from time to time sit outside and listen to them yell selling their little hearts out. “Extra, extra read all about it. Chicken with two heads" or "Cow with three legs," "Mother gives birth to four babies,” every once in while they change the headlines to sell more papers, “Death looking for a wife seen stocking the area,” “Downing Villa filled with ghosts.” People would start crowding around them buying paper after paper reading them. Rubbing his chin thinking of Chris and Brad then sigh’s “yes sir.” laughing watching these three boys and their little headliners “what more could a newspaperman ask for?” Mr. Grams giving a nod to the Sheriff and his boys goes back inside.

Pa and Richard headed for the farm to check on things there since the boys are busy doing other things as he smiles thinking of his days as a youth what memories they were growing up. Loading things up in the wagon, the tools and things they were going to need for the day, they headed out. Wayne handing the reins to Richard to drive as he smiles. Richard calmly flick his wrist like an old pro as Wayne settles back enjoys the ride back to the farm, yes sir this young lad has come long ways as he smiles at him. What a fine young man he has turned out to be I think his father would have been proud of him. 

When they arrived back at the farm the gangs all there, working away on the house laying the brick and walls and chimneys and lines for the water and electricity inside the house. “Well, boy's it's about time you got here,” as the men from the house laugh at Wayne and Richard laughing. As they quickly put on their belts joined the boys to help them rebuild their new house. 

“Yes sir, Richard it does look like we will be in it by spring,” as he laughs watching the 20 framers help rebuild his house;.

“Richard can you give me a hand over here with these bricks?” Mr. Stringum asked looking down from his scaffolding high in the sky.

“Yes, sir what do you need me to do?”  Richard asked blocking the sun out of his eyes.

“Well son just hoist me up more mud and brick from time to time would be just fine,” Mr. Stringum pointing over there by the pile of bricks.  The men came all around to help work on the house. With all the help they figure it would only take two days to finish the fruit cellar and most the brickwork for the chimneys for the house. With a song in their heart and a whistle they would blow to work as they rolled up their sleeves, work till dusk then played and dance the night away.

* * *


Racing down the road to the next house Robert and his horse ran over the creek down through the field, with dirt and mud flying in the air with a package under his arms. He had one more to go than he was through, thinking about that five dollar bill on the counter. He was headed for the Mr. Tuckers farms he knew it well as he jumps over the guile and down through the field. He quickly sees his target on the porch, tips his hat, “Howdy Ma’am this is for you.” Then with a quick turn of the horse he heads back towards New Downing as fast as he can. His body laying flat against his horse, he feels his heart racing. The wind flying past him and his horse and him are one and the same as he leaps in the air gliding along, zig zaging left than to the right. 

Robert could see the town just up ahead. He looks up for just a moment as he passes the farm waves to his Pa and Richard working on the house then speeds faster. Leaping over and down the guile and down the other side and cross the creek. Not far behind he could see Mark and Peter then a thought pops into his mind watching them ride. “Why do I need this five dollar bill? I have everything I need,” thinking of his family and EJ and what he does have, didn't have. Robert slows back the reins on the horse just a little, so they can get ahead. After all, make them work for it not throw in the towel. As he smiles just be pretend you didn't get there first, second is always best and is not last. 

Robert waits for the moment then speed up just at the moment then as he comes around the corner down the street. Robert flies off his horse watches Mark pick up the five dollar bill right when he comes in the door. Robert sticks out his hand to congratulate him with a pat on the back for a job well done, as he looks at Mr. Rivers as he winks back. After all, friends are more important than money any old day he would have to say.

It was time to head for home with his new roommates and brothers, as they put their arms around each other shoulders wave goodbye, “se ya on Monday after school. Plus they're only allowed to work 3- 4 hours a day or less depending on the job. Because of their age, labor laws apply even here and these are nice town folk around here. They wave goodbye to the boys sending them on their way, yes sir what more could a postman and newsman ask for than friends and brothers walking down the street?

When they get back to their cottage, they go home to collect their things for the next two weeks. Robert and Will and EJ giving their Ma, sisters and three little ones a hug before leaving, after all, they are just going next door and so it won't be far. Anna and Julie with a tear in their eye will miss them all the same. As they watch the boy leave turn into young men right before their eyes. With a pillowcase in hand, the boys headed out the door go inside their little cottage close the door with a sigh. Knowing it was time to break the bonds of childhood becomes that young man. They all stepped forward towards beds nod whisper,” yes we can, let’s do it,” as they put their things away and change their clothes. 

With Robert in charge, since he was the oldest of the group, they sat at the table and made a list of all the things they needed to do. Of what and when and who on the schedule for the next two weeks they would be organized. The first thing on the list was supper, the boys all decided to help regarding this to the list. Leave most of the cooking up to the individual whose turn it was on the schedule so it would still be a team effort. 

Today it was Will's turn for his meal they thought they’d try to fix roast beef, mash potatoes, peas and carrots, hot biscuits and apple cobbler for dessert. They all started out by doing the prep like peeling the spuds and the carrots and setting the table for dinner. While Will gathers the ingredients for the biscuits and the roast. Soon there was a knock at the door it was Rena, Franks and Marks mother. “Hello, boys,” as she looks around the room smiling and finding a chair to sit on, “alright boys who's the chef today?”

“I am,” Will answers, handing her list what’s on the menu. 

She nods, “if you have any questions just ask me so I can show you ok?” She said.

“Yes Ma’am,” Will reading the recipe on how to prepare the roast. “Ma’am it says a pinch of this or some of this and handful of this. How much is a pinch and how much is a handful?” He asked.

Rena smiles get up from her chair walks over, looks at the recipe nods, opens a bag of salt and shows him, then puts the ingredients back into the bag. Sits back down and watches him do it himself as he sets the roast in the oven 350 degrees like the recipe says.

Rena smiles and nods her head watching him check it off the list. At the same time, Peter heads down towards the bathroom with towels to take a bath. She nods and watches Mark and Robert go outside with the ax to chop firewood, leaving EJ in the kitchen to help Will with supper, by setting the kettle on for the potatoes to boil. Will starts making the biscuits following the recipe. ”Looks like you made these before?” She notes.

“Yes Ma’am a couple of times,” he said.

After a few minutes, Peter comes out of the bathroom from his bath into the kitchen all nice and clean trading places with EJ in the kitchen as he goes down to the bathroom for his bath. Peter pulls out a sack of apples and begins to peel them for the apple cobbler. Will check’s on the roast taking some of the drippings for the gravy from the roast. Checks the potatoes to see if they're ready for smashing, “not quite yet” he said as he stabs them with a fork, starts to making the sauce for the cobbler and the gravy. 

EJ comes out of the bathroom joins Peter and Will in the kitchen, begins rolling out the dough for the biscuits as Mark and Robert come into the house with stacks of wood and place it in the pile with the rest. Mark heads down to the bathroom for his bath. While Robert starts a small fire in the pot belly stove for the night, placing a little bit of coal in the pot belly stove. Then comes over and washes his hands helps with the gravy and cobbler. Rena notes, “You have done this before,” she said.

“Yes Ma’am a couple of times,” Robert replied.

Soon Mark comes out to join the boys checking the list, tasting the gravy, helping EJ mashing the potatoes. Robert heads on down to the bathroom to take his bath before super. Will pulls out the roast to cool and puts in the biscuits and the cobbler while tasting the gravy adding little salt and pepper, as he checks it off the list as Mark, EJ, and Peter clean up the kitchen and finish setting the table. Soon Robert comes out to join them and Will goes down passing the hat and nods to Robert. Robert puts the roast on a platter and on the table the boys begin putting the food on the table, setting the biscuits and the cobbler to cool on the counter. Soon Will comes out fresh and clean like the rest of the boys joining all his roommates and buddies at the table. “We knew you boys could do it.” Rena said looking at this fine meal, “do you mind if I join you, boys?” She asked.

“No Ma’am we'd be honored,” as they set her a place at the table. Will stands up like Pa, Robert and EJ smile. “I would like to make a toast to our friends and our guest. May we always be our friends forever and our feeling for you never change. May you always feel welcome in our little cottage.” Then Will sits down grinning Robert and EJ smile and pats him on the back for a job well done.

The boys ate well that night sharing their meal with Mrs. Whitmore discussing what they did today and the people they met along the way. They shared some of their adventures with their new roommates from the lumber mill and the sheep ranch. After dessert she excused herself thanked them for a lovely evening. Let’s her boys walk her home next door to say goodnight giving the Sheriff's boys a nod and a wink to her husband.

She gently kissed them on the cheek whispered in their ear how proud she was of them and wished them a good night. “Thanks, Ma,” as they kissed her back with a hug and watched her go through the door; they could almost hear her sigh. Mark and Frank returned back to their cottage helping their roommates clear the table finish up doing the dishes.

While Robert adds some more wood and another piece of coal to the pot belly stove for the night. After everything was put away for the night the boys were worn out from the day, knew that need to get up early so they could all help work on the house. But now they also had to take care of themselves first, which would mean preparing breakfast and lunch. The hard part will be getting up in the morning without their alarm clock.

“Robert I miss Mr. Rooster do think we could build a pin outside for him near us tomorrow,” EJ asked.

“Heck, why didn't ya say that in the first place EJ?” Robert jumping down from his bed, “let’s go get him now, it shouldn't take more than an hour or so to move him right next to our window, Pa would love it… it will make them feel more like home.” Of course, the thought accrued to him if Mr. Rooster pin was blocking the window nobody could spy on EJ or them.


© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

63 Views
Added on February 14, 2019
Last Updated on January 18, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep