Chapter 14-3

Chapter 14-3

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 14-3


Pa drops the boys off at their cottage with Ma and three little ones Danny, Sam, and Ted. “Julie, Anna do you mind taking the boys and giving them their baths before supper? Then can bring them right on over when they're ready.” Ma asked. “Richard I believe we are going to need both tables and bring the extra chairs with you and your boy's can help with those,” Ma replies as she helps get things organized. “Now then,” as she put her arm around the boys, “shall we I believe we have work to do. If I am guessing right EJ it’s your turn, am I right?” EJ slowly nods his head yes and opens the door lets her in as the boys follow right behind him. With a pat on his back they washed their hands first. Then finding her a chair, hands her the menu they have all discussed as she nods and smiles back at them.


For tonight's menu Bart's meatloaf, mash potatoes with a hint of garlic and onion, mustard greens and sweat bails rolls and for desert Ma's peach pie alamode with fresh cream. Robert and the boys gathered all the ingredients while EJ puts on the hat and the apron.  He pulls out the recipes from the box and the boy's start doing the prep work with loud thunders-us clap “YAH! YAH!  TIMBER!” Nearly knocking Ma right out of her chair,


“What was that?” She replied.


Turning around the room Mark and Peter grabbed the ax after starting a fire in a pot belly stove, adding a little coal. Head outside to chop some more wood for tonight, leaving Will, Robert, EJ, and Frank in the kitchen. “No, wait?” As she rubs her eyes Franks just gave Robert a pat than heads down the hall with towels, leaving Robert and Will to set the table. I can not believe my eyes, yes the kettles on the fire cooking potatoes. Man, that was fast. Swish rat, tat, rat, rat, tat, tat, “Swish” goes the knife in EJ hands, Ma rubbing her eyes watching EJ working the kitchen using a knife, “that can't be?”


Soon Frank comes out of the bathroom all nice and clean and joins EJ in the kitchen. Robert pats Will on the back and Will heads down the hall, Ma rubbing her eyes, “are these the same boy's?” EJ passed the meat over too Frank “Swish” and he mixes it one more time, then puts into pans. While EJ starts making the dough for the bread and stubs the potatoes with a fork. “Nope,” shaking his head, “not done yet.” Mark and Peter come through the door placing the wood down in the pile and adding some more to the fire and more coal. Then helps Richard with the table and chairs.


EJ adds little basil to the dough placing a cloth over it, putting it by the stove, tossing the meat in the oven at 350 degrees like an old pro. Ma rubbing her eyes as Will comes out and joins the boys setting up the table and chairs.


Will pats Robert on the back and he heads on down to the bathroom for his bath. Ma is just bewildered as she watches the boys.  Will tossing the tablecloth making aloud "snap" as she jumps off her chair as he smiles. “Sorry, Ma,” laughing tying the corners down at the side. Frank washed his hands at the sink in the kitchen helps set the table with Will. As Peter and Richard come in with the last of the chairs, Just when Robert comes out fresh and clean. He pats Mark on the back and he heads down to the bathroom for his bath as Robert takes the dough and starts rolling it into balls, placing it onto a pan, leaving Will and Peter to set the table while Richard watches them. Wondering what the heck is happening?


Martha whispering and shrugging her shoulders trying to keep up. Soon Pa and the girls with the three little ones knock on the door as Richard opens it lets them in. Not disturbing the boys and their work. “Wayne you got to see this,” Martha replied as she whispers over to him as he pulls up a chair next to her rubbing her eyes in disbelief. As another boy, Mark comes out to join the boys in the kitchen and pats Peter on the back. He heads on down to the bathroom for his bath as Pa, Ma girls and Richard watched him and the kitchen in disbelief.


Julie whispers. “What's going on Ma?” watching the boys in the kitchen and one down the hall. “Dinner, bath time and chores I guess?” As she shrugged her shoulders, another knock at the door, Pa opened the door it finding it was Franks and Mark’s parents coming for supper. As Pa lets them in, they watched EJ take some of the dripping out of the oven for the gravy putting it into a pan. Soon Peter’s back from his trip down the hall and all nice and clean joining the boys in the kitchen.


EJ pulling the meatloaf out of the oven too cool, setting the rolls in the oven, handing the recipe over to Robert for Ma's peach pie and the hat and the apron. EJ heads on down the hall for his bath. Robert pats him on the back as he leaves, grabs the potatoes and drains them, hands them to Peter to mash them and put them into a bowl. Mark starts whipping the cream, while Frank finishes setting the table and puts some more wood in the pot belly stove with a little more coal.


Robert makes the gravy and the pie crust as EJ comes out from down the hall. EJ pats everyone on the back as they all yell, “TIMBER! YAH! YAH!.” Patting their hands together, slapping their knees, which made the ground shake beneath them, making Pa, Richard and sisters and three little one laugh at the sight. Ma's and Kollie eyes pop right out of there heads at the boys, thinking they have lost their minds. EJ puts back on the apron and the hat, slicing up the peaches for the pie, tasting the gravy, adding little this and little of that, while Robert makes the sauce for the pies.


EJ pulls out the rolls too cool and the boys put things on platters and in bowls putting them on the table. Then they start cleaning up the kitchen and doing up the dishes, wiping down the kitchen. While EJ sets the pies in the oven. Sprinkling little sugar and cinnamon on top and buttering the tops of the rolls, with sweet basil butter sauce like Pas. Pulling out the Ice cream to soften a bit as they finish up the table, adding few flowers for each their Ma’s in the middle with daisy from the flower store down the street. And roses for the girls and few gifts for the boys from the toy store and one for each of their Pa's as well.


They had made special with help from their aunts. EJ pulls the pies out of the oven setting them on the counter too cool. While all the boys finish up tiding up the kitchen, washing their hands gathering around the table. Hanging up the apron and the hat, EJ finds his place at the table next to his brothers and friends.


EJ clicking on his glass he stands gives the toast tonight. “To our honored guests and friends and family, we welcome you to our home and our table. May our meal provide the fullness of bounty and conversations be delightful,” then raised his glass before sitting down. Pa, Ma, and sisters were utterly shock as they looked at the boys and the table. It nearly did Ma in when she tasted Bart’s meatloaf.


She had three slices and the rolls, looking over at Pa. Yes sir they were going have a serious talk about recipes while eating her forth roll and burps “Oh my.” As the little ones laugh. “I can't believe I ate the whole thing,” she replied as she giggled blushing red while looking at her boys?


They talked about this and that and of the new house. Then Pa clears his throat,” thinking of the new house dear,” pondering twiddling his thumbs a bit.  “Why don't you and girls go down to the cotton field with Aunty M for the week and see what it is all about? Pa said.


“What about Sam and Ted? I couldn't just leave them?” Ma replied.


“Sure you can, they'll be just fine. Richard and the aunts can watch them and Grandma from time to time,” he replied “Then it’s settled I'll all make the arrangements and heck well even send Rena with you as well. She'd loved to go, wouldn't she boy's?” Wayne and Kollie gazed over at Frank and Mark.


 “Yes sir,” the boys all replied.


“You got to be kidding?” Rena shocked staring at her husband smiling like a chaser cat and the boys as they all shake their head no he wasn't kidding.


“What about EJ, Wayne? He is supposed to start school tomorrow and Danny has to go back as well,” Ma replied.


“Not a problem, I can take him to school get them all registered and stuff and Danny too. So stop fretting Martha you got a trip to go on,” smiling. “You and the girls are going to have a good time; we menfolk will be just fine. Now then that peach pie smells really good,” Pa said.


The women thinking as they always do their up to something and they are most likely right, you just don't know their men and boy's as she sighs “alright.” She shook her fingers, giving them all mothers warning and giving them each a kiss on the cheek and a hug and special one for EJ, and telling him not to get into any trouble while she's gone.


“I promise Ma,” he said tries not to look sheepish and smiles as she rubbed his head and sighs.


After dessert the boys handed out their surprises, handing them each a small gift, a new bag of marbles and tops for the three little ones and some hairpins and ribbons for the two girls. The mothers each got a pair of sheepskin mittens to keep them warm and a scarf. Both Pa's received new winter coats lined with wool and pair of sheepskin mittens from the boys. After a few more hugs and kiss from everyone, showing their presents they left gleefully out the door.


Ma and Rena couldn't resist tucking the boys into bed with a goodnight kiss at least a couple of times, before leaving the cottage for home. Of course, they didn't mind at all as they fell fast asleep in their bunks with brothers and friends with Mr. Rooster by their window side.


While girls and Ma put the three little ones to bed and packed. Wayne visited Aunty M at her cottage across the way, setting up the details for the girl's trip to the cotton fields. “Oh Wayne that's a wonderful idea, that would be a nice surprise, I'll take care of everything” gives him a wink. “And don’t worry about a thing I am sure he’ll be alright.”


Wayne heads down to the Sheriffs Office picking up the rosters for tomorrow and walking down to the paper office to pick up the flyers. “Hello, Mr. Grams,” watching him lock his doors for the night.


“Sorry Sheriff Downing, you are too late, the boys picked them up and have orders to deliver them at first light as the rooster crows. That was 500 right? Counting all tents down at Downing Villa the last count. Yes, sir, it’s going to be ruckus come morning both Docs are down at Cracken tonight, with a full staff I hear. Last I looked wagons where heading this way,” Mr. Grams replied.


“Now?” Wayne asked.


“Yes, sir.” Mr. Grams said “why wait, they're calling them in, setting them up at the dance hall for the night. The first group will be here in a couple of hours I reckon,” as he looked down the road.


“Oh Mayor said he wanted to se ya, there's a package at your house. I left it inside since you weren't home, said it was very important. Well, I need to get for home Sheriff the misses will be wondering where I am, see ya tommra and no not a sign of anyone strange? But we will keep both our eyes open,” he replied.


Wayne looks around the town rubbing the back of his neck, rolled his eyes, feeling the weight and the pressure. Realizing he has been away from his job too long, its time to get organized and quick or things or going fall apart quickly. He needs his Deputies by his side and fast, the question is where to start? Wayne pacing the ground pondering for the answer then an idea pops into his head "Richard and Robert are at home, home is where I should start. Why I didn't think of that before?”


Wayne ran toward the cottage as quick as he can opening the door into Richards's room tossing him his overalls. “What's up, sir?” As Pa sits on the bed tries to explain. “They want too? Now?” He replied.


Wayne nods his head, “and we need to find our Deputies and fast before all goes south quick.” Richard jumps out of bed, jumps into his clothes heads out the door. “I’ll get the wagon while you wake Robert; I think I know where Ned and Bill are.” Richard dashed out of the house. “Oh, Wayne this came for you,” tossing it to him as went out the door.


Martha seeing Wayne in the hallway hearing Richard leave out the front door. “What's going on dear?” She asked.


“Nothing dear, just go back to sleep, I'll be in a little while. I have some business to take care of that's all dear… Yes, he’s fine and no not sign of the stranger,” he replied. 
Wayne tucked the package under his arm leaving out the door to go wake, Robert. Pa walked into the cottage listening to them all softly snoring away. He tipped toes softly over to Robert’s bed and giving him a soft nudge. Robert jerks off the bed, Pa whispering “sorry son I need you tonight,” handing him his overalls. “We have work to do I'll explain when we are outside.”


Yes Pa,” Robert said rubbing the sleep out of his eyes looking over at EJ sleeping soundly. Robert quickly dresses putting his shoes on outside, while Pa explains to Robert, Robert shakes his head. “Man alive Pa what a mess,” as Richard pulls up with the wagon. The three of them head back to the farm where Ned and Bill are, hoping they knew where Chris and Brad are? With a final glance at the boys watching the boy’s cottage and theirs, he nods to them.


With a flick of the wrist, they all hang on tight while Richard drives and the horses galloped towards the farm. Wayne opens the package sent by the Mayor. Wayne's eyes pop out of his head with two more deeds 600 acres of land from Mr. Grasin and Ms. Larson who died last summer and had written this letter.


Dear Wayne Downing and Family. Thank you for being so kind to us

helping our farmer friends when the need arises. Please accept this small gift too build more or use for more farmer folk just like us. Hope to be seeing you next year on our wedden day.


Mr. Grasin and Ms. Larson


Ps. told by a friend, for you to be where of Morgan, he could be in the area.


Wayne show's the boy's the letter and the deeds with bewilderment in their eyes looking towards the fields and back towards town whistling. “Wholly cow Pa 600 acres, who’s Morgan Pa?” Robert replied as he stares down at the letter.


Pa tucked the deeds back into the envelope inside his deepest pocket. Shakes his head.” I have no idea boys,” he replied. “But I have a bad feeling we will soon enough.”


The boy's reached the farm finding Ned and Bill inside the hayloft fast asleep. The boy's quickly wake them explain what's going on. “You got to be joking?” As they looked outside the loft towards Cracken, laughing “ya we know where Brad and Chris are,” shaken their heads. “They got hitched when you were away,” slapping their knees. “So it just us now,” jumping into their clothes putting on their boots.


Sheriff Downing had his Deputies again well most of them as he reformed his posse heading towards Cracken. To find what all the fuss was all about, finding both Docs and a midwife and herd of nurses in a tent down in the square. Lined up with wagons and tents all heading to New Downing full steam ahead. “Woe where's the fire, Sheriff Whitmore?” Wayne said looking down towards the line, “you said we weren't ready yet,” seeing at least 150 people at least crowding the line. “Heck, the lumber won't be here for at least one or two days. They need time to get packed and moved, looked over then settled in. We just can move a tree say grow, we got to water it some give it sunshine,” Wayne replied.


“Oh they have had plenty sunshine Sheriff Downing,” Sheriff Whitmore eyeing the group, “the boys have found homes for everyone here. They have been knocking on the doors all afternoon long and Mayor said to bring them all in as quick as we can. So you boys can stop gawking give us a hand because were coming and we got lots of work to do,” Sheriff Whitmore replied.  Sheriff Downing and his boys shrugged their shoulders and rolled up their sleeves.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

59 Views
Added on February 14, 2019
Last Updated on January 18, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep