Chapter 16

Chapter 16

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 16


The sun peeked early over the mountains as Mr. Rooster crows “C**k a Doodle Do” what a wondrous sound he makes to some, but to others as they sprawl out of bed onto the floor. Frank still hits the ceiling and the neighbors next door “What was that?” sprawled on the floor. Mark laughs at his Pa on the floor as Mr. Rooster goes “C**k a Doodle Do.” The boys quickly dress went into the kitchen to prepare breakfast it was Frank turn this morning as they plan the menu. French toast, bacon, scrambled eggs and Orange juice with milk, served with cran-apple muffins.


Something easy that doesn’t take a lot of time as they all agreed due to school. Frank puts on the hat and the apron taking charge of the kitchen while Mr. Downing and Mr. Whitmore both supervised. The boys did one steady loud clap in the air then things started to happen all at once as their Pa's watch them with amazement. EJ and Will gathered the ingredients and the recipes needed, while Mark and Robert begin to set the table. Peter started a fire in the pot belly stove to take the chill off the cottage by adding a little coal.


Frank mixes the eggs adding milk, cinnamon, nutmeg with a hint of vanilla handing it to Robert to dip the bread, placing into the skillet. EJ squeezes the orange juice like he has done many times before, while Peter comes over and washed his hands. Mark and Will finish setting up the table and help Frank with the bacon and the muffins while he cooks the eggs and finished the French toast. EJ helps with syrup and the butter sets them on the table. Frank quickly puts the muffins in the oven at 400 degrees as the recipe says.


The boys put the rest of the food onto the table, pulling the muffins on a plate to cool on the table. They all hurry and do up the dishes and wiped down the counter in the kitchen and added a little more coal to the fire, washed their hands. Frank hangs up the hat and the apron, gathering around the table Frank giving the toast.


“I welcome you all to the table let’s eat for we all have a lot to do,” smiles and sits down next to his brother Mark and his friend Peter patting him on the back for a job well done. They hurried and ate their breakfast and cleared the table finished doing the dishes got ready for school.


The boys gathered their school books and class schedules noting they had most their class together this year and there was just a couple they did not have together. English and PE, as they waited for the school bus to take them to school, EJ always hated this part about going to school because he was always on the last stop when there was no place's left to sit. Coming home wasn't much better if you could call it a home, I guess some people might, the yelling the screaming and the other things.


Of course, EJ would walk home just to stretch the time. Give an excuse he missed the bus or had to stay after school. It wasn't far just from Payson Jr. too Santaquin along the old back road. He did it all the time, used take him 45 min if he was in hurry to an hour or an hour half. If he stopped at spring lake to take a nap, maybe two hours or longer during warm summer days, for a quick dip in the pond. He hated going home. Yet today things have changed and he had a new home now. a family that loves him and new stop beside, as he gets on the bus head for school, seating next to his brothers Will, Robert and his friends Mark, Frank, and Peter.


First class was music according to their schedule, two hours with Mr. Jaydan Faith. “Hello boys,” he said with a smile having them stand around the piano handing them each folder with music in it. “Now then we just need to find a place for you,” Mr. Faith said looking at the group of kids in the room.


Taking their turns by the piano they sang their pitches on the keys up and down the keyboard. Robert. Frank was a tenor, EJ was still a soprano with Peter and Will. Mark was baritone. They were known as barbershop quartette as he smiled put their names down on piece paper for something later with a twinkle in his eyes.


Then it happened, the part EJ always hated, roll call standing up answering if he was here or not. “EJ Stuart,” knowing there must have been a mistake when we signed up for school. EJ looks at his brothers and sat there as they looked at the teacher calling his name again.  Then they stood with him before he could udder a word. Robert corrects him, “Mr. Faith that’s EJ Downing, not Stuart and his my brother,” he said.


“And mine too,” says Will.


“I see,” he replied looking at EJ and EJ nods his head yes and sat down with everyone whispering in the room around him with Robert and Will giving them each a hard cold stare. Mr. Faith making a note scratched Stuart off the list writing down Downing beside his name with a smile. Then taping the music stand with his wand too bring the class back to order begins warm-ups and resumes class.


The day pretty much continued on that day from class to class with friends and brothers. Just a couple of problems with bullies, but that didn't last long. Not with his friends and brothers by your side, they soon got the message that he was to be left alone.......



* * *

 


“Well girls after breakfast I think we need to go into Phoenix and do a little shopping and I need to send off a telegram. Reggie, do you mind if we tag along with you when you take the children to school today?” Aunty M asked.


“No not at all,” he said as the ladies quickly changed their clothes and met the kids and Reggie downstairs and were off to Salina Middle school then to Phoenix. They could see the neighboring cotton farms as the wind blew the cotton into the wind like a little snow storm. When they reached Phoenix Aunty M stopped at the telegram office to send off her telegram.


Wayne staying for two weeks possible three instead of one… Stop

Send some boys quick this way... Stop

15 boys would be nice and their wives if they have any... Stop

Send them to Salt Lake City airport... Stop

    Send a reply back to how many and when ... Stop

Watch out for Morgan... Stop

         Aunty M and girls ... Stop


“I need this sent immediately,” she said to the telegram officer. “In fact, I'll wait here for a reply back,” as she wrings her hands.


“Yes, Ma’am.” The telegram officer went into the next room; the next thing you hear is tap, tap of the telegram wire. After a few minutes and a couple of cups of Joe, he was back with a reply. “It has been sent and on its way,” he said.  She pays the man with a tip and thanks him for his time and hospitality. “Alright girls let’s go shopping and Reggie can show us the sights of this here town”…



* * *

 


Mr. Rivers receives the telegram; the boys are still in school as he glanced at the clock. It’s up to him too delivering it like in the old days, unless he can find Ned, but their all up at the farm. He hangs his sign out to lunch with a note to go see his friend Mr. Grams as he went over handing him the keys to the post office heads for the stables for a horse. 


Mr. Rivers raced to the farm with the telegram in hand as fast as he can, bouncing up and down in his saddle down the road; “ouch Uh ouch,” Up down the road groaning. He’s not as young as he used to be, “ouch UH, ouch UH,” Up and over the guile through the field seeing the farm and the men working on the house as well, Mr. Rivers looking for Mr. Downing. “There he is over there by the plans with Mr. Stringum, man that is a huge house.” He climbs down from the horse rubbing his backside and working the kinks out of his back. Walks over to Mr. Downing and hands him the telegram and watches the men work on the house while catching his breath. 



Wayne staying for two weeks possible three instead of one… Stop

Send some boys quick this way... Stop

15 boys would nice and their wives if they have any... Stop

Send them to Salt Lake City airport... Stop

Send a reply back to how many and when ... Stop

Watch out for. Morgan... Stop

        Aunty M and girls ... Stop


Wayne looks at the plans and house. “You are right Mr. Stringum there is no way around it. You say, it is going to take at least a week for them to wire the house before the Sheetrock arrives and we have to have it inspected,” and sighs. “Just have them build me this while we wait.” Wayne said pulled out the plan chicken, “and this add-on for the cottage. Since according to this, looking at this here telegram they won't be back for two weeks or possible three. That means I could build this,” he again replies pulling out this design for the table for Martha, “and do little shopping of my own, if you know what I mean?” Said rubbing his chin, looking over at Mr. Rivers.


They both head for the stables with his horse and add his to the wagon in the barn takes him back to town with a small gentle flick of the wrist. Why hurry as he puts his thoughts together thinking of his wife and daughters down in Phoenix Arizona their probably having a good time and takes his time.


It's going to take time to find men for this SOS Wayne turning towards Mr. Rivers. “Do have any ideas, my friend, how I'm going to find 15 able bodies to move clear down to Arizona in a few days? I barely filled the roster for the lumber and the sheep ranch their leaving today. There is plenty of work around here for them to do, but moving clear out there that's tough.” Wayne replies pulling into town dropping him off at the Post Office.


Mr. Grams waiting for him with a basket of letters and packages hands him back his keys. “You can always try the paper,” Mr. Grams said and shrugged his shoulders “put in the want adds who knows, post signs some down in Cracken and around here in the window and I’ll spread the word.”


“That's a great idea, thanks Mr. Rivers,” Wayne said gives him a nod. Mr. Rivers taking the basket with letters and packages reopens his shop. Wayne went into The Paper office does exactly as Mr. Rivers said, “Mr. Grams I need to place an ad in the want adds for some help. I need men and their wives if they have them or not, that are willing to move to Arizona to work on a cotton field. I also need posters made so I can place them all over town,” he said.


Wayne handing him a ten-dollar bill for his help, but he just passed it back with a smile and laughs. Wayne looks at him in shock like he fell out of a tree. “You know your money no good around here,” he replied as he rolled his eyes. “Your order will be ready,” looking at the clock, “in one hour for the poster and I’ll have the other in the paper this afternoon.” and shoos him out the door. Wayne puts the wagon away at the stables trades it for his horse heads for the train station to sign for his lumber and see the men off to the lumber mill and the sheep ranch to thank them, see them off until the snow hits and they come down for the winter.


Mr. Grams was true to his word when Mr. Downing came by for his order, in fact, he was already printing the addition to the paper on the front page and the want ads of the paper the headline reads “SOS Arizona cotton field needs help.” When Wayne Downing walked in the door to pick up his order, “here you go Mr. Downing 100 copies,” as Mr. Grams placed one in his winder. “Thanks,” as he nods and picks them up walks out the door with them under his arm.


Wayne walked up down the street of New Downing asking the shopkeepers if they would place them in their windows fronts. “Yes, sir be glad to,” as they smile then nodding their heads with a grin, “and will pass the word too… Just remember to keep your porch light on,” as they smiled one after another.


After making the full rounds around the square he jumps on his horse heads on down to Cracken to post some down there. Then an idea popped into his head. Why not open newsstand down here and a small post office at the same time. Heck, why not open a newsstand in New Downing to with magazines for recipes for the womenfolk and farm work, carpenters for the men and comic books for the kids. Ideas like these sometimes pop into his head a lot, stopping him dead in his tracks as he writes them on the back of a poster a design for a new stand for Cracken and small post office right next door, placed into his pocket as new plans for a News Stand and Letter Office.


Mr. Downing posted his remaining posters up then heads back to the farm; seeing nobody there except for the men for the electrician and sewer and water. He heads on back to New Downing to talk to Mr. Grams and Rivers about his idea. After all, why build something their not going to use. “Hello Mr. Grams, Mr. Rivers;” as he took a seat outside on the stools waiting for the boys to come back from school. “Mind if I sit with you for a spell,” as he smiles like chaser cat pulling out his plans?


“No not all, just waiting for the boys that's all, business kinda slow today we have few minutes so what's on you are mind.” Wayne shows his plans for the newsstand and small post office for Cracken watching their face gleam and mind turning.”


“I was thinking of building two newsstands or three… Two right here in New Downing and one in Cracken and a small post office right next door. The newsstands would sell newspapers, magazines of all types and comic books for the kid's maybe candy that's up to you of course. I'll set up a roster you pick who you want to run them. Just think of all extra money you could make if had these open plus; kids selling papers after school.” Wayne replied.


“The town's people could benefit from it as well having the news all day long and you would have the help you need every day. Because we're growing bigger and bigger,” he said showing them a copy of the new deeds he just received. “Someone was talking about donating a brickyard for a spot of land down here he wants to move from Goshen to out here if I can accommodate him and believe I can looking at this here deed.”


“By golly, Mr. Grams,” slapping his knees “let’s do it, you find me the help and we will print a morning and evening paper and go on from there,” He said.


Mr. Rivers said. “Cracken you say? Well me too I’m still can't work those kinks out my back,” Mr. Rivers laughed, “from delivering that telegram.” They all shook hands on the deal and waved goodbye as Wayne heads back to the stables putting his horse away for the day heads on back to the cottage.


When gets there, the men have been busy, and are still there making the changes to the house. Making it bigger, adding on to the boys and the girl's rooms and the chicken pin and rooster pin is nearly done. “Man you boys work fast,” Wayne said looking around the back.


Mr. Stringum laughed. “I' m glad you like it. The chickens will be pleased and the rooster and the chickens will be here this afternoon in about.” looking at his watch, “hour and a half.”


“The question is the bunk beds and mattress for the boys. Mr. Stringum I need one more bunk bed and an order of two more mattresses since I have two weeks and possibly three before the girls come back.”


Mr. Stringum laughs shaking his head, “that's all, one bank bed coming right up,” putting on the list to have it done and installed in a couple of hours, “right boys?”


“Yes, sir.” Then takes out the not pad writes an order of three, not two just in case.


Wayne went back inside the house making a list of things they will need from the store, realizing that they are going to have to go clear to Salt Lake City to the major appliances and furniture stores to get what they need. It wouldn't hurt to sell few cattle and sheepskin, and things to trade making some extra money for the things for the house.

Thumbing through his note pad he finds the plan table and chairs he seen at the sheep ranch. Pulling out the plans thinking he has just enough lumber stored to build the table and chairs with the boy's help.


Mr. Whitmore pulled up in the car in front of the cottage wearing his Doctor clothes opening the door seeing Wayne at the table nearly startling him. “Sorry Wayne, are the boy's home yet?” He asked with a gloomy face and agitated voice.


“No, they should be any moment, now what's wrong?” Wayne asked.


Kollie pacing up down the floor looked at his watch. “Its Peter's grandmother, she dying. I just got out of surgery a half hour ago, she just had a major heart attack and ruptured her heart, most likely won’t last the night,” he said.


The boys come home from school seeing their Pa's sitting at the table waiting for them impatiently and Mr. Whitmore trying to find a way to break the news to Peter as gently as he can. Finding there was no easy way, but just to tell him the truth, holding him close to him like he was his own son. He was in a way; at least that's how they felt about him ever since his parents died when he was 3.


He has been living with his grandmother ever since. Mr. Whitmore, Peter, Mark and Frank headed back to the hospital. Wayne went out back asked for a few volunteers today to take the boys place so they don't leave Mr. Grams or Mr. Rivers shorthanded giving Mr. Stringum plans too build the newsstands and the Post Office and to ask Mr. Rivers and Mr. Grams where they want them. Pa takes the boys, stopping at News Paper and Post Office telling them that help is on the way and to excuse the boy that they have emergency will back tomorrow he hopes. Pa and the boys all headed for the hospital to be with their friends where they feel they are needed most.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

56 Views
Added on February 14, 2019
Last Updated on January 18, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep