Chapter 16-2

Chapter 16-2

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 16-2


The following morning after breakfast with fresh eggs from the chickens with a new c**k doodle do times two. Things started to happen pretty fast with a knock on the door; there was a line of people signing their names on the dotted line. They were asking to speak with Mr. Downing regarding work for the cotton fields and newsstands. It seems the word was out as they were clamoring at the door.


Sheriff Whitmore put up a table outside with a roster's, one for the newsstands one for the cotton field and one for any young en’s that want to sign up for Newspaper boys and Post boys. It was a frantic, but organized bunch as they all signed the rosters for the jobs. Mr. Downing handed a slip of paper to meet with Mr. Grams or Mr. Rivers for those jobs and ones for the cotton field to meet… rubbing his chin at the response for a meeting with him in an hour at the square to get a head count and have a quick briefing. What is required of them, making sure they really wanted to go? After all, it is a long way and he needed a firm commitment from them.


Soon the line died down to a trickle. Sheriff Whitmore gathered the rest of the names while Wayne headed off to the meeting sending the boys off to the farm to work on some projects he assigned them. So they could start gathering and making a list of things they need to can sell for trade; handing Robert a pad and pencil to count the inventory to take up to Santaquin and Payson, while he holds the meeting in the square. Then meet him back in two hours at the Square.



* * *

 


Grandma got a note from the Doc and the hospital then drove up to Payson Jr. “Hello I would like to see the principle please,” she said.


“Yes, Ma’am. Can I ask what's this all about Ma’am?” The principal asked.


“Yes, I need to excuse these boys from school,” Grandma said handing a list of names with the reason. Grandma hands them the note signed by the Doctor and the hospital.


“I see, the law states that only family members are excused for this.” The principal said handing the note back to her, “they will be counted as absent if they don't attend school. I am sorry Ma’am,” he said.


“You got to be kidding they were all very close and you tell me they have to go school regardless?” Grandma replied with a stern voice.


“Yes Ma’am that are the rules, I don't make them. Excuse me, but I have work to do,” and shows her the door. Grandma stares at the closed door almost wanting to tear it down. Knowing it would do no good leaving in a huff and returns to New Downing find Mr. Whitmore and Mr. Downing, but not before striking some sort of deal, after picking up the rest of the week's assignments and after making deals with their teachers for the boys. After all, there's more than one way to skin a cat or beat an old rug or a principal clinching her fist. If the work got done that's all that matters, they would consider it let them have the rest of the week off, each of the teachers said.


Grandma takes the homework back to the cottage. Finds Lizzy and Mary telling them what the school said and agreement she worked out among the teachers. They said they would help them get them ready so they would keep this so-called agreement even thou it seemed it was unfair looking at the amount of work, doubling the homework looked like it to them as they shake their heads. Grambling a few words themselves as they look towards the school.



* * *

 


Wayne counts the heads in the group and comes up short by four as he tells them what is expected and when they like them ready to leave. Tomorrow or the next day at the latest they all agreed on the next afternoon. Wayne passed around a contract, they all signed it willingly as they headed back to pack and to prepare to leave. The boys standing and waited for him as the last person signed the agreement.


Wayne sighs, “alright boys what's the damage?” As Robert hands him the list of inventory they can sell and things they can make. Wayne adds them up at the bottom then looks at his boys. “Yes sir we got ourselves a heap of work to do boys,” he said looking at the total on the inventory and sighs. “Well let’s get cracken,” rubbing his hands putting the list away, putting his arms around his boys, “let get too work.”


Picking up the contracts putting them into a folder, placing them under his arm, they all head down to the telegram office. To meet with Mr. Rivers and Mr. Grams, “Hello boys,” as they try not to look downcast giving their notice. Wayne hands Mr. Rivers the roster for the help for the post office as the boys give their notice Robert said being the oldest of all the boys. “Mr. Rivers our Pa's needs us at home right now so we can't work for you, but he says we can work for you for the next couple of days or until you find someone to replace us, but we will be back next summer if you would like, that is if you still want us,” he asked.


Mr. Rivers already knows the reason why and tries to brighten their day putting his hand on each of their shoulders. “Thanks, boys, thanks for telling me in person. Of course, you can work for me next summer.” He said as he pulled out their cash they earned for the week plus a bonus twenty dollars each taking the roster from Wayne. “Thanks for the help. In fact I hired all the help I needed,” looking at the roster hanging it on the wall, “but I still need these boys to run telegrams every once in a while and help me set up that Post Office,” he said as he smiled, “and clerks inside to watch the store for today at least while I get things set up,” he replied.


The boys smile, “yes sir.”


Pa said. “Well boys sounds like you got work to do this afternoon,” he said shaking his hand “I'll have them ready by two o’clock. Now then I have a telegram of my own to send as he smiles.


Aunty M... Stop

Help is on its way... Stop

11 good men and wives... Stop

Will leave for Salt Lake City Wednesday midday... Stop

Wayne... Stop


Gives him the address on the telegram where he wants it to go and thanks to Mr. Rivers and shakes his hand placing a five dollar bill on the counter. “Wayne you know your money is no good here,” he passes it back. Wayne shakes his head taking the boys next door to see Mr. Grams with the same results as before. “Well see you boys at two o'clock you can help me print and stock the new stands, boys.” Mr. Grams pays them twenty dollars each for the week plus a ten dollar bonus.


Mr. Downing pulls out his list checks off the things he needs to do for the day and puts a check mark by what has been done. “Alright boys let’s say we go get some work done and head back to the cottage to the pickup and load up the wagon from the stable, let’s find the aunts to watch Sam and Ted.” When the boys return they find Grandma was just leaving on her way to find them with a sort of a discouraged look on her face.


Wayne, boys I was just coming to find you,” Grandma said looking downcast. “It wasn't easy,” shaking her head looking towards the school. “I made a deal you might say with the devil you would say,” pointing to the Lizzy and Mary at the pile of homework in her hands. Tells them what the school said and the deal she made with the teachers, they understood not happy about the work either.


“Not to worry boys will help you through it,” Aunt Lizzy said. The boys nodded and thank them for their kindness gives them each a big hug and a kiss on the cheek. “Wayne I want these boys home, at 2:00 o'clock every day, so we can get started,” pointing at the homework, Wayne tells them they can't today they will be working for Mr. Grams and Mr. Rivers. “Alright Then 8 o'clock in the morning every day right after breakfast,” folding their arms staring him down, daring him to say no.


The boys and Pa shake on the deal and make a promise they will be ready and won't let them down. Wayne asks the aunts to watch the boys while he and the boys head to the farm to load up the pickup for trade. Leaving Robert at the farm and Whitmore boys there with Richard at the farm too headed on over to the sheep farm with the wagon. With the Whitmore boys were they will load up the fleece, too take over to Mr. Stringum's Hardware and goods in New Downing to trade, while leaving Robert to work on projects, finishing them up to trade.


Mr. Whitmore was busy himself making the funeral arrangements for Peter s grandmother and down at the courthouse filling out documents for Peter and land agreement transfers legal mumble, jumble according to Judge Parker and his boys making sure things went smoothly stamping and signing this document and that. “Now then have you told Rena yet because you have to have her signature as well?” Judge pointing to the line on the document.


“Not yet, she out of town at the moment Judge why?” He asked.


“Because according to the law you have three days after the funeral before the child services get involved,” he said.


“I see, but she clears out in Arizona,” Kollie replied,


“Then I suggest you hurry then son,” he said putting the last stamp and date on the document. Then making a copy for himself and placing them in a folder hands him a copy to have signed by his wife. Mr. Whitmore heads on back to the cottage hoping to find Mr. Downing too figure out a solution to his problem not finding anyone there except a note.


Be back soon, going to town to trade, boys are at the sheep farm Wayne and the boys.



* * *

 


Pa, Will, and EJ were on their way to Santaquin to trade when the telegrams reach Aunty M at the cotton field.

Aunty M... Stop

Help is on its way... Stop

11 good men and wives... Stop

Will leave for Salt Lake City Wednesday midday... Stop

Wayne… Stop

 


Aunty M sighs with relief when she open's the telegram reads it to her son Reggie as they both do a jig on the porch steps singing and dancing right in front of telegram boy. Reggie pulls out a tip hand to him sends him on his way. “Son looks like we got company coming,” his Ma said with a smile. “Let’s have ourselves a home ho down and another when they get here to welcome them,” as she kicks up her heels, grabs the jug for quick swallow. Martha and the girls laugh.


Things around the place started to happen fast, Aunty M on the phone calling up her kids and grandchildren, Reggie making arrangements at the airport for a co-pilot setting up a plane to be ready when he lands, Ladies of the house preparing rooms for their new guests. Making list and inventory they will need from the store. Reggie gassing up the vans and the trucks, yes sir work was being made ready when they got there. The place was swept, scrubbed clean. After the list of goods they needed and put away plus days work was over they had they're own private ho-down with friends and neighbors........



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

58 Views
Added on February 14, 2019
Last Updated on January 18, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep