Chapter 17

Chapter 17

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 17


Pa, Will, and EJ loaded up the pickup with all the goods they can trade at Stringum's on main in Santaquin packing it to the brim were off down the road. They just had barely three hours before they had to be back for work with Mr. Grams and Rivers they were kinda in a hurry as Pa drove fast enough almost breaking the speed limit. Richard too watching the clock as they pulled out of the barn, head towards the sheep farm to find Albert to load up some Fleece to take over to Mr. Stringum to trade for cash or a note to buy things for the store in Salt Lake City.


Everyone on deadline including Mr. Whitmore paced the floor looking over the documents wondering what to do as Doc Hatfield knocks on the door. “Got word at the hospital that you are taking some time off, thought I'd come over and look ya oversees how you are doing Kollie. Since now you are my patent according to the hospital, just making my rounds,” Doc said.


Kollie tries to laugh but wasn't in the mood. Showing Doc the letter from Peters grandmother and tells him what the Judge said showing him the papers. “No wonder you are wound up tighter then gator on stilts. “Three days all in the wrong place at the wrong time.” Doc said rubs his chin, “so when’s the funeral? “He asked.


“Sunday that's when she wanted it,” Kollie replied.


“When are they due back?” Doc asked.


“2 weeks from Monday.”


“So what's ya sitten around here for like a treed possum?” Doc said pointing to the paper, “Just go up getter done, bring her back, send off one those telegrams or just surprise her,” as he slaps him on the back. “Fly back in time for the funeral. Now then let’s check you over make sure nothing else is wrong… no surprises we both don't need anymore,” he said.


Kollie packed for four smiling to himself, “yes sir that's what we'll do,” packing the folder in the suitcase and sets them under the bed. With quick little whistle he starts preparing for a trip and making his rounds around New Downing before the boys get back excusing the Whitmore boys with a whisper telling them, “don't say word, but they are all going to AZ tomorrow as part of the help to the cotton fields,” as he winks and they give him a nod.


He does little shopping of his own, buys few gifts for his wife and for his boys. Takes them back to the cottage humming too himself what surprise he has and what is in store. The next question is place to stay when they return looking at the cottage. “That's right she left me the farmhouse,” hitting his head “or we could just go home, but it was getting too small now that I have 3 boys instead of 2, we defiantly need more room, plus; it be closer to the hospital and to the Downing's and New Downing where we like it so much more. For this is home and there is no other home like it.” So he thought at the time, not realizing his destiny had been changed, by no other than Derrick the keeper of time.



* * *

 


Richard finding Albert out in the shearing shed with his pals the Wilson boys, Ned and Brad. “Hi, Ned,” watching him sheer a sheep faster than he could ever have done, slicker than lightning on fire. Ned and Brad put their knives down and shake hands. “Mr. Downing said you would be stopping by, something about needing some sheepskin,” Albert said.


“Yea, need some too trade for the new house appliances in Salt Lake City help to raise the doe?” Richard replied.


The boys nodded, “well, we been expecting you just bring wagon over well help you load them up.” They loaded 900 sheepskin that day as they wave goodbye head on back to New Downing to find Mr. Stringum for the trade.


Pa, Will, and EJ were at Stringum's Hardware and Goods on main, Pa pulls the pickup around back with a quick glance over at EJ. “What do you think EJ?” Pa asked as he pulled around the back, “you want to come inside or wait here?” EJ thinks about it for a moment realized he was always safe with Pa and his brothers, “I trust you Pa, I'll come inside, but if you don't mind I won't leave your side for a minute,” he said.


Pa rubbed his hair, “fine by me,” as he chuckles. Will went in first checking make sure it was safe and turns the sign around and locked the door? 


Pa and EJ came in with Dave right behind them telling them the coast is clear, pulls out some stools to sit on. “Mr. Stringum said you'd be by today to do a little trade,” he said looking at the truck piled high. “Good thing to my shelves were getting kinda low,” hands them each a catalog and pad and pencil.


Why Will and Dave and his new helper unload the pickup. Pa and EJ thumb through catalog together looking at items on the list that Pa made. The three of them choosing between them what to get for the house what to leave for the girls to decide on to pick out. They order lots of stuff and things that they needed something's that would be surprised later on as they laughed handing the list to Dave too order and picked up supplies they needed now like stain, paint, small lumber for the chairs and projects to build, extra hammers and 4 more tool belts and the tools to go in them. Plus more seed for planting and taking extra catalogs home for the girls.


Pa looked up at the clock, “Holy cow boys it's 1:30!!!”  Dave giving them each sack of penny candy as they rushed out the door towards home. Pa driving fast down the road as the boys reached the cottage, the three of them rushing in so fast nearly knocked over the Whitmore's as they all laughed. Pa counting heads: 1, 2,3,4,5 one missing Robert.


Pa hurries grabs his clothes and jumped in the pickup and heads to the farm, finding Robert still working on a chair for the kitchen table. “Son we got to go,” looking at the clock 1:50. Pa tossed him his clothes for work to hurry him along as they rode back to New Downing as quick as they can. Robert changes his shirt tossed it in the back, Pa dropped him off at the Post Office. “Good luck son sees at home,” he replied.


Pa looked at the clock the time was 2:00 mopping his face, headed for the cottage. Robert joins the rest of the boys at work inside the office. Mr. Grams kept Peter inside at the counter and Mark printing while Frank is out helping setting up the newsstands with EJ. Mr. Rivers takes Robert puts him behind the counter and Will. Leaving Robert in charge with a trainee while Mr. Rivers went out to sets up the Post Office in Cracken.


Robert helps load up the horses showing the trainee how it’s done by placing a number on the horse to match the route, then sorts the packages or the letters to match the route number to the horse shown on the paper. The boys working away at their jobs printing, working the counter keeping their minds busy was the key it seemed as life goes on around them.


Wayne and Kollie home alone, at last, going over last minute plans, one a surprise other inventory of things that needed to be done, both busy going on about doing their own thing. Tell someone speaks, Kollie says. “Wayne, how many did you get today to go work on the cotton field?” Kollie asked.


“Eleven why?” Kollie explains his predicament and the idea about going down with the group to get his wife before the time runs out before the funeral. “You know, that's not a bad idea,” Wayne said as they both laughed looking at all the extra work and the new problems they were facing. “Winters coming sooner then we like and we need them here. The only reason I think they're up there longer was due to the shortage of help. Tell you what I need is someone to take this group up to the airport anyway. How about you go up there with your boys and get what you need to get done. I'll join you say... Thursday afternoon and well all leave on Friday in time for the funeral and courthouse on Monday.” Wayne replied.


“Good idea, but what about our boy’s schoolwork?” Kollie asked.


“Humm you got a point there, Mary and Lizzy said they would help let's see what they suggest,” Wayne said


Wayne and Kollie headed on over to Mary and Lizzy cottage too pick up the boys and discuss an idea with them. They knock on the door they open the door with both them staring them down.” Please tell me you haven't changed your minds about the schoolwork?” Mary replied.


Wayne said. “No, no, not that, just that we have sort of a dilemma regarding it. In hoping you have a solution to the problem” Wayne said.


Wayne and Kollie go inside explain the problem to them. Wayne says. “So you see it not about them doing the schoolwork, it about where to do it,”  Wayne replied and Kollie looking at the aunts as they grin from ear to ear as they waited for the answer.


Mary said. “So basically you are asking if we would like to go to Arizona for a couple of days.” As they nod their head yes.


Wayne said. “One with Kollie and one of you can leave with me. That way the boys don't miss anything and we can all return together,” Wayne said.


Mary and Lizzy rolled their eyes puffing air between their lips shaking their fingers at them. “Alright, will go, but trust me they better study hard tonight because your fixing dinner while their studying and no, if or buts about it you two,” Mary said pushing them out the door. “We will bring these two later since you'll be too busy to watch them, now scoot,” Lizzy replied.


“That went well,” Wayne said looking back at the cottage heading back to their place.


Kollie laughed. “Yea, but I didn't plan a meal did you?” As they both laughed


“No, me either. Oh well, don't sweat the small stuff they say.” Wayne replied finding Richard in the stable putting the wagon away for the night. They filled him in all the stuff as he hands over a note for the sheepskin. “I guess I need those mattresses sooner then I thought,” Wayne said laughing at their new plans of the girls arriving home this weekend.


Wayne, Richard, and Kollie all headed back to the cottage to start preparing for dinner and for the boys, so they could study as agreed by the aunts. “There's nothing like a home-cooked beef stew,” Wayne said as he opened the fridge pulling out some leftover meat pieces and a half bag of carrots and potatoes and some onions. As they all laugh, “Looks like we need to add shopping to the list boys.” Wayne said rifling through the pantry and seeing the bare shelves. Taking note of how much salt, sugar, and flour is left.


Kollie laughed over Wayne's shoulder, “oh I was going to mention that, but it slipped my mind friend... sorry,” he said. Wayne pulled out a pad and pencil making a list of things they needed for the pantry and the fridge. “Tell you what you make a list I'll go to the market down in New Downing see if I can get some of these things filled, why you two fix dinner. I'll start peeling the carrots and potatoes for the stew while you are doing that” Kollie said.


Wayne makes the list of the supply's Richard browns the meat and Kollie peels the vegetables. It was a three-man team as Wayne puts on the apron and the hat hums a merry old tune making a list and checking it twice. “10 lbs flour and salt...” Checks the fridge and the ice box and the meat locker shaking his head making his list... Hands the list to Kollie and then chops up the vegetables mixing everything in a great big kettle throwing everything he could think of except the kitchen sink.


Sends Richard down the hall for a quick bath with a nod, turns down the kettle, starts a fire in the pot belly stove to take off the chill in the room and starts the cornbread. Richard comes back down the hall. Wayne hands him the apron and the spoon puts in the cornbread in the oven. Pulls recipe of apple dumplings and a half bag of apples and heads on down the hall for his bath. Kollie was buying things on the list checking off the items, loading them in back of the pickup. Then hurry's back with the supplies to the cottage with wave and thanks to grocery clerk at the market. Richard helps him carry it into the house stocking up the panty. By the time Wayne comes down the hall. “For a minute, I thought we lost you Kollie,” Wayne said shaking the water out of he ears.


“Sorry Wayne,” Kollie said mopping his face with a sigh. “That should do it,” putting the last item on the shelf. “Now then what's left?” Kollie asked looking at the kettle of stew as Wayne pulled the cornbread out of the oven. Wayne has him make a tossed salad with dressing while he makes the rolls and Richard went out chops wood for the fire. Handing the apron back to Wayne and the spoon, Kollie puts the salad in the fridge and Wayne sends him down the hall for his bath before the boys get home in 30 min or so and gives a stir to the kettle and a stir to the dumplings on the stove, adding some more sugar and cinnamon to them.


Mary and Lizzy knock on the door right on schedule as Wayne and Richard begin to set the table. Mary and Lizzy look around the room. “Good, looks like everything is in order, smells good to Wayne,” Mary said tasting the stew adding a little more pepper as Kollie comes down the hall all nice and clean.


“Hello ladies,” Kollie said still drying his hair and shaking the water out of his ears. Puts the towel in the basket ready to be washed, joins Richard at the table setting plates and silverware on.


Mary and Lizzy set the homework down on the counter as the boys come in from town. “Well it about time you boys got home,” Mary said and Lizzy looked at them shaking finger trying to be mad, then busting out laughing to change the mood bit in the room. “Your Pa’s tells me dinner is almost ready boys so go get cleaned up so we can eat,” she said. The boys are dumbfounded. “Go on now, for we have work to do will explain during dinner,” Lizzy said.


The boys cleaned up the best they could for now since there was no time for a quick bath at the moment and sat around the table with their aunts and Pa's as they explained what's going on as Mr. Whitmore tells them about the letter from Peters grandmother and what he a had planned to do. Mark and Frank were thrilled and so was Peter, that they would be more than just friends. If only if it were that easy for EJ as he looks out the window and down the road, but for now they are his family and his brothers these are his friends.


They tell them what they have planned to do. “Boys the Whitmore's will leave tomorrow with the group for the cotton field and we will join them later, We will all be back Friday night in time for the funeral on Sunday and deliver the papers on Monday,” Pa said as they all thinking of the planed and surprise trip as they hurried and ate, cleared the table. Pa and Kollie did the dishes cleaned up the kitchen. While the boys studied with the aunts, pulling out their schoolbooks helping them do their homework and study hard for their test until the boys started to drop off to sleep.


Knowing that the Whitmore's were leaving early in the morning; it was decided between the two the aunts that Mary would go up first and Lizzy would be going up with Wayne and the boys the following day. To make sure not to tell anyone about it, they agreed to leave it a surprise and Mary and Kollie would have Aunty M work out the arrangements of the surprise.


They helped put the boys all to bed and they brought in 2 mattresses for the aunts to sleep on. That way they wouldn't have to be alone in the house and they were all tired. Wayne and Kollie made the rounds to their boys tucking them in for the night before going to bed themselves. “Goodnight my friend and thanks,” as Kollie turns out the light.


“That's what friends are for,” Wayne replies.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

58 Views
Added on February 14, 2019
Last Updated on January 18, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep