Chapter 17-1

Chapter 17-1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 17-1


Unlike the home down the street, you could hear yelling and screaming. “Get to bed “NOW!” And stay there!” Linda yelled down the hall.


Doors slamming, “mama, Dona won't quit bugging me.” Peggy whining as she cried out.


“Can I get a glass of water?”  Peggy asked hoping to stay up longer than her sister.


As Dad stomps down the hall counting “1...2...3...!”It was the same old thing every night in that house until one of them explodes and anger reached the breaking point. Dad once more removed his belt and the mother grabs a new wooden spoon from the drawer.


Except for this time they forgot the neighbors were watching and listening as the cops pulled up to the door. “What's meaning of this?” Seeing 3 frightened children crying and little Danny screaming over a father's knee with his hand raised with his belt. The children crying as the mother gasping as she dropped her spoon at the sight of the officer coming through the door. Linda seeing the flashing lights outside the window, The officer was waiting for an answer from the parents in the room.


Two more officers removed the children take them out down to the police car with blankets around them. Has them taken over to the hospital to Doctor Hatfield too be checked out and find temporary homes for them in the morning? While the officer writes the parents up a citation.


The night nurse calling Doctor Hatfield in as the children arrived at the hospital with their grandmother in tow madder than a wet hen, telling Doc, “hurry up Doc, let’s go, let’s go!” When they arrived at the hospital Grandma tries to comfort her grandchildren the best she can, while Doc takes a look at them while she sits and stews. Thinking about what they have done to them now. “Well don't just stand there you old goat tell me do we have a leg to stand on?” She asked.


“Settle down Betty; settle down,” having the nurse watch the children for a minute. “Danny has a fractured wrist and some heavy burses on his back and bottom and around his legs, the girls have mild bruising and scratches. So yes we have a case and a leg to stand on. I'll see the Judge in the morning, but you dear best hurry because the Downing's are planning to leave today for Arizona for the rest of the week and they won't be back until Friday and you are in no shape of taking care of all three by yourself. In fact, if I was you I wake the Judge right now and get those custody papers done before they left the state,” Doc replied


“Thanks, Doc,” Grandma said in a sad contrite voice.


Grandma loaded the kids back into the car heads back too New Downing drives over to Wayne's cottage first knocks on the door several times until someone answers the door. Mary opens the door seeing Betty and the three children wrapped in blankets with tear streaks down their eyes and Danny with a sling around his left arm and wrist bandaged.

She immediately opens the door and yells for Lizzy to get Wayne. Wayne rushed the door seeing Danny and Grandma and the girls. Anger boiling seeing his wrist and arm holds Danny against him so Danny could cry and let it all out. After he was done and tired out he gently puts Danny to bed on his bed and tucked him in for the night. Lizzy and Mary took the girls put them to bed so Grandma could talk to Wayne alone.


Wayne I'm up against a wall here as you can tell,” she said looking back at the house and down toward EJ home. “I can't handle three together maybe two with the aunts and Richards help,” she said.


“What do you suggest?” Wayne asked as they both walk to Judge Parker place near the courthouse. “Leave Richard here and Mary and take Lizzy to go up with the group instead of waiting an extra day. Do your shopping when you come back. In fact, we will drive you to the airport in the morning and take Danny with you. Since I'm putting him in your care for a while since I'm taking the girls. That is if you want him?” Grandma replies as face turns towards the ground to hide her tears and her anger.


“Grandma you don't have to say another word, he can stay with us along he wants, but what about his parents?” Wayne replied.


“Oh, they asked for it!” Grandma said looking down the road. Puffing air out her mouth, “I'm steaming mad so let’s go wake up a Judge,” she said as they climb his steps.


Grandma knocked on the door until someone answer. “What in tar nation grace alive? Its 1 o'clock in the morning Betty,” he said.


“Sorry Brad, but this is important,” Betty and Wayne replied watching the Judge eye them up and down. “Brad they did it again just a few hours ago to the children. Doc Hatfield is at the hospital has already looked them over has documentation and told me to give it to you, this will prove it. There was even a citation given this time,” showing him a copy of it for his records. “Brad normally we’d wait to tell morning when you are worken, but this couldn't wait,” Grandma explains the problem why they couldn't wait to see him. “That's why we needed to have custody before they leave the state,” Betty replies.


“Because it looks like I am leavening in few hours for Arizona,” Wayne said gives Grandma a quick nod, “so I need to have custody of Danny before I left, or the state would think I stole him,” Wayne said trying to laugh to try to lighten the mood.


“What about the girls?” Judge Parker asked.


“They are staying here with me Judge and Richard for a while. With one of their aunts here in town,” Grandma said.


“I see,” as he shakes his head then sighs, “what a mess that's for sure. Alright give me few minutes to change and we will go over to the courthouse and getter done… again.”


With the court papers in hand, they walked back to the cottage. The aunts had the girls down sleeping on the mattresses and while they started breakfast for everyone by the time Grandma and Wayne got back to the cottage. When things finally settled down enough they sent Wayne back to bed for a couple more hours of sleep. The three sisters going over the details what needs to be done watching the two girls sleeping decided it be best if they all stayed right here together. Grandma, Aunt Mary, and Richard, while they are away. 


But Grandma insisting that Mary go with Lizzy to make sure all that homework gets done, which was piled high on the counter. Grandma, paces looked out the window, “Richard and I will be fine for three days after all these two girls will be in school some of the time and Granny can help me as well,” she said.


Betty putting her foot down not backing down, as she sets the homework in the suitcase for the girls to take. “Go, I’ll be fine,” her sisters giving her a cautious look, but Betty was not budging an inch. Sends them back to the cottage to pack their things, “Now scoot “as she kicked them out the door whispering not to wake the children and closes the door. Grandma sets the table humming and watches her two grandchildren sleeping like little lambs. Reminding her self they only look that way when they are asleep. When they wake that’s when their horns come out.


The sun rises over the mountain as the Mr. Rooster crows times two out by the window C**k a doodle do” as the boys and men yawn to that glorious sound of their alarm clock. Grandma goes in and wakes the boys.  “Boy's breakfast will be ready soon, bathe quickly.” She said pulling out each of their suitcase for each of the boys, setting them on their beds. Robert is the first one done sees the suitcase on the bed went in to ask why she was here and about the suitcases. Robert stops in his tracks and gasps seeing Danny and his sisters at the table and Danny wearing a sling around his arm and bandage wrist. Grandma nods to him, “all will be explained, just have a seat at the table please,” she said.


Will comes out next with EJ Grandma nodded placing EJ far away as possible next to Danny and away from his sisters at the table. “All will be explained in a minute,” she said as he looked at Danny with tears still in his eyes. Aunts arrive back with their suitcases packed and ready with Granny in tow, as Richard and Pa come down the hall to the kitchen followed by the Whitmore boys. Aunts and Grandma finish setting breakfast on the table.


Everyone gathered around the table as Pa stands clicks the orange juice glass and clears his throat. Takes a look around the table at this strange group shaking his head and sighs. “There have been some changes in our plan boys, some minor bumps as it seems,” he said rubbing Danny's hair. “It seems that this little guy wants to come with us,” he said as he tries to laugh. “Not only that boys, but we are also leaving today with the Whitmore's and with the group to the cotton fields”


Now that got everyone's attention. “What about Mr. Rivers and Mr. Grams, Pa? We promised them we work for them today,” asked Robert.


Mr. Whitmore stands, “I took care of that yesterday boys when I did some shopping, that's why it took me so long to get back,” He said as he winks to Wayne and Grandma.


Then Grandma stands, “and the girls are staying with me, with Richard and Granny, while Danny goes with you and the Aunts to make sure you get all that homework done.” She replied as the boys groaned just thinking about the homework, “so hurry up and finish your breakfast so you boys can pack,” she said.


The boys packed quickly not asking any further question, EJ and Pa furious what they did to Danny nearly slamming their suitcase in the car. So mad they had to go for walk, while the others finished packing the cars to let out a little steam. Pa looking back at the cottage where Danny is setting with his grandmother and Richard and the boys, “how could they Pa?” EJ asked nearly in tears as he puts his arm around him. “Wasn't it bad enough just me, now him?” EJ replied.


Pa couldn't answer why with a tear in his eye but looks down at his son. “EJ there two type's people in this world, one that deserves children and wants them and others that think they are a curse or a disease because they don't get what they want. We are the kind that wants children of all kinds,” as he puts his arm around him “and guess your parents are the other kind.” Pa said and tells him that they now have temporary custody of Danny for the next six months according to the Judge, while the court orders the parents to seek medical help unless they want to spend some time in jail.

EJ whispers silently, “it took them long enough,” as tears rolled down his face.


Pa and EJ headed back to the cottage feeling little better and helped finish loading up the cars. Aunty M sent a bus down to New Downing to pick up the group to take them to the airport and everyone in town giving them a big send-off as the band started to play Arizona pride. 


“Rolling hills and sagebrush where the cotton blows in the wind. We will be haven jackrabbit for super and rattlesnake for breakfast dear. For we are the Arizonan pride.” The town’s people waving their hats in the air as the bus leaves for the airport with the Whitmore's on it. With one aunt and a schoolbook in her hand, wasted no time for study, why wait? She figured handing them each a set of cards quizzing them on their lessons.


“Well Richard,” Wayne said watching the group leave, “I guess we better head out ourselves,” Pa said Grandma putting the girls with her in the front seat and the Robert Will and Mary with her school books and cards in the back. Richard driving his car with EJ and Wayne in the front three boys Danny, Sam and Ted in the back they were off to Salt Lake City Airport. Wayne also handed EJ a school book to read and a pencil to write with and some coloring books for the boys in the back with some toys to play with and blankets to curl up in if they wanted to take a nap since it was a long trip for them as well. As they followed the bus to the airport it was along possession as the Whitmore boys waved back to them and Downings in their cars. In between the traffic, they went gliding along until the reached the airport.


Grandma didn't leave things to chance as before she had Doc send off a telegram telling Aunty M they were coming to make room.


Margaret ... Stop        

For your eyes only ... Stop

Wayne and boys are coming ... Stop

Arriving with the group... Stop

Don't tell Rena or Martha ... Stop

Doc Hatfield... Stop

 


“Telegram, Telegram,” as the boy on his bike yells comes to the door of the cotton ranch. “Telegram for Margaret Cotwellar, telegram,” as he knocks on the door Aunty M opens the door as telegram the boy hands it to her. “Are you Mrs. Margaret Cotwellar?” he replied.


“Yes,” she said.


“Please sign here it say for your eyes only on the slip,” as she signs and gives him a tip thanks him with a smile.


Margaret ... Stop

For you are eyes only ... Stop

     Wayne and boys are coming ... Stop

Arriving with the group... Stop

Don't tell Rena or Martha ... Stop

Doc Hatfield... Stop

 


Aunty M quickly folds the telegram and puts into her purse, putting her hand to her mouth to control the laughter. “Well, I be a hog tied with nowhere to run,” peeking inside the house with the biggest grin on her face with a twinkle in her eye.


“Who was that Aunty M?” Martha asked.


“Oh just telling me that boys have left New Downing and on their way to the airport, dear should be here in few hours. Have ya seen Reggie, Martha?” Aunty M asked.


“Last I saw him he was by the plane and vans.”


“Thanks, dear.” Aunty M walked out to the vans seeing her son Reggie just doing the last check before heading out. “Everything ok dear?” His mother asked.


“Just fine Ma,” he replied.


“I am glad,” Margaret said her eyes towards the house then whispering. “You might need couple more vans dear,” showing him the telegram and nods putting her fingers to her lips grinning.


“Yes I’ll get right on it,” he replied as he runs into the house to make sure they all get on the plane without any problems and have drivers waiting for them with two extra vans. Aunty M takes the girls out to do some more shopping while the kids are in school getting ready for tonight's ho-down. Because tonight's going to be a humdinger she reckons patting her purse with the telegram in it.





© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

57 Views
Added on February 14, 2019
Last Updated on January 19, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep