Chapter 20-3

Chapter 20-3

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 20-3


“Martha dear, I can't find my razor,” Wayne called out.


“It's in the bathroom marked soap and things,” she replied.


“Ma can you help me with this dress... Thanks.” Julie asked.


“Will, are you boys about ready up there?” Ma yelling at the bottom of the stairs.


“Yes, Ma.”


“Martha quit worrying everything will be fine,” Aunty M replied.


“I know Aunty M I know,” as she tries to help load things into the cars for the trip to Salt Lake City. “I just have the feeling that's something's wrong,” as Martha looks down the road.


Everyone dressed in their best clothes ready for the trip; suitcase loaded in the cars, Pa checking the list one more time, “Robert? He asked.


“Yes, Pa?”


“Make sure Ned and the boys are fine and tell them were leaving now,” he said.


“Ok, Pa.


Martha walked around the house to say goodbye to Mr. Stringum. “Mr. Stringum we are leaving now,” Martha said and kissed him on the cheek, “thanks for all the hard work you've done,” looking at the house, “we just love it,” she said and sighs.


Everyone piled in the cars, it was snug, but nobody minded as they drove out of town that morning to a big city; leaving the small cities behind them in the distance. It was nearly an hour's drive as they reached S.L.C... The children could see all the towers and buildings from the freeway with Aunty M leading the way. The first place they went was to check in at the hotel. At The Marriott, it was the biggest building on the block with red carpets at the door and busboys with baggage carriers. Pa thought it was too fancy for them, but not Aunty M, no sir she marched them right on in and rang the bell at the counter, got them all rooms for the night of course.


Two beds per room except Ma's and Pa's and the girls Aunty M shared it with them and two boys per bed except for the three small boys. They all shared one bed which made a total of 17 beds which equaled 5 shared rooms. They brought in 2 extra beds for them in the larger rooms for 5 dollars more, after they checked in rooms and were all settled in.  Aunty M decided to take the three boys to the park and the Zoo, while the grownups did their thing.


Watching Sam, Danny and Ted jump around with excitement when their Aunty M said the Zoo. So they were off timing their watches to meet back here for lunch at 1 o'clock. Pa taking the list with the measurements and things they needed for the house and Ma's arm Kollie taking Rena and the boys and girls in front marching out of the hotel and down the street. “Look Pa, a Trolley,” Anna said points down the street watching it go by with her brothers inside headed for the zoo and waved. As they walked down 5th and Second Street the building was as big as skyscrapers when they touched the sky. Shop windows dressed, showing their finest wears and goods as the people stop and pass them by.


People in droves from either side of the sidewalk would come in and out of the buildings with their packages in their hands. Yes, sir, it was a busy place this Salt Lake City not like home at New Downing, where everyone knew everyone and everything. Here you could get run over just by standing still. Their first stop was something called a Beauty Parlor as Ma and the girl's watched a woman cut hair, put into a nice fancy bun from a window storefront. I'll they knew is that it smelled funny, according to the boys. Julie and Anna said some of the styles looked dreamy as the boys rolled their eyes at them.


Pa smiled watching Ma amuse herself in the window as Pa pushed them towards the door.” Why don't' you ladies go get you are hair done,” he said seeing a barber across the street for the menfolk as he rubbed Roberts' head and EJ’s head, “and I'll take the boy's get theirs done to,” he said looking at the list.


“Are sure dear?” Ma asked Pa looking at his daughter’s faces and smiles pushed them all towards the door,” yes dear, now scoot.” Kollie kissing his wife on the cheek holding the door open for the ladies; Ma watched them go across the street.



* * *

 


Aunty M was having her own fun with the three boys as they ride the Trolley up the hill on Sunny Side Avenue to Hogle Zoo. The boy's eyes wide looking at all the skyscraper building out of the window of their seats. Bouncing from one seat to another so they can see everything as the bell on the Trolley clangs up the hill. When the Trolley came to a stop at the top where the zoo was, Aunty M in the middle taking Sam and Danny hand Sam taking Ted's they were off to go explore the zoo.


The first stop was the monkey cages as Danny pointed, “over there Aunty M on the tree eating a banana.” Then Sam pointed to some monkeys playing in a swing as all three boys try to act like a monkey, making Aunty M laugh. Ted spotted the elephant and the giraffe pins and Aunty M gave them each a bag of peanuts to feed them. The elephant trunk would swing back and forth and the boys would toss peanuts to the elephant, but when the elephant reached it trunk over to help himself they would back away against the wall quickly guarding their peanuts.


The next stop on her list was the train and the petting zoo as they make it around the park. The train would go around the park and over a hill and through a tunnel. Aunty M watched the three boys laugh as it comes down the hill. On the train, the boys saw all different types of animals on the route as it went around the park before it returned back to the station. When they got off the train they all ran to the petting zoo around the corner. Where a goat tried to eat Aunty M flowery hat as the boys laughed, petting a baby camel with one hump instead of two knocking her over.


Then saying goodbye to the zoo they each got a souvenir of their favorite animal and road the Trolley back down the hill to Liberty Park to ride the carousel. The boys hearing the music of the carousel raced to the entrance finding each a horse to ride with Aunt M right behind. Ted riding one of the painted horses and Danny and Sam right beside him they would pretend that they would be running a race as the carousel went around the park.


After a while, they played on the swings and the slides before heading back to the hotel for lunch and a nap, for three tired little boys and Aunt M exhausted chasing three little boys all morning as she slumped down in a chair watching them fall fast asleep. She kicked off her shoes, “ahh that's better,” rubbing her sore feet then pulling out her list, “now where was, I… ahh yes.” With a knock on the door and checking to make sure the coast is clear… then slips a note under the door of room 308.


Please be advised danger on the loose. Morgan is in town, meet me tonight at 1 am send SOS to Wells, Butterfield, Lenfind ... Asp.

“M.”


 Then sneaking back to her room.   



* * *

 


Wayne looked across the street where the girls are, sneaking over peeking through the windows trying not to be seen. Watching, but only for a moment knowing how long it takes for women to get their hair done vs. men. Sneaks back to the barbershop... “Alright, boys,” handing them each a small list laughing “the coast is clear, you have at least an hour.” He pointed to the Z.C.M.I around the corner and giving them each an address where to send the packages back to the hotel. The boys made a run for it as soon as they got their haircut and out the door with Kollie right behind them. While Pa remained behind to keeps a lookout for the girls laughing as they went out the door.


Taking Pa's list of the sizes and the needs and wants of their sisters, the boys bought all kinds of gifts as they’d sneaked around the store. Peeking making sure the coast was clear when buying for each them on their list. There was a couple of times they nearly got caught as they said “no this for Will or this for Robert or do think Pa would like this,” or pick something else or go back to get it when their not looking.


Richard had been the best as Pa hand him a list of everyone and him Kollie would shop for and be the lookouts for each other. They had all their packages wrapped in brown paper tied with string then sent to the hotel. “That's right sir,” each of them handing him the money and the address. “I need these sent to the Marriott Hotel,” the man looked at Kollie on the side giving him a nod and smile. Then wait for all the boys to go outside to join Pa as Richard and he went thru the counter and leaving a tip before leaving.


Martha, Rena and the girl's walkout of the Beauty Parlor, patting their hair, seeing the boys walking back around the corner with smiles on their faces, “and what have you boys been up to?” She asked.


“Nothing Ma, just window shopping that's all,” all the boys replied.


Martha and Rena looked at Wayne and Kollie and their guilt-ridden faces. “I see,” putting their fingers to their lips as they tap them watching the boys and their husband's amused faces, “as long as you had a good time.” They replied as they laughed. They did a little bit more window shopping before heading back, but not before stopping at K Phipps Photography studio too set a time to have all their photos taken after lunch as Martha and Rena batted their eyes at their husband. “Pleases dear, while everyone looks so nice and we are all together,” how could they refuse?


“Alright dear,” putting down the time at 3' o clock on the books.


With the Whitmore's right behind them with hearing Rena telling Kollie, “this will be the first time I have a picture of you not wearing a Kitenge gown dear,” and loving every minute of it.


He just smiled puts his arm around her,” yes dear I know,” he said and kissed right their on 3rd and Second Street in the middle of the crowded sidewalk. With Julie and Anna sighing “Ahhh” and the boys rolled their eyes and Pa whistling in the air looking at the time. “Ahum” as they both come up for air.


Rena a little taken back lost in the moment for a second. Then giggling "oh my" patting her hair. “Oh yes, where were we?” Rena said taking her husband arm with a little color in her cheeks.


Ma giggling like a schoolgirl as she looks at Pa with wanting eyes. They did a little bit more exploring around the town before heading back to the hotel as the usher at the door hands the ladies, an invitation for tonight's dance in the park, which will include carriage ride to and from the park, sponsored by the Marriott Hotel Fall Festival tonight. “Pa, can we? Can we?” the children asked jumping up and down with excitement “can we go? We never have been to a ball before,” children said pleading.


Wayne looked at the excited children and at his wife, “heck why not,” laughs “let’s see how these city people dance.” Checking the age limit on the invitation, usher whispers in his ear, “not to worry sir, all have been arranged,” gives him a wink.


“What do you mean all been has arranged?” Pa replied.


“Sorry, sir that's all I can tell you, sir,” opening the door for them, “and your packages have arrived safe and sound. Sir my I make suggestion visit Gretchen Foster Dress Shop on 5th and 3rd Street and Harry, Lends Tux on Luxton Drive on 22nd Street. I'll have a car brought around for you when you are ready sir and your ladies,” as he bows. “Your Aunt Margaret and the boys are already in the dining room sir If you would just follow me please.” The usher replied as his white-gloved hand pointed the way.


Aunty M tips the doorman with wink and smile. Him slipping a note into her pocket marked with a letter “M.” on the front.


Lady “M”… Received message “code word. Morgan, Looking for dance partner near the bridge, meet me at the ball... “L”


“Now then,” Aunty M said unfolding her napkin looking at children and their nice new haircuts. “Have you been enjoying my little town?” She asked as they all nod their heads. “I am glad we have lots to do and not a lot of time to do it in I' am afraid either, but oh well. Now then what shall we have for lunch because I am starved,” she said bending over to the table to tickle Danny and some of the boy’s tummies.


The three boys talked about all the things they saw at the zoo and the park and they told Aunty M everything they saw up down the street and some the stores of course. Ma and Rena keeping a close eye on the time for pictures, “well sounds like you did have a good time, but we need to do some more shopping if we are going make to that ball tonight. Yes, sir,”


Aunty M said looking at the invitation on the table. “We're going to need some head-turning dresses, Wayne let me see that list of yours again. What we need is a poesy,” Aunty M said cutting up the list into sections. “Now then we are here what time do we need to be back ready to go humm? 6 to change that gives us 4 hours maybe 5, yes I think we can do it folks with little help from my friends.” As Aunty M waved over to the doorman, “everyone one meet Sir Drealin, I and he go back a long way's, he's from Ireland I've known since he t’was a wee babe,” she said.


Sir Drealin was a sophisticated chap, tall and long virus short and fat. He was born and raised in Ireland according to most people, which included Aunty M. but in truth he and his family are what we call visitors from behind the looking glass, and live in small town called Springfield where Derrick lives and few others like Jaydan and Mr. Golden Eyes as well as a couple of ladies like Mrs. Lady Luck just to name a few. Mr. Sir Drealin he was tall as if had stilts for legs dressed in gray pigeon suit, not that other bird known as a penguin in a black suit with gray bow tie and shiny black shoes, his hair dark brown with gray on the sides and Irish accent.


“And I, her grandchildren,” he said as he dots his eye with the back of his sleeve.


“Drealin meets the Whitmore's and these folks here are the Downing's that you have heard so much about,” she replied.


“Please meet you, fine folks,” he said as he shakes hands tips his hat. “I sit and gab, but I' am still on duty,” eyeing towards the door, “so I'd better get back to my post if ya need anything just give me holler and Sir Drealin that's me will come a run-en,” he replied.


“Actually,” Aunty M putting her hand on his arm, “that's why I called you over here Drealin dear, I need your help,” she said.


“Well, why didn't ya say so in the first place?” He replied then with a wave of his glove a boy comes over and he leans over to him.


“Yes sir, right away sir,” and another man was standing by the door.

“Now then,” as he folds his gloves into his hat sets it on the table, “how I can be of services?” He said pulling up a chair.


“As ya know Drealin these folks are from out of town,” she said as she smiled, “would like to go to this here shindig,” she said pointing to the invitation, “and still get all this done,” she replied pointing to Wayne and Kollie’s list.


“I see,” he said as he nods his head.


“And yet see this far city of ours and have a bit fun,” Aunty M said.


“My, that is a problem I must say, sounds like we need to do something about that problem looking at these wee children and this here problem then. You say 4 hours maybe 5 tops Margaret dear humm,” he replied stretching his legs and fingers.


“That's right Sir Drealin,” Aunty M replied.


“Well then,” placing his hat on his head and his gloves in his back pocket, “then we best get move on it, dear. Theirs a barber for the wee ones just down the hall to the right. Tell them Sir Drealin sent ya then meet me out front.” Sir Drealin said clapping his hands watching a runner come forward then taking the list in his hand hurry’s out the door screaming orders. Groomsman's running this way that way down the hall down the ally.


Aunty M watching everyone while they finished their lunch while Pa took the boys down for their haircuts while the women freshened, up putting on their make up for the pictures as the boys rolled their eyes pacing the floor telling them to hurry up as they all went down to meet Sir Drealin at the front of the hotel.


Out front of the hotel was parked two large vans with logos Marriott Hotel on the side with Sir Drealin holding the door open for them as they got in. He took the lead the van drove them around the back to Gretchen Foster Dress Shop on 5th and 3rd Street Harry, Lends Tux on Luxton Drive on 22nd Street. Gretchen himself came out to great them closing his shop just for them fer tea time he called it according to the sign on the door.


“Wee', wee' Sir Drealin not like this,” Gretchen said as he pointed to the Downing and Whitmore's. “This won't do, not for such fine ladies of such quality as such as madam missals. Such fine young men back into the changing rooms.” Clapped his hands twice, They said pushed them back toward the rooms where he brings them fine gowns and suits to try on for their pictures and for the boy's tux. “Ahhh that's better,” he said taking his fingers to a square and smiled then little tuck here and little tuck there. “Pretty as a picture,” they both said as he dots his eye, “and the wee one yes.” Gretchen and Harry said.


“Flash” can everyone say cheese as K Phipps takes the pictures of the girls and boys and Ma's and Pa's smile at the children in their nice clothes as Sir Drealin and Aunty M watched the clock and smiles passing notes with runners behind everyone's back down the road? “Flash.”


“Is everything set,” Aunty M asked and quickly nods to Sir Drealin and he winks back. Sir Drealin makes sure that dresses and tuxes are sent back to the hotel for tonight's festivities passing a note to K. Phipps and “GF” to be on the lookout for... Code Morgan. “P” Ronda view.


Everyone changing back into their nice traveling clothes hopping back into the vans they were off to their next place according to the list. Sears Roebuck and Co. Down on 8th and 27th Street according to Sir Drealin there was a toy store for the young en’s that they just got to see. There was a large fabric store B. Burton just around the corner that Martha and Rena would fall in love with plus give her husband Wayne and Kollie could get some idea what to build for their shop.


Noting the time on his watch 3:45 he pushed everyone into the van waves pointing at his watch, “common wee children lots to do, lots to do.” As they arrive at the store then break up the list handing the girls theirs with Ma and Rena with Aunty M at their side. Leaving the three boys with Sir Drealin and Richard too go explore the toy shop around the corner, while the older boys went with Pa and Kollie to go look at the appliance. The women busied themselves with the rest of the store to meet back within an hour it was a madhouse dash as they timed their watches to meet back on the corner no later than 4:45 with the list in hand.


Then they all went back to the hotel for a night of fun with everything accomplished just in the nick of time. Thanks to their new friend Sir Drealin. But the night was young as they sat down for a quick bite to eat around the corner at a local Sambos. Sir Drealin was telling them about the night festivities as the girls giggle with excitement. He even taught them a few extra dances so they would all fit in tonight “like this,” taking madam missal Julie's hand and EJ taking Ma’s hand and Robert taking Anna practiced a couple of times. Even though they had to left feet or two right feet as they tried to copy him.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

68 Views
Added on February 15, 2019
Last Updated on January 19, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep