Chapter 21-1

Chapter 21-1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 21-1


“My Lady, My Lady we found him,” Sir Drealin yelling, running down the hall screaming at the top of his voice. “The Boy!” Out of breath by the time he reached the room where everyone had gathered... “We found the boy, he's in the lobby,” Sir Drealin replied.


Martha running down the hall towards the lobby not waiting with Wayne in front leaping down the stairs two, three steps at a time... EJ in the hotel on the lobby floor sleeping, very pale like his brothers , dirty clothing torn, like he been through a war, covered in a hotel blanket with his head propped up in Mrs. Lenfind’s lap. Hotel manager confused, says, “when he turned around there he was lying on the floor just a moment ago seeing just a flash of light,” he replied.


Ma looked at EJ not caring, then picking up her boy and crying into his soft shoulder as his head bobs sleepily to the side. Pa drops to his knees hitting the floor next to his son, looking around the room for an explanation with tears in his eyes. Cry's out, “my son, my son,” then picking him up into his arms rocking him gently.


EJ eyes open a little seeing Ma and Pa around him, but too tired to even move, whispers, “Ma, Pa,” with a tear in his eye, “I want to go home,” and falls back to asleep against his shoulder. Ma and Pa carry him back to their room. Ma not leaving his side for a minute...


Ma brushed his soft hair gives him a warm kiss on the cheek. “We will my son first thing,” looking at Pa and Aunty M, “were leaving Salt Lake City,” she said.


The Downing and the Whitmore's didn't wait till dawn as they left the Marriott that early that morning as Aunty M and they quickly packed for home, wrapped all the boys up in blankets after been looked over by another Doctor in the hotel. The boys woke up feeling tired and groggy. EJ little older now when Pa and Ma looked at him last has changed slightly as Pa carry's him to the car, sets him on Ma's lap feels clammy, very tired like he's been away for a while as she looked into his eyes.


Ma brushed his soft brown mossy hair watching him and his brothers sleeping on the way back to the farm. EJ whimpering in his sleep as Ma tries calms him, “Hush now my son, where almost home,” she said as she wiped the tears from her eyes.


Robert and Will in the back huddled together next to their sister Julie for warmth, “Pa can you please turn the heat up a bit?” Robert asked as his and Wills teeth begin to chatter in the back.


“It's up as high it goes son.” He replied looking back at his boys sweating yet freezing as Julie throws on another quilt on top of them wiping the sweat from their faces. “Thanks, sis,” Will replied.


Anna keeping a close eye on Sam, Danny, and Ted, as they sleep on the way home back to the farm in Richard's car feeling their heads and cheeks making sure their ok while shaking her head. “I just don't understand it Aunty M,” she said watching the three boy's sleep. “It’s so strange,” Anna said watching the car where EJ and her other brothers are, “it's like there's a connection somewhere.”


Aunty M deep in thought looked out the window as Richard drives back to the farm. “Connection to what dear?” She asked looking back at the three sleeping boys in the back.


“One minute everything was going as planned then,” Anna said pointing out the window towards the other car, “to this,” pointed to the boys. “I know for fact he was in bed. He didn't leave the room Aunty M because I checked myself. The only one gone was you and you were getting a nightcap.” Anna replied looking straight at her as if she had something to do with it. “But how did he leave the room? Too many things just don't add up,” Anna said looking out the window trying to puzzle out and put things together.


“Sorry dear, what did you say?” Aunty M asked turning to Anna.


“I was wondering how he left the room without anybody knowing about it. Then reappearing down in the lobby hours later?” Anna replied.


“A very good question,” Aunt M said putting her fingers to her lips, “I was wondering the same thing,” she said as she nods in her direction. Aunty M not divulging anything at the moment, but question the idea on how he did get out of the room and what is this connection he has which has got her puzzled as well and what is this Dark Prince and what does Morgan want with him? Was Mike right all along? Oh how I wish I paid more attention back then regarding a strange prophecy from one of his books now long gone, leaving a strange note, “returned to the owner,” in a flash of light.


Pa reached the farm just a little bit by daybreak as they quickly put the three boys to bed tirelessly. Pa picked ups EJ in his arms then retrieved the other boys, with Ma and sisters right behind them. Kollie helping Robert and Will into bed as Julie and Anna finding more blankets for the boys. Richard finding Ned in the barn to go get Doc Hatfield as Richard himself starts to feel weak and tired. Barely making back to the house falls on the half-completed porch. “Ma, come quick!” Julie yelled seeing Richard on the porch with sweat dripping down his face.


Martha yells for help as she runs to Richard side, placing his head in her lap. “My poor boy,” she whispered nearly in tears as Kollie comes and helped Richard to bed. By the time Ned makes it back to the Downing farm with Doc Hatfield. All the boys including Kollie were laden with fever and chills. The whole house was sick as Doc Hatfield calls the nurses back, has Ned setup the gate under quarantine again.


At least this time there was nothing to burn as Granny looked disappointed keeping an eye on Ned as Doc Hatfield sends out orders through the gate; not to come near the house, stretching a line of rope for communication. “Just chicken pox folks,” he said as he smiled pointing to a sign. “They'll all recover in few days or so not to worry,” he said as he went back inside emptying a bedpan or two.”


The hardest thing about chicken pox is the scratching part as Doc tells them not to scratch. “But sir it itches,” as he puts more smelly stuff on you “pee-hew.”  Ma comes round once in while to put a smile on their faces even thou they were just not in the mood.


“Come on boys it’s not all that bad,” she would say as they looked outside can't go out to play. At least they had their friends and brothers down the hall from them as they played toss the sock back and forth while lying in bed all day. Of course, Ma and Rena got after them when they got to wound up. Yelling, “Alright boys that's enough!” And take all their toys away gives them books to read instead. The girls had it easy since none of them were sick, they would sew curtains bring them soup and sandwiches which was alright they guessed.


The boys thought the day would never come when they let them out of their rooms, as the boys all jumped out of their beds and down the hall to the living room. Racing down and sliding down the new staircase banister to the living room, even thou they still weren't allowed outside, it was better than nothing at all.


The boys still had plenty to do as Mr. Faith and school board would pass by with their homework so the boys wouldn't fall behind. It was a tough being indoors all the time, but even tougher being in their rooms. Aunty M and Ma kept a pretty close eye on EJ as they guard the door at night. Taking shifts and sometimes they would sit in his room looking at the discarded note Morgan left behind as they look down the road. Sometimes when they think he was asleep, he could hear them whispering. “Do think he knows?” As they look at him sleeping in his bed, “whose after him and why?” As Ma and Aunty M shake their head and wonder.


It was a few more days until the boys were able to go outside and play and a week after that before they were all well enough to go back to school. Richard, Pa, and Kollie didn't have it any easier accept they at least got to go outside for a moment long enough to run boxes to a safe distance from the house. Doc had Stringum set up a pulley system on a rope in the yard for delivery and supplies. So they could still finish the house yet keep everyone one else way from them. Unless of course you already had it before then it was alright to come near them according to the Doc. Other than that Downing and the Whitmore’s where pretty well stuck together like glue. All in the same house, shut up tight going nowhere. Looking out the windows with your friends the Whitmore's down the hall and Aunty M. All of them stuck in the same house day, after day.


It was never said you can always have too much of a good thing. Except when it happens and you are stuck looking out the window, wondering what's going on out there without them as EJ watched his friends spin so many times. Before in his kitenge, as EJ rolled his eyes hoping he would just fall on the floor or just hoping he would and just sigh for a change of pace.


Yet at the same time, it was a sad day to see their friends go home as they cried and hugged them out the door as they went down the road. Some would say it was a sigh of relief as Ma hangs her wash outside on the line watching the boys play in the yard. Yes, once again the farm was seeing signs of normal-see and bit of fresh air as Julie and Anna open the curtains and the windows of the house.


Yet there was a change in the wind when they saw a car pulling into the farm. With a man and two women with a logo on the front of the car Child Protection Agency on the front, Mr. Wells and Linda Stuart and another woman she never has seen before or has she as she seemed to look familiar, “No it can’t be. Could it?” Gets out of the car. Martha, putting down her wash looking up at Julie in the window; “it's alright Julie find Pa have him come out here please dear,” Ma said trying to sound calm walking over to Mr. Wells and Linda with a questioning look on her face. Julie runs inside the house telling Pa that some people are here that Ma needs him looking outside the window seeing Mr. Wells outside.


“Julie find the boys please and take them upstairs,” Pa said trying sound calm. “and then find EJ,” he replied.


“Yes, Pa,”


Wayne went outside stands by his wife looking at Linda and the woman beside her. “What can we do for you, Mr. Wells?”  Pa said not taking his eyes off Linda for an instant.


“Mr. Downing, Mrs. Downing may we go inside?” Mr. Wells said pointing to the house trying to sound as informal as possible.


“What's this all about Mr. Wells?” Pa asked making sure the coast is clear giving a quick nod to Julie that children are upstairs.


Linda breaks the silence, “can I see him please?” As she cries, “I just want to see my son EJ, where is he?” She had always hated that name his grandmother gave him, but she was willing to put up with it until he is back home where he belongs, then all hell is going to break loose.” Staring at Wayne than Martha in tears, “please... I beg you I just want to see him.”


Martha glanced back at Wayne than at her tear ridden face. The woman next to her tries to comfort her. “I am Mrs. Jennings we haven't met,” she said taking in Martha and Wayne for a minute. “I have been assigned to her case,” she said handing another tissue to Linda as she pulls out her file. 

 She quickly smiles as to see if Martha or even Wayne recognize her as she checks the spell to ensure that she kept well hidden her true identity as Mrs. Lady Luck, says. “It's my understand standing according to Mr. Wells here that you have been taking care of her son for quite some time, yet she has been unable to see him. Is that due to you won't let the boy see his mother? Or is there or is there another reason? In any case, it is my duty to find out and resolve it.” She said as she glared back at Martha and Mr. Downing, playing the role of a State social worker.


Aunty M upstairs listening to the conversation, “Now you just hold on to your fork tongue you old side wider old bat.” She said as the air in the room changes from cold to hot into shakes of lizard on a hot rock with nowhere to go but up. “If that boy wanted to see you or go home he would have done so long before now and we both know why,” she said glaring down at Linda across the room.


Aunty M nearly on the floor with Wayne trying to hold these two women back from killing each other; Mr. Wells loosening his tie begins to sweat watching Martha as things in the room are almost at their boiling point. Martha places two fingers between her lips and a shrill whistle is heard silencing the two women. “That's enough!” Watching their eyes pop right out their sockets. Aunty M and EJ’s mother Linda never got along.


Wayne calmly said, “Perhaps it’s best... if we let EJ decide if he is ready or not to see his mother?” Sitting them both back on the couch, “and for you both to cool off. After all don't you think it should be his choice, not yours?” He asked as he looked at both women Aunty M and Linda squarely in the eye. Mr. Wells loosening some more of his tie as he sweats, from the stress in the room looking at the two women.


Aunty M sighs looking at Wayne than at Linda, Mr. Wells wiped the sweat off his face with his handkerchief. “Agreed,” as Wayne nods with them all, but not convinced in the decision. “Now then that being settled,” Mr. Wells said pulls out his file, “things are looking good,” he said making a few more notes in the files.


Pa went up the stairs to EJ's room, knocks on the door. “It's me, son,” Pa said EJ removing the dresser from the door unlocks the door. “It's alright son,” holding his son against his chest to comfort him wiping his tears from his face. “It’s safe,” looking at Richard and his brothers in the room.


EJ nods his head shaking like a leaf, “are you sure Pa?” He asked looking into his eyes and gentle face.


“Yes, son. I am. It's just Mr. Wells and your mother downstairs that's all son they just want to talk that's all. Nothing more,” he said as he stroked his mossy brown hair relieves his fears, calming him down. “That is if you want to, but I don’t think your mother will leave the house until she does... not without being dragged out by her heels?” He asked as looks into EJ eyes, “we won't leave your side for an instant son,” he said.


EJ nods his head, “Alright Pa, just talk nothing else.” EJ said Pa nods his head, putting his arms around his son walks down the stairs with him.


Aunty M sets some chairs around the table in the dining room as Linda watched EJ walk down the stairs. Her eyes followed him with every movement as he descends down the wooden staircase. He seemed older somehow, not the same boy she remembered. As EJ got closer he watched her, somehow he felt cold inside when he looks at her as if something was missing, but what could that be? It felt colder in the room as he looked upon her tear ridden face.


EJ shaking as Pa wrapped his arms around him as they come closer to the table; nodding with their eyes, EJ taking a seat next to Pa at the kitchen table clear at the opposite side of the table while his mother and her caseworker sat on the other side, Mr. Wells in the middle as he nods his head. “Well now we can get started,” he said opening his brown leather briefcase, placing EJ’s thick fold in front of him. “As you can see Linda, EJ is doing fine,” he said nodding in her direction, “and is doing quite well in school according to report cards and file.” He replied thumbing through the notes he has received from the school. “Is there anything you would like to ask him?” Mr. Well's asked pointing at EJ as he looked at Linda across the table sitting with Mrs. Jennings.


“Its alright dear,” Mrs. Jennings said giving her nudge, “we are here for you, remember,” patting her hand giving her another tissue.


After a long silence ... Linda whispers. “Are you alright son...?”

EJ looked at Ma and Pa wondering how to answer the question..... “I'm fine,” he whispers back.


“Are they treating you well enough?” She asked not really caring, she wanted so much to reach out and slap him so hard across the face, as she tightened her hand around the Kleenex, reminding her self that the only why she could not do so was pretend to be the mother everyone wants her to be, once that happens she and his father can make certain that he never leaves the house ever again. 


EJ smiled at the dumb question as he almost wanted laugh decided just to play along ... “Yes,” trying not to sound too hard and tries not to smirk as he said it.


Linda got real quiet whispers, “I'm glad son,” Looking down at the table trying not to look away or out the window.


Mr. Wells making notes in the file, “do you have any more questions, Linda,” Linda looked at EJ, “or for Mr. Mrs. Downing?” Mr. Wells asks not looking up from his notes.


Linda wiping the tears from her eyes looked at Martha and Wayne then at Mr. Wells. “They have my other son Danny too,” she replied looking at the ground almost whispering, “And I want him back “NOW!” She said as she screamed in anger and with a flood of tears then running toward the stairs to get him.


Wayne hurries to step in her way, “NO Linda!” He said as Aunty M scrambles off the couch towards the stairs running up them towards the nursery blocking the way. Linda screaming, “You can't do this to me!” She said as she looked at Martha, Mr. Wells. EJ frightened as he watched the house go into total panic as his mother tries to climb the stairs. Ma rushing over too EJ shielding him from her as she tries to make dive for him as Pa steps in her way with the table blocking the way between EJ and her. Pa yelling for Robert and Richard to keep everyone upstairs as Mr. Wells, Mrs. Jennings gets her back into the car.


Linda yelling, “you can't! Their mine you hear me! Their mine!” She said as she screamed down the road in heated anger.


EJ underneath the table with his knees pressed against him shivering. Ma and Pa wrapped their arms around him as they try to calm him down. “Shush now, its ok Shush,” as Ma stroked his hair as she rocked him back and forth crying. “She's gone my son,” with tears in her eyes looking at Pa and the mess they are in this time at their frightened little boy on the floor.


EJ buries his face against Ma shoulder crying, “never, never again,” as she tries to soothe him until theirs nothing left.


“I know I know,” she cries as she smooths his hair back wiped his eyes. Pa takes EJ back to his room where his brothers are and he feels safe, talks with him on the bed for a while.


“EJ my son,” he said putting his arms around him, “remember when I said those times were going to be hard? Well, son, those time are here and we have to face them if you like it or not, and neither of us can run from them. So lets me and you face them together as we always have son as our family has done. Because son you are not alone,” he said as he squeezes his shoulders. “What ya say, son?” Pa asks looking him straight in the eyes.


Yes Pa,” he replies.


Pa wiped EJ tears and rubs his hair, “now go get yourself cleaned up we have work to do.”


“Yes, Pa.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

54 Views
Added on February 15, 2019
Last Updated on January 19, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep