Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 1

Nice evenen Ma’am,” as Jaydan tips his hat with packages in his hands walking the streets of New Downing on 3rd Street. Lights all hung, shops giving off a warm glow of color with carolers on the corner. Lizzy and Jaydan bundle in the sleigh as they drive towards the Downing Farm with packages for all the children and a little extra surprise as he smiles at the passers-by.  “Lizzy ya mind if we made an extra stop on the way for me,” as he leans over the seat, grabbing extra poster too place it in the nearby window, “I’ll just be a moment,” he said than making sure she bundle up tight.  Standing back to admire his work he smiles, “that’s should do it.”

“Do what?” Lizzy asks.

“Nothing dear,” as he climbs back into the sleigh with a twinkle in his eye leans over gives her kiss on the cheek as she smiles. 

“You didn’t dear?” 

“I did,” as he laughs out loud, “they’ll love it,” as she looks back at the poster on the window shaking her head. “Yes dear, they will.”  

Christmas Barber Shop Quartet 
Dec 21, 23 Payson Jr.  
Sponsored By Jaydan Faith Choir.

“You did what?” Wayne asked looks at the invitation than at his boy’s faces. 

“That’s right,” Martha said, Wayne, turning his head towards her. Wayne standing there dumbfounded, “they earned it,” she replied putting her arm around her boys trying to cheer them up, “they are going to sing at the concert at the school isn’t that nice,” giving them each a kiss on the cheek, “my angles.” 

Robert, EJ, and Will feeling weak in the knees as if Mr. Faith has just lost his mind. “You are joking, right?”  Robert replied as Lizzy shows them the poster they just hang all over town.

 “I just put it in the paper this morning,” Jaydan replied as the boys look at Pa in horror. 

“What’s wrong boys? I thought you would be pleased,” Jaydan seeing the shock on their faces as they hang their heads. 

The boys all whispering, “we're doomed,” as they leave the room falling on the couch with their head in their hands.  It was bad enough when they were competing at the choir festival but now in front of the world? 

Ma watching her boys hang their heads, “they'll be fine,” and thanks Mr. Faith giving him a hug and Lizzy a warm smile then pauses, feeling slight tingle; “oh my,” as a shiver runs down her spine. 

Pa watches them go shaking his head looking at his boys… knowing how they feel tries to keep their mind off it. “Alright, boys,” looking at Ma looking around the room rubbing his hands, “let's do it.”

Ma watching Pa as if lost his mind again. “Do what?” She asks.

“Christmas of course,” rolling his eyes then kisses her. “Now where did I put those decorations?” looking around the house pulling out boxes behind the closets and laughing yelling down the hall for the girls Julie and Anna? 

“Yes, Pa?”  The girls replied with curiosity.

“Its time,” as he twirls his daughters around the living room, “for Christmas,” as he laughs swings Sam and Ted in the air… 

“But….Wayne dear its five weeks away,” Ma replied.

“So?” He said as he shrugs his shoulders watching Aunty M running down the stairs to see what all the ruckus is all about.  “But nothing,” Pa said watching his boys faces as he twirling his daughters around all one more time; “I think it’s going to be early this year,” as Pa smiles. 

Ma laughs with a twinkle in her eye, “are you sure dear?” 

“Yes dear,” kissing her on the cheek, “after all we have guest’s right boys?” 

“Right Pa,” Robert replies getting off the couch, “it will be fun,” he said pushing his brothers over laughing to get them to smile. 

“Alright Pa,” Will said and EJ watching him having all the fun without them. 

They decorated the house in all its splendor in spite Christmas was weeks away. It did give them something to do as the concert date loomed closer.  The house was great as it smelled of pine. They went through two trees that year as Pa lets boys Will and EJ chop down the tree for the very first time. 

EJ barely able to hold an ax smearing pine gum from the tip of his chin and all through his hair, EJ didn’t mind thou as they shoved the tree through the door.  Ma screaming, “mind my floor,” as the branches came through the door. 

“Yes Ma,” EJ replied with a tree branch stuck in his mouth.  

Pa would measure as he scratched his head looking at the tree from side to side. “I could have sworn it look smaller outside,” he replied as he mumbles finding the best side. Ma telling them too turn the tree to the right then to the left as Pa stands on a stool trying to hold it up straight. 

While Robert and EJ place bricks underneath “how’s that Pa?” Robert asks.

“Just fine son,” Pa replied as the tree leans south a bit turning their heads. 

Ma smiling, “looks great,” as she smiles turning her head trying hard not to giggle going into the kitchen, holding her hand to her mouth looking at the tree in the family room.  

Now Aunty M it was whole different matter slapping Pa on the back, “is that a stick or tree son never could make up my mind?” She said as she slaps her knee hands him the ax points to the fireplace laughing. “Best to put it out of its misery dear,” shaking her head. Then back out to the fields they go, looking for another until finally even she was happy. “Yes sir now that’s a tree,” she said as she c***s her head to one side and down the other.  Did they mention it only took up half the family room and had a trunk the size of Paul himself and his blue mule or was it an ox… anyway, it was huge.

Ma and the girls were busy string popcorn with Sam and Ted trying not eating it all; mixing it with chestnuts and cranberries that they had saved and dried during the summer months.  Everything was going great until Mrs. Jennings arrived as EJ sighed looking out the window. “Ma do I have to?” He replied as she rubs his hair kisses his cheek.

“Yes dear,” she replied seeing the disappointment on his face, “it’s only for little while then she’ll go home.” 

“I know,” EJ said as he sighed watching his mother walk to the door.  “At least it was just her and Danny,” he thought as he looks outside in the car. “Ma, Danny’s not coming?” 

Looking at his Ma’s face seeing her sad eyes, “no son, I’m afraid not,” leaving him to go answer the door.  

“Come in Mrs. Jennings,” Linda and them seeing everyone gathered in the living room;  Ma closing the door behind them taking their coats showing them in.  

“Please call me Barbra, Mrs. Jennings sounds so formal,” Barbra said as she looks around the room, taking off her coat then warming herself by the fire. “And how are you EJ? And the Downing’s?” She asks shaking the chill off her shoulders.  

“Fine,” he replied not all that enthused about them being here in the first place. 

“O my, isn’t that lovely,” she said looking at the tree, “its big one I must say and I do. You think so, Linda?” Barbra asked. Linda busy staring at EJ. 

“Huh?”

“The tree?” As Barbra gives her a quick nudge.

“Oh yes lovely I can’t wait too put ours up,” Linda quickly said.

Mrs. Jennings turns to face Martha now that everything was going to plan. She knew that EJ’s mother was essential if they were going to have any success of gaining back her soul she had carelessly given away. Her husband Jim, however, was a whole different matter. Not enough luck in the world could get him to even consider be apart of the boy EJ’s life. Too much damage has been done there. 

Not even a magical occurrence could warm his heart for his son; since he never wanted him in or his brother in the first place. The question is how did some like him become such a cruel and hateful man? And how did Morgan find the boy so quickly when they had been working hard to do everything it takes to protect him so he wouldn’t find him or be able to bring forth the Dark Prince. So many questions and so little time… she gave a heavy sigh and said. “Now than Martha how about a nice spot of tea and we will leave these two alone for a while,” Barbra taking Martha by the arm into the kitchen. 

“What?” Martha replied.

“Tea dear,” Martha looking towards EJ, “Oh he’ll be fine dear,” as she drags her along into the kitchen. Waving a quick spell to ensure that boy and his mother with a little bit a stroke of luck or should we say a lot of luck as she felt the power inside of her wane a bit; praying that the two of them could reconcile their difference now that some time has passed. After all the hard work she has put into this, knowing deep down Linda really wants her boys desperately. She just never realized how much until everything had been taken away from her. Now that she has done everything in her power too, help Linda gain apart of herself that she had buried deep within her. 

Yet there still is this problem in how to regain her soul, but with it, she wasn’t enough. Now she was on the very edge of a knife, one nudge one way or the other she could damn her self for all eternity or gain not only her soul but the love she had for all her children, not just her girls. Just maybe her husband Jim will also come around.    

EJ eyes still locked on his mother and hers locked on him as he quickly backs away a little. “EJ,” his mother whispers, “it’s alright… I won't hurt you…look;” as she backs away a bit from him. EJ watches at the corner of his eyes seeing Pa in the next room. EJ backs away just a little further so he can see him clearly as Pa nods too him, watching Linda around the corner from the family room. EJ mother finds a chair near the fireplace yet in safe distance from the door.  Whispers again little bit louder and softer “EJ.” Looking into his eyes with tears, “I’m sorry son,” as soft tear strolls down her cheek.  

EJ sits on the couch watching her still with Pa at the corner of his eye trying to relax.  Watching for any sudden movement as his mother watches him. She whispers again, “I really am sorry son,” trying to get closer to him slowly; EJ watching her never leaving, almost frozen to his spot.  As EJ mother draws closer to him fear begins to fill him, as he tenses up. EJ’s mother stops seeing his muscle tighten as the fear increase in his eyes and face, begins to speak more softly and calmly to him. “I promise,” as she watches her son, thinking. “What kind promise can she make,” watching him tense up as she grows closer too him.  “I promise,” as she whispers, “that it won’t ever happen again,” as she looks at him hoping it makes some sort of difference. “Oh please let it make a difference,” as the tears almost wash down her face, looking at her scared little boy.  

Whispering again almost in a pleading voice how sorry she is with tears in her eyes. EJ looks at her for the first time with real hope. Trying to relax just a little looking into her tearful eyes; “you promise?” He asks looking straight at her.

She nods with a shaking voice “I promise,” sits next to him so she could at least touch him as he lets go with tears in his eyes as she squeezes his shoulder and kisses his tearful cheek. 

Pa watching from the side of the room giving Linda a nod a soft warning as she squeezes her son one more time whispers, “thank you,” as they both sit by the fire talking of nothing important to pass the time away.  For her, it didn’t matter she got what she wanted as she left the house that day, waves down the road wiping a tear as she says goodbye to her son for Christmas that year.  He may not come home, but at least he let her in for just a moment as they both forgave each other, something that has never happened and she intendeds too keep it. Knowing next time if she breaks that promises, not only will she lose him, she will lose her girls and his brother, who are the world too her.

It took Mrs. Jennings too help her see that and find out the hard way that if she doesn’t make a chance, a real change. She will find herself living without her girls, who she loves more than life itself. Not only that but spend eternity in hell or worst she didn’t understand how much worst it could get, but if the nightmares she was having was any indication it was more then a just a wake-up call; she couldn’t afford not to keep her promise to her son or Mrs. Jennings. She looks down the road whispering. “Maybe next year…Yes there’s always next year,” as she smiles placing the gifts she bought just for him with Danny in the car with a kiss, “have fun;”

“I will mama,” he said as she waves him down the street with another tear in her eye. 

It tore her heart out that both her boys wouldn’t be here for Christmas, but it was either that or breaks her promise losing everything. She said giving one last glance as Mrs. Jennings car pulled around the corner.  “Come on girls,” looking at Jim, “we have shopping to do and I am not taking no for an answer,” placing her hands on her hips looking at the list. 

“Yes dear,” Jim mumbling getting inside the car.


© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A nice wholesome Christmas story until a mysterious, unwanted guest arrives. I would have liked to find out more about her. What is her background with the family? More detail to balance out with the other character exchanges. But keep up the mystery at the same time. Great read, onto chapter 2...

Posted 1 Year Ago


The story is coming together with purpose while you still keep us wondering.


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Shep

5 Years Ago

I am glad you like it.
Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I do but as a collective you have to many, rolling of the eyes. Change some of the eye rolling out f.. read more
A very good chapter. You gave enough to keep the reader interested. I liked the thoughts of the mama. Nice build-up for the story my friend. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Shep

5 Years Ago

your welcome and thanks for the review

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 15, 2019
Last Updated on January 19, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Turquoisa Turquoisa

A Poem by Neville


how easy how easy

A Poem by keith