Chapter 1-1

Chapter 1-1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 1-1


It was an unforgettable year. With their friends by there side, they anxiously waited for the day of the concert to arrive. Ma and Pa trying their best to keep the boy's minds occupied with other things of the season. Pa and EJ had worked hard that summer, sanding wooden blocks and making soap horses. It took most of the fall to use up all the soap shapes, but Ma never minded as she placed another carving of horses by the tub. Never did figure out what happened to that wax, looking back at all the scuff marks the boys made spinning that winter during the rainy season.


“Ready son?” Pa asked.


“Ready Pa,” EJ replied, as they tiptoed up to the Walkin's doorstep with a bag of toys in their hands. At the Fetcher's house, EJ almost slipped a couple of times and had to dive behind a bush as the porch light came on.


"Man that was close," EJ said, as they skittered back to the sleigh… Laughing as they drove on down the road.


Yes those where the good days looking down the road, but still the day arrived never-less as the boys looked across the audience arriving sighing. “Where did the time go?” as they looked at their friends, doom was approaching whether they liked it or not as the clock ticked down?


Pa and Ma making sure they looked smart in their suits giving them a final nod as Mr. Faith tells them to find their seats. The boys shaking as the curtain rises and lights go down around them. With a click of his wand a quick nod, the lights fade and the music starts to fill the room.  The chorus sings first as Robert takes his first breath. EJ’s heart pounding right out of his chest. Looking at Ma in the corner as she smiles at them holding Pa’s hand. Then it happens as they all let go a calmness feels the air as Mark, Peter, and then Will with Frank joins in, they were doing it. As EJ looks over at Ma, she had tears in her eyes, it was magnificent when Robert begin his solo and EJ joined him. It brought chills down their spine as the boys came together as one, then the choir finishing it off at the top with a loud applause that filled the room.


They sang their little hearts out three nights that week feeling proud of themselves because the world did not come to end or crushing at  their knees. Thanks to Ma standing by them and Pa pulling them through it that year as they unwrapped their Christmas present with their friends by there side, it's all they ever wanted. Looking at Peter in his new kitenge that EJ’s Ma made him. EJ and his new beads as he spins around the room in his that could stop a horse from crossing a street, he was home, where he was supposed to be.  Giving his Ma and sister Julie a kiss on the cheek and giving his brother Danny his new stuff teddy bear and set of blocks he made with his own two little hands.


“Thanks, Pa,” EJ replied wrapping his arms around him in his new tool belt. EJ handing a new pair of mittens and since he wore the other ones out. Pa giving Ma some more sheets and Aunty M giving Ma another quilt. For the bed for those cold nights as the shadows visit them down the hall. Yes, it was the best Christmas ever; EJ got what he wanted looking down the road. As they toasted themselves around the fire in their new house.


Steve was right they were in it by spring, but spring was not here yet as he watched the shadows dancing from the inside of the house, Aunty M pacing the floor looking down the hall.  True she may have gotten two off her back looking down the road thinking of those IOU’s. Granny’s happy with Mr. Golden eyes and well let’s just says for now they are expecting something soon looking at Mr. Jaydan Faith and Lizzy, but that still leaves two ladies and a groom and they don’t know and one they don’t know who as Aunty M watching the shadows in her room every night as the wind blows.



****

 


“Are they coming?” Richard asked pacing the floor in the house looking down the road


“Yes son,” Ma hanging up the phone, Richard pulling out the list that Wayne gave him. Checking it twice then folding it back into his pocket, pacing a couple more times. Sighs with relief leaving the room and her standing there.  Richard has been working hard gathering things looking at the list. Most of the things were hard to find as he looked down the road and waits as he shakes his head. “Ma,” asked Richard. “Do you think he’ll like it?” placing the last of the packages underneath the tree.


“Yes, son” she smiles “they all will,” turning towards him as she looks him straight in the eye. Trying not to revile how nervous she actually is eyeing her purse with court documents inside, regarding EJ’s future and hopes and dreams for all of them.


Richard listening to every sound, pacing back and forth watching the clock on the wall as the small rooster chimes at the top of the hour, “They should have been here by now,” going to the window checking outside for any sign. Richards’s mother never seen him so uptight.


“Relax Richard the’ll be here” she replied.


“I know,” Richard looking towards the door, “its just been such a long time that’s all mother.”


Finally, they arrive pulling into the driveway Richard swing the door open. “Well its about time!!” looking at them with a questioning look. “What took you so long?” picking up Danny in his arms carrying him into the house.


Wayne turns to Richard and smiles, “sorry Richard didn’t know we were running late” slapping him on the back.


“Grandma, grandma.” Sam, Danny, and Ted running towards her.


“Come in; come in,” grandma said meeting them all inside the door with hug and kiss for each one. “Martha?” looking at her stomach “oh my dear. Yes, I see” as Wayne helps her slowly up the steps.


“Sorry, grandma takes me a bit longer these days” as she smiles.


“Its quite alright dear” Grandma watching Richard swing Danny on his shoulders and wrestling with Sam and Ted. “Now then,” taking everyone one's coats “I just made some hot chocolate,” handing each a nice hot cup. “Ahh that’s better,” Grandma setting back down in her favorite chair near the tree.


“Well don’t just stand there,” pointing to the living room Grandma rubbing her hands together pointing to the gifts under the tree laughing. 

The children rush to the living room “wow” they replied the children looking at all the packages. 


“What you think grandma forgot” as she laughs? “Not on your life,” giving a laugh and nod to Wayne and Martha giving them a sly wink. As grandma passes out all the present that Wayne and Martha had hidden away just for them. 


There were new dresses for the girls and hats for the boys. With everything, a child could possibly want and more as they open their presents. “Thanks, grandma” as Julie and puts on their new lockets with a picture of her inside and with a special note for each one. 


“Your welcome dear,” giving them each a kiss on the cheek and a warm smile.


“Now then,” Grandma said glancing over at Richard, “I believe he has something for the boys, but it's out in the shed,” Grandma gazing outside the window toward the old shed.


Richard smiles putting his arm around them that’s, “right mother I do” as he smiles.  Will, Robert and EJ with Danny on his shoulders head out to the shed with Sam and Ted right behind him. Richard opening the door watching them as their eyes go wide. Finding a brand new bike for each one of them with their name on it.


“WOW!!” watching their eyes go wide with excitement running to the bikes. “Really their ours?” they all ask.


“Ahuh, huh,” setting Danny down on his little green one. “You like them?” he asked.


As the boys rub their hands across the handlebars. “Do we?” with eyes big as saucers “do we ever” giving Richard a great big hug. 


Grandma and them watching the boys through the window. “Now that’s better” as grandma sighs with relief watching with a tear in her eye seeing the smiles on their faces.  “Theirs nothing like it Wayne, no siry bob.” looking out the window, “a boy is just got have a bike…their just lost without one.”


“I see what you mean,” Pa replied watching his boys ride their bikes up down the road.


“Now then Martha, Wayne...” Grandma feeling little-tired plumps back down in her chair.


“You don’t look so good are sure your alright?” Martha asks.


“I am fine just tired that’s all” as she pats her hand. “Martha,” Grandma said looking her straight in the eye, “me and you have some unfinished business,” as they both looked down the road.  Grandma pulled out a letter from the state, setting it on the table.


“Yes grandma we do,” taking Wayne’s, hand looking him in the eye. 


“You see,” Grandma said pointing to this here letter. “That our time is nearly up concerning Danny and his brother EJ.”


“Yes, I am where of that,” Martha said watching the boys outside.


“I did some checking,” said as grandma frowns. “They got us by the short hairs concerning Danny, but I did manage to find a couple of things regarding our other problem,” as she smiles. “Did you know that by law after he turns a certain age which is in a matter of a few days he can choose? That’s right Martha he can decide whether he wants to go home or stay, they can’t make him. But there are conditions.” Grandma said looks out the window. “Guidelines really if you think about it. Now then,” sitting back in her chair “it’s, up to him and us whether we meet those guidelines. Which could break us and lose everything that we worked so hard to get”….Which means,” patting Martha's hand, “we are in for some rough waters looking down the road because one of those guidelines is. …?”


Martha looks out the window watching Danny, “they can’t.” She replied.


“I’m afraid so,” Grandma said watching Danny from the window, “he has to there’s no other way.” 


“But that would mean?” Martha replied nearly in tears thinking about him giving up his little brother Danny and how it would break their hearts.


“Yes I know dear,” dabbing her eye, “and he must, they both have to.  But I got a plan,” as they watched Richard and the boys, “that may buy us some time,” as she tries to smile. “It just needs a little more time I think and some quick leg work on your part.” 


Placing the papers in front of them. “This will give the time we need,” as grandma points to the state papers. “They're not local so it will take awhile. At least another year I’m guessing, but it’s our only choice providing you still want to go through with it?” As they all watched outside.


“Of course we do,” Martha said taking Wayne's hand with resolution in her voice, “I, we have never been more certain,” Martha said wipes a tear from her eye. “It's just,” looking at Danny and the boys racing down the street, “Danny and they are so happy and now this,” Martha said pointing to the paper.


Grandma sighs, “I know dear, I know.”


Martha squeeze’s Wayne’s hand looking him straight in the eye as he nods, “Alright grandma you got us this far,” giving Martha a soft kiss on the head as they sign once more on the dotted line.


Grandma tries to smile folding the papers putting it back into her purse for safe keeping. “How soon grandma?”  Martha asks watching the boys racing.


“According to the letter the guidelines start around the first of the year.”


“I see,” as Martha dots her eye, “well then it doesn’t give us much time.”


“No, I am afraid not,” Grandma replied.



***

 


Walking down the hall of the boy’s room Linda pause just for a moment looking at the empty beds that await them, sighs sits on the bed looking down the road. Chills still run down her spine of that fate full night. “My poor boy, I do hope he is alright,” she whispers softly to herself.


Peggy seeing her mother in the room, “Mama please don’t cry,” putting her arms around her, “we're still here.”


“I know dear,” Linda said as Peggy leans on her mother shoulder.


“Danny will be home soon,” Peggy said looking at the bed, “and I’m sure where ever he is mama he’ll be just fine,” swallowing hard hoping he never comes back. For things or just fine without him.  “Why did he have to exist at all?” she said softly that only she could hear as she gazes out the window then turns her head staring at Donna in the kitchen.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

...Still reading by the way...

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


I am enjoying the story. I will return in a few days and read more. I have some time off. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Shep

5 Years Ago

you are always welcome

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 16, 2019
Last Updated on January 19, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..