Chapter 2-1

Chapter 2-1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 2-1


Robert watching EJ scratch himself said, “where did you get that?” Pointed to the wound on his arm?  EJ shrugged his shoulders with everything still a blur in his mind, trying to decide if it was just a dream as he scratched it some more. 


Ma yelling up to them, “come on boys, breakfast is getting cold.”


“Yes Ma,” they replied as the boys hurry to get ready for the day and school. Dressing quickly ran down the stairs, “morning Ma,” giving her a kiss on the cheek.


“Good morning boys,” as she leaned over pats each on the head. “Your breakfast is getting cold,” pointing to the table.


“Thanks, Ma,” they each replied.


Pa looked at the boys at the table as they yawned. “Long night?” he asked turned the page of his newspaper.


“I guess so Pa,” Robert answered.


“Yes quite storm I hear,” Aunty M said as the boys all turned watching Aunty M down her second cup.


EJ still scratching the mark on his arm at the table as Ma and Aunty M notice the new scar on his left arm. “EJ where did you get that?” Ma asked as she pointed to his arm.


EJ shrugged his shoulders, “I don’t know Ma,” looking at the mark on his arm. “It just itches that’s all,” scratching it one more time.


Ma takes a closer look shaking her head, “hum, must be an old wound,” grabbing some ointment and putting it on his arm.


“Thanks, Ma.”


“That’s should help,” she said as she rubbed it in reached down to kisses his cheek, “now stop scratching it.”


“I’ll try Ma,” he replied as she leaned over to kisses his cheek again.


Storms are like bad dreams as the boys watched the shadows on the walls, but some or nightmares as the boys looked at each other in silence at the table and at Aunty M helping Ma with breakfast, giving them each careful glance before they go off to school and a last look up the stairs. “You mind if I take the boys to school this morning Wayne?” she asked downing a third cup, “there something’s I need in town anyway.”


“No; that will be fine,” Pa looked up from his paper then turned towards Aunty M and a quick glance towards boys.  “Alright boys, go get your chores done.”


Yes Pa.” the boys replied. Aunty M and girls put a list together of the things they need from town while she there.


Aunty M making one last phone call before heading out the door, as she carefully glances at the shadows on the wall. “Hello, Reggie is everything alright down there?” She asked as she turned her head towards the kitchen window on the farm.  “I see all quiet. Almost to quiet you say?" 


“Yes, everything fine down here, couple bumps here and there nothing … to get real excited over,” she said trying to keep it casual, quickly gazing over at Martha.  “No, she fine,” Aunty M whispers over the phone, “Reggie and boys say hello dear,” as she smiles back.  “I am glad yes. Just wanted to check, thanks dear, I’ll see you in the spring. Bye now give my love to my grandson… alright.” As she hung up the phone thinking of Morgan visits and threats on her own life and the ones she loves.


“Aunty M everything alright?” Martha asked while watching her pour another cup of Joe.


“Humm, what did you say dear?”


“Everything alright?”  Martha asks again.


“Fine Martha everything just fine, in fact.” Trying to smile, “they're better than fine. Reggie says your cotton doing so well that they barely have enough room to put it all. Thinking of which dear,” Aunty M said looking from the window towards Wayne. “Wayne, how are you and the boys doing with that shop of heir’s?  Now that things have settled down some,” Aunty M asks.


“Mr. Stringum and the boys just installed the counter last week Aunty M. I believe,” Wayne said putting down his paper, “that I should be done with those shelves sometime by the end of the week.”


“Good,” Aunty M rubs her hands together, “because I am tired of sitting around here waiten,” as she laughed slapping him on the back. “And poor Martha,” staring at her stomach “is about to pop.”


Martha laughed, “You can say that again,” rubbing her stomach sitting back in the chair.  Wayne leaned over and kisses his poor wife whispering how much he loves her as she squeezes his hand.

“I know dear,” tries to smile. “I just wish that the baby was here now,” rubbing her stomach. “Looking at the work we have to do,” she said as she gazed out the window looking down the road. 


Wayne rests a hand on her shoulder, “don’t worry dear, theirs still time,” and sighs looking at the clock above the fireplace. “Well Aunty M if you are going take the boys to school,” pointing to the clock, “you better get cracken.” 


“Oh my!” Aunty M grabbed the list and her coat and yelled for the boys, “come on boys, we got to go.”


They all piled in the car headed down the road for school and town as Ma waved them on by the door. “I wonder what that was all about Wayne?” as she watches them go. Wayne shrugged his shoulders, walked back into the house closed the door.


“Alright boys,” Aunty M seeing they are a safe distance from the farm turned off the road gazing down at EJ. “We have a problem,” looking into his eyes, “don’t we?” She said as she pulled the car to one side for a moment, so she can turn around to look at them.


Robert and Will looked out the window towards the farm then nodded.  “But the question is Aunty M, how do we solve it? Come on… who’s going to believe us?” Robert asked as they look at each other.


“Your folks might for one,” Aunty M starting up the car headed to the school, “and there’s me, but I’m just an old woman by some standers,” she said as she tries to smile. “But right now I think your Ma has enough to worry about,” giving a quick glance at Robert and Will. “Best to keep what we know to ourselves for the moment.   Which isn’t very much I am afraid,” as she tries to put a smile on EJ’s face. 


“So what are suggesting we do?” Will asked.


“Start gathering information, and be on the lookout for anything strange… and maybe we can head it off. Now then I have a lot to do and have some friends and contacts of my own,” pulling into the parking lot, tapping her purse. “For now will be on our guard,” giving EJ a squeeze. “You see my boys, your Aunty M is not as dumb as they think,” as she nods gazing into his eyes smiles.  “Now then you boys keep a close eye on him and will chat later,” she said leaving them standing by the wayside waving.


Will, Robert and EJ look at each other watched her go. “Robert?” EJ asked.


“Yes EJ?”


"What contacts is she referring to? And how do we gather information about shadows and ghost?” EJ asked.


Robert shrugged his shoulders. “I have no idea EJ,” putting his arm around him, “but I do know one thing,” looking down the road and looking over at Will, “we're not leaving your side.”


“Amen to that brother,” Will said putting his arm around the other side picked up their school books.


Class resumed as normal with a few minor changes as the boys picked there seats closer to EJ and near the back of the room like most boys do.  Peter and the boys joining them throughout the day. “Man, that was some storm last night,” overhearing Frank and Mark talking.


“Yea, Pa said it blew down a couple of trees in the south pasture and tore through some of the fences too,” Mark says agreeing with his brother Peter.


“What about your place?” Peter asks Will and Robert.


“Just a few shingles and blew a couple of our chickens around that’s all we could see,” Robert trying to make light conversation.  “More noise than anything I reckon,” Will said looking at EJ concerned face.


“Robert, did you hear that?” EJ asked.


They both nod, “probably nothing but ordinary storm EJ, happens all the time around these parts.”


EJ remembering the trees and bushes he was hiding in, “that couldn’t be? Na,” looking over his shoulders then scratched his arm.


“EJ”… Robert notices.


“I know… but it itches,” looking at the long red mark against his skin.


The storm was the talk of the school as the boys went on with their class. Some had broken windows and falling tree limbs, but other than a few missing shingles nothing too exciting, just something to talk about other than boring school and talking about winter break.  As the boys filed to their seats into the music room one by one the room was all abuzz as they entered seeing the note on the board.


Aunt Lizzy walks into the classroom, “good afternoon boys and girls,” passing out the music folders down the row, “my name is Mrs. Lizzy Dragren. I will be subbing for Mr. Faith this week as he is attending to some urgent business and has been called away at the last minute.” Lizzy smiles seeing the boys and nods to them.  “So then if you have any question please feel free to ask me after class, and I will do my best to answer them.”  Taking his wand standing in front and a quick nod to the piano, class began as usual except for…. The boys wondered what kind of business Mr. Faith had to attend to.


* * * *



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on February 16, 2019
Last Updated on January 19, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep