Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 4


“Well bless my soul if isn't? No, it couldn’t be? It is Mrs. Collins.” Martha replied.


Mrs. Collins seeing Martha coming down the street, “hello dear how are you?” Mrs. Collins asked.


“Fine, and you Mrs. Collins?”  Martha asked.


“Just fine, things couldn't be better,” seeing Julie, “and you dear child I must say you geten prettier every day according to my son Bill that is. Heck, that's all he seems to talk about anymore. My goodness, Martha looks like you're about to pop,” looking down at her stomach.


Martha laughs, “Feels like it to sometimes.”


“So when are you due dear?” Mrs. Collins asked.


“Spring,” as she sighs, “and I can't wait to tell you the truth, this waiting around is for the birds.”


“Well, you just hang in there. It will be here before you know it.”


“I hope so,” looking down at her stomach.


“Well, we mustn't keep ya, dear. I am busy women ya know,” as she smiles, “if  you need anything just give me a holler you hear.” Mrs. Collins replied as she leaves and waves further down the street.


“Let's see we need Martha?” Aunty M looking down the list. “5 bunches of ...Isn't that the nice shade of green in the window,” Aunty M asked as Julie looks at the spring dress? Oh my Martha hold on dear,” Aunty M seeing her about to pass out, “Julie quick find Doc Whitmore. Anna stay here while I find your mother a chair,” she replied.


“Martha I told you not to overdo it,” as Doc comes running down the street.


Martha shakes her head. “I'm fine Doc, just not used to this that's all.”


As Doc looks her over shaking his head, “best we get you back to the house,” he said.


Martha looks up at them, “are you nuts; I just a little winded that's all, just give me a second,” taking some deep breaths. As they watched the color return to her face and sigh with relief. “Stop cuddling me I'm fine,” Martha trying to stand up with little help. “Now then we're here to shop let's shop,” Martha pulling out the list.


“Besides it been two whole months since I have seen my little shop, so if you don't mind?” Martha pulling Aunty M by the sleeve, “we are not leaving until I have least seen it.”


Aunty M shrugged her shoulders, “alright Doc, looks like we're not done yet,” giving Martha questionable look, “but don't you dare go too far.”


“Don't worry.” as he rubs his chin, “I am not leaving until this woman is home where she belongs. Stubborn as an ox just like the rest of her family,” laughing sling the stool over his back.


“Thanks, Doc, I think ”Martha replied.


“Don't worry Martha. Doc Hatfield warned me about you and how stubborn you can be” as he smiles, “not that I’d figured most of that out for myself mind ya,” as he laughed. “And your husband too. But I'll be darn if you aren't the orneriest woman next to my wife when comes to get things her way and I mean that in the nicest way,” putting his arm around her.


“Hey now Doc, those are fighting words,” as Martha tries to laugh thinking about Rena how much she misses having her around. “Say Doc, were having a little get together tonight, say around 
6 o'clock nothing special. Why don't you bring everyone by for supper? Love to have you and Rena and the boys over for a while. Be like old times.”


Martha seeing the little shop just head stops and sighs looking around the little town. “We sure have come along ways Aunty M since Downing Villa,” looking at all the little shops with glass window storefronts.


Julie and Anna looking at all the people pass them by with little hand baskets, going under the little wooden signs. “Yes, Ma can you believe it? now we have a shop of our own,” looking at that little storefront that says Downing and Whitmore's Fabric Mills with little sign in the corner opening soon. On the corner Megs Dress Shop and Bert's Candy and Toys. Across the street the New Post Office and Paper Office. Yes, sir things where looking up… down in New Downing on 
3rd street.


They walked across the street to their shop opening the door so Martha could see the shop and all its glory. The new counter that Stringum and the boys have made with it glass wooden casing and smooth long counter-top for cutting fabric.


The shelves were all in and placed waiting for the inventory and the staining of the wood and painting of the interior. Martha’s window was just missing the curtains she was sewing at home, they were nearly done. Yes, this was her dream shop Wayne and the boys have done her proud as she looked around the room it brings a tear to her eye. “Now I can go home Aunty M,” as she takes a deep sigh. Doc sets the stool down so she can sit awhile Aunty M and Julie loads the buggy as they help her into the buggy and wave to Doc. “Thanks, see you later,” as they head back towards the farm Martha shouting, “6 o'clock now,” as she waved to remind him.


Martha rubbed her stomach as they turned the bend two-thirds of the way from the farm. “O my,” leaning back just little then, “O my” as her face starts to stricken a little “Aunty M we best hurry.” Seeing the farm just up ahead “O my” as Martha screams little more.


Aunty M flicked reins of the buggy, “hang on dear, we’re almost there.”


Martha barely holding on “O my” as they go through the gate of the farm, Aunty M yelled for 
Wayne, Wayne dashed out of the house as Martha screams, “O MY,” looking at him “its time dear.”


"Now?" he replied. Martha nods her head, holding her breath as Aunty M starts screaming orders to the girls.


“Well, son don't just stand there,” Aunty M helping Martha into the house quick as possible down the hall. Julie on the phone, Anna grabbing sheets and quilts running up down the hall.


“Doc come quick,” Julie replied.


“What? Now?” As Doc, he dropped the phone grabbed his bag and a fresh horse from the stable.


The boys getting off the bus as they walked into the house seeing the house in a panic. Pa yelling, “it’s your Ma, she says it's time boys.”


“Now?” They replied.


“Now!” As he quickly nods running pass them running up the stairs for more sheets.

Doc flying down the road as fast he can enter the farm running into the house seeing the boys standing there, “best you boys go out to the barn for a while,” he replies.


Pa handing them the two boys “thanks.” Before running into the Doc.


Doc and Pa running into the bedroom where Ma is. Julie and Anna bring in more hot water from the kitchen. Ma looks at Pa and Aunty M in the room. “Sorry 
Wayne,” as she looks into his eyes, “I had to go look, that's all O My.”


Wayne bends down kisses her head, “its alright dear, we’ll be fine.”


As she nods, “O my” I forgot to tell you, “O my” shop looks great.”


Aunty M trying to shhh her, “come on dear.”


Doc makes her more comfortable. “Now breathe Martha,” he said.


“Are you kidding Doc” that's what I am doing, O my.”


The boy's and their sisters pacing in the barn waiting for Pa and Aunty M. “What's taking so long,” Robert asked wringing his hands through his hair looking towards the house.


Julie and Anne pacing around their brothers and trying to keep Sam and Ted occupied petting the horses. “Robert it takes as long as it takes,” Julie said.


Anna thinking of Ned then looked towards the house, “this not the time for things like this.” Stumping her foot, “O my Ned!!” Julie?”


“Yes, Anna?”


“We have a mess on our hands.”


“Huh what mess? Ma having baby that's all,” looking towards the house.


“Yes I know that, but Ma told Ned and them to come for supper tonight.”


Julie's face went white “what? Now?” Looking towards the house, “your joking? He can't not now!”


Robert glanced over at Anna, “did you say Ma asked him to dinner tonight?” Anna and Julie nod. “Good grief, what else could go wrong?” As they all look towards the house.


Aunty M wiped the sweat off Martha's face, “you're doing fine dear,” Wayne holding her hand Martha nods looks at Doc and Wayne calming her down some, “that's better.”


As Martha relaxes a bit. “I really am sorry dear,” Martha looking at his worried face.


“It's alright Martha dear, you're doing fine,” As he pats her hand.


“But dear we can't have this baby yet.” Martha said turning to Doc. “O my ...”


“Shhh, course we can,” looking straight at her... As if she has lost it completely... “Martha we can and we will now stop fussing...” he said.


“But Doc?” Martha shaking her head, “we can't,” glancing over at Aunty M “I have guests coming for dinner.”


Wayne looked at her as if she just fell out of a tree rolls his eyes. “Shhh now,” shaking his head, “you can't be serious?” Kisses her gently on the cheek.


“But I do dear.”


Wayne looked at his wife then at Aunty M “she joking right?”


Doc laughed. “I am one of them, but it looks like I'm already here. Now then let's say we have a baby, shall we? Come on Martha you can do it.” 


Martha tries to laugh looking at Aunty M for help. Aunty M just smiles, “you let me worry about that dear,” glancing over at Wayne. “Now come on let's do this.”


Doc helping her long, “almost there,” "Slap" handing the baby to Martha wrapping the bouncing baby girl into a clean quilt and placing her into Martha's arms. “See I knew you could do it,” Doc laughed washing his hands. Looking at the little tiny face now in Martha's arms. “Now then,” shaking 
Wayne's hands, “congratulations are in order I think,” and a pat on the back. “Looks like another girl in the family.”


“Thanks, Doc.”


“Oh shucks just doing my job for my best friends, you know that. Now then Margaret it looks like we have some work to do,” as they all stare at Martha, “and you dear need to stay in that bed for at least a couple of days. I'll take a rain check on that dinner party as he laughs, but it will give me an excuse to come by and check on you and bring by an old friend…. Now then.” putting his things away, “you think you might behave yourself?” He asked.


“Yes, Doc and thanks,”
Wayne giving him one more pat on the back.


“Your welcome” Doc said as Wayne watched him leave walked out to the barn where the children are.


“It’s alright kids,” as they all gather around 
Pa. The children were jumping up and down asking questions. “Its girl, you have a new baby sister.” He watched his boys and his daughters all run to the house to see her, swinging open the door.


Aunty M stops them at the front door, “Shhh now,” trying to calm the children down. “You can see her,” looking at their excited face, “but one at a time, and not for very long your mother needs her rest.”


Aunty M quietly takes each of the children in the room to see their new baby sister. She had the deepest bluest eyes and little dimple on her chin when she smiled and a little pudgy nose when it wrinkled when she laughed. Her whole face lit up when she smiled. She had little brown spurts of brown hair on the top of her head. They named her Jessica, little Jess for short, she was their little angel.


Aunty M shoving the children out the room so Ma could rest as Pa brought down the bassinet placed it next to her. We were now a family of three girls and five boys a perfect number in their mind a little family by their standards.


Aunty M in the kitchen with the girls helping fix the family meal as the boys set the table. Nearly forgetting everything that was happening around them tell there was a knock at the door. “Hello Granny, Ned,” as Pa answered the door.


Aunty M nearly knocked over the rolls onto the floor seeing Mr. G standing in the doorway gasping. “Guests… I nearly forgot,” Aunty M looked down the hall towards Martha's room and the baby's.
Wayne looked as surprised as a wild cat on hot Sunday brunch. Granny and Ned were watching Aunty M from the corner of the kitchen. “Sorry Wayne,” wiping her hands on the apron. “Martha did try to tell us and I forgot with all the excitement.”


“I see,” trying to be polite looked down the hall. “Now's not the time for guests Aunty M,” he whispered back.


“I know, but we invited them, I should say we both did,” whispering back.


Ned was staring at Anna and her staring back at him. Aunty M and Wayne
trying to figure out what to do as more guests arrive at the door. Julie answered the door seeing Aunt Lizzy and Mr. Faith. Aunty M nearly losing it nearly pulled her faults teeth out looking down the hall. “What on earth are we going to do” as she watched all these people and who some of them are and the secrets they hold that only she knew. No. Things were not looking good as she silently sighs?



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

68 Views
Added on February 16, 2019
Last Updated on January 20, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep