Chapter 8-1

Chapter 8-1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 8-1


Ned and Mr. G are sprucing up the place for Granny as she sat on the front porch watching, doing some needlepoint.  Aunty M waved as she gets out of the car walked over to them. “Nathaniel mind if we walk a bit?”


He hasn’t been called that in a long time as he looked at Granny and Ned and nods. “What’s on your mind, Margaret?”  He asked as he looked down deep into her eyes, seeing how worried she was.


“It's regarding this position you put me in, what I can do and what I can’t do.  Right now Morgan has escaped and taken EJ and now that Will and Robert or mixed deep into the thick of things and I have two sets of parents breathing down my neck looking for some answers that I can’t give them, and will be asking those boys those same questions. I was wondering if you could help me out a little and take some of the stress off these boys.”


”Like what? You know I can’t bend the rules and neither can you as hard as it may seem.”


“I know, but there’s got to be away, they're not asking for much. Just an explanation of how a person got out of a room without leaving a trail that’s all. After all, Morgan is part human, mostly isn’t he?” Margaret said looking into his eyes.


“True. He is of that. Flesh and bones with a lot of skill in black shadow magic.”


Well, couldn’t you and Jaydan put on a magic show of your own in front of them leaving them spell bond? That should get the boys off their back long enough to continue the search.”


“I guess we could, buts it's risky stretching the rules like that.”


“Yes, but if ya don’t it. It could cost us if we don’t continue the search and we must capture Morgan and destroy him this time. Who knows how many followers he has. Did you know Mr. Barns is missing too? That makes two more on the list we didn’t know about, who’s next Nathaniel? I ask you who’s next on his list?  It could be you or me because we know too much; no we have to risk it.” Margaret replied. “By the way nice job with the boys even though it worried their parents to death,” Margaret said as she looks down the road.


“Sorry, I had nothing to do with it. That was Jaydan and Jeff’s doing I’m afraid.” Nathaniel looked into the shadows. “You see that’s not my part of the job, I could not help them. My talents lay elsewhere when it comes in helping out, soon you to will understand,” as he looks towards Granny and Ned up ahead. “But for now. I’ll do my part and find Jaydan put on this little magic show of yours.” rolling his eyes. “Hoping it will help them in their search. For now, our secrets must remain hidden in shadows of time itself,” he said left her standing there, walked back to Granny and Ned.


“The three of them looks so happy together if you forget who he actually is. Do they know he’s the man called Death? I wonder?” As she watched him gather around them. Aunty M gets back in the car heads back to the farm as a horse nearly broadsides her coming into the farm. Mr. Faith climbing down from his horse looked over to Aunty M getting mad and riled up as he ties his horse up to the fence.


Jaydan calmly walked over to her looks deeply in her eyes, “Sorry Margaret, but I got news and it can’t wait,” he said looking back towards the house.


“What news?” She asked as he left her standing knocking on the door. 


Julie answered the door yelling to Ma and them in the kitchen. “It’s Mr. Faith,” trying to give him a smile at lest.


“I am sure I’m the last person you want to see right now, but I’ve got news,” as Aunty M makes it to the door shows him in.


“It’s all right Martha, Linda. I trust him for the moment,” giving him a questioning look, showing him to the couch in the living room. “Alright, let's hear this news and it better be good, considering how much hot water these boys are in right now.” Not smiling with arms crossed staring him down.


Mr. Faith tries to smile. “They have found Mr. Barns and Mr. Well’s days ago.”


“Who did Mr. Faith? Who found them?” Martha asked Aunty M swallowed hard watching the room come slowly to a boil.


“Some friends of mine, Mr. Barns was found dead and Wells was still alive in Morgan cell,” carefully glancing over toward Aunty M in the corner. They found Well’s in his chains cold turkey like, it was hours before he woke up.”


Linda and Martha's gasp looked at each other as they think of EJ, “do you think he has him chained up somewhere as well?” Linda asked.


Mr. Faith nods his head, “and I think the boys were about to discover where Mrs. Downing and Mrs. Stuart. They were close on his trail and I think, knowing your boys they won't quit until they find him. They just need a little bit more time and some more help that’s all.” Jaydan looks around the room to see how his news took or if it took off any pressure off the room or him, seeing a little daylight from the news.  


Linda and Martha stared at each other then back at him. “We have one question… a simple question really that’s been puzzling us. How did you and he get out of the room without leaving a trail behind you to follow?” Linda asked staring him down, waiting for an answer.


Jaydan swallowed hard, “by magic ma’ am of the purest kind. It was all done by an illusion and trickery, sleight of hand.” Jaydan said looked to Margaret for some help.


“Yes, Linda, Martha I was in town asking those same questions to a friend of mine and he said he would agree to demonstrate how it was done with Jaydan help of course.”


Margaret stared back at Jaydan as he swallowed hard. Whispered to her, “are sure about this Margaret?” He asked.


“Sorry, there’s no other way, deal with it the best you can, what’s done is done.”


Jaydan watched the room watch him, waiting for an answer he sighs. “Yes ladies, if it will help, I will astound you with a little magic tonight on one condition, you go easy on the boys. After all, they were only trying to help find their brother before the trail gets cold.” Not divulging anything that’s necessary that would bring up more questions for the boys. Not risk everything for the moment. “Now then I have some more errands to run before tonight if you don’t mind?” As he stands heads for the door, “but I will be back.” he bowed to the ladies in the room with a wink.


Jaydan closed the door behind him hopped on his horse headed on back down the road, to speak with Nathaniel about tonight and bring him the news. “That’s right we found him dead in the corridor, Mr. Barns looks like he was strangled to death,  Mr. Wells was left in his cell bound in his chains unconscious, we think EJ might be in a cell somewhere like that. We just don’t know where or how many followers he has protecting him. But we know one thing. He is topside for now at least and here in this world we believe, but we are still searching the undergrounds just in case and some of his old haunts.” Jaydan replied.


“There is still one more person missing we haven’t seen for a while, Mrs. Destiny Morning,” Jaydan said as he passed on the news in greater detail than he told at Downing farm.


“What mean she still missing?” Nathaniel implies as he asks.


“We haven’t seen or heard from her in days according to Jasmine. I wonder where she could be? You don’t think she's turned do you... not her?” Jaydan asked.


Nathaniel looked back at Granny’s house, “I don’t know what to think at this point, my friend. Morgan has changed everything I knew that was true. Far as I know, we could be next,” he said with sorrow in his eyes. “After all we are the ones that have to destroy him and soon. If we don’t, then everything we hold onto in this world and the next is lost.”


“I hate delivering bad news,” Jaydan said looks west towards Provo. “Well, my friend I guess I’ll see you tonight,” trying to smile, “we have a show to put on, I just hope it helps our boys in questioned.” With that Jaydan went into the shadows where no one can see him opens a gateway to Jasmine as he looks around the room. Where she is buried once more in the paperwork of daily lives, he startles her.


“Jaydan don’t do that.” looking up from her desk, “someone might see you,” Jasmine said looking around the corners.


Jaydan tries to smile, “I brought you news, not good news I am afraid, but news you need to hear.” As he gazes about the room checking to see if the coast is clear and decides it is, but not taking any chances. He placed a ward of silence around them against prying ears… “We found your two partners, I am afraid Mr. Barns is dead he was a follower of Morgan. We also found Mr. Wells. He’s alive for the moment under questioning in his cell bond in Morgan chains, unconscious at the time.”


Jasmine's face went white daring to speak the words, “he had escaped then?”


Jaydan nods his head. “That’s not all. He has taken the boy as well. It has been three days now.”


What? What do you mean three days? Linda just called me told me he was at the Downing’s? Your telling me, he’s been kidnap by Morgan?” She replies in shock.


Jaydan nods. “Why am I the last person to know these things?” Jasmine asked getting hot under the collar, “It's bad enough I haven’t heard from my friend Mrs. Destiny Morning. Now you tell me that Mr. Barns. Who I never liked is dead and Mr. Wells I am sure I even want to know and believe he was a follower. Then to make things worse Morgan has escaped taking the boy who knows where.”  She replied skeptical and hurt by the news now reaching her.


Jasmine tries to digest it all looking into the shadows of the room. “There’s more isn’t there?” Waiting for the other shoe to drop.


Jaydan slowly nods his head tells her about the boy’s adventure traveling with Jeff through time watching her face filled with fear.  “Now Nathaniel and I have to put on a magic act tonight to try to get the boys out of hot water so they can resume the search again before time runs out.”


“Your joking, a magic act, please…! You couldn’t pull a rabbit out of your hat. Sounds like you might need little luck to pull this one off,” shaking her head. “I might as well come along and stir the pot a little and make sure you do it right. After all, there are some question of my own I like to ask and those I can find down there at the Downing’s,” putting EJ folder in her briefcase, “should we say 6 o’clock. Gives me a chance to clean up a bit and make a phone call to let them know I am coming for dinner.  Now go. I am a busy woman,” she said picking up the phone.


Jaydan slides back into the shadows thinking “not a bad idea. Bring a few extra guests, it might help. It might take off the stress in the room,” as he walks out of the shadows near Lizzy knocks on the door. “Hello, dear feel like going to a party?” As he kisses her on the cheek handing her a rose.


“I guess so, why?” She asked


“Well. Nathaniel and I are putting on a magic show, that’s all dear and thought maybe you like to come.”


“A magic show? I didn’t know you could do magic.”


“Oh yes dear, now hurry up and change why I call to tell them and tell them were coming.” First making a phone call over to Granny’s house inviting all them before calling Martha. “That’s right were all coming, me and Lizzy Granny, Ned and Nathaniel around 6 o’clock, do you want us to bring anything? Will do that.”


Jaydan hung up the phone, running to the kitchen making a quick salad, why Lizzy changed into her party clothes. Jaydan grabbing some of her rolls made for tonight, putting them in a basket. “Ready dear?” Jaydan called into the house as he pulled around the buggy.


“Yes Jaydan,” as she takes his hand helping her into the buggy. He does a silly laugh that makes her smile as she realizes within a days time they will be married. They headed on down the road towards the Downing farm with Nathaniel and his party right behind him. Their other guest was running a little late it seems, but she wasn’t far behind as Martha and Linda stew of her coming out to the farm and what she is going to find.


“Alright girls best behavior,” Linda said giving them one last warning look before going downstairs.


“Yes, mother we know.”  The girls replied sourly. Also knowing they are in enough trouble. They didn’t need anymore especially here, as Peggy gave argumentative sigh.


The girls helped them set the table while the guests mingled in the living room among themselves. While Mrs. Jennings pulled into the farm knocked on the door. Martha opens the door showing her in, taking her jacket leads her to the living room where everyone’s at.


Jaydan and Nathaniel quickly smile as she walked in the room, “well we thought what the heck… we might as well make a party out of it. The more the merrier we thought.”


“I see that,” Mrs. Jennings tries to smile back as she looked around the room noticing the extra guests. The biggest surprise to her was when Linda walked in announcing dinner was ready then seeing the two girls helping, bring food and placing it on the table.


Wayne brought the boys down the stairs for dinner in a somber mood as everyone took their places.  Mrs. Jennings tries not to act surprised not seeing EJ as the seat is empty, but a place setting was set just in case around the table.


The boys just slowly bowed their heads, picking at their food as they listened to the conversation around them. Until Mrs. Jennings breaks the ice too stirs the air a bit with a little magical luck with a simple placed wave of air with her fingers unnoticed.  “I understand Linda that EJ is missing,” Pointing to the empty chair and places setting and turning her head towards the boys as too acknowledge to them she knows what’s been going on.


Linda and Martha take a hard swallow before answering, “Yes, he was taken from us.” Linda replied as she bowed her head without giving her any eye contact. 


Martha reached over to pat Linda’s hand to comfort her “it wasn’t her fault Mrs. Jennings; Morgan did it right out of his room. We have been searching for him ever since, Mrs. Jennings all of us together.” Martha patted Linda’s hand again.


“I see.” Do you know who this Morgan is or where he might have taken EJ?” She asked.


Linda and Martha shake their heads no while looking down at their plates then look towards Jaydan across from them. “We were hoping they might know the answer,”  Martha replied. 


“I can tell you this, I knew of a man that posed great skill in the dark arts of magic and illusion with many followers matching this description. I’ve been told he has red eyes long boney fingers and a scare on his left cheek. He wears dark clothing to hide himself in darkness. He is cold and rueful to his victims; it gives him greatest joy to his victims as they suffer and suffering he has caused other people. He’ll stop at nothing to get what he wants, no matter where he is. Deception is one of his greatest skills.


“He is real ladies and a nasty creature that’s for sure. It’s going to take more than hope and a promise to find him, it's going to take luck and courage to face him. Then when you find that boy, if you find him, it's going to take a lot of love to bring him back from where he's been. For the place he’s at, it is the worst place you could possibly imagine. It could be many months or years before he won’t be afraid of his own shadow, worst in some places he comes across.” 


Mrs. Jennings turned to faces, Linda. “Mr. Barns pushed him too far too soon, I knew better this was not a good idea. It was too long of a visit for him Linda and you and I knew it. But that’s water under the bridge. We can’t go back and fix it, can we? All we have is now. 


“So the best thing we can do for EJ is let these boys continue what they started. I to believe he is running out of time. We must find him by whatever means possible,” As she turns her head towards Jaydan and Nathaniel, “but with lots of love and understanding plus a little white magic of our own if you don’t mind.” Looking towards Robert and Will and all the faces around the room and turning back to Jaydan and Nathaniel. Put the ball back into their court for the moment as she wiped her chin with her napkin, stirring the luck in the air again for good measure.


The boys question how a few card tricks are going to help their situation? Looking up the stairs wishing EJ was home right now and this was just a bad dream.  Everyone headed for the living room for dessert and magic as Nathaniel and Jaydan quickly change into their customs to make it little more fun.  For magic only works if you truly believe the impossible as they nod to the boys taking their seats with Pa right beside them.


Jaydan does a lightening trick in the air as they watch it flash about them in the room one of them quickly hides in the shadows of the room unseen while the crowd busily watched the lightning. When it stops they all gasp wondering where he went as the more lightning fills the air with coldness and currents of wind sweeps the room as if they were standing outside in approaching storm. Nathaniel returns to the same spot as the lightning stops and the wind dies down around them.


“That’s how folks Morgan was able to leave the room, now for the boys it was simple; they climb down from the second broken window that Morgan’s lightening shattered. Where my horse was waiting and they tried to follow Morgan on foot; where you found the boys at the tree house near the creek bed by the underpass. Isn’t that right boys?” Jaydan said turning towards them, then glanced over at Wayne.


“That’s right Pa, every word. We climbed down the window using his horse. Morgan jumped through the other broken window because the other one was too high with EJ in his arms. He couldn’t do it. And since Mr. Faith horse was around the back of the house it was easier to get out and go after him.” Robert replied as tries to tell the story the three of them cooked up. After all, it was better than saying Jaydan opened a door in mid-air and they went through it traveling through time. No way was that story ever going to work, too much impossibility for them to see it that was the truth and believe it.


Jaydan turned to Martha, Linda, and Wayne, “I realize that’s a lot to take in at the moment, but how else can you explain it? We are just simple folk just like you,” glancing at the boys and Margaret. “Its not if we can produce secret doorways now.” Jaydan laughed “that would be impossible,” as Jaydan tries to roll his eyes to be convincing.


Barbra giving him a hard cold stare, “that’s right that would be impossible, were just simple folk that’s all, we just know more than others that’s all,” as she looked around the room hoping her luck still holds true. “It's all illusion as you can see” as she tries to smile at Linda and Martha and everyone in the room. 


“The shadows can hide much when you're not looking, but Morgan is real, part shadow and person I ‘m afraid and he’s got the boy hidden deep somewhere and that’s real enough.” She then paused for a moment carefully adding a little luck spell around the group for additional insurance.


“Linda I am glad you are here frankly, I believe it will give you some support which you are longing for and you might learn a thing or two from Martha and hope you become good friends for EJ’s sake. Maybe the girls will learn a lot to while they're here, by working hard, sharing some of the load. Since the boys here will be busy doing other things plus going to school, I don’t want their school work falling behind.


“Nothing I can do, but hope and pray for EJ to be found quickly,” putting on her jacket as she sighs. “But remember what I said. When we do find him… Don’t expect too much out of him, just give him lots of love and patients for time heals most things, but memories never die. They simply fade into shadows of time,” as Barbara closed the door behind her.


Everyone taking their queue, it was time to leave, Lizzy giving the boys a hug and kiss on the cheek.  “Now don’t stray too far,” shaking her finger at them.


“Yes ma’am, we promise,” they each said looking over at Ma and Pa.


Don’t worry Martha, Linda will find him and soon I hope,” Lizzy giving them each a hug taking Jaydan hand as they to leave out the door.


Granny simply walked up to them. “You got that right when I get my hands on that man… he’ll be possum dinner.”


Nathaniel smiles at Granny and Ned as he looked at Anna across the room. “Yes, we will find him somehow. I know it deep inside,” as he looks towards the windows, “he’s out there waiting for us.  I just know it,” as he tips his hat walked his little family out the door.


Martha, Wayne, and Linda watched everyone leave the farm. “Well, that went fairly well,” Aunty M slapping Wayne on the back nearly knocking the wind out of him.


“How do mean?” Linda turned around to face her. Then back down the road before closing the door.


“I was just saying nobody got hurt that’s all, nobody’s pride that is,” Aunty M lookin at Martha and Linda. “My question is do we listen and take their advice or not and let these boys keep on searching? After all what harm can it do if you keep them close to ya? I say if they know something we don’t. Then we are stupid not to let them try. Like they said Linda it was old parlor trick is how he and they got out the room. Have you known your boys to lie Martha? I didn’t think so. So I say trust them now for peat sake, see where it leads us.  Because right now we have a whole lot of nothing and they are right time is short we need to find him and soon.”  



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
Added on February 17, 2019
Last Updated on January 20, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep