Chapter 9

Chapter 9

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 9


Wayne looked upstairs where his boys are and sighs, “alright Aunty M will try it your way for now. But trust me. I’ll be keeping a very close eye on them this time and your friends. Something tells me they are not who they say they really are,” giving her a hard stare. “And they can't-fool me with a bunch of parlor tricks, no matter how fancy they were. There’s something more they are not telling me and I amine to find out,” as he looked towards the windows.


Wayne they told ya, dear, they're just simple folk just like us nothing more. What more could they have shown you that they haven’t shown you?”  Martha asked.


“I don’t know Martha…just gut feeling that’s all.”


“Look it’s been a long day for all of us... the girls and I will clear things away. Then we will go up apologize to the boys and hear their side of the story and give them a chance to explain before we tuck them into bed. So for right now, go out and finish the chores.” Martha said pushed him towards the door as Linda pushed the girls into the kitchen with Martha and Aunty M right behind her.


“Martha he is right about one thing. Something did happen it wasn’t just un-Illusion. The question is what? Those boys and Mr. Faith were gone for three days. We had search parties looking all over and they slip by them until now. My question is how and why? And what and where were they hiding?” Linda asked as she looks up top of the staircase.


Aunty M took a hard swallow. “Now listen to you two, those boys were most likely too caught up in the search for their brother and didn’t realize that someone was looking for them. You have your why's and your how's Linda, Martha... it is all in the clothing that will never come clean. They have been searching in every dark ally, every ditch, canal, weeds and dark place they could think of in these parts that he’s been in. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have a question of their own if given them the chance.


“You said it yourself, their good boys that we should trust them. Well follow your own advice and do just that. Trust them now. Instead of tying them up in their rooms where they are no good to any of us, let them be part of the search with no strings attached. Give them the help they need is all their asking for and a caring heart.  Now I’ve said my peace that’s all I am going to say… If you need me you’ll know where I’ll be.” Aunty M climbed the stairs to her bedroom closed the door behind her.


“Martha she is right, we are being too hard on the boys”, Linda said putting the last dish away in the cabinets. “We can’t just lock them up, we need their help if we're going to find my son.”


Martha nods her head looking towards the window as Wayne makes it back to the house, “I agree Linda we do need their help and yours if we ever going to find him.  Because when we do find him, it’s going to take the two of us to put him back together again after what Morgan has done to him. Just thinking about it ties knots in my stomach,” as they both look out the window into the shadows. 


Martha puts the baby down in the crib before going upstairs with Wayne to the boy’s room. Bring them all together into one room. “Apparently Robert, Will we haven’t heard your side of the story in this,” Pa said as they sit on the bed with them. “Well, we're willing to hear you out now,” as he looks them straight in the eye.


“It was just like Mr. Faith said Pa. We saw something in the sky and heard it scream. It looked like a black shadow with huge wings and a long neck hovering above EJ’s house, we took off running towards it that’s when Mr. Faith found us. We followed him into the house and saw the man with red eyes take EJ as we entered the room. The door closed tight as the second window broke. It was in an uproar in the room as lightning flashed about us, things flying about the room like it did in the family room downstairs.


“Mr. Faith called his horse over since we couldn’t open the door, it was jammed shut. So we climbed out the second window on the horse, we were too heavy for us to take. So we left it and tried to follow his trail then it diapered heading west towards the mountains. It was soon after that when you found us as we headed for home to get some more help.” Robert replied out of breath from telling the story.


“Pa we did learn a few things along the way that might help us I think when we find EJ,” Will said as he turned his head toward Robert as Robert nods to go ahead.


“Ma, we found these near the tree house near the creek. Couple of warn out scout merit badges and a small model car with his name on it. The funny thing is Ma we never did see any of these things in his room and he never mentioned it to us either." Will said handing the objects to her.


“Oh yes,” Robert said pulling out the note Jeff left for EJ to read. Ma gasps reading it as Robert folds it back up, puts all back into the box of keepsakes.


“We found another piece of paper as well,” Will trying not to smile as Will unfolds his handing it to them.


Ma and Pa read it then turned their heads towards the hall. “I see,” handing it back to them putting it back with the keepsakes. Wondering how they manage to find things like this and sighs. Knowing EJ, he could keep secrets deep within and these are just an example of his true past he has been trying so hard to hide from and the bad memories to go with them. Mrs. Jennings is right it’s going to take lots of love and patents as we try to help my son, “My son.” Martha whispers softly to herself as soft tears start to form.


“Martha we need to keep a very close eye on her now, we don’t need any more problems arising not now at least.” Pa taking her hand and wiping an escaped tear flowing down her cheek.


“So you see there are more questions here that we need an answer to and fast before we can resume the search, but we have some idea now where to look or focus on Pa. he’s in building that’s hasn’t been occupied and has a cellar deep underground surround by his followers. It’s going to be tough to get inside. When we find the building that he is hiding in providing he doesn’t move him to deeper parts.” Robert replies. Seeing the seeds of truth a bit of luck working on their side, Yet for how long is the question.


“All right boy’s, you're off the hook for now. But I’m still going to keep a close eye on you so consider me apart of the team.” Pa replied.


“Fine by us Pa,” as Robert and Will shrugged their shoulders.


Ma gives each of them a hug and kiss, “alright boy’s time for bed. I’ll be in awhile to tuck you in,” as they leave the room.


The boys let out a big gasp of air watching them go “Robert that was close,” Will said.


“Amen to that. If we had to tell the whole truth they never believe us. We need to find EJ and fast so we can put this all behind us.” Robert said as he gets up from Will's bed starts to head for his room with a tired yawn.


“That’s for sure brother. I just hope he still alright.”  Will replies as they both get ready for bed?


Aunty M walked down the hall to where the boys are gathered, "well how did it go?”  She asked looking into their faces.


“I think they believed us, for now, that is Aunty M, but for how long is the question,” Robert asked.


“You let me worry about that, you just concentrate on finding EJ for now.”


Will and Robert watched Peggy and Dona heading to their rooms complaining of blisters on their hands and how tired they are. The boys smile at them as they pass by them. As they slam the door shut, “something’s never change brother,” as Robert sigh’s heading back to his room.


Ma and Pa making the rounds like they do every night in the house, first stopping in the girl’s room placing a kiss on each of their heads, tucking them in for the night then wishing them sweet dreams. “Will try Pa, Ma,” as they sigh softly, “we miss him so.”


Ma wrapped her arms around each of her children, “I know, will find him, dear,” with soft tears streaming down her cheeks while tucking them in.


Pa and Ma turned out the light, closing the door of each of the girl’s room walking somberly down the hall to the three boys room Sam, Ted, and little Danny’s room, pausing just a moment seeing them all in the same bed with their little arms across each other asleep. For these are her three little angles as she wipes a tear looking into Wayne’s eye, “oh how she missed him so. Now their brother is missing,” as tears begin to flow as she cries softly into her husband shoulder.


While soft tears filled his eyes trying to control himself and stayed strong comforting his wife. “Now, now dear,” he said in a choked voice. “We will find him, I promise you that,” as he patted her back. “If I have to look in every house, every cave or the belly of hell itself, I’ll find our son and bring him home where he belongs in your arms.” They carefully pulled the quilt over the boy’s shoulders laying it on top of them. Ma leaving a soft warm kiss on their cheeks while Pa softly brushing their hair. “Goodnight my sons,” closing the door behind them.


Ma and Pa start to head up the stairs to the boy’s room passing Linda on the way coming out of her room. She watched her with her eagle eyes as they turned into EJ room even thou his not there.  Wayne and Martha simple nod in the passing, just smile and go on with their nightly routine, leaving the door open and turned down his bed just in case. As Ma wiped her tears on the back of her sleeve, “pleases come home son.” As she whispers looking out the window, “we all miss you, for this is where you belong.” Before she turns out the light, “stay safe we are coming, just leave the porch light on if you can.”


Pa took his shaking hands placed a new wooden star, placing it by his pillow. “Remember son, you are my deputy and I need you here,” as he wiped the tears from his eyes. Going to the window looking to the east then west with a soft whisper towards the mountains on the hilltops, “I love you son. Were comen as quick as we can?” Pulling out his handkerchief he wipes his eyes hanging his head high, “I promise son we will find ya no matter where you are.” 


Ma, Pa walked down the hall to Wills then Robert room, Pa hugging his boys one more time as they all look out the window with tears in their eyes. Robert rushed into the bedroom with his brother, “this house is like a tomb without him and we are running out of time,” as they looked out the window. The house is cold somehow as they look beyond the shadow walls. They could feel a soft cold breeze coming from somewhere, looking down the hall where EJ’s door is open.


Linda is sitting quietly on EJ bed down the hall, looking out the window, eyes bent hard as steel rubbing the little star in her hands as the coldness in the room engulfs her from the open window.  Her breath quickens as she rises with her heart pounding with complete madness, taking the star in her hands as the wind blows throughout the room, slamming the door shut. With things flying about the room, she takes the wooden star and tosses it out the window as far as she can throw it. Yelling in the room, “his mine, you can’t have him. You understand me. Mine.” As she tossed the mattress onto the floor disarraying the room, before collapsing into a corner sobbing into her hands, “they are mine, and you can’t have them.”


Martha raced down the hall towards EJ room with everyone behind her. Opening EJ door finding the room in total chaos, Linda sat in the corner having a nervous breakdown. Aunty M and the boys put the room back together while Wayne and Martha help Linda back to her room down the hall sobbing. 


Julie quickly brings up some hot tea and a couple of drops of Docs sleeping tonic as she hangs up the phone, “thanks Doc... Here you go Ma,” as Martha hands it to Linda to drink, watching her drink it all.  “Ma, Doc says he’ll be by first thing in the morning,” Julie said.


“Thanks, dear,” watching Linda yawn. “Now let’s see if all can get some sleep,” pushing them all towards the door closing Linda's room.


“Yes, Ma,” Julie replied taking the empty cup down the stairs with her.


Martha turned around noticing two girls that didn’t come out of their rooms tonight. “That’s strange; Linda made enough noise to wake the dead up here.” Wayne slowly opened the door of the room finding two sheets tied in a knot hanging down from the window tied to the bed.  Martha and Wayne stare at each other for a minute not daring to even to ask then Pa yelled down the hall, “Aunty M, boys lets go,” as they come busting out the door.


Pa handing Will his overalls, Martha showing Aunty M the girls room “NOW?” Her eyes hitting the wall rushing down the hall cussing throwing on her clothes stomping into her boots.  Within ten minutes Pa and the boys with Aunty M behind them were dressed and loaded for bear, chasing after two girls down the road.


Martha knew better as she slowly watched her house fall apart. True she had Will and Robert back, but EJ is still missing with his mother a loose cannon. The stress nearly is overbearing now; she has two missing girls to deal with as well. Martha wringing her hands looked up the stairs, pacing the floors back and forth from here to the kitchen. Picked up the phone calls Mary in to help her with the girls and their mother….


“Have told his Grandmother his missing?” Mary asked.


Martha paused ……” No….I afraid to Mary with all the things she been going through it might put her over the edge.”


“I see.”


“Nobody knows except Lizzy and now you, but I am just about at my wit's end.  He’s been gone now for three days.” Martha replied crestfallen as she begins to weep.


“Three days…. And you haven’t said a word to any of us…But why?”


Martha cries, “I was afraid to.”


“I’ll be there in an hour Martha, make that pot strong. I feel we are in for a long night.” Mary replied as she hangs up the phone.


Mary was on the phone, while she packed. “That’s right Richard, there’s trouble brewing down there. Martha needs help and fast. Please make sure your mother got her pills, it’s a nasty one. No, I don’t know the details just that he’s gone missing that’s all. How? I don’t know, hurry.”


“Yes Mary,” he said.


Richard running up the stairs pulling out his suitcase pushing clothes in it without care, running down the stairs, “mother we got to go.” Flipping on the lights of her room pulled out her suitcase tossing in her leather jacket, setting her boots by the bed.


“Go where son?” His mother asked.


“Back to the farm,” Richard said tossing her pills into the suitcase, “EJ’s in trouble and they need us now hurry,” as he flies outdoor loading the car with his suitcase. His mother dashed in frenzy trying to get some answer on the phone. “Ma, there’s no time, Martha we are on our way.” taking the phone out of his mother’s hands.


“Thanks, Richard.” Martha not sure he heard her as the phone went dead.


Richard pushed his mother towards the door turned off the lights grabbing her suitcase. “Let's go, mother, they told me everything will be explained when we got there.”


Everyone dashed down the freeway towards the Downing Farm Martha in the kitchen paced back and forth with the baby, while everyone else in the house tried to sleep. Julie coming out every once in a while to check on Ma. Looking out the window for the boys, “it will be alright Ma. I’m sure they couldn’t have gotten too far.” Put her arms around her, seeing Mary first entering the farm.


Martha sighs with relief as she went to the door. Opening the door Mary gave her a big hug as tears stroll down her checks, “thank you,” as she wiped them with the back of her hand.


“That’s what friends are for dear, you now that,” Marry patting her on the back. Martha leads her into the kitchen pours some strong bit of tea as they warm themselves by the fire.


“I have more bad news I’m afraid,” as Martha hangs her head looking towards the fire than taking Julie’s hand. “The girls have run away, we have no idea when we assume after dinner sometime, just right before bedtime, not sure. Their mothers upstairs sleeping with Doc’s tonic after an episode of stress we think.” Martha replied.


Mary's eyes widen nearly faints losing her faults teeth. “The boys are right now looking for them with Aunty M so you see I am in the worst way. I can’t deal with all of this while looking for my son,” as tears stream down her face once more freely.


Mary gathers her breath looking around the room, looking up the stairs. “Does she know their missing? That her girls have run away,” she asked.


Martha calmly shakes her head no staring at the fire, took another sip of her tea. “I see.” Mary watched Martha by the fire nearly in a trance now.  It’s taking almost everything out of her. First EJ then the girls, the worry and the stress placed upon her. Mary could see it in her face. She takes Julie by the side and out of the room so they could talk as they climbed the stairs talking quietly, opening Linda’s room seeing her sleeping soundly, closed the door.


“Julie how much sleep has your mother been getting lately?” Mary asked.


“Not much, this last week has been a disaster.” Julie quickly explains what Mr. Barns has done these last few months then having EJ stay overnight for the whole spring break at his parent's house. “Then all this happened.”


Aunt Mary stricken as with each detail was unfold before her as she stares into EJ’s empty room, “Other than that Aunt Mary, that’s all I can tell you. You're going to have to talk to my Pa and them about the rest,” as Julie shrugged her shoulders.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

65 Views
Added on February 17, 2019
Last Updated on January 20, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep