Chapter 12-1

Chapter 12-1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 12-1

 


Sir Drealin and Tina bowed whispering to the Downing’s to do the same. The queen in return thanks them as she smiles sending the court and everyone away; closing off the area as she cast a ward of the watch round them deep inside the tree itself. “Now that’s better,” lifting her small teacup, crossing her legs on a delicate mushroom. “Sir Drealin, Tina glad to see some old friends in these dark times. How can I be of services?”


Drealin took out a small envelope handing it to her as she puts on her reading glasses. “I see”, once more looking at Martha, “cleaver I must say. And they have agreed then to the terms?” She asked.


“Yes your majesty they have, and so have the others,” Drealin replied with a quick bow.


“It’s an old spell, but it might do the trick for the little ones that will bind them to her.


Now then as for naming,” The queen pulled out a book of the registered wood elves pedigree families names, going down the line. “Yes, this will do nicely I think.” Making a quick note with her quill on the line Tweed. “You will be known as the Tweed family, your husband is Arken who is away on business with his three sons Jasper, Grayson, and Sylen.


"You dear shall be known as Lily and your two girls,” pointing to Julie on her right “will be known as Analy and Anna on her left Brandy. You also have three small boys the one with yellow and greenish hair like his father Vanen known as Danny and the on his right Ted shall be known Alken and his brother Sam will be known as  Sal the little one will be fine as Jess.”


The queen wrote down all the names according to the pedigree in the books according to family and a short history according to the history and breed of the letter of the family and accommodation. Julie giggles thinking about her name and what her friends might think if the only knew to look at the queen of the pixies “imagine me as a wood elf.”


The queen puts her book away with a simple snap of the finger sipping her tea and folding her glasses placed them somewhere in her sleeve as she smoothed her skirt. Looked up, “names are just names and history playing the part is a whole different matter entirely. That’s why sir Drealin brought you to me. We need to do something quick to complete the transformation. Like I said I do have a spell, but the only problem is it wears off in a very short time and according to this here letter were going need something stronger than that for the little ones.


“The Mayor plans on you staying with us for a while once you get that boy back. He’s going need special care the kind you can’t give him down at the farm, but he’s going to need you more than ever. Our only problem is, Danny here and his mother down there. He’s not safe there and must be kept hidden for a time until Morgan is gone and he’s out of danger.


“Morgan is not worried about his parents considering he’s tied them to him so to speak with a contract of his own. It’s his brother’s love he concerned about. If he can destroy that, then he has total control. It could be days or it could be weeks or even months. Time is different here. The days are longer and winters shorter when we sleep two days could have gone by without us knowing about it in some places depending on where you came from, the cycle changes.”


Martha paced a bit trying to decide between the spell or the other what is best for Danny. “Is there a reverse?” She asked the queen.


“Yes of course, but it takes days to wear off even months depending on how long you're under, but its safer than the spell if you're looking for a guarantee,” she replied.


Martha looked down at Danny and the two boys at her side then her two daughters thinking of her boy’s and how far away they are with her husband. Martha nods to the queen, “I understand the terms for Danny’s life and his brother, I make the choice for his mother. He must be kept hidden and safe until he can be returned to her. I will accept the charge placed upon me,” she replies as she curtsies to the queen of the pixies.


The Queen rises from her stool. “Then it shall be granted this day. I hereby summon what is old and what must not be seen.” Taking her wand, sprinkling something that looks like stardust filling the cups for each person. The wood elves sprinkle from a bag a little dust of brown mixture of herbs and grounded roots as she mixes with her wand taping each of the small glass cups as it changed color then back to clear water.


Sir Drealin hands each of the Downing’s a cup making sure they drink every last drop as they slowly drift off to sleep. The wood elves dance about them chanting while images flash in their minds as they sleep. When they awaken they find themselves back in the cottage in the main house, not as themselves, they are the Tweeds the Downing’s are gone.


Sir Drealin cleared the table, Tina putting a pot a mint bails tea on the stove. “O my! What am I wearing?” As Lily looks down at her old clothes form her own world.


Tina smiles, “My Lady,” don’t you remember you just got back from other side you and your family,” she replies seeing the enchantment working.


“Oh, that’s right,” giving her a strange look. “How could I forget the weather down there, nasty this time year too. I do hope my husband and my boys come home soon from their trip down there,” she replied as she yawns.


“I’ll have your things sent ups stairs my Lady if you like to change while Brandy gives the tykes their baths before they go over to see their grandmother.” Tina giggles slowly watching the little boy’s faces when she mentioned the word bath.


Analy you mind helping me put the things away?” As Lily slowly rises to her feet.


“Sure mother,” Analy picking up some of the gowns caring them up the stairs. The boys squealed, laughing, running around the table as Brandy tries to catch them with Tina’s help, taking them upstairs for their bath. Tina placed fresh clean clothes for each of the boys, taking the old ones out of the room. Stuffing them into a bag waiting for the rest of the clothing to be destroyed, in case somebody finds them.


Grandma and Richard going through the same process having just returned with Mary as part of the Tweed family that lives next door. Some minor changes, Richard has long yellowish green hair braided in the back.  Grandmas is all white tied in a bun with flowers and Mary’s blue and silver tied up into a bun.  Their names are the same except the last part since they live further out north. Morgan is not likely to pay much of mind as if they remain as wood elves part of the clan. The Queen made sure they planted it deep in their minds on who they are and the family is so they won’t forget, not leaving anything to chance.


She sent some of the mixtures back to the judge to give to Nathaniel with instruction in a sealed envelope for the transformation for the boy when they find him. The Whitmore’s a whole different matter as the Queen paced back in forth in her chambers.


“True its just Rena and the boys and maybe their father now and again. The problem being, we can’t transform them into anything and they won’t be here as long as the rest of the others. A simple illusion spell might work for them if necessary, but why bother if we tell them up straight will they deal with? Can they handle it is the question? Too many unanswered questions if only she had them in front of her maybe she could help her make that choice…” She said to herself



* * *

 


Kollie slowly walked his family away from the Stuarts place back towards Mrs. Trenny house, looking over the horizon towards the mountains. Rena could see something was bothering him as she put her arm around him. “Alright dear, what’s this all about?” She asked.


Kollie paused then rubs his chin then looked at his boys, “I need you and the boys to go somewhere for me…Somewhere safe where I don’t have to worry about you.”


“This is about Downing’s and what’s happening down at the farm isn’t?” She asked.


“Kinda of,” as Kollie swallowed. “The problem has gotten a lot worse, it’s not just about them anymore, it’s the whole town and everyone they know that Morgan’s after…. He caused that storm and now there’s a lot of people injured down there and more will be before he’s through. Lives are at stake. Yours, mine, the Downing’s; who knows who else’s, but right now all I care about is yours and my sons. Please do what I ask and don’t question the why's.” Kollie looked deep into her eyes, “please for me?”


“Alright, where are we going?” Lifting herself up on her tiptoes kissed him on the cheek.


“That my dear is a mystery and that I can’t tell you because you would never believe me in a hundred years. I was told for you not to pack anything do to there is no time and all the arrangements have been made when we arrive. I will drop you off then return here knowing that you are safe. Not to worry. I’ll be in good hands that’s all I can tell you.


"It’s not safe here and I promised not to speak of it regarding anything. All will be explained when you get there. Trust me its a whopper that will blow your mind. It did mine at least so let's get the car and settle things with Mrs. Trenny and quickly head back to New Downing why I make a quick phone call to the hospital,” as he kissed his wife and rubs the boy’s hair.


Kollie pulled up in front of Granny’s house, Nathaniel quickly waved them inside looking down the street, “we must hurry friends there isn’t a lot of time. They had to make a few changes to our plan. I am afraid that cover story not going to work,” Nathaniel said showing Kollie a poster with descriptions of people most wanted by Morgan and notes that he just received.


“You sure know how rain on man's party,” Kollie replied.


“That’s not the worst of it, we can’t give him back either for three reasons, his safety and EJ’s and the others as well.  You’ll see when you get there. We had no choice. His spies are everywhere even there, but least they are safer there then they are here under our protection. They are well hidden and they will be too,” Nathaniel replied as he pointed at Will, Robert, and Wayne, “they just don’t know yet,” he laughed.


“Well, this no time to be gabbing,” Aunty M walking in the door under a hooded cloak “your right Nathaniel we must get these people out of here and fast they started towards the farm looking for the Downing’s and I thought they were headed for the Whitmore’s place. I laid some nice little traps of my own, all they will find is a whole lot of nothing I just hope your roosters and chickens like to travel a bit, Wayne? First class to safer parts. I also brought back EJ’s pony makes a good pack horse, we're going to need him to carry him back on.”


“Thanks, Aunty M…” Wayne replied.


“O its t’was nothen. I do anything for my nephew you know that. Besides a house just a house we can repair whatever damage they do, its lives were trying to save. We best get to it. They are waiting for us,” pointing to Whitmore’s.


“Doc Hatfield said he’d be here within the hour with some of the nurses Aunty M so you just need a spot to put them. I should be back in a couple of hours at least,” Kollie tries to smile as he shakes hands with Nathaniel and says goodbye.


Aunty M and Nathaniel just smile. “We will see you when get here then son,” pointing to the back door, ushering his family out the back door with Lenny in the lead. Rena and the boys looked at his strange clothing and his staff as he waved it in the air a gateway opens before them. “Well don’t just stand there looking at it, times wasting boys,” Aunty M giving them all push towards the gate, Wayne and his boys waving goodbye, but Nathaniel pushed them inside with them before the gate closed.


Aunty M and Jaydan looking startled, “sorry plans changed,” Nathaniel handing them the notice to read, Aunty M and Jeff eyes popping at the words seeing the wanted posters of the boys and Danny at the top.


“Yes they must find their brother and fast, but the only way they can do it and get through is change who they are, providing them extra skills for the hunt among our people. That way they will not be spotted so easily. The queen only gave me enough for the boy Jaydan,” Nathaniel handing over the vile and the envelope. “It’s up to you and Jeff to make sure he gets it. The envelope contains the ingredients for the transformation the other is the binding so don’t lose it.”


Jaydan read the note. “It doesn’t say what kind of change,” as he rereads the note.


“Sorry, my friend we will just have to wait and see. Margaret, you have another problem.” Nathaniel pointed to Danny’s name on the list. “Dealing with his mother, since he can’t return here for a while. Do to all the danger he is in plus the binding needs time to work itself off, which could be awhile when the danger passes so he can return.” Nathaniel said as he folded up notes placed them in his breast pocket for safe keeping.


“They never make things easy do they? When it rains it pours no matter where you are at.” Aunty M pacing the floor as the gate opens with six more guardsmen and Lenny arriving.


“That’s it Aunty M. We need to get out of here and soon we’re not a way station,” he replied staring at Lenny. Handing Nathaniel a change of orders then passing it around. 


Jaydan reads the orders. “You got to be kidding?” Jaydan turned back to Lenny and the group of men now standing waiting for their orders from Jaydan.


Nathaniel put his hand on his shoulder. “You can do it. That’s why he picked you and Jeff. Jeff can’t stay here with me, you know that. He doesn’t belong in this world anymore; his time has passed as it should be. Yet he too has a job to do and his fate is locked the same as ours. Mine is to lead to protect this town when the time comes so they have something to come home to.


“Margaret must find her own way like the rest; hers is not on the battlefield of men, but of life as she guides them. It’s not for us to decide their fate as once it was, for now, we to have new tasks leaving the old ones behind for others to do my friend,” he said.


“Taking up the sword of light, we must strike into the storm of darkness, finding the balance once more. Rendering it free for those that are bound in chains and bringing home our brothers held captive in its hands. For the dark and the light or one and the same, lay in the shadow of time which are now lost without its guide. It’s that we take up our swords and fight…. Returning the balance to all men across the stars, so that we may live free in the light once more.” 


Aunty M sized up the situation. “The first thing we need to do is find these men some traveling clothes if they're coming with us,” grumbling counting heads, “and horses…..”



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
Added on February 17, 2019
Last Updated on January 21, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep