Chapter 14-2

Chapter 14-2

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 14-2



* * *

 


Linda jumped into the car… The car speeding down the street towards the farm, praying she can still save her son from this horrible beast. Tears rolled down her face, her eyes being deceived by one of her own family members “how could she…? Why does she hate them so much like their father?”  Clouds of darkness covering the mountains and the valley floor as she drove as if she was in a fog.  Pulling into the Downing farm she noticed the broken door and the glass everywhere, the farm seemed to be completely deserted. There was not one single light on anywhere in the house.


Linda slowly got out of the car peeking into the house. It has been ransacked, tables and furniture overturned, doors busted off the hinges; cabinet’s lay open, dishes scattered onto the floor, papers torn blowing everywhere lying loosely. Not one sign of the Downing’s or her son, but where could they have gone? as she walked carefully searching, hoping not to find any bodies going from room to room.


Tears flowed down her face at the possibilities as thoughts of the unthinkable going through her mind. Linda passed ripped clothes and toys of the little boys as she went down the hallways thinking of little Danny. It tore her apart, thinking she has lost two sons now as she picked up a stuffed teddy bear and tries to put the stuffing back in, setting it in the corner of the little nursery. Linda looked towards skies and down the road hoping they are both still alive. That by some small chance they were able to get away in time. Far away out of Morgan reach, “but where?” Is there such a place? She asks herself.


Linda looked down the road not far from where she standing.  The Dark Knight watching her through the window smiles as he rears his horse on the hill by the barn Linda screamed as he laughed in the night turned; galloped into the night towards New Downing. Linda running down the stairs, running toward the car and down the dirt road towards town after him as he disappeared into the night fog along the road.


Linda driving straight ahead not stopping as she pulled into town pounding on the Mayor’s door in the middle of the night with tears rolling down her cheeks. “Please, sir! I need to find a man named Nathaniel or Jaydan. I can’t find the Downing’s they have my son Danny. His in danger and I must find him pleases, can you help me find them?” Linda cries as the tears rolled down her cheeks.


The Mayor brings her into the house, sitting her in the living room while he wakes his wife. “Who is it dear?” She asked.


“Linda Stuart, she says the Downing’s are missing and they have her son Danny.”


“Who’s missing?” She asked again.


“That’s what she said?”


“They can’t be… They were just here this afternoon, Wayne and his two boys I saw them myself,” his wife climbing out bed.


“I know dear. I am just telling you what she said. Now then I need to find the Doc and this man Nathaniel in hopes we can settle this matter.”


“I saw Doc Hatfield arrive tonight with his nurses so he should be home. Whitmore are across town so it could be a while,” he said stomped into his boots.


“No dear, He’s back. I saw him and his family to this afternoon they should be down at the farm.” She said getting up putting on her petty coat, leaving the room to attend to Linda in the living room. 


Mayor picked up the phone called over to the Whitmore’s place while putting on his shoes and jacket the phone rings off the hook.  He tries again and waits “that strange?” Dialed the Downing home not even getting a dial tone, he quickly calls Doc Hatfield.


“Doc we need ya and fast. Looks like I can’t get hold of Doctor Whitmore down at his place… What do you mean you heard he was gone… do you know where? I see… anyway, Linda Stuart is here at my home pretty messed up; gone bonkers saying that the Downing’s are missing and now her boy Danny is missing as well and seeing strange things. 


“Anyway, Doc you better get over here. My wife’s trying to calm her down the best she can, but you know her best. Thanks, Doc just let yourself in the door. I need to find this Nathaniel person in hopes he might shed some light. Oh, they're all at Granny house Margaret with him too. Even better, thanks Doc… Right now I’ll settle for crazy.” Mayor looked at Linda though the door. “You have no idea what’s been like last few days,” he replies as he hung of the phone.


Mayor rushed down the street as fast he could, staring at shadows leaping across the rooftops of his little town. Searching, gleaming down upon him as he made his way to Granny’s house. It was as if someone or something was following him in the distance down the street getting ready to strike at any given moment. The Mayor pounding on Granny’s door waiting as the lights come on in the kitchen.


Aunty M peeked through the kitchen windows seeing the Mayor then unlocked the door grabbing his arm pulling him through the door then relocking it. “Sorry, Brad. We can’t be too careful. What are you doing out this late anyhow?” She asked as she yawns rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. 


Nathaniel walked down the hallway to see who it is. “Yes, Brad. Don’t you know it's not safe out there with all that’s been going on? We have had three homes searched in the last two nights and we have no idea by who.”


“I realize that Margaret, I wouldn’t have come if wasn’t important plus Granny doesn’t have a phone anymore or I would have just called. Linda Stuarts at my home right now, came over just a few minutes ago crying her eyes out, she out of her mind. Saying the Downing’s are gone and have taken her son Danny and about something is after him. When I know perfectly well I saw them myself this afternoon right here in town getting supplies.


“Doc Hatfield saying something about the Whitmore’s and wife telling me there back at the farm the whole family was here this afternoon. Yet I can’t reach them for the life of me. I have women in my house telling one thing and other’s telling me my town is upside down running for the hills. Being chased by things that I can’t understand, whom I am supposed to believe?”  The Mayor asked as he rubbed fingers through his hair.


Aunty M and Nathaniel try to smile. “I don’t know what to tell you, Brad,” Aunty M putting her arm around him. “Things always look better in the light. You say Doc is on his way to your place then we best hurry. I want to try to talk to her first before he does anything.”


Aunty M stumped into her boots and put on her cloak to hide her face from the shadows as they headed back. Nathaniel could see someone was indeed following them. “Margaret you and Brad make a run for it while takes care of a little business.”


Aunty M turned her head slightly seeing one of the Dark Knights a little ways down the road. “Brad. I hope you trust me enough because when I say run we are going to run like our lives depend on it.” Brad could barely make out a dark shape from the corner of his eyes as he swallowed. Margaret griping Brads hand “RUN!” As Nathaniel stepped back his eyes blazing gold, running towards the knight as another from behind ran towards him.


Nathaniel waving his hands fast in the air above him as staff appears with a flash of unseen light. The air crackled as he took his staff, dancing in between them. Man and beast clashed swords against his staff.  White lightning flashed, striking the knights as they clash at him with their swords, Brad, Margaret running for cover as Nathaniel fights to the death. The battle raged on steel against steel as the air around them crackled. Brad watched as the three fought for their lives. He has never seen anything like it or them in his entire life.


Nathaniel taking down the first knight as a lightning bolt goes through his heart then removing the head of the second knight with another with his sword. Brad watched the flames turning them both into ash. Nathaniel walked back to the house tossing the knights swords into the house. Wiped the sweat and dried blood off his face with his sleeve. “Now then where were we?” Helped them up from the ground.


Brad a little shaken looked back over his shoulders then back to Nathaniel. “And I thought my wife was crazy.”


Aunty M laughed. “She still is my friend, she still is.”


Finding Doc back at the Mayor’s house sitting with Linda as they walked in the door, “you were right Brad.” Doc said twitching his mustache. “Crazy just likes the rest of them.” Doc approaching Aunty M and Nathaniel “So far what I can tell. Her story doesn’t check out, not one lick of sense; People in town said they saw them, she says they are gone in fact Doctor Whitmore called me himself while people tell me they were all in town this afternoon.


“I don’t see how It’s possible to be here one minute and gone the next and why would they leave in the first place. Not if their sons run off somewhere. It just doesn’t make any sense. No. What she needs is a long vacation somewhere none of this hogwash filling her mind. I say in the morning we both take a ride out to their farms. I’ll bet everything will be just fine. Then come back have us a good laugh and treat a few people and everything will be as right as rain.”


“Not so fast Doc,” Aunty M staring him down like a little mouse. “We tried to warn you.” She said going over to Linda sitting down beside her. “She right and your wrong! If you could only see through that thick head of yours,” handing Linda another tissue. “If you want to take that little jaunt of yours why wait, you won’t find anything now or in the morning.


“I’m sure Nathaniel will be glad to show you… this woman doesn’t need your pity she just wants your help and if you can’t give it to her then what use are ya. Tell you see the truth for yourself. Come on Linda I’ll take back to our place for the night,” giving Doc a cold stare, “Brad thanks for your help.” She replied as she closes his door with Linda by her side.


Aunty M walked Linda back to Granny’s house, setting up the sofa for her in the living room. She brings her a nice hot cup tea with little of Granny’s moonshine to help her sleep. Aunty M with hers as she sits in Granny’s chair. “Linda let me try to set your mind at ease if I can….


“The Downing’s fled sometime this morning about two hours after you left. They got a message from a man that was a follower of Morgan. He died delivering the message…. It was horrible. In the message, it told them that Morgan was after the three boys and to kill the rest. It also said burn the town of New Downing and to find his brother Danny and bring him to him or die.


“In the notes on the back where pictures of me and the Whitmore’s as he fell grasping for his last breath. “They are coming!” All hell broke loose down here as a storm started to scatter the town. Breaking windows with hail the size of baseballs tarring things apart, it was a mess. Mr. Downing and the boys went into town seeking help, but the wagon went out of control and busted it up into pieces.


“They survived by sure luck making it back to town coming back on horses back with a few bruises. Martha called Rena at Mrs. Trenny house telling them that they need to get back here on the double. But the phones were all down.  That’s why Doc came up there to call Doc Hatfield and retrieve his own family, packing what they could as they all headed for safer parts taking their families to safety.


“He will be back in few days I think, we will have to wait and see.” Aunty M taking another sip leaning back watching Linda. “Right now Danny is with the Downing’s and Farr’s as I know he’s safe and out of harm's way. Where I don’t know, they took his Grandmother and his Uncle with them and Aunt Mary. Granny, Ned, and Lizzy are gone too. 


“Jaydan, Nathaniel sent them off visiting relatives. I think. You’ll have to ask them. I am the only one left here and I am leaving as soon I can get things settled here. It’s not safe for me either I am afraid. What he has against me I’ll never know, but the longer I’m here. The more danger everyone else is around me.


“I can tell you this though. Jaydan has left towards where they are keeping your son. It is just a matter of time before they break him out. Then the fun begins. Morgan will be in fury like you have never seen.  EJ must remain hidden and the Downing’s that includes your boy Danny until he’s out of danger. Then Danny will be returned to you.” Aunty M slowly gets up and gives Linda a couple of drops of sleeping medicine as she poured Linda another cup of tea.


Pulling the blanket over her, Aunty M softly whispers in her ear as the light touched her eyes when the fire shines in her eyes. “Dream my child.” Watching Linda drift off to sleep too a faraway place above the horizon of cool summer days. She sees EJ and Danny running down a dirt road on the hill of a little schoolhouse. Linda watched them play, laughing on a bench of a small town in the distance. As she sleeps a small tear drips from her eye to her pillow.


Aunty M closed the door to the room. Placed the swords in the closet for nobody to find shook her head thinking of Nathaniel as he walked back into the house.


Nathaniel takes a good look at Margaret. “Well, that got their attention.”


“I thought it might,” Margaret putting the dishes in the sink.


“How did it go here?” He asked.


Margaret shrugged her shoulders. “I think she understands… Hard to tell really, it’s taken a lot out of her in one swipe. It needs time to sink in I think… Something else upset her there. I can tell by the look on her face. It was more than that knight…. Of course, that would be plenty for anyone, but she came alone tonight. You would think she would at least have the girls with her, thinking of the danger they were in. It will be daylight soon enough and everything looks better in the daylight…..” She replied as she tries to get some sleep.



* * *

 


Down deep in the dungeons EJ could hear the guards whispering among themselves about Morgan. “Looks like we have another mess to clean up thanks to that brat down there,” the guard replied.


“Yes, too bad we just can’t kill him and be done with it.” The other guard intoned.


“But no. Morgan says wait. He’s too important. For what I ask you? A brat is still a brat, we have lost too many good men for him already. It’s been hours since he sent out for that brat’s brother.”


“Are you thinking what I am thinking?” The guard replied as he wipes his mouth with his sleeve.


“Yes, that witch killed them and we lost some more good brothers due to this brat? I say we string him up and be done with it are you with me?” He asked.


The guards came down the stairs raising their sword high. “Come mere you little brat,” beady eyes glowing in the dark as they stalked towards the cell. Their swords scraping the ground… “We're coming for you!” As the keys dangled at their sides as they get closer. The guards open the cell door raising his sword high ready to strike. The first guard missed EJ by a hair as he fell over dead.


Morgan standing over him pulled out the black knife from his back and the heart of the second guard as he fell to his knees with a surprised cold look on his face… Morgan laughed as he leaves the bodies in the cell closed the door, locking it laughing as he climbed the staircase “fools.”  EJ shaking his knees against his chest watching the blood form around the bodies left behind in the darkness trying to turn his head. It was hours before Morgan had them removed from his cell as he merely watched on cackling leaning against the wall.


“Soon boy, my knights will have found your brother and your dear family then you can watch them all die. Then you will see that I have won and you are mine forever. Side by side we will ride upon the hills as the darkness covers the land, taking back what is ours. I will make you a champion in time, a prince of many worlds across the stars. So you may crash them with the power which is mightier than the sword. Nothing will tie you down or hold you, not them with a chain around your neck as they grasp at straws what they can not have.


“This so-called love they seek is only a trap and an illusion for the weak minded where it hides deep and corrupts and must be destroyed. For it is our turn as the sky blackens and the heavens shall fall, giving back the darkness?  You will understand this in time as we lift the burdens from you.


"Shake the chains of lies that have corrupted your mind. For it is not love you seek. It is superficial whereas power and strength are real and leads to victory as you rule over all men. Putting on the robes of glory as a king sitting at your table feasting upon the words of truth and power while others beg at your feet for scraps like wild dogs and vermin.”


EJ screamed. “You're mad. I won’t listen,” turning his face toward the wall. Morgan grabbed EJ by his shoulders shaking him. His eyes piercing red through his skull, slapped him across the face. “You will listen to me boy, for the time is coming and your path has been chosen by me. So get used to it,” setting him back hard on the stone bed.


Morgan slammed the cell door closed. “Next time I won’t be so gentle,” he said stopping in the middle of the stairs.


EJ rubbed his jaw where he hit him as tears ran down his cheeks. Lays against the wall trying to laugh and smile whispering in the dark. “Run brothers, run.”  Now knowing they must have fled and Morgan has not yet found them. For the first time since he been here, he was able to sleep as some peace enters his mind…..



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

57 Views
Added on February 18, 2019
Last Updated on January 22, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep