Chapter 15-3

Chapter 15-3

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 15-3



* * * *

 


“Mighty fine camp you have Margaret, Jaydan,” Grandma said pouring herself a cup of Joe. “Now then I need a horse and I’ll be on my way, I don’t have a lot of time to chit chat.” then taking it off the ring and putting on then laughing at their surprised look. “The boys will be here shortly I understand Jaydan and the Judge is expecting you, Margaret, to meet him in town on the hill. Jaydan you mind son helping me with that horse dear? I really need to go. I have business I must attend to before I return and the clock is ticking.” Grandma climbed on the horse as Margaret tries to ask her a question.


“Sorry dear, I really must go. No time to explain. The Judge told me to hurry and that’s what I’m going to do.” Sling her cloak around her she was off heading towards New Downing riding hard and fast. Against the morning sun, shadows of a horse trailing behind her as she turned left then right down the dirt road passed the first farmhouse. She picked up more speed as she leaps in the air over the guile across the field around the bend. Just ahead she could see New Downing as she puts on the ring hiding her current self slowing down as she glides into town.


“Talk about a war zone, these poor people,” she replied to herself seeing all the broken windows and bandages and slings, huge bruises among the people. “What has Morgan done?” Grandma pulling out Nathaniel and Granny’s address follows the directions down the street, runs into Linda on the street heading towards Docs office.


“Grandma Stuart?” Linda said with a surprised look and tone in her voice “I was told you left.”


“Shhh, not so loud Linda,” Grandma said climbing down from the horse. “I only came back to take care of a few things that’s all.” Linda nods as Grandma puts her arm around her walking the horse “Linda do know where I can find Nathaniel's house there are so many houses down here since the last time I was here?” 


“Yes, but he’s not at home right now. He’s over at the Docs office setting up shop that’s where I was heading to see if I could help.”


“Where are the girls Linda, aren’t they with you?”  Grandma could see tears start to form in her eyes,


“No.” She replied with a hurt voice. “They betrayed me, all of them. They were willing to give up Danny to this beast Morgan without a care as long as both my sons were gone was all that matter to them. I could not live with that decision or choice. I refuse to become like them, groveling at their feet being pushed into a corner like a mouse so I left. Hoping to find and save both my boys, finding nothing except a slim chance that Danny got away from him. I just wish I knew where because I miss him and EJ so much and I am not leaving here until they're both back in my arms.”


“That could be awhile Linda. You do realize that Danny will come home before EJ will.” Grandma replies watching the people in the street.


“Right now Grandma Stuart I don’t care, if I have to build a cottage for three of us I’ll do it, but I will not leave without them. Far as Jim concerned were dead to him just the way he likes it. If he can’t accept the boys the way they are then he’ll never accept me either.


"For now, Grandma Stuart don’t tell me where they are at, just tell me he’s safe that your all safe, so I don’t have to worry. There’s a man dressed in dark clothing that’s been looking around town for all of you asking questions. Like the one that broke into my house looking for Danny a horrible beast dressed in black.”


“Linda they're safe.” looking her straight in the eye giving her a quick hug watching her go down the street. The sun was high in the sky reaching the noon hour as Grandma headed towards the Doc’s office following the people tying the horse nearby. Doc busy with his nurses patching people up, Nathaniel putting supplies away on the shelf as Grandma walked in.


“Kinda busy around here Doc?” Betty asked smiles hanging up her cloak.


Doc raised his head towards the door seeing Betty. “You can say that,” walking up to her. Nathaniel carries on as if nothing has changed in the room to take the attention away of two old friends getting together. Doc whispers in Betty's ears “I thought you left town old girl?”


Betty quickly takes Doc by the arms carry’s on a conversation of nothing important taking him out back. “I did you old fool, I was sent back to prepare you when your help arrives you need to tell these folk that we have fled the country gone to Alaska or Canada or somewhere far, far away and won’t be back for months. Now regarding your help, he may seem strange just a little changed somehow and his wife will be with him, whatever you do don’t draw any attention to them.”


Nathaniel walked out the back door. “It’s about time son,” Betty said looking at the sky as it turns to the late afternoon. “Time sure does fly.” Giving Nathaniel a quick wink “I need a place to stay and fast,” watching the shadows in the corners. Grabbing Nathaniel and Docs arm taking them both inside into the light “I also need a phone.” She said. Doc tries to tell her all about the damage of the Whitmore’s and Downing farms as Nathaniel finishes putting things on the shelves.


“Doc their fine that’s all I can tell you, I really don’t have the time to tell you more than that except their far away and safe and Mr. Whitmore and his wife will be here to help you in a couple of days.” Doc twitches his mustaches grumbling yanking a clipboard out of nurses hands, flipping through the charts. Betty paced the floor watching the sky outside the window. Checking things off in her mind what is she going to tell Steve and does she have time to make one more visits, one to her other son’s house and the other to Mrs. Trenny?


Nathaniel taking Betty’s arm walking down the row of patents Linda stops them. “If you do see my husband tell him,” looking down at the floor… “Tell him there’s still hope for us if he put aside this foolishness accept them for who they are.”


Betty puts her hand on her shoulder “I’ll do my best, but you know how stubborn he is?” Linda nods and returned back to work helping. Doc watched Grandma leave. Knowing without a doubt Danny must be safe with the others.


Nathaniel could see the worry in her face as she watched the sky as the sun lowers and the shadows are more present. Her steps quicken towards his house as the sun turns to twilight her Illusion begins to fade around her Nathaniel quickly opens the door, as she changed back into a wood elf.  Betty removed the ring slipping into her pocket breathing hard. Looking out the window making sure she wasn’t followed from the shadows. “My horse. I forgot my horse it is still tied up near Doc’s place I can’t go get him looking like this.”


Nathaniel running outside down the street lurking around the corners hiding in the shadows sees a man dressed in black with yellow-green eyes deep within the shadows near Docs place asking questions to people as a man pointed towards Nathaniel home on the corner. “That’s right an old women and him were here moments ago speaking with Doc Hatfield old friends why?”  The man asked.


“No reason,” the shadow knight dosing his pipe. “Just heard they left and wanted to know if I could lend them a hand that’s all.”


“Well, that’s where you’ll find them, friend.”


Nathaniel quickly makes it back to his house leaving the horse where he is coming through the back door. “Betty it's not safe here.” Opening the cellar door grabbing his staff and sword leading her down the stairs, opened a hidden passageway. “This will take us to an old farmhouse that has been abandoned for years up the road from New Downing off the beaten path.


“There is plenty of food and water and fresh horses when we need them and Mrs. Jennings has a car there even though I don’t know how to drive such a contraption. We are being tailed as we speak,” closing the door. “And he is heading this way.” Nathaniel locked the door with a deadbolt hearing the outside of the door swing shut hiding the passageway as he pulls the leaver.


Nathaniel summons a spell as a ball of light, lights their way through the passageway making turns left and right he stops to set traps as they continue. In the background, they could hear noises as they echoed as Nathaniel house is being searched. Furniture was being overturned, glass breaking everywhere. Cops yelling from the cars pointing guns through the window as people scream in the street as the Mayor and the town deputy’s try to bring order to the town.



* * * *

 


Morgan soldier fleeing out the back as cops move into the house riding into the wind empty-handed except with the two swords of the black knights wrapped in cloth, laughing at his treasure. “Now if I could just find those boys. I’ll be rich and the glory would be mine. Somebody must know where they went if that old woman came back they can’t be far.”


The black rider heads to his dark cave into the mountains storing his loot looking over the valley. “Soon the heaven’s will fall my brothers, it will be ours once more.” The black rider took his rod of black poison, stretching forth his hand across the waters and the trees of the evergreens. He turns them black with disease and famine as Morgan taught them. Watching them wither and die slowly covering the hills.


The wolves howled and the ravens fly in the air darkening the sky overhead with flocks heading west, south, east and to the north spreading the disease across the fields of crops. Bugs eating plant life leaving not a shred of greenery as it too leaves behind darkened soil where nothing will grow. “For I must prepare for the coming of Lord Morgan and his prince for these are his lands as they walk in the shadow may I drink from their cup may their burdens be light. While others grovel at their feet begging for scraps like whipped dogs.”


Taking the black sword holding in his hand high in the air. “May we fight with honor and glory my brothers removing the light from ruling over us for it is our turn as we seek the true power which has been hidden from us taking back what is ours.”



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

63 Views
Added on February 18, 2019
Last Updated on January 22, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep