Chapter 16-1

Chapter 16-1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 16-1



* * * *

 


There are dark trees everywhere and the place is cold which was unusual. These people are friendly and the forest was always green and inviting. It as if everything is dying all around them, the soil black with poison. Tree branches crumbled in his hand into dust. Derrick could see smoke rising in the air from an angry mob surrounding someone. Caption Rigs yelling, trying to protect the Whitmore’s, “we come in peace.” Trying to subdue the people, the Whitmore’s scared to death as they held each other as the mob gets closer and angrier.


“How do we know that you didn’t start this in the first place?” The leader said picking up a rock throwing at the Caption Rig missing him by inches.


Derrick stepped out where they can all see him in all dressed in white. His staff glowed as he walked forward towards them. “Because I sent them here in hopes you will help me. But it seems,” as he looked around. “That we need to help you first my friends for the shadow has touched both our worlds.” Derrick lowered the light so they can see his face as they all bow before him whispering, “He’s among the Council Of The Light.”


“Please tell me all that has transpired here on your world so I may give counsel.”


The chef of the Knee abees brings food and drink as they sit around the fire. Derrick unrolled the map of their cities across the land as the chieftain pointed to the fields and the trees and the dried up riverbeds and lakes. “The fields are blackened with disease losing most of our spring harvest. Now we have no trade for our families and our bellies grow empty.


“Another man came by preaching in our land asking question regarding them and another family we never heard of, left us a warning saying  “that Dark Prince and Lord Morgan will be riding, prepare to fall at his knees as the lands and the sky become his to control. Die if you betray him for his sword is swift and his power is great.” One of Chiefs said known as Shadow Dancer.


“He killed hundreds of our kind. Hung them on that hill to remind us of his power, we buried them in the mountain where they belong with mother earth knowing that light will always shine upon them. That we must fight as one if we are going to survive. Then these people came and you’re Caption Rigs branding a sword at his side and two others with no staff or skill, not knowing what they needed to perform. I have seen wizards that have more skills then they do. What’s worse they are wanted by this Morgan Fellow?”  The head Chief Long Horn replied.


“So are you willing to release them now that I’m here? I might be able to help with that problem you are having. In return, you help me with mine.” Derrick took out a copy of plans of the town and the hill where he wants to build his crown jewel. Derrick whispering his counter plans among them.


“Yes, that would really piss him off, make lots of nice rat stew why we build up our forces using that one as a stronghold. But I would make another couple somewhere else scatter them around a bit not putting all your rocks on one hill. I’m sure there are others like ourselves out there Morgan has sent this man or men like him.” The head Chief Long Horn replied.


“Shadows seem to gather more quickly when you are not watching them. I must get the Whitmore’s back so let’s see if we can help you, my friend.” The Chef Long Horn unlocked the door letting them out and apologizes trying to smile when he apologies to Caption Rigs.


The Derrick leads them all outside where the trees are, hands Kollie and Rena each a book flipping through the pages of each book hands it back to them on Trees and Living Creatures. Lets them study it for a moment. “Now concentrate and focus on the tree letting it spread through the roots to other trees. By placing your hands on the trunk of the tree, think of the tree as living light pushing the darkness way as it blossoms.”


The Knee abees watched with amazement as their forest turned green again and fresh as it crept slowly up the mountainside. Rena and Kollie fell to their knees, tired as the sweat just poured off them. The Knee abees cheer, sing, and dancing in the small village. The chef Shadow Dancer brings food and drink and fine pillows to rest on. “That was exhausting,” Rena said wiping the sweat off her face.


Rena turned to her husband Kollie picking up some of the soil rubbing it through his fingers looks towards Derrick. “We're not done yet are we?” Kollie asked still catching his breath.


“I’m afraid not, what you did was just temporary, all the streams are dry and fields are poisoned. These people will starve if you don’t help them, my friend. I have a feeling you're going to find this on all the worlds you travel to including yours by now or at least soon.”


Derrick stands looking over the valley where the blithe is still there. Chief Long Horn joins him as Derrick pointed to the west where the green stops. Chief Long Horn frowns as Derrick shakes his head no seeing the worry in his face. “There’s food of plenty my friend in my world at least why we look for a solution for everyone.”


Derrick leaving Caption Rigs behind together the Knee abees far and wide, taking whatever tools and belonging they wish to take. They hooked up oxen on carts, push pulleys and flat wagons of grain, flour, spices and salt, all manner of goods as they empty their houses going through the gate being welcomed with open arms.


Derrick greeted the three chiefs Long Horn, Shadow Dancer and Tall Tree thanking them for coming. Invited them to his home others invited them to stay in their homes as they come through the gate.


Two hundred Knee abees came through that night as soldiers help unload their carts and wagons, putting away their livestock. The Whitmore’s boys helped with the cattle. Kollie and Rena checked for injuries going house to house. While Derrick visited with the chiefs making nightly round’s of the town, stopping in at the Tweed home at the top of the hill. Introducing them to the three chiefs of the Knee abees, “this is one of the families I was telling you about that will be living in that Grand Hotel on the hill. Margaret will be the town Nanny for the boys and girls around here so your wives will leave you men folk alone.”  Derrick chuckled as he introduces everyone around the room.


Chief Long Horn laughed. “You haven’t met our wives; only peace we get is when we go hunting.”  He replied. While the others laughed with him.


“Arken here and his boys like to do a little hunting themselves off-world when they get the chance. He is also good at building things and knows a thing or two regarding those plans. He’s usually at the barracks in the morning training if you need him. Other than that, Sir Drealin and my Caption can get you whatever you need to build with. While me and the Whitmore’s come up with a solution to heal all the damage that Morgan has done not just here in this world, but everywhere.”


Everyone shakes hands while Mrs. Tweed passed around a plate of cookies and glass of milk in the living room. Richard and the boys are amazed, looking at these strange people built like sold rock with arms the size of tree trunks. The three little ones caught up in the stories of faraway lands, unlike their own back home. Watching their mother eyes soften as she takes their father by the hand. “Alright, boys, time for bed. You have school in the morning.” Lily replies.


“Oh please, Ma just a little longer.” Vanen dancing around and Sal, Alken joining in. Aunty M picking up Vanen as Lily takes the other two by the hand up the stairs. She helped her getting them ready for bed. Thinking this would be so much easier if I could remember their new names and which one belonged to who.


First, they were Downing’s now the Tweeds. I never know when their acting or when their not. There going put me in booby hatch for sure thinking of Wayne and the boys and how they're coping as well as the rest of them what a mess. “Hold still Vanen you are not as easy to dress anymore…” she replied.


“Sorry Aunty M, just that you look kinda funny to me,” he replied.


“I do, do I?” As she starts to tickle him rolling him over on his back. “I was thinking about the same thing about you.” She replied laughing.


Lily walked into the room laughing seeing the pair together. “It’s about time we had some laughter in this house. None of this gloom and doom surrounding us. I am glad you are back with us Aunty M. You’ll make a fine nanny. I just wish my son Sylen would come home soon. I do worry about him so, all alone out there in that mans clutches. It breaks my heart knowing what he has done to him and what he has done to us as a family. Theirs one thing he doesn’t know. It’s made us stronger, we couldn’t love that boy more if we tried. He’ll never take that away from us, never,” wiping a tear from her eye. “Will he Vanen?” Picking him up.


“No Ma, that bad man can’t have him, I won’t let him,” he replied.


“That’s right son,” setting him in his bed placing the covers over his shoulders kissing his forehead. “Good night my little one,” flipping off the lights as Aunty M closed the door followed her down the stairs. “Everything alright dear?” She asked Arken.


“Just fine,” he replied as Lily smiles sitting next to her husband…..



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

65 Views
Added on February 18, 2019
Last Updated on January 22, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep