Chapter 19

Chapter 19

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 19


EJ slowly opened his eyes while in his Ma’s arms, he smiles looking into her face. Lily with tears in her eyes greets him with a warm smile. “Good morning my little one,” holding him close. The tears flowed down his cheek seeing his Ma again holding him in her arms.


His sisters were so happy as they all wept seeing his smiling face as they hold his hand in theirs kissing his little cheek. He didn’t care one bit as he tried to give them each hug, but he was to weak muster a soft one. His brothers were busy with Pa, as he looked around the cavern with his eyes watching everyone working.


Pa hurries over leaping two steps at a time. With his brothers right behind him then kneels next to Ma so EJ could see him. Pa picked his son up in his arms as gently as a butterfly in one arm. Held him close to him put his arms around his neck. EJ cries into his shoulder how much he missed him and all them till there was nothing left but soft dry tears of joy.


“Did you sleep well son?” Pa asked.


EJ whispers. “Yes Pa, but please can you tell me what my name is?” He asked looking around the cavern, “I don’t think Jaydan told me or anybody else’s? All I know is that were all wood something that’s it my mind a little foggy still.”


Jaydan made his way back over to the Tweeds camp in the corner of the cavern. “Glad to see your awake son,” giving EJ a smile. “Now then I need your fathers help for a while young man and see about finding all of us some food and supplies before gets dark.” Pa carefully rubs his sons head placing him back on Ma’s lap right where he belongs. Ma gently wrapped the blanket around him brushing his soft hair, rocked him and the baby back to sleep.


Jaydan knew the chance of survival in these conditions were rare. They had nothing except the clothing on their back, some with young children and babies. Magic or non-magic did not make a lot of difference when you were on the run from something more greater than yourself.


His only chance was to find a place of safe haven long forgotten about, someplace deep into the mountains as he pulled out a map that Derrick and he traveled to long ago in boyhood. “There’s only three of us that know the place exists.


"Me, Derrick and Nathaniel, we all swore an oath to keep it secret with our lives until the hour was near. Except I wasn’t the one planning on leading the group,” Jaydan said to himself as he looked at the Tweed family, “it should have fallen into Nathaniel's hands. He’s more qualified than I am.  He was always the better swordsman then I’ll ever be. He can outmatch me easily in magic and wisdom. Why me?” He grumbled.


Jaydan walked around the cavern he could see the fear in the people faces as he passes by them. Even the children are afraid to play as they huddled close together like little-freighted mice in a cage. Jaydan spotted a couple of wizards hiding in a corner off by themselves. Nothing more than he hated is hidden secrets except for the ones he knows glanced over at the Tweeds. Jaydan quietly walked over to where they are standing grabbing each by the arm. Bring them in the middle of the room.


“Folks I have just thing to keep your mind occupied,” giving these two wizards a hard stare. “For tonight only... These two will astound you, and surprise you, make little ones laugh, as they put on a special magic show of wonder just for you. So prepare yourself for a night of entertainment. With music and dancing like you never had before.”


Then Jaydan lights room up with colors of reds, greens, and blues as if the rocks themselves were coming to life. A soft yellow ray of light flowed down the cavern walls. The children screamed with delight as he laughed watching their smiling faces. Jaydan kindly walks the wizard back to their corner of the cavern. “Remember, they want something that boggles the mind and fun.”


“We don’t do card tricks or simple parlor tricks.” They replied.


“Well you do now,” he said and walks away.


The room was all abuzz about tonight fun as Jaydan walked the cavern smiling ear to ear. 
“How you are boys coming on getting us some those supplies?” He asked.


“Well, we cleared the first hurdle with the Knee abees help sir. They say most of the homes are damaged or flattened to the ground.” The Caption replied.


“What about my forest, my beautiful trees?” The pixie Queen asked.


“Sorry my Queen-ship,” the Caption looks down at the ground. “Its all gone like it was never there.”


The queen looks at Jaydan with sad eyes, “do you think some of my people made it more than just a handful?” Jaydan could not give her answer as he walked away with a sad heart of all the news of destruction pouring in. Yet for the people he had to remain positive and not show his true feelings, realizing the strain and the responsibility he had was now on his shoulders.


Jaydan had two problems. One; he was pretty much stuck here with this group that need him the most. The second problem is; he still has a group of men down on EJ’s world in a camp doing nothing except guarding empty field looking for a boy at the moment that doesn’t need rescuing.


Right now he needs all his men that he has within the cavern, any one of them could be a spy or more. He has no doubts what’s so ever that someone on EJ’s world followed him back causing this mass of destruction and could be still here.


Jaydan paced back and forth wondering what to do, thinking of the possibilities of each choice he makes. Either way, it’s a gamble, but one more day not going to make differences, as long he could give them a full belly and roof over their heads and warm place to sleep. “If I have to sing them a lullaby and have those pain in the neck wizards tuck them in it will be done.” He says to himself.


“Jaydan we broke through and we’re sending out scouts now.” The Caption replied.


“Well that is good news,” he said.


“Yes, sir.”


Jaydan seeing the worry on his mans face. “What is it?”


“Well, I can’t describe it as if everything is all dried up and gone?”


Jaydan followed the man out of the tunnel into the open air. The air was hot and dry with no moister, no plant life anywhere for miles around the homes, and they where badly damaged ready to cave in a single moment. The trees were all dead, no birds, no animals, nothing but dried up sticks and old buildings falling down for miles. Jaydan knew what he needed to do. The families inside must not see this for they needed hope and strength right now more than anything. “Caption, gather what you can and bring it inside the cavern.”


Jaydan taking out the maps that Derrick left him of all the caverns in case of an emergency like this. Placed a rock on the floor he projects himself to each of these locations without leaving where he is at, looks around all the caverns. He put with tears in his eyes for his people now, as he guides them. The people in the caverns look up seeing Jaydan in the middle of the room like they did when they saw Derrick.


“People of Springfield; it is with great sadness that we leave our town behind, but it will not be forgotten as we build a new one, a stronger and better one for it is the people in the town that make it a rich and fruitful for generation. Our town is not just made of stick and mortar, but of love and friendship that holds it together.


“I have assigned Captions to each of your locations to help you so you may join us all together in safety and see about your needs. As well as helping any other survivors that may still be stranded before we depart on our journey to a new land of safety for all that wish to come. If not I will do my part in wishing them a safe journey home with a simple warning not that you need one.


“Ask yourself this question first. If you have one apple cut into two piece place it one hand and one in the other. How many apples do I have? Then look outside under the stars putting your hands back together.” Giving each smile as the light fades from his rocks. Watching the first of the supplies being brought in.


“Sir, the barracks cellar was mostly still intact and some of the homes fruit cellars.” The Caption replied.


“Now what about blankets and some clothing for children?” He asked


“Right here sir,” a man huffing puffing with armloads with six more behind him. Jaydan could see the cavern was filling up fast with supplies faster than he could hand them out. He needed hands; his men’s hands were all tied up with supplies and rescue efforts. Jaydan needed to step back minute…


“I have all the hands I need just sitting there watching me. Sir Drealin you are just the man I need, find me someone in this lot that can do something with this…this…mess…” Jaydan pointing to the pile of blankets clothing sheets odds and ends and what not. “And somebody that knows how to cook a meal without burning the place down around us.”


“Yes sir, right away sir.” Drealin looking towards Mrs. Tweed pleased as punch with her boy in her lap.


“I think she’ll be just fine,” Jaydan replied.


“Sir it’s the boy I’m concerned about.”


“Why’s that?” He asked.


“He hasn’t had anything to eat since he woke up and he is thin as a rail, she can’t keep him warm that’s why she holding him so tight with the blanket. Hoping he’ll go back to sleep till we find something for him.”


Jaydan gasped. “Drealin you are just telling me this now?”


“Sorry sir, you have been kind of busy….” He answered.


“Not that busy,” Jaydan walking quickly over to Mrs. Tweed. “I hear the weather outside rather nice. Would you and the boy like quick walk outside,” Handing the baby over too her older daughter taking Lily by the arm carrying on a nice conversation. “Your husband has been a great help.” Placing a can of meat into his pocket as they walked through the tunnel, Jaydan walked briskly passing her husband. “We’re going out for a stroll, care to join us?”


Jaydan grabbing his arm swings him around outside away from everyone behind a house away from everyone. Jaydan took the blanket spreading it out on the ground so she can lay her son down. “As I was saying nice day for a picnic,” Jaydan casting a heat spell to warm up the can of meat popping open the lid. Giving Lily a hard stare as he handed her the can and a fork, “lovely weather we're having for a picnic.” Picking up a handful of dry dirt.


“Alright, alright I get the point.” She said.


“I am glad because my friend and I did not save this boy just so you could let him down. If he needs something you tell me if I am busy or not. Right now things are not ideal as we like them to be. So far nothing has gone according to plan, mine, and his, everyone’s plan. So I am not making any more plans for now on. I’m using what I know and what my gut tells me.”


“So what is your gut telling you?” She asked.


“Well it isn’t good,” Jaydan said looking around at this place. “If Morgan can do this without being here to do it himself, we are in deep trouble. Now then my boy, you just lay here awhile and your parents will take you back inside when you are ready.”


Ma watched Jaydan leave giving them a warm smile posting a couple of Captions not that they needed any right now. Ma had been practicing her warding spell as she cast it around them. “Alright, son.” Pa watched him eat the last bite wiping his chin. Pa smiled rubs his hair. “Ma has made it safe for you to ask anything you like.”


EJ smiles take a deep breath. “Pa I figured out most of it, but I am lost, what are we and where are we?” He asked.


“Well you are a wood elf, we all are, your brother Danny too and Grandma, Richard and your Aunt Marry. You are in place or was in a nice place called Springfield that beings such as us live in and other folks from time to time. Now to answer your question earlier which I couldn’t, none of us could, our lives and yours depend on it.


“Your name is Sylen which means strong oak in Elvin's tongue as for your old name and ours it doesn’t exist anymore. Your old life is gone so is ours, we are no longer farmers and I don’t have farmer’s sons. I am a Lead Caption and have my own men, we hunt and set up camps and tents, you three boys help me. Danny is part of our family to his name is Vanen. Every day we carry on like a real family, nothing changes. You are my son just as it should be,” Pa giving his boy a hug. “Now then when we go back inside you must remember.”


Ma looks at Pa takes his hand and their son. “Just be yourself and play the game, who can lie the best yet tell the truth,” she said. “You’ll get the hang of it just watch and learn after a while I even forget who I am. But I never forget that your mine,” as she kisses his cheek wiped the last bit juice off his chin.


“Are feeling better now?” She asked.


“Yes Ma, it just so good to see the sun again.”


“Good, because theirs a group of people headed this way and I don’t want them to steal our spot,”


Pa laughed. “But Ma, you always said there always room for more.”


“Funny dear, that was before I had a house, now I have a corner.”



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

54 Views
Added on February 19, 2019
Last Updated on January 23, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep