Chapter 20-1

Chapter 20-1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 20-1


Nobody was in the mood for sleeping as the menfolk took care of the bodies of Morgan’s soldiers putting them in a deep hole and burning them. Oh, how they smelled, thank goodness for little magical wind blowing the smell away, right into Morgan’s area. Aunty M called it a gift as they all laughed around the fire. Ma patched the tent the best she could for the night and Pa found a couple brunches straight enough to hold it together.


For once it was a quiet night as Jaydan posted guards now that they had enough men to spread them out evenly. In fact, there was enough. Pa once more had his own men resigned to him watching over them, but not to close to raise suspicion now that they are in the open that they really needed to blend in. Which was going to be hard considering the danger EJ and his family was in.


Jaydan slowly walked around the camp noticing the same group of wizard that stood around doing nothing except as little as possible. “Nathaniel since you won’t help me,” Jaydan said.


“That’s not what I said. I said I would not take your place. I have my own problems my friend and what I gather Derrick for some reason he left this task to you.”


“Yes… I understand that,” Jaydan said watching the wizards… “You see those wizards over there and see the three men over there by the tree watching the boy and the Tweeds?”


“Yes?”


“Well for some odd reason one bunch are spies or both, but either way they are a pain in my backside.”


“I see your point. You want me to do a little snooping?” Nathaniel asked.


Jaydan said. “If you wouldn’t mind because it looks like me and my friend Lenny are about put on a show.”


“Oh, that o’t to be interesting too say the least.”


“Well, I did promise them something tonight.”


“You mean Morgan’s little battle wasn’t in the program?” He asked jokingly.


“And to think I didn’t send him an invitation,” as he tries to laugh.


Nathaniel quietly slipped away like a shadow in the night as Jaydan went to the middle of the camp. “Lady’s and gentlemen and kin’s folk.” Jaydan taking his staff lights up the sky with lights of starlight. “For tonight entertainment from around the world I present myself and Lenny as your host since our two wizards couldn’t make it, they had other plans.” Lenny popped in with a puff of white and green smoke making the children laugh.


Wizards mumbled. “What an idiot.”


Nathaniel standing next to them “so, you don’t think Lenny got the stuff?” He asked


“Are you kidding? Not even a wizard in rank in some books,” they replied.


Lenny is a favorite with kids as he juggles balls of light into a circle changing color. Then pretends he drops them on the ground throwing them in the air as they burst into stardust. The children scream with excitement. Jaydan helps Lenny by letting him levity him off the ground.


Then Lenny tosses chocolates to the children and apples as Jaydan shoots more color of fire into the air. Then was time for the final trick of all when Jaydan waved his staff high in the air as it fell back down into his hands. They could hear music all around them. It reminded them of home in Springfield as they cried and danced that night by the campfire. Saying goodbye to memories of their town in each other's arms.


They had the stars that night as they looked up even though it was not their world, but at least what they had they had were together and that’s what mattered most. Nathaniel made his way around the camp spying on the spies and the traitors as they watched their new leader take control.


The Wizards were in a foul mood and will nip at his heels never find him worthy of such a rank. Two of them Nathaniel questioned on his mind, he could feel the cold blackness on their hearts. Reaching to where the boy is being watched carefully he knew without a doubt looking on men’s face there was murder written on those faces as they looked at the boy and his family and Jaydan, he could see it in their eyes not just one, but all three.


Nathaniel walked back to Jaydan. “I’d move your families or kill those three,” as he points “I’ve seen it in their eyes and face and feel it.”


Jaydan was heartbroken because one those was his lifetime friend he thought. “I can’t just kill them for no reason, Nathaniel, they haven’t done anything wrong. All I have is suspicion.”


“Then are you willing to take the chance?” Nathaniel asked.



* * * *

 


Lizzy and Granny were in a small cavern with a family of wood elves, half a dozen pixies and small knee abees family, wondering what’s taking so long to find them as they shiver from the cold. Not hearing anything from the outside of the cavern for hours.


The children are hungry and the cavern is cramped, considering how long they been locked inside not daring to move to do to the danger outside. Granny finally had enough of the sitting around doing the nothing part. “Folks, I believe it’s up to us if we are going to get out this mess and darn totoen I’m not gonna wait a second longer.” Granny going to the entrance of the cavern where it’s blocked closed and starts digging.


With the Knee abees help by pushed her aside. “Granny, not to be rude you are digging the wrong way,” watching the bolder slide inwards more.


“Well, if you think you can do it better than do it.” Watched the father give orders to his children as they pushed the women out of the way.  Granny could feel a soft warm breeze enter the cavern when they broke through to the surfaces. Pixies diving out of the cavern first, not caring whose pride they hurt as long they got out to see their nice trees and gardens.


Wood elves helped Lizzy and Granny out considering they could see better than they can in the dark. “Thanks, Eielk.” Granny and Lizzy taking his hand as he guides them outside… It was a shock to them all when they looked… Nothing but dead wood dried up branches standing on a hill of broken buildings that seemed to be everywhere, no people, everything was silent. Not so much as cricket chirped, just the wind of dust blowing.


The Pixies were horrified as they looked at rows of trees and the blackened ground. As they walk towards town with a heavy heart, they only saw a hand full of people mingling around mindless, arguing around a table with soldiers wondering if this was all that survived.


“The answers is no! You can’t take these people down to the main camp, there could still be more out there.” The Queen of the pixies replied in a heated breath.


“I don’t care if you have orders from Jaydan. He’s not the leader and never will be if we have anything to say about it,” the wizards replied.


Soldiers looked up seeing Lizzy and Granny group come in bewildered at the destruction of the town. “Caption Rigs”, Lizzy asked as she looked at him. “Is my husband alright?”


Caption Rigs nods. “Yes. His fine, just little henpecked at the moment,” he said looking at wizards, “But he’s fine.”


“Can you take me to him?” She asked.


“Yes, I’d be glad to and with the others if these wizards leave me alone for five minutes.”


Granny steps in. “Is that all that’s holding up the show is this bunch?” She rolled up her sleeve. “Listen real good!” Looking them straight in the eye. “I don’t think you want to mess with me.” She planted her foot hard on the ground. “I may not be a wizard, but my husband is a whole different matter,” as they watched her cast a simple ball of lightning to get their attention.


Caption Rigs said. “It looks like our little matter has been solved. Our wagon leaves in 10 minutes, Granny.” The small group loaded once more waving goodbye to the stubborn two wizards, Queen of the pixie and one Knee abees, but this time the wood elves are with them.


Lizzy and Granny searched throughout the crowd, Granny finding Ned as she embraces him once more in her arms. Looked up on the hill and saw her husband looking down on the camp. Slips away into the darkness as she stands behind him then brushed his cheek with her hand.


Nathaniel turned swiftly picking her up in his arms with tears in his eyes for his beloved wife, embrace her once more. Lizzy finding the Tweed family camp was not hard because she knew who she was looking for, but what she got was more than she bargained for as Lily was tucking all the children into bed, she noticed an extra child that was not there before as Lily puts him next to his brothers and places a kiss on his cheek.


Lily turned seeing Lizzy standing to watch. Lily smiles and nods her head as Lizzy eyes form tears looking at the child laying next to his brothers. Lily takes her arm leading towards some trees casting a ward around them. Lily speaks as she watched Lizzy look towards the tents of all the people. “Yes Lizzy, my boy has come home.” 


Jaydan deep in thought in what to do about the three men as he gazed out among the people doesn’t see Lizzy as she worked her way back to Tweeds camp to sit with the boy for a while. Sylen sleeping comfortable in between his brothers did not notice he was being watched. But instead felt a cold presences as a shadow draws near him, his eyes open, he screamed in terror waking both his brothers and the camp as three men with knives were about to kill their prey.


Sylen tried to struggle as they dragged him out of the tent towards trees, but he was too weak to fight off his attacker. His brothers chased them, leaping with skill as they gain speed, through the trees. More men waited behind them as they corner the two brothers. Jaydan running after them with his Pa right behind them, Sylen screamed as the man tried to cover his mouth, But it was too late as a knife whistled in the air hitting the mans chest. Other two men tried to pull the screaming child into the bushes and the trees turning to find Nathaniel standing, waiting as he quickly drives a sword through his heart watching him fall on his knees.


The other man picked up the child as he flings him over his shoulder falls on his knee as the boys let loose an arrow. He lets go of Sylen landing in the bushes near a tree. Grayson and Jasper shooting arrows left then right at the men on both sides as they make their way to the bushes where Sylen has fallen.


Pa picked up his son not looking at the men now dead. Falls to the ground holding him against him in his arms shaking trying to soothe him as tears ran down his cheeks. Arken looks at Jaydan, and Nathaniel and his boys not saying another word just sits there on the ground holding his son in his arms close to him.


Jaydan bows his head as he looks at Nathaniel looking at the three men now dead and other men lying dead among them. How many more are in the group he wonders? He turned to Arken. “My friend we were lucky, but I don’t count on luck,” as Jaydan shouts orders of new accommodations for this family whether they like it or not.


Nathaniel puts his hand on Arken shoulder as they both looked at each other with their eyes not saying a word. Nathaniel knew what they needed most as he stood guard that night why the Tweed family slept. They needed a place where they could be left alone, not on the road so their son can regain his strengths as well theirs in knowledge of craft they carry with them, but for now he must do what he can, for his task is not with Jaydan as he looked to the west than the east towards New Downing.  He is needed there more than ever looking back at the Tweeds with a heavy heart whispered. “Go in peace my friends,” and waits for the turning of the guard.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

53 Views
Added on February 19, 2019
Last Updated on January 23, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep