Chapter 21

Chapter 21

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 21


The Tweed camp known as barracks compound is where the soldiers stay and Jaydan when he is not among the people; which consisted of two school teachers for the children, the camp nanny Aunty M, the camp healers, The Whitmore’s plus their staff Sir Drealin and his family and the camp cooks Witfered and Winthor.


All in All, things were interesting enough to keep a small boys attention considering there wasn’t a lot he couldn’t do at the moment except rest a lot after taking few steps now again having to stop and rest. Ma always telling him, “Sylen, don’t be in such a hurry,” as she tries to catch him before falling down a couple of times from exhaustion. He just tries to smile. “Yes Ma,” and look outside the tent watching everything around him working without him.


Jaydan comes by now and again brings him and Ma a book to read laughing as he rubs his head. “Sylen my boy, you go through more books than most wizards do in a century. Which is ok because I know lots of wizards that have a lot of books you and your Ma can read?” Then toss him another apple and surprise. “I found some strawberries this morning.” Ma mouth watering just at the word and the thought of fresh strawberries as Jaydan gives her a handful some for him.


It was nice to have Jaydan to themselves once in a while, but it always made them feel guilty at the same time knowing there where 300 or more people that needed him more than they did. For he had Ma at his side every day with his baby sister Jess while his sisters worked doing baking or doing laundry and his brothers are all in school and helping Pa with camp chores … Where he should be, not that he’d go without a few lessons from Lizzy as she drops by with a warm smile and hug and a kiss on the cheek.


Things aren’t as good as they seem some days as he watched the clouds and shadows cross his path. Every night he would wake up screaming feeling cold as the sweat poured off him soaking his pillow and bedclothes. Like last night as the cold shadow pressed against his chest. he could barely breathe. All he could see is Morgan red eyes holding a knife as if he was getting ready to plunge it straight into his heart laughing. Then he would blink seeing father standing over him laughing at him holding the knife.


The problem is it was getting worse longer they’d stayed here. The shadows are everywhere as he would look across the fields and on the mountains. He could feel Morgan with Jeff as if something is happening somewhere. He would sometimes see a small village that he’d never been too destroyed as people are killed or dying from starvation. Sylen could sometimes see the worry in Ma’s face as she watches him as he waked up from a nap shaking. His hair soaked, clothing damp with sweat.


Except for this time, something was different when Sylen woke to see a soft glow around him as he was transparent for a few minutes. Ma yelled for Jaydan quickly just right before the glow was gone and he was himself again. Jaydan was puzzled at the same time. Jaydan would say to Ma. “Try to calm down Lily,” watched the glow of the transparent of him become solid again.


It wasn’t the first time Jaydan has had to come into the Tweeds tent to help lately, but he was getting concerned more now as he looked at the boy. Jaydan shakes his head at Ma. “This boy goes through more bedclothes then most children,” he laughed.


But knowing the reason at the same time due to he spends most of the day in them because clothing is a luxury now and he spends more time in bed to regain his strength than most children. Half the children don’t even have shoes or nice clothes to wear to school or play in around the compound as it is.


It seems only ones that are complaining about that are the wizard families except the three Whitmore’s boys putting on a show on how to spin in a gown not caring what they think. Their mother Rena working on sewing new wizard gowns for the families with Lily’s help.


They may not sparkle like ones they use to have, but least the children have something to wear. But the boy does have him concerned even more so these days. Jaydan knows he soon must lead this group of people looking at the supplies in the cavern this morning. They had enough to last a month now that Springfield has been scoured clean.


“Sorry to bother you sir, but Caption Rigs is back from Springfield.”


“Thanks, Caption, I’ll be there in a moment,” Jaydan said looking at Lily and Sylen then tells the guard. “Do not let anybody in, I don’t care who they are.”


“Yes, sir.”


Jaydan cast the warding spell around them then summons his staff in front of him. Clicks the ground once and waves the staff as a bright light engulfs them inside the tent. Jaydan breathes as the room of twinkling star and with two suns almost the same room as Derricks except for one thing. Lily was Martha and Sylen was EJ again yet he was transparent.


Martha gasped seeing EJ as she tries to hold him, but can’t then look into Jaydan eyes wondering why. Jaydan takes her by the hand then waves his hand at a window so they both can see. Martha could see EJ’s body lying on the bed in Morgan's chambers chained yet cared for as a prisoner.


Morgan raising EJ’s head while he sleeps pouring tonics down him watching his body glow. Martha looks at EJ then at Jaydan with tears in her eyes for her son. “Now you understand EJ, why we need to sever the bond, because soon. EJ…”


EJ blurts out. “So I won’t see any more small villages being destroyed and feel helpless like Jeff does.”


Jaydan eyes looked down upon the small boy. “Yes and because Jeff for a time will be the Dark Prince were your path must not go if we are to save you both.”


EJ paced in the room as they watched him, it felt nice to be able just to walk and be free and not be tired. It seemed the weight of the world was on his shoulders as he looks at his Ma. All he wanted was a family that loved him as much as he loved them. Instead, he was fighting a battle of things that were not of this world, but of many worlds and it seemed he was the key. Or was he? As he looked at Jaydan and his other friends he has met along the way.


EJ nods and agrees for Jaydan to sever the bond fully. Thinking of the words Derrick said  “‘if you wish for something hard enough and believe it to be true.’ “Who’s to say it could not happen for miracles happen every day. Look at me if you need proof I am standing transparent and I am live in two places like the apple.'”


With that in mind, Jaydan clicked his staff as the room spins into the chambers of the high council. Derrick and Bowden seated smiled looking down upon Jaydan. Derrick nods to Jaydan to proceed. Jaydan felt out of place as he entered the room with EJ and Martha. EJ whispered in Jaydan ears to look to the man on the left. “He's not a member, something’s wrong with him I can feel it,” he replied.


Jaydan looked at the man and stares at him for a minute as the council waits for Jaydan feeling inpatient. “I am sorry to hold you and the council, but we believe there is a spy among your group.”


“A spy?” As they laughed of the impossibility. The only council members that weren’t laughing were Bowden and Derrick as they looked at each member. “Perhaps you could point him out to us,” as they all laughed harder. Jaydan wasn’t laughing as he raised his staff to the member of the group as they all stop laughing.


The member that was trying too shrugs it off by laughing harder. “Don’t be ridicules, me a spy? Not possible.” He could tell they weren’t laughing anymore as his face started to grow long with worry.


The head of the council waves his hand sealing the room. “If you are a spy and if any of us is a spy, there is only one place we can go that you can’t, for it is forbidden and all illusion are seen for what they are in front of the master.”  Tapping his staff with such force as brilliant light where no darkness can hide in the shadow. For they are their true selves none other…


EJ and Martha sat lone in the chambers waiting for them to return for they themselves could not follow them. They did not mind as they had each other it would have been nice if she could have held her son, but to see him as his true self and herself was more than they could ask for at that moment.


Indeed there was a spy among them, in fact, there were two as the masks were reviled and seen through their hearts for they were black festering in dark secrets as they cry out to their master that could not answer as they die in the light so bright. The room once again surrounds Martha and EJ with Jaydan in the middle, but two members were missing. Jaydan slowly puts his hand on Martha's shoulder. “We have work to do you and I,” he said looking over at EJ.


“The High Council of Light calls forth the boy,” EJ stands before them and tries to smile “You lad have a journey to be set upon, but first you must listen to your Ma for a time, and try to stay out mischief.” The head of the council laughed then smiles with everyone else. “Now then regarding to this problem, we agree and have decided that we should cut the bound you share with your other self for a while. That means that body we made for you to use is yours, will be part of you forever. In laymen terms your one hundred percent wood Elf except for spirit side of course as the saying goes ‘you break it you buy it.’ The leader of The High Council of Light paused long enough to let it sink in.


“Now for your friend Jeff, he can’t keep that one because you need to have that one back in the near future and he can’t do with it as he pleases either it not his. But you two need to communicate somehow without Morgan knowing and can’t go,” he replied.


Derrick came down the side stairs towards EJ. “Do  you remember that place where Jeff brought you to with all the trees and blossom?” EJ tried to remember shakes his head no. Derrick not surprised because the bonding mixture has blocked and suppressed most of it still. “Well, there is a place that Jaydan will take you to where you can visit,


“Talk about anything you would like not worrying about who’s listening. Except when you talking to Jeff you will be in spirit form he won’t see your body and he mustn’t see it or what to look for, or tell him where you are at. No matter how bad he needs to know. Even if it risks your own life or anyone else’s because it could, Morgan is clever we must outwit this big monkey. 


“Jeff at some point may have to kill and do things he doesn’t want to do. To show Morgan he has control over him enough to leave you and others alone. Until we can save Jeff and destroy Morgan.”


Derrick looks into EJ eyes and Martha as she listened to what has to happen. Not liking it one bit, but understand that her son must do this for all them if any of them have a chance. Things like stitching a hurt boy they found, who they have grown to love entered her mind as she looks upon EJ face.


“How could things go so wrong for a boy his age? When all he was asking for was somebody to love him that really cared for him too and be apart of a family. Now he is fighting off, a family that really doesn’t want him and now asked to face his worst nightmares over and over in his mind of worlds fighting to survive using him as bait on a hook.”


EJ nods and agrees as he looks at his Ma wishing she could touch him, but all she could do was whisper how much she loved him no matter if he was a wood elf to her he would be EJ her son as tears ran down her cheek.


EJ stood in the middle of the room as a soft warm glow covers his transparent body as each of council raised their staff the transformation was completed. EJ was now a wood elf in solid form as he ran into his mother’s arms. The tears flowed down her cheeks and his as she held him close to her.


Jaydan nods in return and bowed to the high council as they left the room. Jaydan merely pauses before as his old friend Derrick embrace him before leaving and rubs EJ’s head and leaves handing a map to Jaydan, Martha caught the words. “Help them, my friend,” leaves them standing there. 


When they returned to the tent everything was the same as except for EJ as he tries to walk about the tent he could barely lift his arm as he slumps over falling onto the floor of the tent. His new body was exhausted as his Ma and Jaydan lift him onto the straw bed. EJ opens his eyes. Jaydan put his hand on Martha's shoulder checking the ward before speaking. “EJ do know where you are?” He asked.


“Yes, I’m back in the tent, Ma’s with me and your not a school teacher,” laughing at himself.


Jaydan cracks up putting a hand on his shoulder. “True. Now then its time to play the game again, I’ll bring back some more food and another book. I think you're going to like this next one, but I need you to drink this first.” Jaydan reached into his pocket for the vile the high council gave him feeling the need that the boy needs to be able to protect himself and two more for his brothers.


Martha asked Jaydan “I thought we took care of that problem?” she asked watching EJ swallow the last drop. EJ feels a warm sensation going through his hands and legs throughout his body. “We did then? This stuff is just an extra precaution. He’ll get three doses for the next three days with his brothers.”


Jaydan stands taking his staff placing it one end on EJ shoulder and his hand on others. EJ could have sworn he heard words in his head. But Jaydan lips never moved as electricity generated through him. Martha watched EJ eyes glow as Jaydan finished and stood, as he waved away his staff in the air watching it dissolving and the ward around them.  “Yes, Lily I’ll stop by with some more food for the boy and another book I think he just over did that’s all. You know kids these days” Jaydan poking his head out of the tent.


Jaydan had more on his mind now than before as he started over to Caption Rigs at the map station post, considering he just returned from meeting himself. Nathaniel and Rigs went over the charts when he arrived and turned to look at Jaydan. They could tell something had changed especially Nathaniel. “I believe I recovered all the people that we can save in our world that want to come from the neighboring towns close by” Caption Rigs replied.


Jaydan looked at the numbers still not liking the odds, but much better than they were earlier. “We manage to save 450 people lost 100 people and most the cattle and horses saved two maybe three months of supplies.”


Jaydan turned to Nathaniel “And what about you friend, how are you holding up now that you have your family back in one piece?” He asked.


“Well, I still say you are too much in the open and I don’t like the risk your taking.”


“I see… Caption Rigs see if you can build some more wagons for supplies and see about how many horses we are going to need to get on our way.”


“Yes sir, Sir where are we going if I might ask?”


“Anywhere but here, since my friend says where too much in the open and I agree.”


Nathaniel could see something has changed in his friend as he walks about the camp checking on the progress of things. “You are up to something aren’t you?” Nathaniel asked looking Jaydan squarely in the eye.


“Walk with me a bit Nathaniel,” as they climb the hill looking over the camp Jaydan cast warding spell, Nathaniel noticed what he says is tight-lipped, but still wants keep an eye on his camp for signs of trouble. “We lost two members today Nathaniel on the high council they were Morgan spies. EJ pointed them out before we even started the procedure of cutting the rest of the bond.”


Nathaniel eyes nearly fell flat telling him to slow down taking breath… “What… I thought we tied the knot so he couldn’t get through?”


“We did, but somehow they found a way so we had to intervene,” pointing to EJ in the tent “He is no longer a host to that matter we created, it is now a real living person as a whole as you can get. Jeff is still in a borrowed body and will remain in that body until the end when he must give it back to EJ. Before EJ’s body that he has dies and will and can die for real if... you know what I mean. I don’t have to spell it out too you.” Nathaniel mind spinning of the possibilities like those three men….


“Derrick and council and I had nice chat what to about this problem. I suggested you or Margaret to lead this group of people considering your experience…” Jaydan looks down at the camp and sighs. “Yet again they said it was my problem and your task was and is to watch over that town. Which you are not doing a very good job of at this moment and to help me, but that supposed to be a two-way street. So far I haven’t helped you at all that much except fix you and mend a few bones. So find your family and take them with you because I doubt they're going to be any safer with me than they are with you.


“Take as many men and families you can pass them off as country folk to live in that town spread them around. Because I’m leaving, I would like to tell you where, but I can’t. One more thing,” Jaydan walked away turned as if an afterthought. “Morgan wants this very spot for something special,” and leaves him standing there.


Jaydan was true to his word when he came back to the Tweeds tent with the book and snack with brothers in tow as he enters the tent casting a ward around them placing guards outside the tent that nobody comes in. Jaydan takes his staff as all enter Jaydan inner chambers this time EJ was able to come as a wood elf, but still, weak Robert and Will had to help him placing him on some soft pillows so he could lay on. But it was so good to see them as their selves once again.


Jaydan explains once more how this possible as they looked at EJ as they watched another part of him sleeping in Morgan’s chambers. Jaydan gives Will and Robert each a vile to drink and then placed his staff as he did on EJ. Then explains what he did and the reason.


Jaydan paces. “We will be leaving this place soon and the road will be dangerous for all of us and more so for you. I can’t be there all time as much as I would like to so it has been decided for a time you will be able to learn new skills like your mother and your father even theirs will be increased. Unlike the house, you had where you could talk freely and be yourselves you need a place like this. The first thing I’m going to teach you tonight as a family is how to come here on your own with me then later by yourselves as you progress.”



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

63 Views
Added on February 19, 2019
Last Updated on January 24, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep