Chapter 23

Chapter 23

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 23



Well, Doc that’s, that,” Brad replied as both looked down the road kicking the dirt with his boot.


“Yep sure looks like it.”


Walking back into town they noticed a car in front of the Mayor’s house. “What do mean she’s not here?” The man yelled at the Mayor's wife.


Doc seeing Steve and his wife as they got closer, “I got this one Brad,” Doc replied walking over to all the noise.


Steve turns around. “Finally somebody that can tell me what’s going on in this crazy town!”


Doc slowly puts his arm around him and his wife. “I was just about to call you, but since you are here.” pulling out a letter address to him. Then pours a nice hot cup Joe for the three of them then closed the door.


Watching Steve's eyes hit the ceiling off the page of each line. As he muttered, “be gone 3 maybe 6 months or a year. “A Year!” Steve leaped out of his chair.


“What dear?” Loraine asked as she tries to calm him down.


“My mother says she gone on a trip her and Richard around the world to do a little site seeing and have an adventure before she gets too old. Tells me they been riding horses her and Richard on a daily base’s like sleeping under the stars.” Steve turned the page as his mouth drops reading. “Aunt Lizzy has found her self a husband as well and not to worry too much about things,” he replied in a shocked voice.


“Oh, that’s nice dear. I was worried that something bad was happening to them,” she said.


“Bad?” He replied.  Steve shook the letter in front of her. So she can read the letter as she smiles turning the page over.  “It sounds like she and Richard are having a lovely time.”


Doc grins from ear to ear watching him read more of the letter as his face gets more serious and long he stops jumping around as his eyes focus then mumbles. “She got that right.”


“What dear?” Steve just continues reading without saying a word then looks at Doc for a moment then continues reading then takes the last two pages throws them into the fire. His wife looked at him strangely as he hands the rest for her to read. Then stands puts his arm around Doc whispers “thanks,” as tears fell down his cheeks. “I to will keep that secret safe.”


For in the letter that was burned Betty told Steve what happened to Danny and EJ. knowing they are both together and safe. Not where they are, not how it happened, or what they look like. Nothing, but knowing they are alive and well together with Downing’s. That Doc had a small part in it as he tries to keep it a secret the rest of his life. For he knows the whole story as it was told around the table as they feasted that night with Tweeds. “No sir I have not seen the Downing’s since spring.”


Doc very much doubts, and has a feeling she even told that much to Jim as he hands Steve Jim's letter to him. Doc looked at the letter in Steve's hands as they shake “I can’t do this alone,” Doc replied.


Steve nods. “Then we shall do it together.” Loraine looked up at Steve and Doc as if something passed between them as his hand shakes putting the letter in his pocket. Doc and Steve headed for the door as she gets up from the table. Steve smiles leaned down kisses her. “Sorry dear. I think its best you stay here until I get back.”


But she refuses as she always does. “Now listen, dear. I am your wife, not a child, if I want to come I’ll come, if I don’t I won’t, right now my instincts tell me that I need to come. So I’m coming after looking at Downing farm all torn to shreds.”


Doc grinned took her by the hand.” Fine by me, Steve what could it hurt? Come back to angry wife? Or take one with you?” He asked.


“That depends,” looking at his wife giving her big squeeze. “On what she mad about at the time?” Loraine socks him in the arm lovingly as she smiles as Doc laughs.


By the time they reached Linda’s home things were you might say we're off to a rough start as Aggie was laying down the law as if was her home. The two soldiers were hopping around like mad as things where getting done around the house. Jim was not allowed to leave the room until he had it just so to her specification; for she runs a tight ship. And for some reason, the girls could not talk as if their voice were gone and every time they tried to kick or hit each other there was an electrical shock going through their bodies.


Linda was busy as well making a list of food items then having them rechecked by Aggie shaking her head as she pointed her back to the kitchen to do it again. Yes, things were working swimmingly at Stuart home by the time Doc and his party arrived at the door. Well almost as Aggie opens with a stern greeting to Doc. “What? Did we forget something?” She asked.


Doc introduced his guests to her. “Oh by all means. Please come in, after all, they have nothing better to do,” she said looking around the room. Yells for Jim to get out here now. Linda smiles as she sees Steve and Loraine and shows them the couch while she grabs a couple of chairs for her and her husband as Aggie dismissed her. Setting Loraine next to her taking the chair for herself while Jim seats next to her. In her mind, Jim has to earn that right. Right now he is a long way from spit from a fly’s eye to becoming even close to being on her good side.


Steve calmly handed Jim a letter addressed to him and waits for him to read it. For some reason, it was longer than his, but Jim face and reaction to what was on the letter never changed. His face remained the same. No excitement, nothing. The only difference was Jim looked at Steve and his wife then Doc then folded the paper back inside the envelope not saying a word. No thank you or nothing, he just hands the envelope back to Steve went back to what he was doing. Steve reads the letter, it was the same as his almost word for word some changes, but about the same.


Handing each page to Linda to read as his wife read his when he got towards to the last there where tears on the page as it smeared as she tells of the story of the ring his dad gave her when he was born. That now it is buried to keep the boys safe and for her. It was a hope that in time he would or might realize that they are worth more than garbage as she fights to protect them with her own life.


“For something’s in this world are possible. If you only believe them to be possible because right now both your sons are alive and together. That you are a fool if you can not see pasted yourself and realize that Linda is right. That he should trust her when she says they were taken by a man named Morgan, for it was true and their lives are in danger so are yours.


“Why? She has no idea, but somehow you do because deep inside it is eating you alive, every time you look at the boys. You hated them more and more. Linda is at least trying, but something is missing in her and you as there seems to be a cold feeling about all of you. Morgan is at your doorstep, he been around you, he knows you well. Why? What have you done? Only you can answer these questions. I’m the sorry son I hope; no I will see you again.”


Linda turned the paper over in her hands reading the last bit then puts it back into the envelope. Aggie instructions were simple as she looks at Doc and Steve. She knew that letter had to be destroyed because it was linked to the boys as she waved her hand as she stands “tea anyone?” Grabbed the tray passed the cups around as she watched the paper inside the envelope turn to dust she breaths calmly. “Now then,” as she turns to Steve. “You say you are his brother is that right?” She asked.


Steve nods “yes.”


“Well, I would of never have guessed that one, considering his mood is quite different than yours.”


“How do mean?” He asked.


“Well, for one thing, he slouches as you sit up straight and tall. Plus you by your eyes as he sees the world a lot differently I can tell.”


Steve looks down the hall where Jim is and sets the teacup back down on the tray. Then stands not paying any attention to anyone else in the room as his mind is focused on something else.


Aggie just watched with a careful eye and continues the conversation. Steve slowly walked down the hall towards the bedroom looking in at each one then through window and room where EJ leaped for his life. A cold feeling was still present as if the room stood still in time.


“Not much look at is there?” Jim replies as he stands next to Steve. Steve looks through his brother’s eyes like his own, realizing that his mother was right, something is missing. For all, he could see was an empty shell of cold harden steel behind those eyes as if the warmth of life was taken from him long ago, now replaced. It was filled with something else, for it has no soul or destiny it just is.


Where his brother had gone too he does not know, for the man that stood by his side is not whom he remembers as he looks into his eyes. Steve puts his arm around his brother as they both look out the same window. Neither saying a word for words or thoughts could not represent the true meaning, as Jim answer back without being asked the question.


“Their gone and I know it was me,” as he closed the door to the room. He sits on the bed with his head in his hands tells Steve what happened long ago. On one fateful night when a man with red eyes saved his life; “then in return, I signed a contract with him with a promise. I was young and foolish then, just kid myself when it happened. I thought I had the world at my fingertips.


"I was young full of life, things were good, a new job and gal by my side. When it happened all he was asking for was little thing and he was joking so I thought at the time. I figured nothing would come of it. Years later he showed up again reminding me of our contract as time was slipping through my fingers. I knew then what he wanted and it was not a joke, but I couldn’t do it as I looked at my wife then. I couldn’t tell her what I had done; she would have never forgiven me.


“Then we had another child. a girl which seemed to please us both and take the pressure off, then two girls almost back to back then our last child being a boy. I knew I had no choice as I looked at my oldest I feared him, hated him. Knowing what he might become. Then the hate-consumed me more and more as I looked at his face every day of his life. I knew it. Because I signed that contract on his life so I might live longer to see my children grow up except for him.


“Yet he needed two consummate the deal, there was a small chance I thought. If we could send him away to a place where Morgan couldn’t find him; my son would have a chance, but his mother would not leave things alone. As she shuffles him back and forth from home to home.


“Now his brother is gone as well, mixed in the same mess that I tried to avoid long ago. Yes, Steve, there is nothing for me to look at out that window. For I know it is better that they are not found and I don’t or anyone else knows where they are.  For if he did come back. I could never look him in the eye or put my arms around him because I do not feel any love for him and can’t, and won’t, knowing I took his life away the moment he was in my arms.


“That he died as the coldness entered my heart for him and his brother. For he is better off staying away from where I could not touch him, as I would say to people that ask on the street. ‘How’s your oldest son? His is dead now.’ As I walk away hoping for his sake that he is. For there I know is the place Morgan cannot touch him beyond the grave. In hopes, he gets another chance to live the life he wanted without us, for his price has been paid in blood and tears as I look out that window. Knowing Morgan has taken him as his Dark Prince, in the end, he will kill him for there can only be one.”


Steve took a good look at Jim, thinking he is off his rocker as he tells him about a man he signed a contract with more or less a life contract. He never heard of such a ridicules tale in his life. “Come on Jim, wake up.” Steve trying to shake him loose, “there is no such thing. Mother just said that she and Richard are out seeing the world with her grandsons most likely to take the pressure off you. You are talking like there are demons and monsters out there.” Steve replied as he pointed towards the window.


Jim looks him in the eye as the anger builds inside him, yells screaming in white-hot anger. “Steve, there are soldiers in my house right now, they are here to protect us from Morgan who you are calling a mad man. That maid in there is more than just maid for my wife and the girls, you tell her that Morgan is just mad man I’m sure she would and could blast you to kingdom come with a simple wave of her hand.”


Aggie could hear the screaming down the hall as her eyes turned red, hands tighten then stands. “Please excuse me, I have some children to attend to,” as she marches down the hall opening the door.  Then closed it behind her, then there was nothing but silence in the room. No shouting, but calmness as Aggie fixed her eyes on both of them holding still with their mouth shut.


They could not move or speak just stand there watching her as she restrains them like little children. “Now that’s better,” giving each a stern look. “Now you may sit,” as she releases them. Crossing her legs as she sat on the bed across from them, “I am so glad we’re having this nice little chat, but we do not scream in this house, I will not allow it. If you can not play nice, you children will learn to. Do I make myself clear? Nod yes or no…”


They both nod yes… “Good. Now then what you chose not to believe is so Steve as you look at your brother and his wife. Things you might not believe in as fairy tales some or indeed can happen and are possible and are very real. If they weren’t I would not be here, neither would those soldiers which by the way are good men compared to your brother, but I do have hope for him, small hope,” giving him a stern look.


“Now then listen and listen good, because I am only going to tell you this once. Morgan has his son; he is very powerful in dark shadow magic. He thrives on it; he lives on the suffering of souls he has afflicted liked your brother. He feeds on the anger it leads him to it as a beacon. This why I can not allow it in this house for this house is filled with it, so much anger it cries out to him. Even if they move it would make no difference because it would follow them where ever they go.”


Then she stops as if the walls where listening as the ground shakes around them. There are whispers of evil as a cold breath surrounds the room. Aggie with one push forward not touching the door as if energy surrounded her, the door splinters into a million pieces.


“Quickly get out of this house!” Soldiers grabbing everyone in the living room taking them outside, to a safe location they have made for their escape. Aggie headed out the door pulling Steve and Jim by the arm as they look back. Lightning striking the house as all windows are blown out. Steve and Loraine gasp as they watch. The house being torn to shreds from the inside out then gone, leaving nothing but piles of shredded old boards.


Neighbors screaming as they panic, trying to find a safe place as the house fell back to the ground in the same spot smashed to bits. Pieces flying everywhere on the ground against the side of other houses; the ground burnt where the grass was once green and trees are now dead. Aggie and the soldiers look up in the sky seeing dark riders circling about as they came down the road.


Linda screams as the girls cry from fear as their father holds them tight.  “Now do you believe me?” Aggie asked as they got closer. Steve holding Loraine tight, Doc’s face turned white with fear. Aggie and the soldiers step of out the safe zone as they take on the dark riders…


Steve and Loraine watched gasping as their swords blaze against theirs, sparks flying after each hit. Aggie still protecting them with everything she got until the soldiers kill the dark riders, but more were coming up the road. Soldiers quickly nod to Aggie as she summons her staff, it was time for the escape sooner than she had planned and more with her then she liked. As she opens a gate with a flash of light to blind everyone else that was watching them. Aggie pushed her group of people through as the soldiers dive in at the last minute before it closes.


Aggie lights a small torch as her group looks around in a cavern somewhere only known to Aggie, for this used be her home when she grew up and spent a lot of winters here when she was least a hundred which was considered young by their standers as she thinks of all the good times, reading her first spell book that her father gave her back then. Yes, what memories, fond memories. She dusted off some old chairs and crates for them to sit on why she starts a small fire in the old fireplace. Linda screams as a mouse runs over her foot. Aggie grins. “It just a mouse looking for some food that’s all.”


Doc busying himself studying some old pictures hanging on a wall with his hands clasped behind his back. Steve, Loraine trying to get over the shock of what they saw and whiteness for themselves as Doc smiles back at Steve like it was nothing new to him as if this sort of thing happens to him on daily bases.


“Well folks,” Aggie stands. “That’s, that. Your home is gone, not that I cared for it anyway.” She looked at Steve and Jim really hard. “I told you and I told you, Jim. You can not scream in that house and especially in that room. He knows and will always know no matter where you are at, he can find you because that anger draws him like bees to a honey pot. Even more so since he has your son and is looking for your youngest boy.”


Doc and Steve just glanced with their eyes for they know where the boys are. Well at least Doc does and Linda as she to smiles inside, but deep inside it breaks her heart looking at her husband that she can not be with them. Aggie continues, “you must get that under control and soon or we will never be safe unless you like being hunted down like a wild animal. Because right now you are,” giving him a stern look.


“Sorry,” Aggie said turned to Loraine. “Sorry that we have to deal with two boys that don’t know how ….to behave themselves…”Looking in their direction. “And put all of us in such danger. Sorry Linda,” putting her arm around her. “That your ungrateful…. husband and his brother…. Got us into this mess…”


Steve tries to open his mouth then looks at Aggie as she pops her head around he closes it…. “But most of all I’m really sorry that I can’t change the fact that we are pretty much stuck together except for one person.” As she looked over at Doc, he is the only one not affected. “So I will do what I can for him leaving you to think about the mess your in. While I bring back some supplies for our Journey…”


“Journey?” They squeaked out.


“You heard me. Good.”


The six of them look at her if she was nuts. As she taps Doc on the shoulder and smiles. “Shall we my good sir?” She asked. Doc grinned. Looks at the group bewilder as the two soldiers make things a bit more comfortable for them. Then nods as Aggie puts her arm around him whispers in his ear he grins looking at them all and nods again.


“I couldn’t agree with you more,” grinned some more. “Yes, I think she can handle that, be good for them. No problem at all I’ll take care of it.” Then Doc walked up to Steve and Loraine. “I’ll watch over things while you're gone. I know just the people that are looking for a place for a while as caretakers for you. Please have a good time knocking some sense into your brother.” 


Doc kisses Linda on the cheek. “You my dear, please listen to what your heart tells you for your mind will always lie. When comes to your sons EJ and Danny. Sometimes you need to just let them live their own life how they want, not how you want them to. And you girls have a lot to learn about being sisters and need to learn that brothers or not dirt under your fingernails or something you can just throw away. In time you will realize you might need them and they won’t be there because you have thrown them too far.”


Doc steps back then nods to Aggie as she opens a gateway to New Downing in the back of Docs hospital. He waves as they both walk through it leaving the rest behind to ponder the mess they left behind.


As Aggie pulled together a list of things they will need walking right into the Sheriff as she checks off her list. “Sorry, Nathaniel I didn’t see you there.” Nathaniel looks around for Linda starts to growl. “Oh don’t you dare growl at me you over-sized two-headed lizard.”


“I thought I told you to stay with Linda no matter what?”


“I did,” pushing with her finger at his chest hard into a corner. Nathaniel grabs her arm dragging her behind the back of the building casting ward around them. Aggie just steps out pulling his arm off him “unhand me or I’ll tie you in a knot. She safe their all safe for the moment providing her husband and his brother can shut up for five minutes.”


“What do you mean by all safe?” He asked.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

49 Views
Added on February 20, 2019
Last Updated on January 24, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep