Gifts of Plenty

Gifts of Plenty

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 15

Gifts of Plenty

 


Everyone said how good the roast beef was, being so tender that it could be cut with a fork; and how divine Pa’s dinners rolls were, as they melted in your mouth with each bite. Ma had six that made her burp with pleasure with and a silly grin saying excuse me taking another. Susan and Becky were quickly ignored while everyone visited with the Whitmore’s our main guests.


Ma was still stunned as she sat fingering the new dinnerware as she tried not to cry, but it couldn’t be helped as she dabbed her eyes with a napkin. Thanking Pa and the boys for such an exquisite gift that no words could describe. Getting up and giving us a hug and a kiss on both our cheeks and an extra one for Pa leaving him breathless. Pa stood tapping his butter knife with an announcement that would shock us all.


Apparently, Pa, Grandma, and Ma had been discussing my future. He stood behind my chair placing his hands on my shoulders; Ma and Grandma gave him the go-ahead to proceed. “Ma and I have made a decision regarding our son EJ. With the help of his Grandmother we have decided; if it is ok with you son? We would like to adopt you and make you a permanent member of our family.”


I sat there shocked. They wanted me; me with all my problems. They wanted to give me a home so I would never have to leave. Never see another foster home again. I could be happy here and loved. All I could say as the tears ran down my cheeks was “Yes I would very much like that.” But it bothered me that they said nothing regarding my brother Aaron. Grandma came over giving me a hug seeing my disappointment. Stating that she will do whatever she could to keep Aaron safe. The battle wasn’t over yet as far as he was concerned. It was going to be hard enough stealing me away from them, but she was and the Downing’s were going to do their very best to make it happen.


Pa cleared his throat stating “while we let this fine dinner settle that we could all adjourn to the living while the boys cleared the table and finish the dishes; then we would have a little dancing and some entertainment, afterward our desert.” Ma and our sisters were flabbergasted having to sit for once and enjoy the evening. Grandma insisted to help, but Pa just brought her chair and led her and our guests to the living room. Pa brought me over and sat me on Ma’s lap taking a seat next to us, setting my legs and feet across them. Pa realizing we were really going to need a bigger house; if we continued to grow at this rate.


Having two live-in Aunts and a Grandmother; plus Aaron and his sisters, regardless if they were just visiting. We didn’t have a guest room; having all the boys sharing one room, and his daughters sharing their room with Susan and Becky so the aunts and Grandma could have their privacy. To say we were stuffed to the rafters would be true enough. Ma was quickly running out of corners to put everyone, but somehow there would be always room for one more. If Pa had to set up the Te-epee or open up the barn; no one would ever be turned away.


Ma grinned at me and squeezed my shoulders laying my head against her. She had everything she could possibly want and more whispering to me how much she loved me. Whispered in Pa’s ear stating she had a surprise of her own. Not letting Pa and the boys outdo her. Doctor Whitmore passed around the photo album and told stories about
Africa. While his wife brought everyone up to date regarding the gowns her husband and boys were wearing. Apparently, they have done this a time or two while Frank, Mark, and Peter tried not to blush and gave a quick twirl that made everyone laugh.


Pa sat me in his spot while he took Ma’s hand and bowed asking her if she would like to dance; and led her to the dining room while Robert turned on the recorder player, coming back to take Julie’s hand. Robert and Will did offer his hand to Susan and Becky, but they simply declined. He shrugged his shoulders and danced with Anna instead and Will danced with Julie. You could see the hatred radiating off them, so much it gave you cold shivers to be anywhere near them, but that wasn’t going to ruin our evening.


It was time for dessert. Robert and Will quickly brought in the new dessert plates and napkins. Will gave a quick snap with a napkin causing Ma to jump; he just grinned and laid it in her lap.  While Pa dished out the apple cobbler and homemade vanilla ice cream with a dab of whip cream; Grandma stood to help, but Pa insisted that she remain seated. Ma and our sisters were more than surprised to find out the boys were responsible for dinner and the desert; Pa said he just mainly supervised. He and Ma were going to have a long talk about recipes. Taking her second piece of cobbler, feeling stuffed. She nearly waddled back to her seat; licking the fork clean, and dabbing every last crumb with her fingers.


The night wasn’t over yet as Robert lifted the sheet that held all our gifts, and Robert coming up from the fruit cellar with Pa’s new saddle that we had hidden away weeks ago; setting it down in front of him seeing his very surprised face; he was speechless. Stammering over the words trying to come up with a way to thank us; Robert quickly gave our sisters Julie and Anna’s their gifts and handing Susan and Becky’s to them with the same flourish regardless of their attitude towards them. But it seemed no matter how nice they were too them, all they could do is sneer. Lizzy told them that least they could do was say thank you, but got no response, along with a hateful glare.


Julie and Anna gasped opening the little boxes; finding the heart-shaped lockets and bottle of their favorite perfume. With tears streaming down their faces; while reading the note telling them how much we loved them and for everything they do for us; finding a picture of us inside as they quickly put it around their neck, hugging the stuffing out of us; laying kisses all over our faces before sitting back down; clasping the hearts in one hand.


Susan and Becky didn’t even bother opening their presents. Susan growled. “Filthy low life’s,” Becky tossed the unopened box on to the ground and stomped on it. Causing Lizzy to apologize for them and grabbing each of them by the arm. Swiftly marching them down the hall and locked them in their room. You could hear her yelling at them words that I won’t repeat (not important): Returning and muttering as she regained her seat and apologizing once more for their very rude behavior.


Of course, we accepted it; we weren’t about to let them ruin a fine evening and carried on without them. We placed their gifts, along with the help of their Grandmother, aside until she decided they had earned them. Pa each gave each of the ladies a new wooden jewelry box made out of rosewood. One of the most popular pieces that he and the boys made, which sold for nearly $200.00 due to the craftsmanship alone; gilded with a fine cut rose on top and a little vine of painted green leaves with red and white roses around its edges.


It truly was worth the price with three compartments padded with red felt and golden hinges. Their eyes held tears as they pushed them away with their fingers stumbling for words. Mrs. Whitmore was speechless when she opened hers, even more so finding a new wedding ring with birthstones of each of the children and pair of earrings. That made her gasped seeing the note inside from her husband and boys telling her how much they loved her.


Will reached below lifting boxes for each sister and Ma containing a new dress. Robert carried over a box full of wrapped toys for Aaron and Sam. Some of them handmade by me; consisting of wooden blocks, cars and a train set and others from the catalog. Which included a new cowboy hat and little belt holster with twin pop guns. Their eyes were as big as basketballs when they looked outside seeing a new bike with their name on it.

You would think it was Christmas the way everyone was acting. The girls squealed holding the new dresses as they twirled around the room with them, which brought more kisses and hugs. Pa had a special surprise waiting out in the barn that he had been working on. A brand new four-poster bed draped with flowers, but he wanted to surprise her later with. For now, he kept it hush, hush.


The evening died down and the Whitmore’s said their goodbyes, saying they will visit often. It was nearly
midnight by the time we went to bed. Grandma and the aunts shuffled her granddaughter’s presents to her room for safekeeping. Came back to give us all the boys a kiss before turning in; watching my Pa and Ma leave hand in hand towards the barn. I could only imagine the surprised look on her face when she saw what Pa had done, but that was none of my business as I fell quickly to sleep; pondering my new last name in my mind. I couldn’t wait to write it at the top of my homework. Banishing my first and last name where it belonged in a house of horrors.


It truly was a day to remember; one of my best memories I had of the family I loved more than life itself. It saddens me how happy I could have been if things turned out differently and if fate would have left me alone or my parents could have left well enough alone instead letting their selfish pride get in the way. But there still plenty of good times to remember before we talk about those events.


Fate always seemed to screw up things when it raises its head for good or bad; it was like throwing dice in a crap-shoot and coming up snake eyes. Grandma had just received a telegram from my Aunt Margaret or known by most as Aunty M. Who lives in
Salt Lake City and her husband Mike Cotwellar another very distant relative on my Grandmother side married in just barely enough to be called a relative; who I have met a few times whenever they came down for Christmas when I was younger. I had been told she is known as a black sheep for her wild ways of living; whatever that’s supposed to mean?


My Aunt Margaret was heads taller than my Grandma at six feet eight inches, with raven black hair with gray streaks that seemed to make her older. She had hard straight noses and steely blue eyes that always seemed to look into your very soul. She knew without a doubt if you were telling fibs or a tall tale. She was stubborn as the rest of us and most likely could give a mule a lesson or two. She had secrets on everybody, relation or not. If there is a secret you do not want her to know, you might as well give up; she most likely already knew it.


She was in her late seventies but could hold her own and work you under the table as if she was still in her prime. My parents never did like her due two reasons: One being she was nosey wanting to know every little thing that was going on regarding her children and how they are raised. The other was she was a firm believer of anti-LDS; or any religion that hides its problems behind closed doors. Or even worse, how they should live their lives; calling them hypocrites when it came to family relations or getting involved with politics evolving children and how they raise them with such high standards yet leave none for themselves. Trust me; you don’t want to bring up the topic of Mormonism anywhere near her.


Mike, on the other hand, had been sick for a very long time according to my Grandmother. Was the first person besides my Grandfather, to take an interest in her when she was growing up. But it was my Grandfather that won her hand in marriage. I have been told he owned a sheep ranch and lumber mill and could put most men to shame. Either shaving the wool off a sheep or chopping down trees or riding bareback on a log train, going down the river.

In his prime he was the average height of most men built with muscular arms like Pa, but no bigger than seven feet six inches. He had a way of making you feel right at home and was a gentle as they come and would give you the shirt off his back if you need help in any way. He had one bad habit of smelling like a can of old sardines. Which he ate like candy, all I can say is eww; when it comes to bad breath with a mixture of Halls Cough Drops.


Apparently, he died a few days ago, requesting her and my aunts to come for the funeral that would take place the next day. I was fine, with staying here while my aunts took my sisters with them. Leaving my brother here to play with Sam, and not be underfoot running wild in a funeral home; with ADHD would not be her first choice. Besides, like I said. I barely knew the man or my Aunt Margaret accepted the things my Grandmother has told me. I promised to be good as my sisters sneered past me on the couch and watched through the window as they each got in one of my aunt's cars. Just by that alone, I knew a tongue lashing was coming and wanted no part of it.


Will and Robert couldn’t wait to dress in their new Kitenge gowns. Ma had to take them in a little so the boys wouldn’t trip over their sandal feet when they twirled making us dizzy watching them. I couldn’t wait to try it, but I think I might feel a draft underneath without having my boxers. Just thinking about it brought a blush to my cheeks.


Us boys soon learned not to spin in the house with our sandals on. They caused black marks on the floor and as I watched Robert take a piece of my sandpaper and; buffing them out adding wax shavings so Ma wouldn’t find them. My brothers carefully set the sandals outside on the porch waiting for Ma to finish bathing me. Telling me to take it slow or she’d have my Grandmother paddle my butt until it was blue. Like I said they have never raised a hand on me or the children. I quickly said I promise while she draped me in my blue gown and sent me on my way, watching me hobble with two crutches down the hall to freedom.


It was nice to have freedom once more as I watched Aaron and Sam dressed in overalls, barefoot and shirtless with holster and guns by their side, playing cowboy. Swing a cowboy hat in the air while riding a broom handle as their horse. It always brings a smile on my face when I remember the good days like these when my brother was allowed to be just a kid. Instead of not having any friends to play with and trying to stay live in a house of horrors; breaks my heart knowing nothing I do can will ever make it right. Hoping my Grandmother would keep her promises by keeping him safe come hell or high water.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Another excellent and engaging chapter. I think your sisters should have been forced to stay outside.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Shep

4 Years Ago

I agree... thanks for the review
You sounded happier here I hope this isn’t the calm before the storm well written as all the other chapters

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

65 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 7, 2019
Last Updated on January 30, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep