Behind Enemy Lines part 2

Behind Enemy Lines part 2

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 36-1

Behind Enemy Lines

Part 2

 


Change could be a good thing sometimes. When I woke Shane had already had gone and his sleeping bag was rolled up and placed in the corner of my room. It was nearly nine o’clock that Saturday morning and the sun felt almost too hot on my bare back. I sat up in my bed looking out my bedroom window and saw Shane mowing the lawn without his shirt and Arthur raking up the lawn were Shane had previous mowed and none of the boys and Dad had shirts on all wearing shorts. I could only imagine what my parents would think about seeing all this immodesty in plain sight.


I didn’t know if Shane was being punished for last night having to give me two showers. Keeping his word that my fever would not go above 102, he watched me all night long checking every two hours. We didn’t let it get above 100; before I was in that shower. We didn’t bother with staying decent, consider we were guys and everyone was or should have been sleeping. Of courses, Jody couldn’t resist seeing us by opening her bedroom door almost the seconded we walked by; annoying little sisters. It was our own fault thinking we could do it and nobody would be the wiser. In truth we were doing it for convinces, being it was easier rather than having to undress and redress so often. The fact was we should have known better. But we were guys. It was more like walking from our locker to the shower in the boy’s locker room.


Mom was laughing all the way down the hall as Jody was telling her all about it; Jody saying. “Mom you should have seen it. Shane and Eric walking down the hall arm and arm without a stitch on. If only I had a camera. I almost missed them the first time as they tried to tipsy toe passed my door. I could have called it Nude by Moonlight by Jody Rothwell. ”


Mom giggling; “you shouldn’t tease them so.” Entering my room as I gave Jody a hard stare as I blushed bright red. For some reason it made her laugh even harder. Mom said, “I’m sure they were just being practical that’s all, after all, you were supposed to be sleeping; not spying on them.” Then turning to me asking how I was feeling picking up the thermometer and placing it in my mouth and feeling my forehead and cheeks.


Pulling it out and frowning telling me it was. “100 degrees… looks like your staying in bed today young man. Your Dad won’t be pleased about it considering Saturday is a busy day for us, but it can’t be helped. I don’t want a repeat of last night. So after breakfasts, I’ll have Shane douse you again and again if I have to until it says 99.8 and stays down. You two are going to be roommates until then. So you might as well get comfy;” placing the thermometer back on the dresser.


I groaned at the idea of another day in bed, but Mom refused to budge saying. “Maybe if you are good I’ll bring you something you can do, like crossword puzzles or word games. Or Jody if she has time can play a game of checkers. Trust me I can find things to keep your mind occupied.” Stopping long enough to gather mine and Shane’s dirty clothes. “However I don’t think you will be missing church tomorrow considering you have a meeting first thing in the morning. There is no way Dad would even consider it unless you are dying. But Shane can take you home if we have too and bring you right back by the end of Sunday school so you don’t miss Priesthood.”


And that was that. Mom left the room while Jody winked at me saying “Nude by Moonlight.” giggling. “Has nice ring to it don’t you think?” I was beginning to hate annoying big sisters.


When I looked back out the window Shane was washing the outside of my window and he didn’t look pleased. Shawn was helping Arthur weed the garden in the hot sun on their bare backs. In a way I envied them having to lye in bed all day basically doing nothing. My back wasn’t nearly as sore as it was a few days ago, and there was still no sign of Jeff. All I could do was sit there and sigh. I hated sitting alone waiting for time to go by. Only thing I could do is open my scriptures and read.


It was eleven o’clock before I saw Mom again with a tray of grilled cheeses leftover clam chowder that I had made yesterday for lunch. And a glass of some fruit concoction Mom had blended together with a glass of milk; and my favorite vitamin pills and herb tea that’s said to reduce fevers or scare them away by the way it tasted. Leave it to Mom not to forget. I knew what she was doing the second I saw all that liquid. It was clean out time. All I could do was drink, eat and grin and bear it; as Shane escorted me to our favorite watering hole… thankfully no annoying big sisters.


I had learned from Shane that Dad and Mom had decided to even out the chores between all of us. Saying it was time that “all her boy’s” needed to pick up the slack. If Dad was going to make them participate in scouting and mutual, things needed to change. We as a family would have time for other things before summer was completely gone and doing chores together as a family would bring us closer to each other and God. Two things he had promised that Friday when the Bishop was here, and apparently he meant every word.


Dad had also decided that I would move in with Arthur in the weeks to come, so he and Mom could turn my room into a nursery and playroom. Plus it was the quietest room in the house so when the baby cries only Mom and Dad would hear it, and the noise would be minim during when the baby is napping. It worried me about going down to the basement, even more so sharing my room with someone that hated me. It didn’t make me feel any better, but apparently, I had no choice in the matter either. It was what it was.


Throughout the day Dad would come by my room and check on me. Making sure that I was doing my reading and writing in my Journal; Personally, I hated writing. I couldn’t spell, my handwriting sucked, but I have been told that I write better than my father. Not that was a consolation prize or anything considering I hated his guts. Mostly Dad would check my temperature, calling Shane anytime it was 100. And once again we would go to our favorite watering hole. I had never felt so clean in my life. I thought I was becoming a prune.  I did, however, smell like soap and my skin was silky smooth and my hair was velvety soft from all the showers.


Since it had been nearly four hours since my last cold shower and my temperature was 99.9 Dad had convinced Mom that I could eat my Dinner at the table and to give me a break from my room. What I wanted to do was help in the kitchen instead of lying there like a sick puppy. I was tired of reading and had done over twenty-five-word games, ten puzzles and six games of checkers. I hated seating in my boxers being the only one of the boys that were sitting at the table in them; well except for Shane, but at least he had a shirt on. Mom left nothing to chance as I sat there in a chair near to the table, but not at the table; instead with a tray across my lap and the chair. Placing clean towels on the counter nearby for Shane and me just in case we needed them in a hurry.


It didn’t matter that I said I was fine and not a little faint. Well just a little, but I wasn’t going to tell her that. I sighed softly, Dad taking my hand and Shane scooting enough over to take my other one.  While Arthur sat in my old spot against the wall next to Dad; you got to love musical chairs. Mom had Shane and Shawn move the counter bar stools into the family room, leaving a straight shot across the room and turn the corner without bumping into anything.


Luckily nothing happened as Mom and Dad checked me every ten minutes if I even began to feel warm. She was determined that fever wasn’t about to come back if I had to live in that shower. I tried to calculate how many gallons of water I have used alone in the past week. Probably enough to fill a small swimming pool.  But nothing happened and I was glad. Embarrassed, but glad. As I looked over at the Rothwell’s I was starting to get over my grief of missing the Downing’s. Thinking the Rothwell’s really aren’t that bad. So far they had done their best the past week to make sure I was well taken care of. Not once during this week had they called me mule boy. But used my name correctly even Dad sometimes forgets to insult me by saying Earick.


Arthur would glare at me from time to time, but Dad would whisper a couple of times to him and he would be back to timid Arthur, head bowed and eyes cast down. Shawn just plains ignore me altogether. Kerry would glance at me from time to time, but no one engages me in conversation; other than check to see if I was still alive.


Jared and Jason would smile at me, and then quickly look away as if they were not allowed to even make eye contact with me. Jody and Shane would ask me what was like to live on a farm. I would give veg answers. Like. “It was great, we worked hard and we played hard and we did everything together as a family.” If I said any more than that I would choke up. Quickly drink my milk or my water to stop me from tearing up. The memories were still too painful to talk about.


Dad and Mom would clear their throats before delving too deep, regarding anything remotely of my past life as if it was a dirty little secret. Personally, I didn’t mind. Considering in some way’s it was none of their business. When the meal was done, Mom had the boys clear the table saying that tonight it was Shawn’s job to help with dishes and Jared could help. Arthur was excused back to his room until family prayer. While I watched Jody and Shane clear the table as I sat there twiddling my thumbs and watched from my chair.


Mom took the towels and carried them into the bathroom saying when Jared and Jason were done with their baths. Shane, I could take ours and set me on the couch in the living room until family prayer; asking Jody if she would be so kind to bringing me a blanket and a pillow to make me more comfortable. At least it was better than my room and I was starting to get goosebumps sitting so exposed. I knew if my parents saw me like this they would be furious unless they were punishing me or wanting to embarrass me having my sisters seeing me almost most naked.


What I didn’t count on was Mom and Dad ambushing me in the living-room. Apparently, it was to talk about how I was going to behave in church. Dad and Mom had decided for now at least that I would be sitting with them like last time through sacrament meeting. And if there were no problems, I would tend my meetings with Shane. In case Arthur caused any problems like last week Dad would be available to take care of them. Also so Shane could drive me home if my fever decided to spike. Even though it was for the best, I still didn’t like it. Always being watched can creep a person out. It was starting to get old. I was told to obey all the rules or there would be consequences. I agreed and said “I would do my best to be on my best behavior,” and they were satisfied.


Dad decided to set the tone for Sunday having a quick devotional opening with a hymn and having Shawn say an opening prayer. I was in charge of reading a chapter of scripture in the bible where the family left off. I was nervous at first, but I was a very good reader once my nerves went away. Mom said I did fine for my first family devotional. Dad ended it with family prayer.


This time I didn’t look so out of place not being the only one in boxers. Dad prayed stating that we would all feel the spirit tomorrow and would hope that being fast Sunday that we would take the courage and bare our testimony. For we as a family have a lot to be grateful for and humble our selves before God. Mom was crying again.


I was beginning to think it was a woman thing considering she always cries when Dad gives the prayer. Did I mention I hated Fast Sundays? Shane followed me as we made our way down the hall sticking my pillow under my arm and knelled one last time as each of us said our individual prayers knowing Dad was standing in my door making sure that I didn’t; forget. Even when I lived with the Frys as strict as they were when came to religion, I have never in my entire life prayed as much as I did living with the Rothwell’s.


We were luckily only once did we have to make our way down to our favorite watering hole. Personally, I think we would have been fine, but Shane promised if my temperature reached 100 he would douse me until it drops. I think Shane and I had to be the cleanest boys in church that Sunday. That dirt avoided us knowing if it landed on us it was going to scream. Jody for once didn’t come out to watch our nude silhouettes in the moonlight. But something needed to be done as we whispered secret plans on how to get even.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

39 Views
Added on May 9, 2019
Last Updated on January 31, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep