Sisterly Love Part 1

Sisterly Love Part 1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 39

Sisterly Love

Part 1


It was almost daybreak when I woke that Monday morning; my back was killing me and on fire as I laid on it all night long. Shane was still asleep snoring lightly beside me. I didn’t want to wake him considering it was most likely the best sleep we’d have had over the past week.


I laughed thinking about Will and Robert and how I missed them even now as I listen to Shane sleep. I couldn’t resist yelling “Fire: Fire! The hospitals on fire;”  watching Shane jump and fall to the floor and two nurses come running in seeing Shane’s hair sticking up as if he was a punk rocker, his makeshift bed ruined.


I laughed as he glared back at me. I said “I couldn’t resist,” but it seems I gotten my self in trouble again. Oh well, it was worth it. Shane said I would pay dearly for that, I just smiled as if it was me that had all the cream. The cream soon soured as they brought in more needles and blood drawing kit; I wanted to say which one of you wants to land on the floor, but I didn’t. 


Shane smiled knowing how I hated needles took a seat snuggling what heat was left under his blanket; stating “this going to be fun, its payback little brother.”


It took eight nurses to hold me down calling for backup by the time they’d drilled me for oil. Two of them were on the ground. Remarking for a scrawny little boy I was strong as an ox while I wailed with terror being strapped to the bed just so they could take my precious blood. When they were done they calmly released me. Shane was busy busting a gut. I didn’t think it was a bit funny. Neither did the nurses that had been sprawled onto the floor. I hated needles with a passion.


It was another hour before they brought breakfast in. Shane lifted the lid on his tray waving it in his faces saying. “Just smell that aroma of fresh scrambled eggs, french toast made of white… thick… slices of white bread and hot maple syrup.” We both knew Mom would disapprove, but she wasn’t here so we dug in. Shane saying “Oops we forgot to pray.” Taking another bite as if it was to die for while I watched his eyes roll as he savored each bite he took.


Shane made his manly trip in nothing but his boxers with toothbrush and toothpaste in hand and a white hospital towel over his bare shoulder to take care of some business while the nurses took care of me. It wasn’t my first rodeo having a sponge bath in bed. I had learned to get over my modesty in a hospital quickly; I just had a hard time with it at home with complete strangers. I don’t know why it’s different, but it is.


Shane and I figured that nursing staff hated seeing people wearing clothes even more so if you’re a guy. Quote “flaunt it if got it,” as I watched Shane talking to a cute girl in a candy stripe uniform. Wearing nothing but his boxers, and her giving her phone number; giving the hand sign call me and giggled as she watched his backside return to my room.


I was told that if my temperature leveled out almost normal they would move me to a more private room. I could have my own bathroom instead of peeing in a hospital container. But I refused to sit on a plastic toilet while the world watched me do my business. They agreed, telling me the walk would do me good. By the time Shane came back into my room, I was dressed in a hospital gown taking my own trip in the moonlight as my bare butt and back kept sticking out because the hospital gown was too small. With IV stand attached to me. Preventing my gown to closes in the back.


It was better than sitting on a plastic toilet in the middle of the room. Unlike home, once the bathroom door closed I exhaled having complete privacy to do my business alone and in peace, except when the annoying nurse knocked on the door and opening it every five minutes; to check if I was alright.


When I got back to my room Shane was dressed except for his shoes and socks and Kerry and Jody were sitting in my room waiting for me. I sighed as the nurse helped me down the hall had me sit for a minute while I waited for them to finish changing my bed. She asked if I wanted them to wait outside while they put me back to bed. I shook my head and said. “They can stay. It’s not like that hadn’t seen me naked before considering they are my sisters.” The nurse smiled and nodded as she went to check the supplies she was going to need for my back.


Jody hugged me and kissed every inch of both my cheeks just like Anna and Julie would, oh how I missed them. Jody stepping back too let her big sister to do the same. Shane just laughed telling them that he was just about ready to go, slipping on his shoes and socks and tying the laces. Jody telling me she would be back with Mom after my social worker left and spend the night with me so Kerry could help Mom run the house and so she could take care of Jared and Jason. Stated they would each take turns so I wouldn’t be alone. I nodded while Shane told Kerry a white lie, that we had already said our morning prayers.


Shane put his hand on my shoulder telling me not to worry about Dad. He just needs time to cool off and he'd come back around. He knew Dad scared me more than Mom; she only frightens me when I am in a tub of water. I doubt I would ever get the image out of my mind. Even today; I still dream of it and the many beatings that Dad had given me and the other dark secrets that linger of the horrors I faced in that home. I whispered, “if he would look after Arthur even though he hated me with good reason.” He nodded he would, and I knew he would try to be a little kinder to him.


Cruelty is a hard thing to break when you were raised in it. I consider my self lucky to have had the Fry’s and the Steeds and most of all the Downings. I hated to see Shane leave because of how close we had come over the past two weeks. Yet I knew he’d be back and couldn’t sit with me 24/7. Leaving Arthur too do all my chores.


I quickly stood and hugged him and thanked him as my gown showed my backside feeling the cold breeze. He hugged me back. Charging Kerry with my safety; she promised that nothing would happen to me in his absence. Shane lifted his duffel bag over his shoulder and Jody placed another kiss on my cheek before leaving with Shane.


Kerry made herself comfortable in Shane’s spot taking off her shoes and socks, rubbing her feet. Groaning how good it felt to take them off. Opened up her bag of books and supplies to keep her self busy with some needlepoint. While the nurses and the Doctor came back to play with my back or should I say to torture me. 


I had worst things to worry about being naked in front of my foster sister Kerry as she took my hand; while I laid there screaming and crying in pain as they removed the old bandages and replacing them with new ones. Waiting for the pain drugs to kick in through the IV, while it seemed like forever as I laid there holding my sister's hand as I sobbed against the bed. When it was done and they covered me telling her I should sleep now feeling the dizziness and the pain was subsiding. Kerry held my hand as I fell asleep.


It seemed like hours before I woke, finding Kerry gone and Mom and Jody taking her spot. Mom quickly came to my bedside as I panicked and bolted arching my back only to be brought back down as the pain took hold of me.  I laid there on my stomach to let the sting die down and slowly and painfully rolled over groaning breathing fast. Listening to my heart beep faster, until I could get a grip. When my heart rate and breathing slowed; I slowly opened my eyes.


I pressed the button for the nurse like they told me to do; if the pain became unbearable. Taking quick short breaths letting out a painful scream; bring Mom and Jody instantly to my side. It seemed like hours, but it was only minutes as the nurse put the pain medicine in my IV; and I slowly let out a sigh of relief, letting the soft tears of pain roll down my cheeks. Mom asking if I was alright saying she was sorry she freighted me. I told her “it was my fault for reacting and I should have known better.” I laid there letting the pain medicine do its work and pressed the cool button to let me sit up without having to move. I tell you every bed should have one.


Mom asked the nurse how I was doing telling her that I had a good chance of moving me to another room later today. Since my fever had started to break and I didn’t need critical care. Mom sighed with relief asking when I might be able to go home. The nurse stating it could be by the end of the week, but depends if they can keep the fever from coming back and the infection to a minimum. Mom frowned nodding letting the nurse go as another brought me in a late lunch.


Mom frowning as she opened the lid finding nothing healthy except the small green salad  Everything else was unhealthy; sliced turkey on thick slices of white bread and frozen carrots and peas, a pudding cup and orange pop to drink. Jody stated. “Mom let it go. It’s not going to kill him.” Taking her finger and tasting the gravy, and stealing my chocolate pudding cup and my spoon.

 I glared saying. “Hey that’s my desert;” she just laughed taking a huge spoon full going; “mmm.” You just got to hate annoying big sisters.


Mom wiped my chin setting the tray on the table meaning it was time to talk. Starting with everyone miss me at home. I had my doubts about that one. Thinking of Shawn and Arthur, I asked how it went with the social worker. Mom frowning avoiding my eyes saying it didn’t go well. Mom stating that she told her that I was in the hospital due to high fever from infection and asked her to reschedule, but instead she said she be by to see me later today around four. Kerry went home to start dinner so it would be done by the time Dad came home from work. I looked at the clock on the wall telling me it was 2:30.


Mom indicated that she would like to kill time having me read to her from my scriptures. Personally, I would have liked to watch TV or go hanging gliding. So I did what she told me to as she placed them in my hands. The words were kind of burly due to the drugs, but I knew better than to disobey.


Jody took off her shoes and climbed in bed with me, sharing my pillow. Again it was nothing new to have a sister like Anna or Julie climb in bed with me or any of her brothers, but I can guarantee that Susan and Becky or any of my parents didn’t. Just the thought of it gave me cold shivers. Mom smiled taking a seat and scooted it close to my bed. When everyone was settled, I read and Mom worked on some sewing dawning one of Dads work shirts.


It was almost four when we stopped. Having the nurse announced I had a visitor. Seeing the social worker walking in the door noticing Jody snuggled next to me. Mom stood to shake her hand and put on a pleasant face. My caseworker staring at me said. “Young man; you are deeply in trouble, and in only two short weeks. That’s got to be a record even for you;” smiling sweetly. Asking Mom and Jody to leave the room for a few minutes so she talks to me alone.

Mom didn’t like the idea as her eyes said don’t tell her. I said. “Mom I am not going anywhere and I’ll be alright.” My caseworker closed the door and the blinds calling for a nurse to attend to me; wanting to see the damage for her self.


The nurse obliges helping me turn over as I groaned with pain. Doing her best not expose me, not that it matter much considering the whole world had seen my butt by now. But I was glad that the nurse didn’t expose it all the way. I heard my caseworker gasp seeing the damage for the first time asking me how it happened. I really, really wanted to tell her the truth, but with Mom so near.


I decided to stay with the lie for my own safety. Family court has taught me one thing. It didn’t matter if I was beaten by my father or my mother even with documented proof of pictures. They still favored the abuser over the child. So I did my best to say. “Ma’am, it was a skateboard accident.” Repeating the lie on how it happened. The nurse slowly rolled me back over as I groaned and breathed real hard trying to get a grip on the pain and letting it die down while I waited for her to confer with the nurse regarding my fever caused by the infection.


I knew she didn’t believe me as she asked how long ago did this happen. I told her a week and a half. Her eyes popped getting angrier as she swung open the door and started yelling at Mom outside my door.  Going toe with her asking her why I wasn’t in here sooner? Their voices died down instantly having the nurse take them to the waiting room. Jody slid in behind them and climb back in bed with me shaking as I held her in my arms. Letting her put her head on my chest telling her everything was going to be alright, knowing it would never be alright.


It was almost thirty minutes later as Mom and my caseworker came back in apologizing for their display telling me they just wanted what was best for me. I nodded said I understood and that I was tired, hoping she would go away. But she wasn’t done with Mom as she said she would be by tomorrow to visit with Arthur and James and to make sure everything was on the up and up. Mom's face paled told her James had run away and Arthur was down with the flu. Thinking it would be best to come by another day. But she wasn't putting off as she looked at me suffering in bed saying. “In that case, I will be by with a doctor so he can examine him to just to be sure he doesn’t end up here with him."


Mom knew she was in trouble while I watched her trying to get out of this slippery slope; nodding that it would be fine since she couldn’t get out of it. Personally, I didn’t want to be in her and Dads shoes and felt a glimmer of hope. It wasn’t long before the Doctor came in telling them that they would be moving me in a few minutes to another floor.  My caseworker said she be back to check on me in a couple of days and walking the doctor out. Mom and Jody quickly gathered our things as they wheeled me out, bed and all. Having them follow them.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

39 Views
Added on May 9, 2019
Last Updated on January 31, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep