Our Lips Are Sealed part 3

Our Lips Are Sealed part 3

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 41-2

Our Lips Are Sealed

Part 3

 


Grandma was true to her word letting Jody walk me back to bed as she cleaned up the towels in the bathroom considering I was mostly decent; saying that they will be in few minutes with the bandages. I knew the routine and laid on my stomach as Jody took her place next to my bed and read to me passing the time while I waited. Sometimes she would have to move to let housekeeping too vacuum.


No one complained as they cleaned my room every day like it was no big deal that two boys had the time of their lives the night before. I thanked them anyway as they smiled asking me if would like another warm blanket while I was waiting. I nodded that it would be great to feel warm again. Jody did her best to dry my hair and combing the back of it.


She held my hand while they bandaged me back up adding ointment this time instead of disinfectant that smelled worse then Moms herb remedy. But lest it was cool and refreshing. They asked if wanted a gown to cover my chest. I declined telling them I was more than fine just wearing my boxers. Personally, I didn’t care if I’d never wore another gown for the rest of my life.


Instead, I tucked the warm blanket around my shoulders and smiled that I needed nothing else for now. Grandma came in every thirty minutes to check on me. I think she was more concerned about the trouble a young 16-year girl could get into with a boy my age. Even though I told her that I had nothing to fear from Jody.


In fact, she had saved my life when her mother tried to drown me. Jody took it in stride as she finished combing my hair and kissed my cheek. Saying I could use some more ice and water the next time she came in. I wondered if my grandma was getting paid to wait on me hand and foot or if she was doing it out of love or both and trying to keep her self busy.


My fever had seemed to lessen to almost normal throughout the day with the new regiment of drugs and how often they were changing the bandages. But I was a long ways from being out of the woods considering any movement like walking down the hall to give me exercise around the floor would bring it right back soon after. Even though it did feel good to walk around and stretch my legs, letting my IV friend follow me.


Like Shane. I didn’t care if the nurses saw me in my boxers. It was better than having my bare butt showing through a girlish gown for the whole world to see. The doctor thought I should at least do it three times a day or more if I wanted to. Until the fever would no longer be a factor; personally I liked being up and about instead of lying in the bed day after day.


Grandma bought me a pair of shorts and several pairs of socks. Just so I could feel half decent as I walked the halls. Every few hours and I could lay comfortable without having a blanket over me all day and night long. Jody was thrilled to walk me down the hall because it meant that I was getting better. At first, it made me dizzy but got better as I progressed through the day taking it slowly having to sit every so often. I pushed my self until I could walk around twice around the floor like it was race track without having to sit down.


By the time Kerry and Shane came back, I was walking back to my room after completed the circle for the third time. Shane and Kerry were proud of me as I felt exhausted, plopping hard onto the bed as if I had run a mile.


Grandma stating the IV was making me more tired, but I needed it to process the antibiotics; either way, it was an improvement and grandma was proud of me. Kerry asked if that meant I was going home soon. Grandma shook her head said I still had a long ways to go. Due to the fever and the infection, but even that has subsided some.


I knew it was time to change my guardians as I closed my eyes to get the room to stop spinning. Jody quickly kissed me on the cheek and rubbed my hair telling me to be good. I waved goodbye knowing I would see them all tonight or tomorrow night for family devotion and was glad that I didn’t have to prepare an oral report for once.


Kerry took her place setting down her overnight bag stating Dad had given her permission to stay the night and not attended church in the morning. After the Bishop said that he would make sure neither of us would miss the sacrament and had arranged a teacher for us. I didn’t mention that already knew about it. Shane stated he would be here after priesthood. But because of school the following morning brother Nile's would be here to watch over me each night until I came home. They would visit me after school until he arrived.


Shane looked tired and sunburned as if had worked outside all day in the hot sun, I tried not to think about it, Just knowing that I was causing everyone to work harder because of me didn’t make me feel any better, but there was nothing I could do about it either. I waited as they left. Leaving me and Kerry to watch the clock tick; wondering if I could make a few more laps before it was time to cool me down and change the bandages before dinner arrived. I groaned sitting up asking Kerry if she would walk me around again before I changed my mind.


I didn’t make the last lap nearly collapsing as grandma came to my rescue with a wheelchair cussing me for being in such a hurry; telling Kerry to sit on me if I tried it again without resting a least a couple of hours. I told her I was tired of lying in bed and I wanted to be ready if my Dad and Mom showed up tonight.


Grandma paled when I told her that they had planned to visit me tonight or tomorrow. Kerry stating that most likely would be my Dad considering he hadn’t visited me all week and maybe our mother which could change in a heartbeat. Either way, she would be with me all night long. Grandma quickly composed herself acting more of a nurse than my grandmother.


Kerry helped me back to my room letting my “nurse” attended to other things as grandma excused her self saying she would be by to take my “Stats” meaning my blood pressure and Temperature. And some more towels for both of us and make sure they added the extra dinner for Kerry. I doubted my grandmother could have walked faster without falling as she quickly picked up the phone to call for back up just in case. Mr. Rothwell came tonight. I knew she didn’t want me alone with him in the room, but sooner or later I was going to have to face the music on my own.


When Grandma came back I was nearly sweating a cold sweat and my teeth began to chatter. Kerry had covered me with several warm blankets. Telling her I was running a fever again, she started the tub and was just about call her.


Grandma thanked her placing the thermometer in my mouth and took my blood pressure saying they were both high. Not quite 102 but it was slowly climbing. Kerry helped grandma undress me before I walked to the tub. Because I was so dizzy it took two people to get me there. Grandma wasn’t so concerned about my modesty like she was with Jody and I agreed too it said. “I trusted her more than I trusted Mom,” letting them both drench me.


It was six thirty when Dad arrived and I had just made it back to bed and waiting for the nurses to replace the bandages. Dad calmly looked at my back and took the seat by my bed. Having Kerry pull the other one on the other side of me; Kerry was updating Dad when brother Nile's walked in the room with our dinners. Telling him the nurses had just changed shift and would be in momentarily. Dad stood taking the trays and setting them on the other bed and shook his hand; told him that he wasn’t expecting him tonight, considering that his daughter Kerry would be here.


Bother Nile's nodded said Bishop Lanwall had left word that all his and his wife visits were to be supervised to prevent me from harming myself after each visit. Dad stated he had heard something about it remained calm. Yet his eyes said differently as he watched brother Nile's take a seat asking if they needed any more chairs.


Dad said no, that he had planned just to spend some time alone with me. Stating tomorrow night they would be here for family devotional asking him if would wait in the waiting room until he was ready to leave nearly growling. Brother Nile's crossed his legs and leaned back making himself comfortable said: “He had no intention of leaving this room until he could guarantee his safety.”


Dad sighed heavily and said. “Fine” as the room became silent as the two were at a standoff for now anyway. It wasn’t long afterward that grandma came into the room with a nurse to help with the bandages. She almost paled seeing the size of Dad but introduced herself pointing to her name tag.


Stating she had met most of his children during the week and his wife, but haven’t had the pleasure in meeting him in person. Hoping that it didn’t sound harsh or that she was quite angry with what he had done to me. Dad nodded asking if I had tried harming myself since that night asking as if he was buying a loaf of bread.


Grandma said no, that I have been watched closely, but not once since then have I done so. Stating I have been well mannered except for when they draw my blood, and how it takes six large male nurses to hold me down ending having two of them on the floor. Dad reinstated “six male nurses for one small boy;” as if it seemed impossible. Kerry confirmed it stating it was so.


Dad watched as the nurse replied new bandages and helped me roll over, fluffing my pillow and helped me sit up so I could eat. Why grandma folds my new shorts and placed them in the drawer with my new socks. Dad asked if Mom or Shane brought them from home, but was brother Nile's that answered told him he bought them so I could have something to wear while I walked around the floor instead of my boxers. Dad said. “It wasn’t necessary if he needed clothing his wife or his children could seen to it.” Brother Nile's shrugged saying it was no big deal.


Dad let the matter drop instead asking the nurse if he could watch or help me walk around after dinner to see how I was progressing; grandma almost said no then said it would be fine as long I don’t over do it like last time. Kerry explaining that I had just returned little over an hour ago with a high fever.


Dad nodded stated he still would like me to do it if its only one lap as if his word was law. Kerry brought over my dinner and so she and I could eat before it went cold. Dad left the room to confer with the nurse regarding my care so he said. Personally, I think was to let out some steam.


Dad came back with the nurse as grandma was just taking our trays away. Said she would bring a wheelchair just in case it was too much for me. That and not trusting him as she mouth tightened as she helped me dress, but Dad wasn’t about to wait one more minute stating I was decent enough for a stroll around the floor. Kerry nearly growled but didn’t argue helping me off the bed, letting Dad follow behind as she walked my IV friend beside me.


Dad made me walk five laps having to stop several times on the last two; growling that I could do better if I wanted to after lying in bed all day. The nurse tried to stop him, but Dad wouldn’t back down dragging me out of the wheelchair. Prodding me all the way back to my room; telling Kerry that he wanted me to do five more before we went to bed tonight and six more by breakfast or I wouldn’t be allowed to eat until I did. Said it was time he saw actual progress and stop coddling me. Said if I didn’t there would be consequences for both of us.


Dad stayed long enough to watch my temperature spike again having the nurse cool me again and having them change the bandages. Grandma was more than angry going toe to toe with him said it was too much too soon. Dad didn’t agree as he stayed to make sure I walked those five more laps before he quit for the night. Told her each day he would call and ask how many laps and how many times or he be here personally making sure I did them; stating that was a guarantee.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

37 Views
Added on May 9, 2019
Last Updated on January 31, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep