Trouble Always Finds Me  Part 1

Trouble Always Finds Me Part 1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 151

Trouble Always Finds Me

Part 1


Sparky and our other pets would be completely safe as well as royally pampered while we had some fun, it was one relief I had as I got on the bus. But something told me that I couldn’t hide forever. It was a long two-hour drive or more to an amusement park. The lines were long as I looked over at the ticket booth, mostly it because it was Labor Day weekend. The other was that Lagoon would be closing for the winter, so it was the last hoorah.


Unlike today, they didn’t have Fright-mares where they would be open all through the month of September and October mostly on the weekends with a Halloween theme compared to normal days; which meant the hours they were open today would be shorter then it would be during the summer, which meant they would close at 7 pm instead of 9 or 10. By that time we would have had our fill of all the rides and all the attractions. Like I said the difference between Six Flags and here was this amusement park was on a smaller scale, but not less fun by any means. Plus it was the only place that we didn’t need a parent’s supervision for those that were 15 and older, as we broke up into groups of 6 or more once we left the starting gate with a time and place we would all meet back.


Our goal was as we left everyone in our dust was to ride as many rides as possible and as many times we could until we were dizzy or vomiting. I didn’t have to worry about anything other than have lots of fun with my friends and family and it was nice being a normal kid again. The only part I had to worry about was not having fun, and what kid would turn down the most scariest ride in the park. Time fly’s when you are having fun and we were having fun, sometimes we would ride the same ride over and over with our friends and family once we had made the loop at least three or for times. Then choosing the best rides to ride until we had to leave or we couldn’t walk straight.


It was nearly 4 pm when I ran into Dad with Mom and our two trouble makers. Shawn growled “freak” when he saw me. Mom slapped him across the face, telling him this was his 1st warning. I didn’t ask what happens when he reaches 3 knowing from experience that you don’t want to make the 3rd one. Mom asked calmly as if it was normal if we were having fun and I said yes thinking what a dumb question, but I was saved by the ride that I was in too answer any more questions. Mom yelled back reminding me to meet at the gate at 6:30, I waved as the ride took off.


When they mean 7 pm they mean 7 pm as the rides shut down while they usher us like cattle out of the gate with smiles on our faces. We hated to leave the amusement park, but some of us had a long ride back home, but before we did Stringum had arranged a barbecue so we would be able to dine one last time together as family and friends, nothing to elaborate just a simple dinner with all the trimmings. As always I hated goodbye’s as I watched every one that wasn’t going back to Stringum’s get on one of the three buses. It hurt seeing my mother and brother along with my sisters get on the bus, but I didn’t belong with them. I belonged with the Rothwell’s. My mother promised me next visit no problems, a promise I knew would be impossible to keep as long as my father and my sister were in the house.


Once more I tried to feel numb and loosing as I quickly took my seat sobbing as Mom put her arm around me, Shawn grinned seeing me called me a cry baby. Dad got up and moved Arthur to an empty seat and sat right next to Shawn, I cringed as Dad let the monster out of his cage hearing Shawn wailing as he covered his nose which was bleeding. I didn’t even see Dad hit him with his seat behind me and Mom holding me close to her chest. Telling me everything is going to be alright like she and Dad does every time I say goodbye; and they tell me this is better than feeling numb, trust me it's not.


You would think I would be used to it by now or old enough to handle saying goodbye to the people you love. I remember a time it didn’t and seemed easier to say goodbye knowing once you walked out that door alive with only a few new bruises that you considered it a good home-visit. The hardest part about saying goodbye was too my baby brother at that time. Now that my mother was back into my life showing me she really does love me, made it even harder to say those words. Yet in a few short years saying goodbye didn’t tear me apart anymore when it came to my mother and my brother. The roles would change and I wouldn’t be shedding any more tears for my mother or my brother. Fate hates me, or God does… or, are they one and the same?


It had seemed I had just closed my eyes when I had woken when we pulled up to the Rothwell’s house. I was surprised by it because I had thought we were heading back to Stringum’s, and no one said differently. I didn’t ask questions just simply got off the bus and followed everyone else, watching the bus drive off with the remainder of my friends just as confused as me. It wasn’t until I got into my room when Mom and Dad told me what was going on. It seemed logical that it would be easier if we are home instead of making the long trek from Stringum’s to and from school. Yet that wasn’t entirely the entire plan as Mom and Dad closed the door.


Apparently, they had a different plan involved using us boys as bait to draw out the people that have been vandalizing the neighborhood. The plan was to find out who are the ones giving out our locations and the ones responsible for all the vandalism. I prayed it was none of my friends. Something told me it was, but I didn’t know who and the reason why. The very reason I suspected them was that my three best friends Ron, Stan and Charlie’s homes haven’t been hit by vandalism, only my new recent friends Adams, Jake’s as well as my own home and the Rothwell home, plus no one had mentioned them when they came hunting for us. Only ones they were looking for was me, Jake, Billy, and Adam. Well as far as I knew at the time.


Mom and Dad quickly had us pick out the clothes Jake, Adam and I were going to wear fold them neatly into our backpacks and told us to tell no one where we would be staying while everyone else thought we are here and had decided to come home where we belong. Adam and his sisters left first in clear view of the entire family including Shawn and Arthur as our friends hug us and thanks us for letting them stay here until their home was finished being repaired and got into their car as we waved to them that we will see them all in school tomorrow. Our parents had us get ready for bed after taking a quick shower just in case it was someone inside our home that was giving out the information, which was unlikely considering like me we were thinking it was one of my friends.


So After family prayer Jake, Billy and I went to bed. Well more like waiting for the signal when it was our turn to leave the house. I was on pins and needles praying it wasn’t any of my friends because of how tight we were as best friends for life thing. Man, I hoped it wasn’t one of them. When the clock struck 9:30 we left my room passing the open bedroom of my three brothers as well as Shawn and Arthur sitting at the table doing homework still in our boxers as if we were just going to watch some TV until bedtime.


The phone rang as planned as Mom picked it up said. “Well hello Mrs. Strous, I think that’s a great idea all send the boys right over. Say in about 15 minutes.” Mom hung up the phone and said to us that Mrs. Strous and her husband had been called away at the last minute for emergency regarding their Grandfather had been sent to the hospital over the weekend due to a heart attack. And was wondering Ron and his sister could stay here overnight. Well, that knocked Ron off the list for now anyway. We waited for Ron and his sister to show up; before our plan went into action. Once they arrived we waited for our bedtime, which was 11:00 o’clock being a school night.


When the hour arrived we all went to bed watching the clock until it reaches midnight and instead of going to bed we quickly dressed. When the clock struck 12 that was our queue to leave; Mom and Dad had instructed us to go out the backdoor through the garage pick up our backpacks that were waiting for us and go to Mr. Nile's houses. Where there would be a car waiting for us to take us to our real destination. The only one that knew about the car waiting for us was me. For the very reason, we didn’t know who was the informant was. Man, I hoped it wasn’t any of my friends.


Mr. Nile's quickly let us in and apologized for the mess seeing all the boxes stacked neatly against the wall I simply told him no apologies needed he was my best adult friend and he was the person who I was going to miss the most. We both had been through a lot over the years and inside it was tearing me apart, but we know it was for the best being with his family. I for one knew what that was like, wanting to be with the Downing’s and my little brother Aaron. It seemed God or fate didn’t want me to be happy always taking the people I love from me. I had until Friday before I really had to say goodbye not that it would be any easier as I watched the car pull up to the house. Watching Bishop Sakes come up to the door and greet us taking us to the next phase of our journey. Not even I knew where we would end up.


After three false trails my little group of friends which consisted of Billy, Jake, and Ron, we were told to put on blindfolds. We did so without questions and got into the car and were soon guided inside to where we would be spending the night so we thought.


At first, the room seemed small and cramped and it seemed odd that they wanted us to strip down to our skin blindfolded as I listened to them searching my backpack and my clothing for what, I could only guess at the time. Then placing the robes we had taken with us on us and a pair of boxers. Telling us not to ask any questions as they each whispered in our ears.


Once we had given the nod we were told to take the persons arm let them guide us to where we would be spending the night. Again the room seemed small as if the walls were close and tight. We walked for at least 15 minutes before we were back outside feeling the cold ground under my bare feet and the cold outdoor air. My senses were going crazy to where they were taking us or me I wasn’t sure how many of my friends were with me anymore. It became more confusing as we seemed to get back onto a bus and was guided to a seat. Unable to ask any questions, unable to take the blindfold off. I listened for anything that gave me a clue, but all I could hear and sense is the moving bus and listening to the person next to me breathing.


It seemed like forever as the bus kept stopping and hearing shuffling of feet and people taking seats, which told me I wasn’t alone. I was asked several times if I was alright, or if I was scared. Finding out the very person who was guiding me was Coach Brady. Once I knew who it was I felt the fear leave me. I trusted him with my life, having felt that same feeling that I felt let me know that this person could be trusted. It was when I heard a loud buzzer go off then hearing something like a motorized gate that I got concerned. After the bus pulled forward and come to a complete stop was when were told to remove the blindfold.


I didn’t know where we were, but what it looked like was some army compound and housing. We were told this is where we would be staying until the coast was clear for us to go home and still only be within 30 minute drive time to and from school. No phone calls will be allowed period unless supervised until the person or persons caught telling them of our location. Even our parents and the rest of our families have been relocated or are in the process of being relocated. We were also had been explained that people that had vandalized our homes have not been found and the names they had been given are being questioned by the police and only a portion of those have been found guilty.


We soon ordered to get off the bus noticing it was an army bus that I had seen in movies or at a base in Provo sitting in the compound. I would have been a little excited, because how cool it was living the life of movie star, but it was more real then cool; we were given our backpacks as we walked to out to our housing unit, the beds small but comfortable. It remained me how much I hated small twin beds. We were told lights out in ten and we would be awakened at zero 600 hundred. I looked at my watch and cringed.


Noting if I was lucky I would get 5 hours of sleep if that, even my friends seemed to cringe as we each were told stand in line in the order they put us in wearing nothing but our Army boxers as if we had been enlisted into the army. Giving us 10 minutes to unpack our backpacks and hang up our clothes we have brought with us from home and school books and homework, that had been searched for whatever they were looking for.


Stringum house seemed like a dream as we climbed into our beds. I was in the middle with Jake on one side and Adam on the other. While my three friends Ron, Stan and Charlie were sleeping across from me with the girls in a different building. Coach Brady was sleeping at the door and would walk down the rows of our beds making sure we were sleeping and not talking or whispering to each other, for good reasons. One we didn’t know who the traitor was, and two nobody was telling each other how they got here regarding their false trails and the fact we were supposed to be sleeping.


As promised at zero 600 hours we were awakened with loud whistles blowing and the lights blinding us as we were told to get our lazy butts out of those beds and shown how to make them until a quarter bounced on them. It reminded me when I lived with the Fry’s when I learned that method and it also stated I had gotten lazy over the years. I don’t know why we bothered to bring our own clothes from home when they insisted on us wearing an army tee shirt and pants, sock as well as the boxers. The only thing we could wear that was ours was our sneakers. Then told line up in the order given to us and follow in Army platoon style to the mess hall where we would eat and be given our orders. I could have killed Stringum for enlisting me and my friends into the Army life instead of spending our day’s incomplete comfort, but there was nothing I could do about it, so I followed my friends and obeyed like a good a boy. It was either that or doing 100 push-ups.


I once I had taken my seat with my tray in my hand following my assigned buddies Jake and Adam waiting for the rest of my friends to take their seats in the order they were given. I watched the rest of our group took their seats. Again we were told not to talk or think about talking to each other. Unless we absolutely had to which better be for a very good reason, if not then be penalized.


Coach Brady looked pleased as punch to see us sitting uncomfortable, and not having a single clue on what in the hell was going on. He waited giving us time to squirm yelled. “Ladies and Boys; the cheese has been placed in the trap and some of the mice have been caught. At this moment we have narrowed down our suspects. The people inside this tent are the cheese, the mice our traitors are not in here, that we know of or haven’t had the time to betray us as the cat is looking for their prizes. So far two more homes have been vandalized not severally last night. A few broken windows and little spray paint; which says they know that your home now and where they think you are.


“We have no doubt that you are being watched, the question is who and who has told them that you were home in the first place. When none of you inside this tent knew about where you were going, by laying false trails and blindfolding you so would not know where each of you was picked up from or how you have gotten here. You have been searched and will be each day before coming here and there will be a surprise inspection whenever we feel the need. I am sorry, but life is unfair and complicated. The only person you can trust is yourself.


“Before you get on the bus you will be introduced to your new buddy who will see to it that you’re a safe untouched, unharmed, but only if you need them. They will not help you if you get into a fight of your own making. Knowing you are able to take care of it yourself. Which many of you are, and they will not help you cheat on your tests or help you with your homework. They are only there if those mice come after you while you’re in school or at home.


“You must be on the bus by 15 hundred hours each day and blindfold and in the compound by 18 hundred hours ready for bed and homework done, showered by 22 hundred hours. Lights out at 23 hundred hours; do I make myself clear?” He waited for us to say yes sir, and then said. “Good. The bus leaves at zero 7 hundred make sure you are on it.” It was a very good thing I knew how to read military time all because of Mr. Fry. It also meant we had 30 minutes to finish breakfast and get ourselves on the bus.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

39 Views
Added on May 22, 2019
Last Updated on February 9, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep