Opening Poem

Opening Poem

A Chapter by Shep

O Harkin

 

 O Harkin my fellow friends and comrades upon the fields of time. The trumpet calls thee, the beat of the might drum.  O Harkin the swords of my ancestors, bones of the mighty that have fallen. O Harkin to the voice, for the battle rages on, upon the fields on high. Raise thy flag,  for victory, Rise thy flag to follow thee. For we march as one with sword or powder. For country, for freedom we harkin of and for the fields of time.


O Harkin Mothers cry not for your husband nor the boys, for duty calls them as the trumpet blows. Mothers, Sister, Brother it is thee the drum beats for. Their sword is swift with Crimson fire, wield in thy hands. Muskets and balls of fire, they shall solute thee upon the lands. For it is not a battle of man they go to battle for, but of the heart, soul and of the mind. For they bring back with them, the soul of victory, for others may not have to go.


 O Harkin comrades young and old, the voice of us all. That mighty trumpet of time it has called. For it has or will never be forgotten as the flags of its glory reaches home. O Harkin old bones of our ancestors foretold, our hearts of Crimson Fire touches thee and burns bright upon our minds and our soul.  


O Harkin to the trumpet my friends as we are called home. For we raise thy flags and shoulder thy Muskets with dignity as we wait for the trumpet to be called.              


    



© 2011 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

nice keep goign 1:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Excellent!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like this poem. Feel of the old writers from the past in the tone of the words. I like the strength and power in the words. A excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


A cool, atmospheric poem! You took me right to the moment, to the call to arms!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Excellent read! Great story it told!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Well done! I felt like i was there.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very nice poem you have here. It's better than the one you had before, but still I'm not sure why you changed it. I hope you didn't delete the first poem because it was good and I liked it.

In this one I really enjoy your repetition of the phrase, "O Harkin". Using it in such a way really draws the poem together, giving a sense of oneness to the narrative. This poem has an overwhelmingly epic feel to it, a battle of soldiers throughout time, for time. Almost like the souls of the dead going to war against something so evil that a divine being, God maybe, has called them to service. And they, being faithful and full of love for their countries and the ones they died to protect, answer that call. The closing about them waiting for the trumpet to be called reminds me of the Book of Revelation in the Bible. At the end of days a trumpet will be sounded, heralding the coming of the Kingdom and all the souls of the dead shall be called to Heaven where judgement shall be passed.

Just beautiful this is.

Bravo.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This makes me want to take up arms and march somewhere...lol... I like the old style of words you used and the inspiration. Well done.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
EMF
Nice work. Not only have you done your research into the period, you've also researched the language. That impresses me. Nice to know some of us are out there doing research. The poem itself reflects many of the documented speaches of the period, but stands alone as a heart stirrer to draw you into what I assume will be the themes and ideas of the work. It does what an introduction does and encourages me to read the book. If I read this on a front piece I'd buy the book off the back of it. Were I to suggest a slight adjustment, it would simply be to edit the spacing between stanza so that they balance. Probably just a typo, but just makes it work on the eye a little better. And if that's the only suggestion, well, not a thing to worry about here.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

844 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 31, 2011
Last Updated on September 3, 2011


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


My Truth My Truth

A Poem by Tate Morgan