Chapter 2- Chapter 2- Its a big world out there

Chapter 2- Chapter 2- Its a big world out there

A Chapter by Nanaki
"

Vaan and Kane discuss Van's future in the village. But are there other roads he may take

"
Kane finished his story and was met with cheers from is audience. ‘One more’! They cried.

‘Not tonight it’s getting late, now be off with you’ He replied laughing at their sad faces.

When all had left only Vaan, Kane's grandson remained. Vaan was now 18, turning into a man. His brown hair was as usual ruffled but that was his way. Kane had always loved spending time with Vaan not because he had his late mothers deep green eyes but because he was a joy to be around. He was good natured, always smiling and quick to learn new things.

‘Good story Grandpa, as always’ Vaan said.

‘It’ll be you telling them one day my lad, along with a few of your own I don’t doubt’ Kane smiled back. ‘Your mother loved that story, Terra was always pretending as a child to be a druid’.

Vaan smiled, he remembered his mother but she’d died of an illness when he was still young.

'I can see why, its a good one. I cant help but wonder though if there are any Tsuki clan members left today? For real, not just in the story’.

Kane chuckled ' I’ll be damned if I know my boy’.

Since Terra had died Kane had looked after the boy. The boys father had disappeared without a trace not long after Terra found out she was pregnant. She had always told Vaan he came from Vietok which is a noble city right across the open glades passed the grand council’s walled city and out towards the high mountains. Despite knowing all this both her and Kane had never told the boy his father’s name and for good reason Kane would say ' Bloody useless waste of a man! Leaving a woman to raise a child on her own in these parts. Christ!’

Now Vaan was nearly a man he would soon choose his own path within the village. Would he become a farmer to provide for the village? Would he become a merchant and trade with neighbouring villages and cities? Would he become the next stable-master and raise the best stallions the glades had ever known? Or would he follow Kane and become an underling to be in line as the next Elder for when Kane parted from this world?

Kane looked at his Grandson and sighed ' I know the village is keen to see where you will end up and have been repeatedly pestering you for an answer, but I think personally your hearts elsewhere?’

Vaan eyed his Grandpa carefully, Kane was very good at reading body language and saying what was on your mind. He’d told Vaan he had learned to read minds from a wizard when he was younger but Vaan thought that was just his grandpa teasing him.

'Grandpa.. I dont know what I should be doing truthfully. I would like to see the world but not to trade but to go because I can. I want to sleep out under the stars and hear wild wolves cry out from there peak before the moon. I want to see the noble city of Vietok atop the mountain range it sits on, to see the grand council’s walled city, to visit Mungaden or whats left of it...’
Vaan went on.
Kane eyed Vaan 'You know lad I too wanted that when I was your age and as you know for a time I did travel the world but like all things, there is only so long before the open road comes to an end and you settle down, have a family and live happily ever ... you get the idea. My point is I dont know if I can let you go out there’.

Vaan looked at Kane ' How come Grandpa?’

'The village of Onka has and will continue to be my best decision for this family. The people here live the simple life, they like the stories sure but not many of them here want to venture out into the open world to learn magic or fight beasts. The Tsuki clan has and always will be famous Vaan but the best bit about the clan is here in Onka they would never know they had been harbouring multiple clan members for the past 40 years!’

  


© 2017 Nanaki


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oooohhhh ... I hate it when I start reading something and then I find out the writer hasn't finished it yet. The story is well written so for. I can't honestly say what I think of the story though, because nothing has really happened yet.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
1 Review
Added on February 21, 2017
Last Updated on February 21, 2017
Tags: Nanaki, Tsuki clan, fantasy, book, literature, rheardon, elder, elder kane, terra, voitek, mungaden, dragons, wolves, bears, eagles, mystical


Author

Nanaki
Nanaki

United Kingdom



About
just me. Have a avid interest in fantasy more towards medieval and magic rather than sci fi. more..

Writing
A heros exile A heros exile

A Story by Nanaki