Well-known Host of Worlds Luminaries Brings Ritz Carlton to PICA

Well-known Host of Worlds Luminaries Brings Ritz Carlton to PICA

A Story by Sally Shiv
"

As the Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency (PICA) turns a new leaf, incoming Chairman of the Board, famous Ocho Rios businessman and philanthropist Joe Issa, is urging customers to remain.

"

As the Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency (PICA) turns a new leaf, incoming Chairman of the Board, famous Ocho Rios businessman and philanthropist Joe Issa, is urging customers to remain positive about their expectations of the decades-old institution.

Issa, who is one of Jamaica’s most recognisable faces, according to the Jamaica Observer, said in an interview, that PICA is redefining its vision and revolutionising its operations to take the customer experience to an unprecedented level since becoming a government agency in 2007.

 

Equating PICA’s customer experience to that which is obtained in the first world, Issa is benchmarking its services against those of Bill Gates’ Microsoft, the American Embassy in Jamaica and Ritz Carlton, and is reflecting this in a new mantra: “I have not been to Ritz Carlton, but I have been to PICA!”

 

Often referred to as a business guru for building an empire from just US$3,500 in 1995, Issa is better known for the service quality of his over-50 Cool Group companies, his philanthropy, civic-mindedness and having a penchant for hosting international luminaries.

 

Believed to be a keen listener, especially of his customers, Issa said he takes his cue for ultimate customer satisfaction from the intuitive Bill Gates, who once said, “Our most unhappy customers are our greatest source of learning.”

In what is probably one of the most anticipated chairman’s messages in the agency’s annual reports, Issa gave several clues of what to expect.

 

“Going forward we are focusing our attention, more than ever before, on the experience we are giving to our customers when they come to our offices. In fact, by next year, many of them won’t have to come at all, to access our services.

 

“We have a new consciousness of listening and learning, and that is driving the many solutions we are bringing to our customers whenever they interface with us, both real and virtual. It will be no less than the superior quality service of a Ritz Carlton,” Issa said in the interview.

 

Top of Issa’s list of improvements are greater courtesy, professionalism, physical comfort and convenience served seamlessly, with pride, humility, respect and elegance.


Among the measures which Issa speaks of include earlier opening hours, reducing the time spent on the line, giving customers the choice of leaving and returning later instead of waiting, taking applications online and sending documents by courier.

Also, Issa said they are looking to significantly reduce the time taken to process overseas visa applications and stand in line upon arriving at Sangster International Airport.


Last year, over 300,000 Jamaicans received their passports, and there is potential for an increase of some 30 percent, Issa said.


Over 25,000 overseas visa applications were also processed, at an average turnaround time of six weeks, which Issa wants to reduce significantly, by placing PICA agents and equipment at the various embassies in Jamaica.

Issa also stated that he and his directors and the management team at PICA are working towards making the long line at its offices and international airports “a thing of the past”.


PICA is mandated by law to accept and process passport applications, manage Jamaica’s immigration processes and handle matters about an application for and renunciation of Jamaican citizenship.


It processes applications for visitors, skilled workers, entrepreneurs, refugees and those reporting lost, stolen, damaged or found immigration documents.

 

An agency of the Ministry of National Security, PICA works closely with the Jamaica Defense Force to protect the island’s borders.

© 2018 Sally Shiv


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on November 1, 2017
Last Updated on February 1, 2018
Tags: joe Issa, Joe Issa Jamaica, Joseph Issa, Joseph Issa Jamaica, Joey Issa, Joey Issa Jamaica, Jamaica