Touch Elder's Feet

Touch Elder's Feet

A Poem by Shivam Murari
"

The poem takes on and discusses the blind following of old traditions being considered as good and the belief that youth is spoiled.

"






Touch Elder’s Feet

 

Beta, take the tea to the drawing room

First comb your hair and make a respectful smile

Serve the tea and touch their feet

Respect your elders, that is Indian style.

 

Heard my mother, as I always heed

Did the task, but it was a task indeed.

But a question had got stuck amiss

And it wouldn’t get off, until I wrote this.

Is the respect in the union of our hand and their feet,

Or is it in the sincere, honest and heartfelt greet?

 

“Youth is spoilt,” elders always complain,

“This isn’t modernity,” I don’t refrain.

Touching elder’s feet does no harm

It has been our culture since the time of Lord Ram.

But what is the meaning of the culture

If there is no respect in the heart,

We need to have the feeling

And not the idol on the cart!



© 2013 Shivam Murari


Author's Note

Shivam Murari
Though the poem is about an Indian culture, but it has just been taken as a symbol for many other cultures in many other regions and religions which are blindly considered by their followers as being 'good' without reflecting about it. The lack of acceptance of new ideas have also been dealt with.

GLOSSARY -
Beta (Hindi) = son
spoilt = spoiled
Lord Ram = A Hindu God.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very interesting poem. I personally believe in respecting elders - if they deserve it, however, I also believe in understanding traditions and making sure they suite the times. There's no need to stand on ceremony, especially if it's out dated. And I personally can't stand feet. I won't even touch my husbands feet. There's no way in hell I'm touching some body else's feet. It doesn't matter if it's Lord Ram, the Dali Lama, or Jesus. It isn't happening. I'd gladly give them the shirt off my back or go to the ends of the earth to get them a glass of water...anything else to show them respect. But I am not touching someone's feet. Like I said...updated traditions.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shivam Murari

10 Years Ago

I was waiting for this! This is so much of what I had in my head while I was writing this poem!Thoug.. read more



Reviews

This was an interesting read on a custom I was not familiar with. Thank you for that, Shivam.
I do not know the answers to your questions, though I think it is a good and viable one to ask.

Very interesting piece and a good job putting it together. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shivam Murari

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Rogue. Well, I agree you don't know about this custom but you could definitely ans.. read more
Rogue

10 Years Ago

I think perhaps in both. You can have the utmost respect for someone and either in anger or just unt.. read more
Shivam Murari

10 Years Ago

Yes, that is one of the things that I attempt to mark on too! :-)
An interesting concept, really. Where does the respect come from? Does it legitimately flow from the people, or from centuries of culture and regularity? You raise an interesting matter of debate in a very readable, pleasant way. Nicely done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shivam Murari

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Will, for the awesome and encouraging review. :)
Perhaps you outshine all your previous masterpieces with this!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shivam Murari

10 Years Ago

Well, that is so flattering! :)
Your poems have always touched my heart and, from the reviews and the number of views, seems many other's too! This one hits right on the weakest and unimaginable point! You're so true in saying that most of the tasks are done involutarily and we don't even look back and think why we did them! Everything comes across clearly and effectively! Mesmerizing and enlightening work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shivam Murari

10 Years Ago

Quirky, your words are so nicely inspiring! Thank you so, so much!
I liked it very much...makes one think ..I always respect my elders even if they don't deserve it ;-)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shivam Murari

10 Years Ago

Thank you Kitbit for reading and expressing.:)
Shivam, this splendid piece of art doesn't only make us think deeply but also sheds off all the cover of cliche that had gathered on you because of some of your past poems. This is so good and so new and so DIFFERENT that it makes me feel its your best work till date!
Very well done!
Perfect!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shivam Murari

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Lones. As ever, your words encourage me again! :)
A nice piece Shivam. Questions the holding of hollow traditions descriptively.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shivam Murari

10 Years Ago

Thank you kind sir for reading and expressing! :)
Lord Ram and even before.. the day the Indian culture was born we were taught this.. I just loved this thiwrite! Thanks so much for sharing :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shivam Murari

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Dakshta. Yes, I agree that this has been Indian culture since time before Lord Ram.. read more
Coming originally from the middle east we show a lot of respect and admiration to our elders or senior citizens or elderly family members but no rituals at all like you said just in the actions and heart. Being kind to them with kind words and listening even heeding their wisdom if you agree with it...A very good social write...:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

I agree with your belief then...You are welcome...:)
Shivam Murari

10 Years Ago

....... :)
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

^^~^^ :)...........

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3034 Views
50 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 13, 2013
Last Updated on October 26, 2013
Tags: Touch Elder's Feet, Respect, Honour, Greet, Modernity

Author

Shivam Murari
Shivam Murari

India



About
Shivam Murari is a student, currently aspiring to get into a good college. He loves to write poems, loads of them. He usually gets very random ideas, which he thinks are pretty cool, and in the proces.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..