'The Poet'

'The Poet'

A Poem by Siddartha Beth Pierce

‘The Poet’

 

There is a dark house in some town.  The mailbox is rusted and tilted to one side.  There is three days of uncollected mail in it.  The house is an old brick rambler with green aluminum siding.  All the windows are open in the house.  There are small flower boxes outside each window.  There are no screens on the windows so the bugs fly in and out freely.

 

Inside, the house is shadowed.  Yet, there is lots of light that comes in the through the open windows.  The corners of the rooms look like kaleidoscopes of light and shadows.  The absence of furniture and wall decoration makes the house look very spacious.

 

Back behind the kitchen there is a small den with a red carpet and cinderblocks and 2x4’s which hold an incredible amount of books.

 

The room is damp and there is the smell of dusty decaying books.  At the far end of the room is a small window that does not open.  Below it is a desk-small, old and the varnish has been worn in places so that the oak wood shows.  The wood has begun to splinter.

 

In front of a crumby, pathetic typewriter sits a gray and tired man.  His face hangs, as if he has no skull.

© 2013 Siddartha Beth Pierce


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The imagery in this is wonderful. I particularly love when you describe the corners of the room as a kaleidoscope of light and shadows and the way you end the poem as sharply as it is begun.

I also really enjoy, in the first paragraph especially, how you describe the scene in short jarring sentences rather than combining them into something eloquent and flowy.

Beautiful

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Hi
I like the detailed imagery here of the scene. It is much imagery with implied emotion; the most perhaps at the end where you call the typewriter pathetic and the man tired. Thanks.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The imagery in this is wonderful. I particularly love when you describe the corners of the room as a kaleidoscope of light and shadows and the way you end the poem as sharply as it is begun.

I also really enjoy, in the first paragraph especially, how you describe the scene in short jarring sentences rather than combining them into something eloquent and flowy.

Beautiful

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your world of creative writing takes your readers to different part of the world, that is form form of magic and your spell:) simply amazing

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cool prosaic style. It reeks of suspense, I found myself holding my breath, bracing myself for some demon to jump out. It's cinematic, like a wide landscape daring to pull closer and closer in and explore this uncolonized space. Dread.

I'd fix 'wall decoration', because it subtly hurts the flow. I'd omit the word 'pathetic' because you don't need it, it's too close to the old man and therefore transparently a commentary on him. Besides that it's really compelling stuff

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thaddius

10 Years Ago

I actually didn't mind 'wall decoration' when I read it again. The tone is sparse and technical, the.. read more
Siddartha Beth Pierce

10 Years Ago

Cheers mon ami - thank you for reading...
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Interesting. Very interesting. I like your imagery, but I feel that you could benefit from more descriptive verbs and using active voice instead of passive voice. For example, you say, "The room is damp and there is the smell of dusty decaying books." Instead, you could say something like, "The smell of dusty decaying books permeates the damp room." I think simple changes like that would really make a difference in this. Overall, still good!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Thaddius

10 Years Ago

I think the passive style is an artful way to embody the spirit of this rooted, wilting man. She zoo.. read more
Thaddius

10 Years Ago

And on strong verbs: yes, I agree with you completely. But deader, weaker verbs make it colloquial a.. read more
Brook

10 Years Ago

Hmm, fair point. As far as style goes, I suppose it could work. I just hesitate to assume that it wa.. read more
Interesting. Very interesting. I like your imagery, but I feel that you could benefit from more descriptive verbs and using active voice instead of passive voice. For example, you say, "The room is damp and there is the smell of dusty decaying books." Instead, you could say something like, "The smell of dusty decaying books permeates the damp room." I think simple changes like that would really make a difference in this. Overall, still good!

Posted 10 Years Ago


I like the detail and atmosphere you create in this piece Beth. Cooool ending. 100/100

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Siddartha Beth Pierce

10 Years Ago

This is me actually - not a he...but thank you for commenting kind Sir.
Oh wow! What an intense and amazing image you craft here. It speaks to me of a writers end of days, when the ink simply is gone and all that's left is an emotionless husk. In these words, time has already begun to erase the flesh of they who once were or might have been.

...it's kinda depressing... But I love the detailed descriptions, so that brings a grin!

Great Ink!
Aaron - Wolfwind

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1073 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 24, 2013
Last Updated on August 24, 2013

Author

Siddartha Beth Pierce
Siddartha Beth Pierce

Richmond, VA



About
Artist, Poet, Educator, African and Contemporary Art Historian more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..