Fireflies

Fireflies

A Story by Alicia™
"

A simple short story based on the song Fireflies by Owl City.

"

Aiden pressed the play button on the little radio the sat on the grass, and one of his favorite songs filled the air. He closed his eyes, and his body swayed to the melody.

 

 

You would not believe your eyes

If ten million fireflies

Lit up the world as I fell asleep

‘Cuz they fill the open air

And leave teardrops everywhere

You think me rude, but I would just stand and stare

 

I'd like to make myself believe

That planet earth turns slowly

It's hard to say that I'd rather stay awake when I'm asleep

‘Cuz everything is never as it seems

 

“Hey babe, you awake?” called Xena, his girlfriend.

 

“Huh? Oh, sorry. I just really like this song…” he replied, slowly opening his eyes, with a dreamy expression on his face.

 

“Yeah, I know you love it. That’s why I got you something.”

 

He opened his eyes wider, and Xena looked into his gorgeous eyes. They sparkled under the moonlight, and he looked just breath-taking.

 

She brought out a clear, glass jar, and held it out for him to see. He gasped when he saw the two glowing fireflies.

 

“Xen… where’d you find them?” he whispered in the dark. His eyes were focused on the two creatures that exuded light out of their bodies.

 

“Let’s just say I know a place,” she replied coyly, winking at him.

 

Cuz I saved a few and I keep 'em in a jar

 

The song played softly in the background, and he smiled at the one in front of him. The wind blew in her hair, and it whipped across her face. He reached out, and hung her coal black locks behind her ear.

 

“What do you say we set them free?” he asked her silently taking a step closer to her.

 

She nodded, and he took the jar from her.

 

“Can I help you?” she asked, looking up at him.

 

He placed her hand over his, and began to twist the jar open.

 

The little critters flew around frantically, anticipating the cold night air.

 

“Go fly,” he said, with the final twist.

 

Two little fireflies flew out excitedly, and whirled into the sky. They flew several rounds around them, and intertwined their flight pattern as they flew.

 

Aiden turned his gaze from the fireflies, to Xena.

 

She looked into those beautiful eyes, the color exquisite. He leaned in closer to her, and the music continued to play on.

 

‘Cuz I get a thousand hugs

From ten thousand lightning bugs

As they try to teach me how to dance

A foxtrot above my head

A sockhop beneath my bed

The disco ball is just hanging by a thread

 

Her eyelids lowered slightly, and he came closer. She felt his breath gently blowing on her face, warm and light.

 

Their lips met, and the sparks flew between them. His soft lips separated from hers, and they were joined again.

 

Fireflies flew about and enclosed them in their moment.

© 2009 Alicia™


Author's Note

Alicia™
I just got sort of lost at the end, and I just did this for fun, so I didn't really edit much...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good write

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
1 Review
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 5, 2009
Last Updated on October 12, 2009

Author

Alicia™
Alicia™

Where dreamers reside



About
Hello, everyone! I don't think I really need to say my name, but I love getting to know people, so feel free to leave me a message. One thing though: please don't send me read requests for books or.. more..

Writing
Galaxy Galaxy

A Poem by Alicia™


Beyond You Beyond You

A Poem by Alicia™