That Bright, Bright Sun

That Bright, Bright Sun

A Story by Silent Sonata
"

A man, a sun, a sinking night.

"

Resting atop the grey-ish silhouettes of thin clouds, a dim spark appeared like a candle light. It rose and rose, oh how so ever beautiful. Then the spark melted inwards, shaping out a small ball like a newborn star, and it floated more greatly upwards like a balloon free from the grasp of a child’s hand. The thin wavy clouds formed into slithering snakes that tailed ribbons of hot vapor behind them, coiling their ways across the rising sun.

A heated blanket of light bathed my body in fine little fires that smoldered beneath my bleak suit. A rush of sensation ran up and through my quivering spine. Oh, how so ever wonderful.

Then, the sun curved upwards, forming a concave shape like a crescent moon. The moon lingered, dimming its way into the damp night, before finally fading into a patch of firm smoke. Only the snakes of vapor remained, lost and confused in the velvet night.

I dropped my rifle. Why bother carrying it? I tore my patch. Why bother wearing it?

The night formed cold and unforgiving in the endless void of man’s desire, sinking its bitter colors into all life around. A cracking whip split the air in two, throwing plumes of dust up from the ground below. I stood and waited for the clouds to reform their waves, but the snakes still quivered, slowly and disturbingly. Steadily, a silence gathered around and a light thunder roared from the rolling mountain tops. The world had made its pitiful surrender into the frigid and bleak. A world once beautiful and livid now made waste by that bright, bright sun.

© 2017 Silent Sonata


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Silent Sonata
First short, all criticism is welcome!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Where's the rest of the story, I was just getting into it :P The excessive description is not out of place, due to this being mostly atmospheric. Play some more with this and you can make a really interesting plot from this.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Silent Sonata

7 Years Ago

Thanks man! I'm actually planning on adding to this story in the future so be sure to keep an eye ou.. read more
This wasn't bad at all, I enjoyed it. I was a bit disappointed with the length to be honest, it could have been a bit longer. But it flowed, and that's what makes a good story. You did very well, I'm looking forward to reading more.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Silent Sonata

7 Years Ago

Thanks! I had to keep it under 500 words while writing it so I could submit it to a contest. But don.. read more
Cœur

7 Years Ago

That's good to hear :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 13, 2017
Last Updated on April 13, 2017

Author

Silent Sonata
Silent Sonata

Denver, CO



About
I am a pretty bad writer who mainly does Horror and Sci-fi. Beyond all that however, I'm just a normal dude who doesn't know what he's doing. more..

Writing