The Caroler in the Top Hat

The Caroler in the Top Hat

A Story by Silent_Wolf
"

CHRISTMAS! YEAH!!!

"
THE CAROLER IN THE TOP HAT


Let me tell you the story.

It was a dark, cold, snowy winter night in some old city in the north, ten days before the magical night that all children dream of (but I don't have the luxury of) Christmas Eve. Everyone was rushing to finish shopping for presents, and the sidewalks were packed with people, almost as tightly as the street was packed with cars. The stores were lit with glowing yellow lights, and toys were displayed in many windows, set in lovely and christmasy scenes. 

A young boy was singing Christmas carols at the edge of the sidewalk, singing off of a song sheet. Sitting in the snow in front of him was an upside-down black top hat with a red ribbon tied in a bow around the base.

"Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful. And since we've no place to go, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!"

A few people stopped and tossed a buck into the hat, others laughed and spat their gum into the hat. When the fifth person when up to the hat and got ready to spit, the boy stopped him and asked,

"Why don't I tell you how I got this hat?"

"Sure, that sounds fine. Tell away." Said the person, sitting beside the boy on a nearby bench.

The boy picked up the hat and dumped out the money, then picked out all the gum. He put it on his head, and continued.

"It was two christmases ago, on Christmas Eve. I was caroling beside the sidewalk outside a theater that was playing 'The Nutcracker'...."

 -FLASHBACK-

"I wish you a merry Christmas, I wish you a merry Christmas, I wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year!"

It was a lovely day, snow was falling in fresh, pearly layers on the ground. The sidewalk was full of grateful, happy people. Suddenly, a man dressed in a black tux and a fancy top hat. He was twirling a black staff in his hands like it was a baton, and he was humming "Deck The Halls". He spotted me and ran over.

"Hey, kid! You wanna be a STAR?" He said, gripping my shoulder and making a sweeping motion with his free arm.

"Really?" I said, my eyes sparkling.

He nodded, and led me into the theater. The play had just ended. The audience was about to leave.

"Go up there and sing your heart out!" He whispered.

"What? But I can't!" I said back.

"Sure you can!"

He shoved me out onto the stage. The audience looked up at me and stopped, then started sitting back down.

I gulped. This had all happened so fast...

"It's the most wonderful time of the year!" I sang.

-end of song-

"It's the most wonderful time of the year, there'll be much mistltoeing, and hearts will be glowing, when loved ones are near! It's the most wonderful time, of the year!"

The crowd clapped, I bowed, then ran offstage, breathing hard.

"Oh wow! I can't believe it! I-I actually went up on stage and sang!"

"Of course you did!" Said the tux-man, walking up to me. He was holding his top hat in his arms, and it had a red ribbon tied in a bow around it.

"You did good, kid. Merry Christmas!" The man smiled, and handed me the hat.

"You're a great kid. You sing from your heart, I can tell. And that's what matters in a Christmas carol. You're a star!"

I took the hat and put it on. And now, I've sung from my heart, and I haven't much cared what others thought. Because the words I sang were my own (even though I didn't write the song).

-FLASHBACK OVER-

"Nice spin, kid." The man handed me a 

© 2013 Silent_Wolf


Author's Note

Silent_Wolf
It's a little fast-paced, but I think you'll like it. :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
Added on December 4, 2013
Last Updated on December 4, 2013
Tags: hot chocolate, candy canes, holiday, Christmas, sweet

Author

Silent_Wolf
Silent_Wolf

Wilkesboro, NC



About
I love writing stories about wolves, foxes, cats... heck, canines, felines, or animals of any kind! Humans are too confusing to write about. My photo is of a pet I used to own. She ran away a long tim.. more..

Writing
RIP RIP

A Book by Silent_Wolf


Rip, Part 2 Rip, Part 2

A Chapter by Silent_Wolf