I'm not a boy

I'm not a boy

A Story by Silas

I didn't bother to look back as my family left me, I knew they wouldn't be looking at me either. I kept my face down and hair over my eyes, my thumbs shoved in my pockets. I check my phone quickly as the people start to crowd around me. My heart sinks. No messages. I slip my phone back in my pocket and I try to hold the feeling of abandonment.

A man opens the door and takes several of us in but I'm left outside with the other out casts and loners. Those people who no one cares to get to know. I glance up now, hoping to find some one else who looks just as miserable, but as soon as I do the man comes back and takes the rest of us inside.

We gathered in a line and watched as all the perfect people gossiped with friends, most people envy them but I don't. In my eyes they don't deserve half the attention they get. But I just stay quiet and try not to draw anymore attention to myself than I already am, meaning I, intentionally, looked like a dyke. The room goes silent all of a sudden and the guy behind me sneezes. I say, "Blesh you." as I always do when someone sneezes, but the second the words slipped from my lips I knew I'd already screwed up. Everyone in the room turned to look at me and I could hear the prissy girls in front snarling nasty comments about how I look.

I close my eyes and grit my teeth, my fists clenched at my sides. It'll be over soon enough, just hold on. I tell myself, trying to block out every disgusting word that was coming from their hideously glossy lips.

"Who is taking the Geometry test?" The man asked, his voice booming over us.

Four of us raise our hands.

"Three? Ok, follow me."

"Wait...You forgot..." I start to say but every ones staring at me as my hushed voice rings through the large room. I close my mouth and just the follow the man and the three Asians who were taking the same test as me.

"Four? Young man you need to speak up next time." He glared at me. More snickers from the populars.

Let them laugh...You're at least three times smarter than they'll ever be. But I don't believe myself and I start to feel the doubt slowly pour into me like a drug meant to kill.

We sit down one by one and he places a form in front of each of us. "Fill this out." He says flatly.

We nod our heads and fill the paper out, when we're done he takes them and reads them aloud.

"Matt Smith, from Loomis. Adrian Howler from Loomis. Mike Kyrtell from Loomis. Sarah Eckhardt..." A questioning tone in his voice, "From Citrus Heights?" He looks at us all, then looks at the paper, then looks at us again, then he laughs. " Ahhh one of you is funny! Please don't tell me one of your guy's name is Sarah, or I'm gonna die of laughter! Who names their son Sarah! Hah!"

I look up slowly and raise my hand, I opened my mouth and spoke as quietly as I could but my voice still sounded loud and soft, "Sir, I'm Sarah..."

He stopped mid laugh and stared at me. "Say that again I didn't hear ya."

I spoke a little louder, "I'm Sarah, Sir."

"My God. Are you a girl?" He asked sounding amazed.

I close my eyes and shook my head up and down, the snickers from the side of the room were getting to me and I felt a dampness in my eyes.

"Oh..." His voice trailed off and he looked away awkwardly, then clapped his hands. "Alright everyone else is taking the Algebra test! So find a seat and sit down!"

Everyone kept staring at me and pointing, I was starting to wonder if I should just get up and leave this torture room.

© 2013 Silas


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
Added on January 21, 2013
Last Updated on March 1, 2013

Author

Silas
Silas

Citrus Heights, CA



About
I go by several names. more..

Writing
________ ________

A Poem by Silas